Start by marking “Love's Pursuit” as Want to Read:
Love's Pursuit

Love's Pursuit

(Against All Expectations #2)

In the small Puritan community of Stoneybrooke, Massachusetts, Susannah Phillips stands out both for her character and beauty. She wants only a simple life but soon finds herself pursued by the town's wealthiest bachelor and by a roguish military captain sent to protect them. One is not what he seems and one is more than he seems.

In trying to discover true love's path, Su
Published June 1st 2009 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Love's Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love's Pursuit

Margaret Chind
Nov 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Margaret by: Relz Reviewz
This is an uncomfortable read. It is fabulous story telling, and the themes are ones that need to be told. But it is not warm and fuzzy, and nor does it need to be to be told well. Siri Mitchell is an incredible author and her writing is good. She delves into the harder sides of characters lives and deals with stories that need to be told in a manner where many would just walk away from the pain and hardships.

However this book is not all prickles and stings, there are the shimmers of light one
Marta hoelscher
Feb 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When I started this book, I thought it was going to be a typical historical fiction romance. This book is anything but typical. There is a depth and beauty to the story that really is far beyond the norm. The writing is beautiful, and I really look forward to reading more by Siri Mitchell.
I have to admit that at first I was really drawn to the cover. I am a total sucker for a good cover, and in my opinion this book has a great one! Once I started reading, I was really drawn into the story.
Lindsey
Jul 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
In a few words:

Is it even possible to give you a short review of this book? Not really. I will tell you that it's a keeper. Descriptive adjectives that come to mind: Thought-provoking, moving, original, skillfully-written, and although not warm and fuzzy or happily-ever-after, filled with hope. Also note that this is not "Amish fiction".

My Full Review:

I stayed up until 2 a.m. to finish this book last night (this morning).

It. Was. Incredible.

What w
Kellyn Roth
Originally posted in the April 2017 Mini Reviews

I don’t really know what to think of this book, so I won’t try to put it in words. It doesn’t exactly have a happy ending, and I normally hate it when that happens, but it was fairly well-done. Still, a little unsettling and somewhat dark.

Then … the content. It is fairly delicately handled, but a girl is abused (sexually) by her father before she rescued by a man who takes her home and marries her. This happens before the book, but th
Regina Jennings
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've read this three times now. Do I need to say anything further about how I love it? Okay, if I must...

Love's Pursuit is not your typical romance. The POV changes are sometimes challenging, the introspection reminds one more of a literary work and the theological musings are in keeping with the Puritan characters. I so appreciate that Siri didn't make this story easy on us. She didn't insult her readers with cotton candy, but gave us some steak to chew over instead.

Agai
Shantelle
Dec 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
Olivia
Feb 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: very, very few
*For ages 18+ because of marital themes.

Such controversy here !! I did not lower my rating because of what happened at the end. I knew it was coming, and although sad, it didn't upset me as it might have done. The first half of the book was really good. The writing kept me reading, but when certain things started happening in the middle I was starting to feel a little uncomfortable. I'll explain below.

What I liked (despite one star, there were some parts I did like...but the second
Carissa
In a world of perfect romances where everything falls into place, Love's Pursuit stands apart. I will not give any details except to say that had I not stumbled across a spoiler review, I might have been exceedingly angry at how this book ends. However, because I knew how it would end, at least one part of it, and decided to read it anyway, I was able to read it looking for hints of what was to come. I still don't like the climax, and probably never will, but one thing I realized is that Susannah, the ...more
Melissa
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Lisa
Renee
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever been afraid to believe in God’s love?

I wrestled with this question along with the main characters of Siri Mitchell’s novel Love’s Pursuit.

Love’s Pursuit takes place in the Puritan village of Stoneybrooke, Massachusetts, during the 1640’s. The story starts out like any typical historical romance. First, we meet Susannah Phillips, a gently-reared girl, unaware of her own beauty. She obeys all the rules, including setting her sights on the right man to marry. E
Andrea
Mar 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
Jocelyn Green
Love's Pursuit is richly historical, almost achingly so (the Puritan life was not easy!). It is God's love that does the pursuing here. Wow. My hat is off to Siri Mitchell.
Becky
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My Review:
I have read books by Siri Mitchell in the past, and I have both loved and liked her work. Love’s Pursuit falls into the former category. This book did not disappoint me!

The writing is phenomenal. This book was very difficult for me to put down, and I was thinking about it when I had to put it away. I connected with this book on a variety of levels. I, too, was a member of a high control religious group that was very legalistic, and I totally understood the mentality f
Anne Osterlund
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Susannah Phillips has a reputation in her small Puritan town for being good. A reputation she cannot afford to squander, though at times she envies her younger sister’s lack of propriety. As well as her best friend’s new marriage. Though surely marriage is not too far from Susannah’s own horizon—if a certain young man will simply begin to build her a house.

Then Captain Daniel Holcombe arrives, with aspirations of protecting everyone, and soon learns that his greatest obstacle may be
Kimberly
Jul 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I recently read Siri Mitchell's A Constant Heart and was not overly impressed with the plot and characters, although I was highly impressed by her attention to historic detail. I was also distracted by the use of two first-person point-of-view narrators; the narrators would often abruptly switch and it was hard to know which character was speaking at first (yes, even though one was male and the other female). At the same time I borrowed A Constant Heart from the library, I also picked up Love's Pursuit and am so ...more
Sally Bradley
Jun 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of historical fiction
Siri Mitchell is my current favorite author. The first of her books that I read is Chateau of Echoes, the story of an American who runs an exclusive bed and breakfast in a chateau in France, an American novelist who visits, and the fifteenth century diary that connects them. It's great.

Love's Pursuit is the story of a Puritan woman who longs to do what's right and be what's right but has these conflicting feelings and desires and how these two parts of her, the perceived and the real
Krista
Jun 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Love's Pursuit takes place in Massachusetts during the Puritan era. Susannah is a puritan girl who on the outside seems to be the eye of perfections. However, Susannah thinks herself to be a sinner and judges herself harshly. A captain from the "King's army" comes to their village because he has heard reports of savages. I do not want to give too much away, but will Susannah fall in love with a man from her own puritan village or with the Captain and his heathen ways? You will have to read to fi ...more
Catherine Sullivan
I loved the author's writing style and how she portrayed Puritan life with so many details. I would give it 4 or 5 stars for the story, but I really didn't like the surprise ending. It was almost as if the author had changed her mind at the last minute and went a different direction.
Valerie L
Apr 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
Angela
The writing and story-telling were good and what I expect from this author. The time and setting gave a very realistic feeling of life in a Puritan colony. But I just didn't "like" the story much ... most likely because part of the ending was NOT what I wanted to have happen!
Erin
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Sometimes when you reach the end of a book, you realize that the story you were reading was much deeper than you'd understood. It leaves you a little breathless, thankful to have read such a gift, and you know it's a story you'll be thinking about for a while. "Love's Pursuit" is one of those books.

There is more than one kind of evil in the world. There's the evil that everyone recognizes, the kind that wrecks lives out in the open. Then there's the insidious evil that masquerades as
Michelle
ABOUT THE BOOK

In trying to discover true love's path, Susannah is helped by the most unlikely of allies, a wounded woman who lives invisible and
Gabrielle
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book was about Susannah Phillips. She lives in Stoneybrooke, Massachusetts. The rules there was that she dressed the right way, believed the right things, and lived the right life. In Stoneybrooke there are savages living in the forest, so the King from a nearby city sends a captain. Nobody really likes him because he looks wild. Susannah is proposed to by Simeon Wright, the richest and meanest man in town. Susannah doesn't say anything because she is not allowed to and her father goes and ...more
Joleen
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: puritan
Another culture, another time, another religion, hardships aplenty. Yet Ms. Mitchell knows how to take those elements and write a compelling story.

There are two voices in the book. The main character, Susannah Phillips, upright, always seeking to do the right thing, and beautiful, so she is envied. This voice speaks most often. Then we have a minor character, Small Hope, who believes she is nothing because this is all she was ever taught.

A sad story of Susannah and the th
Megan
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Susannah Phillips is the picture perfect Puritan woman, and more than one of the town's bachelors knows this. She has dreamed of the day when her John Prescotte will seek her hand; however, if the powerful Simeon Wright has anything to say about it, that will not happen. He wants her for his own.
Susannah knows that she is not the righteous individual everyone thinks her to be and struggles with her own sin nature. Then Daniel Holcombe moves into town to train the militia in defense against
Heather Hart
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
I started this book out really confused. The author used two different point of views, and wrote both of them in first person. It took me quite a while to figure that she had switched characters in the beginning. The first time I was totally lost when the main character went from talking about the man she hoped to marry to having her husband standing right before her. It was probably the third or fourth switch before I realized that they were two different characters speaking/thinking. It made m ...more
Patricia O'Sullivan
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Susannah Phillips is a good girl. Instructed by the Puritan community of Stoneybrooke, Massachusetts to be obedient, God-fearing, hard-working and modest, Susannah does not question her beliefs or way of life. But then Daniel Holcombe, captain in the king’s army comes to board with her family. Daniel’s joyful attitude towards life strains Susannah’s understanding of God’s will and a woman’s fate. When she realizes she is in love with Daniel, Susannah must make a choice between obeying Puritan mo ...more
Carly
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
From the back cover:
In Stoneybrooke, Massachusetts, Susannah Phillips obeys the rules. Dress the right way. Believe the right things. Live the right life. But when love interferes, she faces a choice: Follow the rules or follow her heart.

I wanted to include the back cover of the book for this review because it really summarizes this story without giving anything away. I felt my summary would not have done this story justice.

I must admit it took me a little while to
Paula-O
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a book written by Siri Mitchell"Love's Pursuit".
The era was 1600's and little different then most books I have read but still Siri made the characters and the locale come to life. Susannah is a young woman with high morals. She believes in doing the right thing all the time but finds she has dreams that urge her to do just the opposite at times.
They live in an area believed to have "savages" who they have to be constantly on the alert for, to keep themselves safe. They are busy wi
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Blessed (Shaker, #4)
  • Here Burns My Candle (Here Burns My Candle, #1)
  • Written on the Wind (Daughters of Fortune, #1)
  • An Unlikely Suitor
  • More Than Words (Daughters of Amana, #2)
  • Burning Sky
  • A Memory Between Us (Wings of Glory, #2)
  • Surrender the Night (Surrender to Destiny, # 2)
  • Something Beyond the Sky
  • Bees in the Butterfly Garden (The Gilded Legacy, #1)
  • Blue Enchantress (Charles Towne Belles, #2)
  • A Passion Denied (The Daughters of Boston, #3)
  • Love's Awakening (The Ballantyne Legacy, #2)
  • Bittersweet (California Historical Series, #2)
  • An Unexpected Love (The Broadmoor Legacy, #2)
  • Written on Silk (The Silk House, #2)
  • A Flight of Fancy (The Daughters of Bainbridge House, #2)
  • In Every Heartbeat
also published under the name Siri L. Mitchell & Iris Anthony

Siri Mitchell graduated from the University of Washington with a business degree and worked in various levels of government. As a military spouse, she has lived all over the world, including Paris and Tokyo. Siri enjoys observing and learning from different cultures. She is fluent in French and loves sushi.

But she is also a mem

Against All Expectations (7 books)
  • A Constant Heart