Start by marking “The Maquisarde” as Want to Read:
The Maquisarde

The Maquisarde

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Near the end of the 21st century, the murder of her husband and daughter by terrorists drives Ebriel Serique to venture beyond her charmed life to confront the truth about the world. And while she never would have suspected it, Ebriel discovers that she has the courage for anything--even violence.
Published April 27th 2004 by Ace (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Maquisarde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maquisarde

Kris
Apr 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: science fiction fans
Shelves: own-it
This book was a nice surprise. I was just scanning the sci-fi shelves at may favorite local bookstore, auntie's, when I saw this one, with a sticker denoting it was an autographed copy. When I looked closer, I could see that there was a woman on the cover (and not the stereotypical fantasy heroine, straight out of Wagner). Then I read the synopsis and had to pick it up!

The book is set in the not-too-distant future, where the world has basically been divided into the haves and the have-nots, due
Paul
Sep 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ebriel Serique is living a life of luxury in late 21st century Paris. That is, until her husband and young daughter are murdered on the family yacht, supposedly by terrorists. It was in the Mediterranean, allegedly on the wrong side of the Line of Partition. Parts of the world have been ravaged by various biological plagues, so no chance are taken. The yacht is destroyed, and the bodies are cremated.

After another worldwide economic collapse, the International Cooperative Alliance (InCo) rules wh
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Janine
Feb 02, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a fun read. The Maquisarde is a noble renegade.
Benjamin
Jun 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Bought for $1 at Dollar General. Pleasant surprise. Very fine work. Reminded me of Ursala LeGuin.
Ann Wilkes
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Marley takes her characters through hell and back and transform them beautifully. Best book I've read for a while.
Mckinley
Oct 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, favorite, heroine, novel
Grew on my as I read it. Slow to start I think.
Lise
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It has been years since I have been so emotionally invested in a story. This made me laugh, cry, it made me feel sick and it made me feel overjoyed. Marley has painted a beautiful picture with this one and I am both sad and relieved that it is now over. I can see this being one i would go back to read again, maybe in a couple of years.
Jeannen
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I had not been exceptionally impressed with the Singers of Nevya series by Marley, which is one reason I didn’t read others of hers as I saw them coming on the market. After The Child Goddess, though, I checked to see what else she had published, and found one of those titles, The Maquisarde at the library. Speed read through it in one evening. It was enjoyable, but ultimately, not well-resolved, I thought – in fact, it felt as though it was the first book in a series, although I see no evidence ...more
Ian
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: decent-stuff
This book was a pleasant surprise. I picked it up used for only a few dollars to satisfy a craving I'd been having lately for science fiction. The description on the back was nothing special, nor was the first chapter or so, but yet, I had a -feeling-, so I grabbed it anyway. To be honest, I expected it to be nothing more than a forgettable, 3-star story at the most--yeah, oops!

Most of the characters (but not all--I'm looking at you, Ty!) are well-developed, diverse, interesting, and overall lik
Miss Ginny Tea
This is the 3rd Marley I've read in a short span of time. Enjoyment has decreased with each book.

This one sets up an interesting future of Earth, filled with chaos and politics (complete with the blind privileged and the lying bastard leader). Lies come too close, privilege doesn't protect, and everything comes crashing down. So far so good.

The ending doesn't fit this world. It's sugar coated saccharine with a grafted-on love story that just doesn't work. The 2 aren't compatible; they're "love"
Karl Schaeffer
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Picked this one up at a used book sale. Easy read. Interesting world created by Marley. Straight forward plot. I figured out early on that Ebriel and James hooked up. Oops! Is that a spoiler? Not sure about the world spanning solar powered helicopters. Seems like a uncomfortable way to travel.
Ian
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed on Daughters of Prometheus: http://daughtersofprometheus.wordpres...
Carrie
Sep 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was excellent, but the ending was a little bit of a letdown.
Ann Tonks
Although ultimately a romance, I enjoyed this science fiction story. It's focus is on a grieving artist and lost children who claim their place in the world and that gives it humanity and strength.
Louise Marley
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Noella
Dec 06, 2017
Barbara
Feb 01, 2008
Douglas Smith
rated it did not like it
Dec 26, 2009
Sep 10, 2007
Sara
Oct 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Louise Marley, a former concert and opera singer, has published nineteen novels. As Louise Marley, she writes fantasy and science fiction, including THE TERRORISTS OF IRUSTAN and THE CHILD GODDESS. Writing as Cate Campbell, she published the historical trilogy BENEDICT HALL.