Start by marking “Dairy Queen (Dairy Queen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dairy Queen (Dairy Queen, #1)

Dairy Queen

(Dairy Queen #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  26,910 ratings  ·  2,606 reviews
When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.
Harsh words indeed, from Brian Nelson of all people. But, D. J. can’t help admitting, maybe he’s right.

When you don’t talk, there’s a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.
Stuff like why her best friend, Amber, isn’t so friendly anymore. Or why her little brother, Curtis, never opens his mouth
Published June 4th 2007 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published May 22nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dairy Queen, please sign up.
Katie They end up having a "thing", where they both like each other and they both know it but they don't officially date in the first book. You get bits and…moreThey end up having a "thing", where they both like each other and they both know it but they don't officially date in the first book. You get bits and pieces about why the family split between Bill and Win and the rest of the family. Bill does come back for a day at the end of the book.(less)

·  26,910 ratings  ·  2,606 reviews

Kat Kennedy
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults and people of the female variety
Recommended to Kat Kennedy by: Tatiana
*Kat picks up book*

"What the hell is wrong with the cover? What were they THINKING?

*Twenty pages in*

"I'm reading a book about a dumb hick milking cows? Great! What the hell was Tatiana thinking, recommending me this book!"

*Fifty pages in*

"Hmmm, it's kind of interesting I suppose. D.J. is funny and cute... Brian is alright."

*One hundred pages in*

"Oh! I wonder what will happen next! This is really sweet! I didn't realize American football is so interesting and exhilarating!"

*Two hundred pages in*

"
Aj the Ravenous Reader
A very cute story about a 15 turning 16 year old girl named DJ who has only ever known life in her dad’s farm. She’s responsible, does what everyone expects of her, obedient and hardworking. Not much different from the cows she milks every day.

“And that’s what put me to sleep. Thinking about cows or elephant poops.” (LMAO!)

One day she decides she doesn’t want to be a cow anymore (and I mean this in a completely metaphorically way, so chill!)^^ and that’s where the plot becomes really interesti
Tatiana
Apr 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for a light realistic YA story
Recommended to Tatiana by: ala
Shelves: 2010, ya, chick-lit
After being burned MANY times by crap YA books, I made a decision to only read those that at some point earned critical recognition (if I judged books by GR reviewer's ratings, I suspect I would have to work my way through nonsense like Hush, Hush, Evermore, and The Luxe and I am not sure I am up for it any more). Dairy Queen made it to ALA's list of best YA books in 2007, so I decided to give it a try in spite of the awful cover and title. I was not disappointed.

15-year-old D.J. is forced to ta
Emily May
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When I finally found a spare two minutes to sit down and start reading this book, I suddenly ended up drawn in for a couple of hours discovering that Dairy Queen is just as ridiculously funny, silly, and heartwarming as everyone had told me it was. And strangely inspirational too - I love anyone who dares to break the mold, especially young females who challenge gender stereotypes and go their own way.

I will admit that I am not the biggest fan of chick lit novels, so I should warn you that th
Lola
I like seeing girls play sports in books, but this was really dull and maddening. The way the heroine was exploited made me sick to my stomach. It probably gets better but it was too repetitive and frustrating for me to finish.
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

That's one advantage to not talking. After a while people stop talking back.

I swear, I swear to you....I am not a snob. Really!! Swear!! But come on...look at this cover. It's a cow. In a tiara. With a blue sky in the background and named after a restaurant I love. What's a girl to think when she sees this? Oh well, guess it's a moot point...

photo moopoint_zpse2boevpu.gif

Because this book was fabulous. (okay, I was guna use that GIF anyway because duh, friends, but it just worked out so well ;) )

Basically what it came
Megan
Dairy Queen has got to be the best book hidden behind the worst cover/title ever. This isn’t a book I would have given a second glance at if it weren’t for so many Goodreads friends raving over it. Even looking past the cover, the synopsis here doesn’t sound great. One special summer in which our young protagonist, D.J. Schwenk spends time with a guy who is “out of her league”, figures out some family issues and goes out for the boys football team? This has the potential to be quirky in an oh-so ...more
Vinaya
Back in the good old days when Net Galley was a bountiful god instead of the clutch-fisted miser it is becoming, I used to go wild requesting every galley I could find. One of the books I requested was a novel about a girl who plays baseball on a boy's team. I never did read more than fifty pages of that one - it was pretty dry, but it did make me a little apprehensive about reading sports-related stories. Which is weird because I LOVE sports-related movies. I couldn't tell you the rules of Amer ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Jul 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Maja (The Nocturnal Library) by: Limonessa
I never thought I’d have fun reading about a belching contest of all things, but that’s exactly what happened. Murdock’s Dairy Queen is just the kind of YA I can truly enjoy: loads of fun on the surface, yet if you remember to look a little deeper, for the most part it’s not funny at all.

I noticed a long time ago that authors often have problems with creating characters that are quite average. On one side, most of them don’t even want to because they’re convinced that nobody likes to read about
Maggie Stiefvater
I debated for a long time whether I wanted to put this one in my five star section, because I didn't think the ending was as strong as I thought it could have been. But ultimately, the insanely true voice (by turns very funny and very touching) and nice working of common themes through the book (saying this is a realistic YA novel about cows and football is at once the truest and least true thing you could every say) makes me give this five stars.

Definitely just -- great voice.

***wondering why
Flannery
DJ Schwenk is a teenage girl growing up on a dairy farm in rural Wisconsin. Her family suffers from a lack of communication and the departure of her two older brothers, along with her father's hip surgery, have put even more strain on DJ. Her workload at school is overwhelming when she adds in all the work she has to do to keep the family farm running. Dairy Queen chronicles a few weeks of her summer vacation...if you can call it a vacation.

If you have to listen to professors talk about stuff l
Limonessa
May 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya-lit, favorites
....why couldn't Murdock just continue to write YA instead of delving into middle grade? Sorry, Ms. Murdock, I am not saying Wisdom's Kiss was bad but this is SO much better. Actually it was pretty great, as soon as I finished it I went online to order the other two books in the series.

All because of DJ.
DJ Schwenk is no Barbie doll. She is tall, big, strong and runs her family's farm. Despite being in high school, she is overwhelmed by the daily chores required for the normal upkeep of a farm,
Jo
“If this was a movie or something I’d give this awesome speech and everyone would cheer and it would be great. But it wasn’t a movie-it was my life. And I don’t have much to say in the best of situations.”

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
If you need me, I’m gonna be in Schwenksville. Also… this review is brought to you by the letter ‘R’… for REAL

High Points.
This book is re-… OK, I’ll stop that right there. DJ Swchenk. Brian. Summer lovin’. A girl with ambitions. Diversity. Cows. Pick-up trucks. Wa
Arlene
Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock is an absolutely awesome book. It was laugh out loud funny and truly engaging, but the thing that moves this book into the five-star category for me, is the fact that it was down-right inspiring. D.J. Schwenk has become one of my favorite female fictional characters. When I picked up this book, I didn’t think I’d enjoy it too much as I have no clue what it takes to work a farm and no idea how the game of football works… this book made me a fan of both.

I
Jessica
Oct 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
I’ve been home sick for two days the other week and during that time I read all three books of this series back to back and whenever I’m doing something like this I find it hard to come up a with a review for each single book since everything kind of blurs together and I’m having trouble distinguishing the different books in my head, so I’m just going to do one review for all three books and keep it general.

D.J. is one of those protagonists you just gotta love! She’s so likeable and easy to rela
Keertana
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Dairy Queen taught me anything, it was, first and foremost, that I am a horrible read-along buddy. Seriously. I was only supposed to read five chapters of this today and I wound up reading all twelve chapters until the end, reading in the hallways, through classes, and on the bus ride back home. Needless to say, it was a little hard for me to put this book down after a point and even now, I can't get it out of my head. Dairy Queen is everything you wish for in a contemporary novel and so much ...more
Lauren Stoolfire
I'd seen Dairy Queen and plenty of other Catherine Gilbert Murdock novels come and go at the public library where I work, but I had never read a single one before. Honestly, the covers aren't all that appealing - I would have totally guessed that this novel was about the dairy princess at a county fair, or something along those lines. Instead, it's actually about a quiet yet hard-working farm girl who tries out for her rural high school's football team after training a rival football team's play ...more
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ What a wonderful book! The only fault I found was in myself – because I didn’t pick up the next one in this charming series while I was at the library! I’ve already requested the audio CD’s. Hopefully, I’ll do a more in-depth review for that media format.

Glad I needed Wisconsin for my State Challenge.

Dairy Queen (Dairy Queen, #1) by Catherine Gilbert Murdock The Off Season (Dairy Queen, #2) by Catherine Gilbert Murdock Front and Center (Dairy Queen, #3) by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
Lexy
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
High red Dairy Queen in high school and I thought it was a fantastic romance book and I thought it was a good play on the author's words and I got sucked into it when I was in high school.
oliviasbooks
Heart- and gut-wrenchingly good. I just ordered the sequel although still have 14 new books waiting to be read. The plot: Tomboy D.J. Schwenks is 15 going on 16, lives on a dairy farm and does almost all the hard work. In fact she is even flunking grades in order to get the barn clean and the cows milked and fed. Her father has an injured hip, started doing housework instead of farm work and just loves to complain about his daughter's working style. D.J.'s real passion is American football, but ...more
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I picked this up on a recommendation stating that it was really good and super humorous. And...I don't know, maybe it was just me but I struggled through this whole read. Sure there were some funny parts but nothing that had me smiling like crazy or even laughing out loud. Maybe it was me though and not the writing. I think this is just one of those cases where this just wasn't my cup of tea.
Sandy

I loved this book so much I read it in one sitting in the bathtub of all places. And trust me, I live in student housing in desperate need of renovation so that is by no means a cozy bathtub, but I was so engrossed in this story that I kept reading long after the water got cold.

I admit, I grew up on a farm driving tractors ever since I was a little kid (so young that I look at my kids and think Were my parents really crazy enough to let me operate machinery when I was that age???) so I
Jasprit
Mar 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, read-in-2012
Dairy Queen was a book which I picked up at the right time; I was in the mood for something a little light -hearted and funny and that is exactly what I got from this book. I knew straight away I was going to enjoy this book as I found myself powering through the book, I had tons of other review books to get through, but this was the only book which seemed to be occupying my mind.

Dairy Queen definitely had an original take on things; D.J is responsible for her family’s farm, with her dad hurting
Attack Salmon
Jul 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-started
This book has a good premise.

I like that incorporate farming and football. And the cover looks funky so I am guessing this would be an enjoyable book that could either make u laugh or loud or give u lots of feel good vibes. Plus the cover fooled me. Whats gonna happen when farm girl have to train the rival school popular spoiled quaterback?? I am dying to know

But I am thoroughly dissapointed. The whole book is boring. The writing is flat and totally devoid of emotions. Our heroine D.J 's househ
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a hard review for me. I wanted to do D.J. justice somehow and explain how much I loved her voice. Try to get across how much this book surprised and moved me. I’m not even going to come close though, but here it goes…

I will never look at a cow the same way again after reading Dairy Queen! :) On my commute in this morning, I was looking around at all my fellow workers and commuters and I suddenly felt like a cow. Herded into the city and then out of the city during rush hour. Everyone mo
~Tina~
I can't believe how I seriously just loved this book!!!

Dairy Queen is one of those books that you wouldn't think twice about just looking at the cover or even reading the summary, well to me anyways. But as soon as you read the first few pages you will find your self captivated in D.J's story!
Farming and Football? That has to be the two most unlikely topics I'd be interested in, I mean, yeah sure, I like watching football movies but don't know much about the game itself, same with farming, been
Ceecee
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all young adults, and adults young at heart
Recommended to Ceecee by: people who were surprised they liked this book
May 2013 This book is as lovely as I remember. I feel goooood.

Sept.2012When you read about people loving a book, it's hard not to expect to like it. I've read so many books which people gushed over, but when I read it, I was like, meh. Thankfully, Dairy Queen did not disappoint. What a lucky day to have found this on a dark corner of a bookstore. I was never so entertained as much lately, nor did I read a book more quickly. It just made me feel good. I'm sorry it had to end so soon.

DJ Schwenk,
Emily Farrar
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have a new appreciation for football reading this book.
I've found football sorta sexist... I mean, have you EVER seen a woman in the NFL? Exactly. Its like, one of the only sports that there's really not a Woman's league. I mean, all women can do in this sport is cheer the men on from the sidelines in little outfits and pom-poms... I'm sorry, but that's just sad...
I seriously think they need a Woman's League and on the guys cheer on the girls with pom-poms and their shirts off... I mean, COME
Thomas
I cannot board the hype train with this one. The voice was too verbose for me, and although the football references did not make me cringe in disgust, the book as a whole never grabbed my interest.

D.J. Schwenk often worries that she is a cow. Bound to a life she has no choice over, forced to repeat the same tasks every day. Indeed, this is the case as D.J. takes care of her family's farm. Her dad suffers from a bad hip, her mom's life is consumed by her job at school, her two older brothers play
Donna
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. It was a light quick young adult read. (All things I need from time to time.) This was funny. It had me literally laughing out loud in spots. It was also cleverly written. I can honestly say I've never read anything quite like this. I loved the characters. They were believable and I felt for them. I cared about the outcome. I always love when I can be pulled in. I was so sad that it ended and that the entertainment was over. I could definitely have read more.
Contemporary YA: Dairy Queen 4 13 Jun 01, 2016 08:05AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #86 Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock 1 6 Jun 25, 2015 08:08PM
Yay or Nay? 28 122 Jun 14, 2015 07:28PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #23 Dairy Queen 1 3 Mar 30, 2015 09:27AM
Secret Bookworms: Realistic Fiction 2 13 Jun 19, 2013 03:00AM

• Fat Cat
  • A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life
  • Speak
  • Real Live Boyfriends: Yes. Boyfriends, Plural. If My Life Weren't Complicated, I Wouldn't Be Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, #4)
  • A Little Wanting Song
  • The Sweet, Terrible, Glorious Year I Truly, Completely Lost It
  • Carter Finally Gets It (Carter Finally Gets It, #1)
  • Beauty Shop for Rent: . . . fully equipped, inquire within
  • Rules of the Road (Rules of the Road, #1)
  • The Possibilities of Sainthood
  • The Year Nick McGowan Came to Stay
  • Jersey Tomatoes are the Best
  • Good Enough
  • Head Games (Pretty Tough, #3)
  • Getting the Girl: A Guide to Private Investigation, Surveillance, and Cookery
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Into the Wild Nerd Yonder
  • Tips on Having a Gay (Ex) Boyfriend (Belle, #1)
I grew up in small-town Connecticut, on a tiny farm with honeybees, two adventurous goats, and a mess of Christmas trees. My sister claims we didn’t have a television, but we did, sometimes – only it was ancient, received exactly two channels, and had to be turned off after 45 minutes to cool down or else the screen would go all fuzzy. Watching (or rather, “watching”) Alfred Hitchcock’s The Birds ...more

Dairy Queen (4 books)
  • The Off Season (Dairy Queen, #2)
  • Front and Center (Dairy Queen, #3)
  • Heaven Is Paved with Oreos (Dairy Queen, #4)
“When you don't talk, there's a lot of stuff that ends up not getting said.” 1775 likes
“But it turns out that even if I don’t talk a lot, when it’s something that matters I still have a lot to say.” 40 likes