Start by marking “The Art and Science of CSS: Create Inspirational, Standards-Based Web Designs” as Want to Read:
The Art and Science of CSS: Create Inspirational, Standards-Based Web Designs

The Art and Science of CSS: Create Inspirational, Standards-Based Web Designs

CSS-based design doesn't need to be boring. The Art & Science of CSS brings together a talented collection of designers who will show you how to take the building blocks of your web site's design (such as headings, navigation, forms, and more) and bring them to life with fully standards-compliant CSS.

This full color book helps you to design web sites that not only work
Published March 19th 2007 by Sitepoint (first published March 9th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Art and Science of CSS, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art and Science of CSS

Jenifer Hanen
Oct 13, 2007 rated it it was ok
This is not a comprehensive A-Z book on CSS, it is a compilation of seven essay / tutorials by five different authors on specific topics (headings, images, backgrounds, navigation, forms, rounded corners, and tables). This book is much like 7 blind folks describing an elephant and whole swatches of the elephant are left uncovered and undescribed.

It seems to be a trend amongst the tech publishers to put out books with multiple authors, yet very few of them provide any cohesive editing and authori
Dhuaine
Apr 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
This book is actually a collection of seven detailed tutorials dealing with seven topics from the very basics to advanced features, mentioning also usability, search engine optimization and accessibility issues. There are headings, backgrounds, tables, forms, images, navigation and rounded corners. The only ones which can hold some secrets from an experienced developer are forms and tables. I admit that I don't use tables often and I didn't know some of their features, so I did learn something f ...more
Ulina
Feb 24, 2014 added it
Shelves: tech-books
Wow, I've had this book for years and I never read it until now. I just skimmed through all the pages and it is all stuff I already know. Plus a lot of the stuff is outdated because it talks about using flash for font replacement using sifr. These days you can use the Google Font library or Adobe Typekit to change the font on a page. it also talks about tricks to get rounded corners but you can do that with CSS3.
So no I would not recommend this book to anyone unless you want a history lesson an
Gbadebo Ayangbile
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read this book about 7 or 8 years ago, when I was starting out, learning web development. It is an easy read for the beginner, and the intermediate level web dev would appreciate many of the topics and the practical approach the author takes in addressing many topics.

The Art & Science of CSS is one technical book I remember fondly.
Aileen Bernadette Urquhart
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ict
Beautiful, inspiring book. What a pity it's so out of date. (Written in 2007) I skipped so much of it as with CSS3 there are much easier ways of doing things. However, the book did go in to the psychology of design, and had me really wanting to start a new website!
You can buy copies of this book on Amazon for 1p!
Ajitabh Pandey
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: css, web-designing
One of the best books I have read on CSS so far. Very beautifully explains how to create accessible and beautiful webdesigns. However, this is to be used only if you are familiar with HTML/CSS and want to sharpen your skill set.
Corey Dutson
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
It's a bit dated now, and I'm a little late reading it. Having said that there were still a couple tricks that I learned from running through the book. If you're looking for a better grip on common CSS issues and how to get past them, this is a good choice.
huydx
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This book includes too much code, which is very redundant and waste of space. However, examples throughout the book is very self-explained, and provides concrete knowledge of basic CSS. I recommend this book for CSS beginner who want to learn basic css by examples.
Jim Parrillo
Jul 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great basic introduction to teble-less CSS webdesign as well as sIFR.
Hanady
Oct 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
كتاب عملى جيد لمبتدئى
CSS
بأمثلة تفصيلية لعناصر تصميم صفحة موقع بأفضل طرق لكتابة الأكواد ،وأفكار أفضل وشروط يجب مراعاتها فى التصميم
Syaiful