Start by marking “Chicot the Jester (The Last Valois, #2)” as Want to Read:
Chicot the Jester (The Last Valois, #2)

Chicot the Jester (The Last Valois, #2)

La suite de «La reine Margot». Située entre le 9 février 1578 et le 19 août 1579, l'action s'ouvre sur le mariage de Saint-Luc, ex-amant de la reine Margot et favori d'Henri III, rappelé de Pologne pour succéder à Charles IX. Chicot, personnage central de la trilogie, déjoue avec maestria les conspirations contre le roi qui se succèdent. Sur ce fond d'intrigues, se déroule ...more
Published July 1st 2008 by Boomer Books (first published February 28th 1847)

To ask other readers questions about Chicot the Jester, please sign up.
La Dame De'Bussy Yes, it's the same book.
Yes, it's the same book.
Here's description of the book named "Chicot, the Jester" - and the events in it described exactly, as they're in "La Dame de Monsoreau".
I even didn't actually know myself that this book can be called "Chicot, the Jester", as always known it to be called "La Dame de Monsoreau". (less)

Start your review of Chicot the Jester (The Last Valois, #2)
Stephen
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading the Count of Monte Cristo and the Three Musketeers series, I did not think I would ever read another Dumas book that ranked so highly. Chicot the Jester (also published as La Dame de Monsoreau) proved me wrong. The character of Chicot is impossible not to love, he is both a warrior and comedian, making jokes at his opponents dispense as he runs his sword through them. Even the King is fair game for Chicot. The unique thing about this book is that there are actually two protagonists ...more
Roman Clodia
Nov 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sequel of sorts to La Reine Margot, this is another classic romantic adventure set against the political in-fighting between Henri III and his brother Duc d'Anjou, as well as the religious wars that raged in C16th France, spearheaded here by the dashing Henri de Guise, Le Balafré.

Structurally, this is very similar to Margot: we have two young and handsome men, and a fraught love triangle between the heroic Bussy d'Amboise, Diana de Monsoreau and her villainous husband. With duels and impr
Jose Moa
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, historic
Some day fall in my hands this novel and only a little late i knew that is the continuation of La Reina Margot,it is mainly located in Paris in 1578.
Awesome novel of adventures, intriges,murders ,history, and as a subplot a imposible and tragic love between La Dama de Monserau and Bussy Dambroise who in the end is ambushed and killed.
Is followed by the novel Los Cuarenta y Cinco
Denis
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading a novel by Alexandre Dumas is always a treat: it brings back the kind of joy of reading that I experienced as a kid, and it immerses me into the convoluted, but deeply entertaining, world of French history I grew up with. Dumas has a way of bringing History alive that nobody can really match - even if he sometimes twists real events to make them fit what his imagination prefers. This book is massive (close to 1000 pages), complex, and in some ways more old-fashioned than The Three Musket ...more
Stuart Lutzenhiser
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Great book. 2nd in the series of the Henrys after Queen Margot. It tells of a noble man who is in love with Diana of Meridor who is loved by the King's huntschief who..... well, you can see where it gets complicated. There is a plot to unseat the King. I really loved this book although it would have been easier to keep the characters straight if I knew the history better.
Michael Partyka
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, this was a very enjoyable read. In some ways I liked it more than La Reine Margot, while at other times it was a bit tedious. For being the namesake of the book, I find Diane's charcter to be a little underdeveloped. The scenes with Chicot and Gorenflot are quite amusing and provide comic relief throughout the story.

I read the original French version available at gutenberg.org.
Dangermousie
If I had to pick the book that shaped my childhood, this would be it. Oh God, this was such a childhood favorite of mine.

Political intrigues, tragic lovers (I bawled so much at the end that it could have been legitimately labeled hysterics), a deliciously tongue-in-cheek sense of humor, and plots-within-plots. Still so very good, after all these years.

Diana, our heroine, is not that interesting, I confess (her best friend Jeanne is about twenty times more exciting and awesome), but the rest -
Janez
When I was younger, I remember watching a French TV series La Dame de Monsoreau. It was, like any other French TV series from the 1970's (humph). However, the book is so much more richer in details, that it beats the TV series on the whole scale.
Dumas and his co-worker had a very vivid imagination when it comes to the two main characters. The noble, courageous and chevaleresque comte de Bussy differs very much from his historic representation. And Diane de Meridor-Monsoreau is, let's face it, v
Djrmel
Jul 04, 2009 marked it as z-could-not-finish
Shelves: fiction, classic, humor
One too many intriques for me, I'm afraid. I know that's what Dumas does best, but when the scheming overtakes the characters, I'm out. I did like this version of Henry III, though, and might have hung in there longer if he played a larger part throughout the first 1/3 of the book.
Gracie
Aug 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
if you are going to read one dumas in your life, this is the one.
Chris Purser
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good. Can't wait to read the next volume in the series.
Cristina
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this books and I loved Chicot!
Helen Azar
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't know how this one slipped through the cracks for me until recently but now it is one of my favorite Dumas novels, definitely up there with The Three Musketeers!
Jennifer Booth
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was not like three musketeers

I grew up and loved Alexandre Dumas works including the three musketeers, but this book doesn't hold a candle to his other work. I found this book as dull as a dry drawing room drama.
Czarny Pies
Apr 22, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone able to enjoy Dumas even when he resorts to formula writing.
Recommended to Czarny by: I am one of those who can forgive Dumas for his sins against literature.
Shelves: french-lit
La dame de Monsoreau is swashbuckling novel that unlike some of Dumas' better works fails to transcend the genre. It is rather a lifeless piece of formula writing.

La Dame de Monsoreau is the second novel in Dumas' Valois trilogy. La Reine Margot which is the first novel in the series had a number of interesting things to say about the persecutions of the Protestants in France in the last half of the Sixteenth Century and in particular about the St. Bartholomew's day massacre. La Dame de Monsore
Jan-Joost Bouwman
May 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Maybe not as good as the first part, but still an entertaining read. Bit confusing that the Duc d'Alencon was now called the Duc of Anjou and the previous Duc of Anjou was now King Henri. But I guess that's because they moved up one step on the ladder. Still a lot of plotting, and plenty of swashbuclinkg (if that is a word). Bit sad that again one of the main characters was killed off, just like in the Queen Margot happened. At least Chicot survived. Although he may get killed in the next volume ...more
Kakha
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impossibly great book. Dame Diane de Meridor, legendary Louis de Bussy d'Amboise, great Chicot and a beautiful love story with incredible action narrated by the matchless author. What else a good reader want?
Raelis
My favorite book of Dumas' (possibly due to the excellent Russian adaptation). The romance between Bussy and Diana left me cold, but most of the secondary characters are an absolute delight, and the fiendishly clever Chicot was one of my earliest literary crushes.
Chris
Oct 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Typical Dumas-level action, but largely predictable. The Librivox narration is ok, but not wonderful.
Tina
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
If you love classic french literature, this is a must.
Ewan
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Not bad, but not the best of Dumas, I fear.
Jean-baptiste Soufron
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Awesome book! It’s Monte-Cristo level! With a bigger villain, a crazy jester character and many more jokes and wits.

A page-turner!
Christopher Stilley
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well I came to this one after reading Queen Margot,included in a big old Colliers book from the 1890s..and I foolishly wondered,is this necessary?.You would think with a title like Chicot The Jester combined with the likes of Dumas this couldn't miss...and you'd be right!..Its a very singular book in that tho its part of a series,it reads well as an independent much like Dumas' Le Chevalier de Maison-Rouge,can be read apart from the Marie Antoinette cycle as it was written before that series wit ...more
Vadim
Oct 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, compared to Queen Margot, this one is a less dramatic, less intriguing, but - with more funny moments. You can count on it while reading about the jester.
Lavender
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epub, openlibrary
Political intrigue, romance, action, adventure and whimsy combine in this further tail of the Valois rule.
Trelesa
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great series of plot twists, diabolical schemes, and larger than life characters. As odd as it sounds that Chicot the Jester was one of King Henry's main advisors and friends. It really drives home how lonely it must have been to be a ruler constantly on guard against untrue friends.

(view spoiler) ...more
Victoria Jackson
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
There are several strands to this story - a love story and the jester seems to have a secondary role. He is closest to Henry III whose throne is threatened by the Guise brothers and his younger brother Francois Duke of Anjou - a weak character. Compte de Bussy, a brave hero is attacked by 4 or 5 of the kings men, as he is Anjou's man. Falls wounded into a house inhabited by beautiful Diane forced in marriage etc. Very funny moments with Chicot and a priest who loves his food (clearly Dumas loves ...more
Krisette Spangler
Mar 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
I'm so torn about this book, because it was very exciting and, I couldn't put it down. It has everything: political intrigue, damsels in distress, exciting duels, etc. I also loved both of the protagonists, and the story was often humorous. However, in the last three chapters, it went from being a swashbuckling adventure to a Shakespeare tragedy. I loved the book, but the ending was not what I expected. I guess that's why this book never received the acclaim that The Three Musketeers did.
C.J.
Oct 22, 2012 rated it liked it
A more gooder read for intrigue, darng-do, plumed hats and bloody duels, could not be. To put it to the utmost grammatically.

I especially loved Chicot, and the mad monk of momentous obesity and wine-addled wits who dogs him. Translations rather matter -- but even in the first, which was a bit archaic and stilted, the book was blast.

Sometimes, it was too rib-crackingly funny without even the intent.
Barbjo
Aug 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a wonderful romp with many, many characters, including King Henri III of France and his lovable "jester" (really a French nobleman who took refuge at the side of the king after being persecuted by the king's most powerful enemies, the three brothers of the house of Lorraine). Lots of intrigue and swordplay, and a house full of monks who are trained to be soldiers as part of an insurrection against the king.

• The Good Soldier Švejk
  • The Forsyte Saga (The Forsyte Chronicles, #1-3)
  • The Insulted and Humiliated
  • Nikola the Outlaw
  • The Flame of Attention
  • Le Sens Du Bonheur
  • Inside Out
  • Angelique and the King  (Angélique: Original version #3)
  • Angelique (Angelique: Original version, #1)
  • Something Happened
  • Angelique, the Road to Versailles (Angelique: Original version #2)
This note regards Alexandre Dumas, père, the father of Alexandre Dumas, fils (son). For the son, see Alexandre Dumas fils.

Alexandre Dumas, père (French for "father", akin to Senior in English), born Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie, was a French writer, best known for his numerous historical novels of high adventure which have made him one of the most widely read French authors in the world. Many of hi
“If you break this door you will find me dead on the threshold."

And be easy, madame, you shall be revenged," said Bussy.”
3 likes
“Catherine wished to discover whether her son were really ill or
feigning. But he, worthy son of such a mother, played his part
to perfection. She had wept, he had a fever.”
3 likes