Start by marking “Lost Children” as Want to Read:
Lost Children

Lost Children

After the loss of her mother, a woman returns to the San Fernando Valley only to uncover a haunting secret about her childhood friend.

A visiting professor at a charming but strange California liberal arts college must face her past in order to protect her son.

A sister, lost in the woods, confronts the dangerous truth about her brother, her stepmother, and herself.

Rose's
Audible Audio, 3 pages
Published April 15th 2021 by Audible Originals

To ask other readers questions about Lost Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lost Children

Start your review of Lost Children
Sarah K
Apr 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Right so all the negative reviews on this are saying "the themes were really upsetting" or "this is not for kids", which... No shit?? Read the description??

If you're upset that it was a free download without a content warning take that up with audible, not in the reviews.

I thought it was a really wonderfully atmospheric collection of short stories in the tradition of old dark dairy tales
Mona
Jun 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
A short collection of deliciously creepy, dark fairy tales for our times.

These stories are suitable for adults, not children.

Bear in mind that a lot of older fairy tales (I’m thinking Jacob Grimm, Wilhelm Grimm, and Hans Christian Anderson) contained undertones or even overt instances of darkness and horror, so Francesca Lia Block is following an old tradition. It’s even true for Lewis Carroll.

Actress Lauren Singerman is an excellent audio narrator. She reads the stories with just enough w
Anniken Haga
I am extremely torn as to how to rate this book. While it was well written and the stories clearly had some depth, the general theme of the stories was disgusting. There was so much rape, child abuse, pedophilia, incest, and just... no. I guess the point of the stories were warnings? But I feel like the author just wanted to shock the reader, to be honest.

I'm giving it a 3/5 stars, because it was well written, had nice prose, and I guess it delivered its message, no matter how disgusting it was
Maureen
Apr 19, 2021 rated it did not like it
This was a free audible original, and only a two hour book so I thought, what the heck... how bad can it be? I got my answer. Most of the short stories just ended right in the middle of the story. And the themes were very very dark and all involving children, so I felt like there should have been some sort of warning about that. Anyway, if you're an audible listener, feel free to skip this one! ...more
J
Apr 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Big fan of Weetzie Bat so I was excited to see this author's work as a free Audible download. Loved this. Super entertaining and all of the stories were creepy, unique and strong. ...more
Tess
May 20, 2021 rated it liked it
Ever since I found "Girl Goddess #9" at the library in 7th grade I've been drawn to Francesca Lia Block's dark gritty fantasy writing. I love how she makes me feel the world is dark and sexy, heady, poetic, scary and beautiful and full of magic all at once.

I listened to this because it was free on Audible. The writing style and atmosphere definitely delivered on the previous expectations I had of her work, and gave new twists to old fairy tales. Keeping them Grimm, not Disney, and modernized.

Non
Kathy
May 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
Well-written short stories that are independent of each other, but share the commonality of folklore, Grimm's darkness, and an open-ended mystery.

Yes, the content can be T'ing for trauma survivors and is not intended for children, nor adults seeking a fairytale happily ever after (or even any ending). But the author is a master of imagery and storytelling, leaving a lot of the answers up to you.
Barb Cassidy
May 11, 2021 rated it it was ok
So...

I read the reviews prior to listening on Audible, and a lot seemed disturbed by the dark content of the book. That wasn't necessarily an issue to me. What my issue was, though, was how the short stories start and abruptly ended.

I didn't even realize the first one ended and the second one began.

I prefer a short story that has more of a resolve. This felt more like my Google Doc of novel ideas I've created for when those 2am book ideas hit.
Big
Apr 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Good stories that pull the reader in but way too brief.
Randi
May 09, 2021 rated it it was ok
So the first story was the one that made me feel the most betrayed. I was so invested emotionally, and then it just...ended. (view spoiler) Do I just not know mythology well enough? It was a coy ending, and I didn't like it. In fact, calling it coy is giving the author the benefit of the doubt.

I hoped the rest of the stories mi
Vel Veeter
Apr 24, 2021 rated it liked it
The reviews for this book are really something.

I mostly enjoyed this collection of short stories my Francesca Lia Block, who is known mostly for her children's writing, and as the readers clearly mention, this is not for children. So, of course, don't get mad that it isn't. A feeling I fairly consistently have with stories that are written based on fairy tales or with fairy tales in mind is that they need to do something for me to take them even remotely seriously. Generally, I just don't enjoy
Brandon
May 13, 2021 rated it it was ok
Candace
Apr 26, 2021 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this, I really did. Francesca Lia Block was a huuuge influence in my teenage years and I was so excited to see this in the audible plus library. While the writing was dreamy and beautiful, the stories themselves fell flat. Abrupt endings with no resolution, leaving more questions than anything, I found myself disappointed in a large way with most of them. Three stars only because I love the way she writes, if not these stories themselves.
Baley Petersen
May 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
If you're not a Francesca Lia Block fan, don't even bother because you won't get it. She writes the existing world into something more beautiful, awful, exquisite, mysterious, fantastic. And if you think a book called "Lost Children" is a children's book... I dunno, maybe read the blurb? FLB has been astounding me with her writing for decades and these short stories are typical of her talent; like a delicious little petit four, perfect as is. ...more
Apr 19, 2021 rated it did not like it
Very heavy. I'm not sure why there were no warnings with these stories but they generally had the same theme of death, grief, depression, and folklore. One story was just a retelling of Hansel and Gretel and the rest just ended all of the sudden with no resolution. If each story was expanded upon they could be really great. ...more
Samantha
May 05, 2021 rated it liked it
I did not like how the stories so abruptly ended in what felt like the middle of the story. The stories were good, but there were a few commonalities from one story to the next in two of them that could have been more thought out to keep the stories completely different. All in all not bad for a quick listen.
May 17, 2021 rated it liked it
This reminds me of scary stories you tell around a fire or at a slumber party. All of the short stories have a really creepy vibe with twists and turns you never expect, ending abruptly to let your imagine finish it for you. Some feel like the darkest version of fairy tales. I liked it, but it was weird at the same time.
Linda
Apr 29, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: finished
These 3 stories were dark, about children and seemed to end before the end of the story was told. The stories had so much promise and yet disappointed me in the end. The description of Dark certainly fits better than Fairy Tales. Could have been so much better.
Andrew
May 19, 2021 rated it did not like it
The stories didn't have any punch to them, I'm not sure what fairytales they were based of. But even if they weren't they weren't very interesting.... And the narration didn't do anything to help

Sorry
John David Bull
Apr 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Kept me entertained, read each story before sleep. Well written, heavy, and paints a story in your mind.
Andrea Anderson
Apr 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
It was a quick listen just over 2 hour. All the stories are magical.
Noula
Apr 20, 2021 rated it did not like it
This book was really depressing to listen too. It's not a children's book and it is very graphic. But, it is a short read. ...more
Julie
Apr 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
A haunting mystery to be uncovered.
Brianna E
Apr 22, 2021 rated it did not like it
Cover is better than the book. 😳
Erika Baughn
Apr 22, 2021 rated it liked it
I liked the fact that it was darker and a more adult
Version of fairy tales. But I just wish there was more
Beanie
Apr 25, 2021 rated it liked it
Three short stories, kind of different.
Arryanna Garcia
Apr 29, 2021 rated it did not like it
Very graphic and not really engaging. The second the story got a little interesting, it would switch.
Shannon Scudella
Apr 29, 2021 rated it liked it
The endings of the stories left me hanging, felt like there should have been more to them. Was disappointed
Mescha Hoskins
Not a fan of this, I thought I would enjoy this since I love all kinds of fairy tale retellings but where these started promising they didn't feel finished at all. ...more
Jocelyn
May 02, 2021 rated it it was ok
Very dry.

• Sleeping Dogs Lie
  • The Neil Gaiman at the End of the Universe
  • How It Ends
  • The Coldest Case (Black Book #0.5)
  • Daisy Chains
  • The Lincoln Obsession: The Author of Manhunt Chases Down His Own Lincoln Obsession
  • Upon Reflection
  • The Armies of Those I Love
  • Sun of a Beach
  • The Didomenico Fragment
  • Island Nation
  • Smoke Signal
  • The House on the Water
  • Stay Tuned (Unsettling #3)
  • The Intruder (Unsettling #2)
  • Date Night (Unsettling #1)
  • Brackish Waters
  • The Bone Farm (Jane Hawk, #0.5)
See top shelves…
Francesca Lia Block is the author of more than twenty-five books of fiction, non-fiction, short stories and poetry. She received the Spectrum Award, the Phoenix Award, the ALA Rainbow Award and the 2005 Margaret A. Edwards Lifetime Achievement Award, as well as other citations from the American Library Association and from the New York Times Book Review, School Library Journal and Publisher’s Week ...more

News & Interviews