Start by marking “Wish You Were Here” as Want to Read:
Wish You Were Here

Wish You Were Here

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  93,088 ratings  ·  10,542 reviews
A deeply moving novel about the resilience of the human spirit in a moment of crisis.

Diana O'Toole is perfectly on track. She will be married by thirty, done having kids by thirty-five, and move out to the New York City suburbs, all while climbing the professional ladder in the cutthroat art auction world. She's not engaged just yet, but she knows her boyfriend, Finn, a s
Published November 30th 2021 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Wish You Were Here, please sign up.
Wendy Don't buy it, check it out from the library. Not as bad as Book of Two Ways but still not like her older books. And if you're not ready to relive the …moreDon't buy it, check it out from the library. Not as bad as Book of Two Ways but still not like her older books. And if you're not ready to relive the beginning of Covid then definitely skip.(less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Shannon Brake I love her more because of this. She is perfectly on target.
Ashen Winter by Mike MullinAshfall by Mike MullinThis World We Live In by Susan Beth PfefferAlas, Babylon by Pat FrankThe Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer
SciFi so real its SCARY.
1,107 books — 1,980 voters
Project Hail Mary by Andy WeirThe Four Winds by Kristin HannahMalibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins ReidA ​Court of Silver Flames by Sarah J. MaasPeople We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry
Best Books of 2021
1,090 books — 1,251 voters

More lists with this book...

·  93,088 ratings  ·  10,542 reviews

Start your review of Wish You Were Here
Paromjit
Aug 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Of all the books I have read this year, I cannot think of any that will resonate so deeply with a global audience as this one. Jodi Picoult carries out an impressive level of research for her oh so human look at the pain, losses, lockdown, heartbreak, grief, loneliness and isolation experienced by people as the horrifying nightmare of Covid-19 took hold and shut down so much of the world. I can understand if this is too soon for many readers to read about, but I found this to be an absolutely ri ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jul 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book took my breath away, making me terrified, scared, shaking me to the core: I’m overwhelmed because of dealing with complex feelings at the same time: sadness, amusement, excitement, stress, worry,anxiousness…

It’s another Sliding Doors theme: where you could be and what kind of situations you may deal with if you make different choices about your life in the middle of pandemic.

This is philosophical, metal psychical and psychological novel about how human lives evolve, how they change, h
Emily May
Oct 25, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2021, contemporary, arc
Hmm, this is a tough one to review.

In the end, I liked what Jodi Picoult did with Wish You Were Here. I like that she took it in, let's say, unexpected directions, and explored a subject I knew very little about. I did not predict the way this story would unfold. Which is good.

That being said, I found the first half of this book very slow. Diana finds herself alone in the Galápagos islands, her boyfriend thousands of miles away fighting to save people from COVID in the emergency room, when the i
Elyse  Walters
Jun 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
NO SPOILERS….
…..It’s mid June, 2021. I’m reviewing this novel early.
“Wish You Were Here”, will be released in stores in November, 2021.

Diana O’Toole, an associate specialist at Sotheby’s, (one of the worlds largest brokers of art collectibles), and Finn Colson, (a surgical resident at the New York Presbyterian Hospital), were going to Galapagos.
It was an expensive trip for two millennials in New York, but they had been saving up for four years. Diana was sure that Finn would propose to her on
Melissa (Hiatus-Sailing around the Mediterranean)
Wow, I'm not sure how to put into words what I just read.

I will start off with a bit of a warning. If you're not in a place where you can read about the experiences of Covid from many different angles, then I'd recommend you steer clear of this one for a while. The trauma of the pandemic is very real, and the author does an incredibly good job of conveying it to the reader in a visceral way.

I have not read a book by Picoult in years. I became disenchanted with her issues-driven writing
Kat
Diana O’Toole, an associate specialist for Sotheby’s auction house, has her perfect life in NYC with surgical resident, Finn, mapped out - all that’s missing is the proposal and wedding, and she’s pretty sure she’s about to get the former on their romantic vacation to the Galapagos. When the initial wave of COVID hits and Finn is needed at the hospital, Diana goes solo and finds herself trapped longer than expected by travel restrictions. What she discovers during and after this extended vacatio ...more
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY***

Diana O’Toole is a young woman who is very ambitious. She has a plan for her life that she has outlined carefully.

She is happy with the track that she’s on and she has a boyfriend whom she loves and sees a future with. Finn is handsome, loving and a surgical resident!!

Diana and Finn have planned a romantic getaway to the Galapagos, where they will celebrate her 30th birthday.

They have been listening to the news, reports of a virus in China that is deadly, but it see
Gabby
I get what the author was trying to do with this book… I guess.. but it was a no from me 🤷🏻‍♀️ I thought the main character was so obnoxious and frustrating and I really don’t understand the glowing reviews. Did I miss something? 😅 Part 2 of this book takes such a surprising turn, but like.. not in a good way. It just felt kind of ridiculous to me 😬
Lisa of Troy
Nov 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Waiting out COVID-19 from the Galapagos

Diana O'Toole has always been a planner. She has serious life dreams, and she is steadily making progress. Her career is promising, and she has a hunky doctor boyfriend. She even has a travel list, and she is planning on visiting the Galapagos Islands. Timing isn't always ideal, and the pandemic breaks out just as she lands in the Galapagos. What will Diana learn about herself from this time? How much of life should be planned?

The first half of this book wa
Regina
Jan 17, 2022 rated it really liked it
If books were retail establishments, Wish You Were Here would be The COVID Store. Not a Walmart or Tesco, where you can grab a quart of COVID while you’re there to stock up on a cart-full of subjects. Nope, this is all COVID/all the time.

While many recent contemporary novels have included the new pandemic world to varying degrees of specificity, none to my knowledge have immersed readers quite so completely into one character’s experience dealing with its ramifications. The book begins just as
Jayme
Sep 01, 2021 rated it liked it
No doubt about it.

Jodi Picoult is a polished writer, and her research is always meticulous. This author can write.

So, this rating is not a reflection of her talent…but rather one reflecting my enjoyment level of reading this story. Or lack of enjoyment, as the case may be.

This book is HEAVY.

Diane O’Toole is climbing the professional ladder in the cutthroat art auction world, and is about to depart for the Galápagos, with her boyfriend, Finn, a surgical resident in Manhattan, when the first case
Michael David
Jul 31, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
HAPPY PUBLICATION DAY!

Jodi Picoult is back in the game with this touching and emotional novel set during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Diana is nearly 30, about to make a major sale in her art auction job, and is happily in a relationship with surgical resident Finn. They are about to take a two week vacation to the Galápagos, and Diana just knows Finn is going to propose to her there.

Life is perfect.

Until the very real COVID-19 pandemic hits NYC.

It’s all hands on deck at the hospital where Finn work
Kaceey
Inhale ↔️ exhale.

To be completely honest, I was nervous as hell, beginning this book. I love Jodi Picoult, but a book revolving around Covid…I wasn’t sure I could pull it off.🙈

Diana and Finn have planned the ultimate dream vacation. A once-in-a-lifetime trip to the Galápagos Islands. But when New York is ravaged by Covid, it looks like their dream holiday will have to be shelved. Finn is a resident at a large New York Hospital and things are about to hit the fan. It’s all hands on deck!

Jodi P
Catherine (alternativelytitledbooks)
**Many thanks to NetGalley, Random House-Ballantine, and Jodi Picoult for an ARC of this book! Now available as of 11.30.21!**

Close your eyes. Take a deep breath.

Can you remember EXACTLY what life was like before COVID-19? The dreams you had, the trips you wanted to take, the memories you thought you could make?

Jodi Picoult's latest novel, fresh off the front page of life, explores all of these questions, as her characters battle the pandemic from two entirely different perspectives. The result?
Emily
Oct 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Spectacular. It left an ache behind in my heart.
Cheri

Not yet thirty, Diana O’Toole has had her life planned out, she’s already moving up in her profession, working at Sotheby’s, and her personal life has been fairly smooth sailing, as well. Her boyfriend is a surgical resident, and they are preparing to leave soon for Galapagos. She will celebrate her 30th birthday while on this lovely vacation away from the city, spent with the man she loves, and is pretty sure he will propose. Everything seems to be falling into place just as she’d planned.

And t
Carolyn Walsh
Dec 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Brilliant and stunning. I preordered this book months ago when I saw it was about a trip to the Galapagos. I visited the islands 30 years ago, and memories of that enchanting place are still fresh in my mind. Unfortunately, a couple of the early reviews I read gave away the mind-boggling twist but did not interfere with my reading pleasure when the book was finally published. No twists revealed in this review. This deals with the horror of COVID in heartbreaking, riveting storytelling.

Wish You
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Somewhere between 3 - 3.5 stars

The day before Diana and Finn are scheduled to leave on their romantic getaway to the Galápagos Islands, Finn finds out he has to stay behind to continue working. Covid-19 is a new virus that is taking over NYC and it’s ‘all hands on deck’ at the hospital where he is a surgical resident. Finn tells Diana to go on the trip without him and she does.

This was my first dive into a Covid themed novel. I was really hesitant in knowing if I was “ready” to tackle this subje
Karen
Sep 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a page turner!
This is a pandemic themed novel involving a young couple who live together in NYC at the time when COVID was first beginning to swamp the hospitals and there were so many deaths.
Finn is a hospital resident doctor at the hospital and Diana is an art specialist at Sotheby’s.
They had a previously planned trip to the Galapagos, and when the departure date comes.. Finn insists that Diana go alone since he can’t get away, as he is stuck basically 24/7 at the hospital.
Diana makes it
Tina
What can I say about this that hasn't already been written? Jodi Picoult is the master of research and her writing is top-notch here! I listened to the audiobook and the narrator was perfect!

Part One was hands-down a 5 star. It "wowed" me!!

Part Two was good and fascinated me but I feel it was a little bit too long.

If you're ready for a Covid story 😷 then this one is for you. Be prepared to go on a gutsy journey about survival, courage, love and loss.
Barbara
“Wish You Were Here” is Jodi Picoult’s 26th novel and expected to be seen on Netflix in the future. In this story, Picoult addresses the virus, to make sense (if there is any sense) to the pandemic.

Picoult chose to use the Galapagos to center her story. Her protagonist, Diana, is on the edge of 30; she’s single and living with her surgeon boyfriend in NYC. Diana and her man, Finn, are set to enjoy a beautiful and needed vacation to the Galapagos. Unfortunately, the virus becomes an issue right b
Chris
Dec 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Someone asked me whether people will still be reading this novel in fifty years. Yes, I think so. Jodi Picoult has given us a long and diverse library, but WISH YOU WERE HERE is special. It's not just a riveting, deeply moving, and impeccably researched novel: it chronicles an historic moment in time: March - May 2020, and the first months of the Covid19 pandemic. WISH YOU WERE HERE is the sort of book that helps define a novelist's legacy: it's that good and, yes, that important. ...more
Jackie
Jul 30, 2021 rated it did not like it
I got to read this as an ARC by NetGalley. I didn't request it because I am somewhat "over" Picoult. Her latest books are a chance for her to stand on a soap box and proclaim her views of controversial topics. It's not that I disagree or agree with her views, but she has become biased in giving just one side of the issue. In the past, her books have given the reader a chance to consider both sides, however, not so in her latest novels. The idea of Covid is a very touchy subject in many people's ...more
Marilyn
Aug 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult was a very moving and timely novel. I had read some advanced reviews about what this book was about but they were not able to prepare me for how reading Wish You Were Here was going to affect me. Jodi Picoult was able to capture all the underlying fears, warnings, precautions, attitudes, compliance and non-compliance to the threat of Covid-19 as it overtook and cast its ugly face upon the world. Her extensive research was masterful. She captured the essence of ...more
Whitney Erwin
Aug 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow!! Wish you were here is so GOOD!! Such an intense page turner!!! It was very hard to put down. I wasn’t sure how I felt about reading a book COVID related but Jodi Picoult did it perfectly. The letters from Finn describing handling COVID at the hospital were heartbreaking and so real. It was eye-opening! Jodi really did her research before writing this one. About halfway through the book, Jodi threw in a total shocker and it was so intense and so unexpected! This book kept me on the edge of ...more
Susanne
Aug 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
Review posted to blog: https://books-are-a-girls-best-friend...

Cue the tears.

Wish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult: A novel I thought I was prepared for.. and it kicked me in the gut anyways.

In ways I never imagined possible.

Covid. This novel centers around Covid and it’s as real as it gets. If this book is on your to-be-read shelf, prepare yourself...it’s gonna be a tough one. In addition, prepare yourself for the fact that it's also NOTHING like you think it’s going to be.

Emotional Heartbreak. D
ScrappyMags
Capturing COVID…

⏰ 𝐒𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐒𝐮𝐦𝐦𝐚𝐫𝐲 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫: Diana O’Toole is the proverbial New York “has it all” girl: amazing job, dedicated boyfriend, a wondrous, goal-oriented life planned out in pristine perfect detail. Until she doesn’t have anything. COVID interrupts and Diana is separated from it all - stranded on the Galápagos Islands where the virus has shuttered the island. Diana makes due, makes a few friends, adapts to her new life, and in the process questions every one of her life choices…

💡𝐓𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐬:
Liz
Oct 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars, rounded up
This story tackles COVID straight on. It’s March, 2020. Diana and Finn are due to go on a vacation to the Galápagos Islands. But Finn, a surgical resident at a NYC hospital, is told all vacations are canceled. Diana goes alone. When she arrives, she doesn’t quite get what is happening, that everything is shutting down and she should turn around and leave. She gets trapped on an island with no open hotels or restaurants, hardly any WiFi access, little money and not speaking S
Barbara
Dec 21, 2021 rated it liked it

In the Author's Note at the end of this book Jodi Picoult, who has asthma, describes her reaction to the Covid lockdown. She says, "I was at home, paralyzed with fear. I couldn't breathe well on a good day; I couldn't even imagine what Covid would do to my lungs.....I couldn't distract myself with my work. I couldn't write. I couldn't even read." When Picoult eventually broke her slump she decided to write a book to chronicle the pandemic: "To tell the tale of how the world shut down, a
L.A.
Sep 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jodi Picoult delivers some elaborate research and captures raw feelings in this global realization. We have loved, lost, feared, and gained a real understanding of the important things in our lives, readjusted our focus and revamped the workforce and our definition of heroes. No one will ever be the same as generations before us warned, but we continue to persevere through a lockdown, isolation and resilience.

This book shares a fictional story of a young couple Finn & Diana planning their tropi
Diana's a selfish flake 5 133 22 hours, 40 min ago
Play Book Tag: Wish You Were Here - Jodi Picoult - 4 stars 1 4 May 24, 2022 06:55AM
Cranbury Public L...: Wish you were here by Jodi Picoult 1 5 Apr 20, 2022 01:21PM
Play Book Tag: Wish You Were Here by Jodi Picoult 4 stars 4 27 Mar 01, 2022 01:34PM

• The Next Thing You Know
  • The Girl with the Green Eyes (Take Her Back, #1)
  • The Midwife's Secret
  • The Violence
  • The World Played Chess
  • The New Wife
See top shelves…
Jodi Picoult is the author of twenty-six novels, including the #1 New York Times bestsellers Small Great Things, A Spark of Light, Leaving Time, The Storyteller, Lone Wolf, Between the Lines, Sing You Home, House Rules, Handle with Care, Change of Heart, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister’s Keeper. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband and three children.

Her new novel, THE BOOK OF TWO WAYS, is

Articles featuring this book

The concept of “the page-turner” has always been a little slippery. Typically, the term refers to books with gripping, plot-heavy narratives....
“Busy is just a euphemism for being so focused on what you don’t have that you never notice what you do. It’s a defense mechanism. Because if you stop hustling—if you pause—you start wondering why you ever thought you wanted all those things.” 17 likes
“You can't plan your life, Finn,' I say quietly, 'Because then you have a plan. Not a life.” 12 likes