Start by marking “King Ottokar's Sceptre” as Want to Read:
King Ottokar's Sceptre

King Ottokar's Sceptre (Tintin #8)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  7,727 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
In this adventure, everything begins with a briefcase left on a park bench in Brussels. The case belongs to Professor Alembick, a sillographer (a specialist in the study of stamps and wax seals). Doing his good deed for the day, Tintin returns the briefcase to the professor, and it is not long before he has been invited to travel to Syldavia as the professor’s assistant!

Up
Published November 1st 2002 by Egmont Childrens Books (first published 1939)

To ask other readers questions about King Ottokar's Sceptre, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Ottokar's Sceptre

Sam Quixote
King Ottokar’s Sceptre is one of only two Tintin books I surprisingly never read as a kid (the other being In the Land of the Soviets) and, having read it now, I can say I didn’t miss out on anything back then!

Set in the fictional country of Syldavia (I think it’s based on Albania), if the King doesn’t brandish his sceptre on St Vladimir’s Day, he must step down - and some nefarious neighbouring country is sending agents to steal the sceptre for just that to happen! Tintin stumbles across anoth
Brendon Schrodinger
In usual Tintin style everything is set up by mere coincidence. Tintin finds a briefcase in his local park that belongs to a Professor of sigillograpy, the study of seals - the stampy kind, not the animals. The Professor os travelling to the Eastern European country of Sylvia to study royal seals and Tintin accompanies him on the trip. But what happens when there is a theft of the royal sceptre? Only Tintin, Thomson and Thompson can save the day, albeit with a lot of screw ups and a lot of narro ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Le sceptre d'Ottokar=King Ottokar’s Sceptre (Tintin #8), Hergé
عنوان: عصای اسرارآميز مجموعه شش جلدی از ماجراهای تن تن خبرنگار جوان 2؛ شامل: جزیره سیاه؛ عصای سحرآمیز؛ خرچنگ چنگال طلایی؛ ستاره اسرارآمیز؛ راز کشتی اسب شاخدار؛ گنج راکهام سرخپوش؛ شش جلد در یک مجلد؛ در سریال ناشر ایرانی از جلدهای هفت تا دوازده مجموعه است، نویسنده: هرژه، مترجم: گروه ترجمه؛ تهران، رایحه اندیشه، 1382، در ؟ ؛ مصور، رنگی، موضوع: داستانهای فکاهی از نویسندگان بلژیکی قرن 20 م
Maria Carmo
Jan 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone.
These adventure get more and more funny... King Ottokar's Scepter recovery had a main role for Milu! But in order to find out which exactly, you will have to read the book! Tin-tin goes on in his globe trotter activities, where he is also forced to face danger and malevolence... And our already customary friends, the Dupond and Dupont, continue to be completely absent minded, falling over and tripping all over the place and never understanding things at first sight...

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 7 Januar
Alireza
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, art, other, tintin
از خوب های تن تن است. هم معقول شروع می شود، هم معماهای جذاب زیاد دارد واشارات سیاسی مناسبی هم در آن گنجانده شده.
David Sarkies
Our first journey into Syldavia
5 February 2012

There have been some who have suggested that this album is where Tintin is finally developed, though as I have suggested, I consider that album to be the Cigars of the Pharaoh. This album though develops a number of elements that are going in reappear in later albums, the most important being the country of Syldavia, as well as introducing the Milanese Nightingale, Bianca Castafiore.
Syldavia is a fictional country that Herge developed, and I suspec
Gary
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
irst published in French in 1939, and written at the time that Europe was under the thumb of totalitarianism: Hitler, Mussolini, and Stalin.
Tintin is taken through a sequence of strange vents to the mythical Kingdom of Syldavia, which we learn much about in this book. The drawings and information which bring this country to life : a combination between Zenda and Albania , are amazing .
A plot by Fascists based in neighboring Borduria is hatched to unseat King Muskar, involving the seizure of the
Harish Kumar Challapalli
Interesting book!! Very nicely narrated!! The book has some stuff which is not needed!! It gives some boredom feeling to the reader! The plot begins to unfold slowly but it can be guessed quite well by a regular reader!!

Certainly not the best of the franchise but a good read is definitely assured!!
itchy
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: soft
thompson and thompson steal the ending
Ashley Capes
Nov 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tintin
I felt Ottokar’s Sceptre was ‘only’ good rather than great.

It’s not that there are any clear faults – and we’re treated to another absent-minded professor, as Herge continued to warm up for Calculus’ eventual appearance – but the adventure was missing some tension for me. It might have been a case of expectations not quite being met, as I wanted a little more depth to the mystery of how the sceptre is stolen I think, more detail to that plot.

The premise I really enjoyed – the theft of a royal sc
Desiree Koh
Sep 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: funnies
When I was a little kid, I owned every Tintin comic book adventure and I read all of them, then re-read them all over again, laughing at the same jokes and used "Billions of bilious blue blistering barnacles" as my curse-phrase.

I am exploring the world of Tintin again after my Belgian jaunt, in the homeland of the artist Herge and where comics are highly regarded as literature. Beneath each vividly drawn and colored panel is a moral about the way the world lived in 1950.

In this chapter, Herge cr
Anuradha Alwis
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If my memory is correct this is the first TinTin book I read. I still can remember being lost within the pages of this book as a small child (I think I couldn't even read then). I loved the part when TinTin's plane was shot down and snowy walking down the red carpet majestically with the sceptre held in its mouth.
Mike Jensen
Another enjoyable but ultimately disappointing adventure with Tintin. There are essentially three problems with this tale. The story is a cliché, the bumbling comic figures are not amusing and are a distraction since they barely figure in the plot, and an adventure this big needs more telling. More time was needed away from Tintin to show what was happening in other places with other characters for this tale to reach its potential. On the plus side are a likeable style and some really lovely art ...more
Santhosh
Oh for the good ol' times of visa-less travel!! Especially to made-up East European countries.

The plot is more mystery solving. Bianca Castafiore is a riot. Snowy starts playing a more prominent role as Tintin's sidekick. The rest is predictably, coincidentally, stumbly, Tintin!
Pinko Palest
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Δίνει εντυπωσιακά την ατμόσφαιρα του μεσοπολέμου και της επέκτασης της Γερμανίας σε βάρος των γειτόνων της. Δεν έχει όμως το σουρεαλιστικά παιχνιδιάρικο ύφος άλλων έργων της πρώτης εποχής (Πούρα του Φαραώ, το Σπασμένο Αυτί) και στέκεται με υπερβολικά πολύ σεβασμό στον βασιλιά της Συλδαβίας
Michael Gerald
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book, Tintin is swept into an intriguing case in a mythical Balkan-like country. The adventure is also a satire on fascism, as Herge takes a swipe on Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union for their aggression and bellicose behavior in those days.
Ana
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Primeiro livro de Tintin lido na sua versão original, uma experiência que irei certamente repetir. Sempre gostei destas aventuras, e depois desta experiência, fiquei ainda com mais vontade de ler (e reler) os restantes livros desta coleção.
Pilar Erika
A good translation into Swedish from the original French edition.
Nabila Tabassum Chowdhury
এই বইয়ে এক ফোঁটাও এমন কিছু নাই যেটা আমি অপছনদ করেছি। :) ...more
Jess Newman
The first half of this book could be called "The many captures and escapes of TinTin"- it's basically a sequence of the young protagonist falling into one trap after another and getting out of it through a lucky stroke more than anything to do with his brains. The story picks up eventually once he finally gets to Syldavia, a fictional pastiche of Poland and Turkey which is rather interesting, and examined in detail for historic parallels in the version of the story that I have. The conspiratoria ...more
Pilar Benito Gonzales
Regresé! xD

Me faltó postear este review el mismo día que lo terminé y fue el mismo día que lo inicie ><

Como es usual, nuestro intrépido periodista Tintin y su fiel compañero Milu, se encuentran con un extraño profesor que estudia sellos, de los cuales tiene uno que tiene una historia particular sobre un cetro de Ottokar. En el que se cuenta que todos los descendientes que tienen el cetro, van a reinar y quien lo pierda, abdica. En ese momento, en la ciudad, un grupo esta intentando robar e
Prasidh Ramson
When Tintin returns a briefcase, belonging to a sigilographer (an expert on historical seals), little did he know that he'd find himself in a thrilling adventure that leads him to Syldavia, where the Royal Sceptre is in the centre of espionage, political intrigue, and a potential coup d'état.

Action packed and engaging, I enjoyed the detailed world building and storytelling, especially the fictitious (and fractious) history of the Kingdom Of Syldavia and the monarchy. The drawings of the mountai
Analese
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know I read all of these at some point; I remember checking them out from the SB Bookmobile when I was young. The Bookmobile used to park on our street and I was allowed to walk down the street to check out books.

Not one of Tintin's greatest adventures, but always a good read. Missed the Captain in this one.
Markku Kesti
Jul 31, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sarjakuva
Onhan nämä, mutta ei se uusiksi piirtäminen ja tarinan iskevöittäminen näille mitenkään pahaa tehnyt imo.
Kapil
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jan
Angie
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
Je l'ai lu parce que je m'avais souviens et voiant aussi mon progress dans l'idiom.

J'ai besoin de retourner.
Christopher Sinclair
Not the best of stories but the artwork is nice in this one.
Arnela
This one was quite the political thriller, plenty of intertwining layers of conspiracy, fights for power, espionage, and the occasional slap slick courtesy of Thomson and Thompson.

I loved all the intricate details on the Syldavian uniforms and the quaint countryside of the country.

It was a fun mystery, and I was at the edge of my seat for a good part of it.
Nicholas Whyte
Apr 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, children, dutch, 2014, 1409
http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/2354109.html[return][return]I remembered this fondly from my childhood - it may even have been the first Tintin book I ever read - and very much hoped that it would live up to my memories. I'm glad to say that it did, and if anything it works even better for me now that I have spent several years in the meantime being closely involved with Balkan politics, and also because I now know Brussels rather better than I did when I was 9. (Apparently it was the first Tintin ...more
Augusto Bernardi
Jan 02, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Probably the volume I like least in the series so far. The cover wasn't very interesting but the Lettering itself of the title was nice and well done.
Tintin is basically trying to save this fictional kingdom of Syldavia from a coup and preventing the King's scepter from being stolen. It does have everything to be a great Tintin but it wasnt interesting I feel they took a couple of steps backwards.
I was under the impression the art in the previous volume( the black island) was better than this o
  • Asterix in Corsica (Asterix, #20)
  • Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)
Georges Prosper Remi (22 May 1907 – 3 March 1983), better known by the pen name Hergé, was a Belgian comics writer and artist.
His best known and most substantial work is The Adventures of Tintin comic book series, which he wrote and illustrated from 1929 until his death in 1983, leaving the twenty-fourth Tintin adventure Tintin and Alph-Art unfinished. His work remains a strong influence on comics
More about Hergé...

Tintin (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Tintin in the Land of the Soviets (Tintin #1)
  • Tintin au Congo (Tintin #2)
  • Tintin in America (Tintin #3 )
  • Cigars of the Pharaoh (Tintin #4)
  • Le Lotus bleu (Tintin #5)
  • The Broken Ear (Tintin, #6)
  • The Black Island (Tintin, #7)
  • The Crab with the Golden Claws (Tintin, #9)
  • The Shooting Star (Tintin, #10)
  • The Secret of the Unicorn (Tintin, #11)

“If! If! You can get 'round anything with 'if'.” 15 likes