Start by marking “Yummy Yucky” as Want to Read:
Yummy Yucky

Yummy Yucky

(Leslie Patricelli Board Books)

'Spaghetti is yummy, worms are yucky. Sandwiches are yummy, sand is yucky.' With bold illustrations, Leslie Patricelli humorously introduces concepts to very young children. The book also has a double spread section featuring 'more yummy things' and 'more yucky things'.
Unknown Binding, 26 pages
Published April 5th 2004 by Not Avail (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Yummy Yucky, please sign up.

Start your review of Yummy Yucky
Duke L
Apr 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An epic tale of the perseverance of one one-haired child against his own nature. The unnamed protagonist exists in a sparsely-populated world where everything and everyone is deeply polarized. He is repeatedly forced to choose between two competing families in a saga reminiscent of the feud between the Hatfields and McCoys. Again and again he tests objects, both permanent and impermanent, against his mental demons and decides their fates. At times, it seems he is aware of the reader and merely ...more
Archit Ojha
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow!

Yummy Yucky illustrates a kid who has recently discovered the world of food. He hasn't any idea what to eat or what not. In his utter confusion, he is forced to test everything on his own. See, how much he's trying to get all of you a satisfactory result!

So he goes on and on. There are blueberries, blue crayons, soup, soap, sandwiches, sand, hot sauce, red sauce, chocolate ice cream, too much ice cream, mommy's chocolates, mommy's coffee and much more.

How the decision is to be made now? So
Avid
Apr 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Are you wondering I am reviewing this children’s book? Why, of course, because I read it. My kid is 17 months old and shows an affinity to books. He loves books with big pictures, so when I got this book for him, he was ecstatic.

Yummy Yucky is a boardbook which means no matter what my tyke does, he can’t tear it. How I wish more things in this world were toddler-proofed in this way! The main character of this book is a cute little guy in diapers and a strand of hair sticking out on his head.
Ame
Sure, it's propaganda, but whatevs!
Laura McLoughlin
Pretty cute book, and some solid advice on what to eat and what not to eat
Russell
Entertainingly simple, easy enough to read even to those who might need help identifying food. Cutely illustrated, but fundamentally flawed.

Should we really be teaching that coffee is yucky, or perhaps just that it's an acquired taste and not something for babies to drink? Hot sauce is anything but yucky, but not something I'd be sampling as a diapered infant. And what of those cultures that eat worms? Shoehorning these items into the simplistic categories is hardly appropriate. After reading
Chanel Earl
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is really fun. I love the yucky things: caterpillars, soap, kitty litter, too much ice cream. My kids love to "read" this to me, and it has even turned into a fun game. They like to think of a yummy thing and then think of a yucky thing that sounds similar (grape juice is yummy, grapefruit juice is yucky).

I think this is a great book to read to kids. The only flaw with it is that it labels hot sauce as yucky. My oldest daughter always corrects that page, "Daddy likes hot sauce," she
Kimberly
I bust out laughing at the blue crayon page. This is now my second-favorite Leslie Patricelli book (you just can't top Toot).
Katherine Parker
Aug 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: max-s-shelf
Soup is yummy. Soap is yucky. Unfortunately, Max also thinks that BOOKS are yummy right now, so we had to return this to the library before it was devoured.
N
Dec 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: the too young for "How to Eat Fried Worms" set
I learned what not to eat.
Saashya Rodrigo
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Leslie Patricelli always finds a way to make the simplest concepts so fun to read about! These illustrations are adorable!!! I am in love with all the books in this series.
Carol Youssif
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent for little children to grasp that some things are acceptable and some are not. My kids absolutely love Leslie Patricelli!
Lynn Swayze
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
On the left page is something "yummy"

On the right page is something "yucky"

Examples include things like chocolate sauce (yummy!) or hot sauce (yucky!). These little lessons (don't eat sand) come wrapped up in easy words and a very silly baby. Baby eats hot sauce? Sure! Leslie Patricelli makes it fun.

Part of the appeal of this book, for children, is that they can pretend to "read" it themselves even if they can't read. This is essential for early reading. The practice helps them learn to read
Shron Ephraim
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yummy Yucky is a children's picture book. I gave this book a 5 star rating simply because all the elements of this book were successful. Yummy Yucky is a book that shows the comparison between what's good, and what isn't. It also shows what's the same, and what's different. This book is intended for the preschool audience.

The sound and character of this book all coincides with the language. The language is for children who is beginning to read. The characters of this book consist of a toddler,
Erica
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am reviewing this book because I read it when I was younger and reading it again to the little kids that I babysit. It has big pictures, colorful and etc. The main character of this book id a cute guy in diaper and a strand of hair sticking out on his head. I think this is great book to read to kids. It will help children distinguish between what is good to eat and what is good to eat. I think this is a good book because toddlers love to put everything in their mouths. Illustrations with bold ...more
Becky Shaknovich
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
"Blueberries are yummy. Blue crayons are yucky. Soup is yummy. Soap is yucky. Sandwiches are yummy. Sand is yucky." True enough. Most children will have to learn these lessons on their own, but it can't hurt to read this funny book, too!

"Burgers are yummy. Boogers are yucky."

"More yucky things" include: garbage, dog food, kitty litter, and CENTIPEDE.

ETA: I only give the book 4 stars because, like the other L. Patricelli board books in this series, it depicts a baby that reads to me as white
Meagan Martin
Sep 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a board book about opposites. A little toddler tries two different items on each page and says if they are “yucky” or “yummy.” Ex: “Apple pie is yummy. Mud pies are yucky.” I loved the illustrations in this book. They were very simple, yet easy to focus on and understand. The story line is very basic and easy to follow along with. It’s also a great book because it helps toddlers begin to recognize opposites. This would be a good one to read over and over with your toddler and soon they ...more
Savannah
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, childrens
My 2 yr old son, T loves this book. His favorite part is the back pages…
More yummy things:

fish food
too much ice cream
Judith Barrientos
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
We got "yummy yucky" and "quiet Loud" as gifts, since then I've bought 5 other books from Leslie Patricelli and will most likely get the others that I'm missing.

I love the illustrations! Is it wrong I want to rip the book apart and frame some of them? no, seriously.

I have fun reading the simple books to my daughter and she has fun reading them back to me. It always produces giggles and a good time. I also feel that this helps to teach children about opposites, which several of her books
Carissa
Sep 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
7.) Yummy Yucky By Leslie Patricelli
Patricelli, L (2003). Yummy Yucky. Candlewick.
Illustrated By: Leslie Patricelli
Summary: This book is great for toddlers. The book will help children distinguish between what is good to eat and what is not good to eat. I think this is a good book because toddlers love to put everything in their mouths. Pictures are fun and I think toddlers will think the book is funny.

Melissa
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I love Leslie Patricelli books, but I take issue with a few pages from this book. Coffee is the lifeblood that fuels the dreams of champions...not yucky! I don't want a child who only eats bland foods - hot sauce...not yucky! And couldn't there have been a couple more healthy foods under the yummy section? Why not tell kids that carrots are yummy, not chocolate sauce and ice cream?

Anyways, the pictures are always fun.
Amy
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
This series of books by Leslie Patricelli is one of my all time favorites. I own as many as I've been able to get my hands on. They are board books and are just as hilarious for a one year old as an 8 year old. Especially if the 8 year old is reading it to the 1-year old. I can't recommend this books enough! Love the illustrations, the presentation of concepts, the potential for "listener" participation, and all the giggles they produce!
jacky
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: older babies, toddlers
I'm getting to like this author. This one was especailly funny. Each page spread had two similar looking or sounding items, one which is yummy and one which is not okay to eat. At the end, there were lists of other yummy and yucky things. Centipede was the last one, gross! Cute illustrations with bold colors.

This could be a great book for an older child to read to a baby. A non-reader could use the pictures easily to tell the story.
Rena
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I rated this book with 5stars cause *I* don't have to read it to my baby over and over and over and over and over... It's perfect for teaching little ones to read, and they learn opposites at the same time. This board book is part of a series, and my daughter has been "reading" it since she could talk. Very easy for little ones.
Tracey
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
baby/toddlers (even preschoolers), great for storytime.
This is a fun one to read aloud; the text reads "[normal food] is yummy. [silly thing] is Yucky." on each set of pages. It can be abbreviated (skipped pages) as needed, if your group is extra wiggly, but this should delight both little ones and their caretakers easily.
Harrybutler
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is full of mystery, love and finding yourself. Baby doesn't know what foods he likes, he takes risks and learns to enjoy life in it's ups and downs. We can all learn something from baby, try new things and enjoy life. He is a dynamic, relateable charecter that you fall in love with at the start of the novel. Wonderful storyline would recommend to anyone.
Linsey
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My kids are obsessed with this board book, and I enjoy reading it. This whole series is great because everytime you read it you can read it differently. A great book to start conversations with kids.
Chelsea
Aug 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book to get small children to consider what is good and bad to eat. When asked, they loved saying whether or not they thought something was yummy or yucky to eat. An awesome book to garner interest and participation.

Read during Toddler Time on August 28th, 2017.
Tyson_serena Brown
The kids love to make me pretend to eat yucky things. This is a family favorite!
Beth Kakuma-Depew
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Even more adorable in Spanish! This book would be great for middle-schoolers learning Spanish.

But I need an audio version. I'm not sure how to pronounce
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Blue Hat, Green Hat
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
  • I Love You, Stinky Face
  • First 100 Words
  • Each Peach Pear Plum
  • How Do Dinosaurs Love Their Cats?
  • Another Monster at the End of This Book
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • Auntie Claus
  • Sheep in a Jeep
  • Papa, Please Get the Moon for Me
  • Hug
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: A Pop-Up Adaptation
  • Choo Choo
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose! (A Lift-the-Flap Book)
  • Katy and the Big Snow
  • Good Night, Gorilla
  • Big Red Barn
Leslie Patricelli is the American writer and illustrator of the best selling line of toddler books, starring her inimitable Baby character, including Potty, Toot, Yummy Yucky, Big Little, and Hair. She has more than 30 books for children, including her preschool books, Higher! Higher! (a Boston Globe Book Honor Award winner), Be Quiet, Mike!, Faster! Faster! and The Patterson Puppies and the ...more

Leslie Patricelli Board Books (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Baby Happy Baby Sad