Start by marking “Good Girl Complex” as Want to Read:
Good Girl Complex

Good Girl Complex

(Avalon Bay #1)

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  17,722 ratings  ·  3,058 reviews
She does everything right. So what could go wrong?

Mackenzie "Mac" Cabot is a people pleaser. Her demanding parents. Her prep school friends. Her long-time boyfriend. It's exhausting, really, always following the rules. Unlike most twenty-year-olds, all she really wants to do is focus on growing her internet business, but first she must get a college degree at her parents'
Published February 1st 2022 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Good Girl Complex, please sign up.

·  17,722 ratings  ·  3,058 reviews

Start your review of Good Girl Complex
Larissa Cambusano
Dec 19, 2021 rated it it was ok
it took me 3 weeks to get through this book. THREE FUCKING WEEKS, let that sink in. have y’all read ‘After’ by Anna Todd? did you love it and just want more? well look no further! good girl complex is.. the exact.. same.. thing. a literal replica of that storyline. I’m not gonna lie, I got to 60% of this book and then I skimmed the rest of it. it was so predictable, not for one second did I wonder where the story was gonna go. I didn’t connect or like any of the characters. Cooper was okay, but ...more
Matilda
Feb 04, 2022 rated it did not like it
1 star

Fair warning, this review will be full of spoilers so if you plan on reading this, I would tread carefully. But, you should also read this so you don't waste your time with this monstrosity 🥰 This will also be one of my messiest review yet

The one lesson I learned from this was to actually listen to other people when they tell you to avoid a book

This book is absolutely disgusting. I’ve spent the last 2 days I read this book trying to figure what the Cooper’s (H) personality is besides b
chan ☆
Mar 19, 2022 rated it it was ok
this was bad. outer banks with none of the charm. i hate when a romantic relationship is built on a lie and i especially hate when said romantic relationship is chemistry-less.
jessica
Mar 13, 2022 rated it really liked it
the low average rating initially had me worried, but i actually really liked this!

i did take a look at some of the 1 star reviews and i can see where those readers are coming from. is this super similar to ‘after?’ yes. i immediately saw the similarities, as well. but is this better-written than ‘after?’ yes, it is. are the characters much more enjoyable to read about than those in ‘after?’ also yes. did i think ‘after’ was more toxic and problematic? yes. which is probably why i enjoyed this so
CristiinaReads❀
Aug 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-books
Two individuals from the opposite side of the tracks that meet under circumstances that lead them to be together in a rough and sensual way...

Another Elle Kennedy masterpiece. A piece of work that I have been waiting for, I have been craving for this kind of Elle's writing. I was starting to go downhill with her previous spin off books, and this book made me turn around and fall in love with her male characters once again. And falling for Cooper has made me a tiny bit obsessive with his pers
Nilufer Ozmekik
Sep 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Whoop whoop! Happy book birthday to this lovely YA romance from Elle Kennedy!

Sweet, wealthy, decent girl meets with tattooed, troubled, fiery bad boy formula has a special place in my heart!

At this book: sassy, smart, sexy banters and super hot chemistry between the characters hook you up, providing you entertaining, steamy, feel-good romance vibes.

A little Gilmore Girls meet Outerbanks and After series vibes make you enjoy this lovely plot!

Here’s the love triangle members:
Mackenzie ( Mack) :
Mia
Feb 08, 2022 rated it did not like it
I have seen better writing scribbled on the walls of public toilets.
Anna
Feb 04, 2022 rated it it was ok
… Okay. Wow.

Let me preface this by saying Elle Kennedy’s written some amazing books. The Deal was obviously perfection, not to mention my personal favorite, The Chase (Summer and Fitz, ugh, the best).

I really, really thought I would love this one, but, unfortunately, very little worked for me in this story.

The plot seemed to be inspired by After, meaning the hero, Cooper, a local to the small beach town of Avalon Bay, is dared by his friends to hook up with Mackenzie – the wealthy girlfriend of
❥ KAT ❥ Kitty Kats Crazy About Books
90ca45e7e7c6ddfa7f3d6d91a5f154bd-1-3-1-2
MY REVIEW AND OTHERS: can also be found on my blog:
➽ KITTY KATS CRAZY ABOUT BOOKS

When an altercation stirs up at 'Joe's Beachfront Bar' where Cooper is currently working at bartending and he takes on a 'clone' that's throwing unwanted advances at his close friend whose also bartending that night, Cooper takes it a wee bit too far and is dismissed on the spot.

After doing a wee bit of digging his close group of friends concoct a plan to take the guy down a peg or two by stealing his
☽ mira (hiatus)
Feb 01, 2022 marked it as dnf
DNF @7%

i don't even have will power to just skim this book and then give a hate review. its just bad. boohoo you're poor boohoo ok? i've read enough reviews to know how this ends and its not good.
sara
‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾☆ 3.45 stars ☆☽༓・*˚⁺‧͙

“I don’t want a bright sunny future—if she’s not by my side to enjoy it.”

***There’s cheating in this book. Not in the main couple, the h makes out with the H while having a boyfriend***

ohhh okay, so I started this and wasn’t feeling it AT ALL. Idky, but the beginning felt too chaotic?? it was weird, but I kept going and started to get into it.

What I liked:
🤍the gangggg, at first I didn’t, but then they all became friends and I’m down for books for everyone. Hel
Christy
Dec 31, 2021 rated it liked it

Good Girl Complex is a new adult/opposites attract romance by Elle Kennedy and I was so ready for it. I am such a fan of Elle Kennedy’s. In fact, I think her ‘Off-Campus’ series is my all time favorite sports series. When I saw the blurb and cover, I couldn’t wait. Unfortunately, this one missed the mark for me.

Cooper is a ‘townie’ and Mackenzie is a rich student at the local college. The townies and the ‘clones’ don’t mix, but Cooper has a reason for wanting to get Mackenzie to be f
Jena
(warning, long review)
I wanted to love this, but the synopsis didn't really explain the main premise of this book, which unfortunately, consisted entirely of tropes and story lines that I hate, so I went into this book with high hopes, only to be sorely disappointed. Additionally, I think I've just outgrown Elle Kennedy's writing style. Although I loved her Off Campus series, nothing since then (The Briar U spin off series included) has really impressed me. Although I was initially a li
Natasha
Feb 01, 2022 rated it did not like it
Shelves: too-much-drama
This whole book felt like After fanfiction.

The storyline is basically poor tattooed bad boy (Cooper) is fired from his bartending job bc he got in a fight with some rich guy. so to take revenge on the rich guy his friends propose a bet that he should seduce his girlfriend a.k.a the h (Mackenzie) who is "the plain rich good girl" to make her fall in love with him and leave her asshole bf and then publicly dump her. And ofc he thinks that's a great idea. Let's toy with some girl's feelings, what
Ꮗ€♫◗☿ ❤️ ilikebooksbest.com ❤️

Heat/Steam: 🔥🔥
Story/Plot: 📕📗📘📙📔
World building: 🌎🌍🌏🌎🌎
Character development: 🧐😕😍😗🤯

The heroine(s): Mackenzie Cabot (a.k.a Mac) - She is dating Preston, who is pretentious, pompous and a cheater to boot. Mac took a gap year to start her own business and she has made 7 figures, yet she promised her parents that if she could take a gap year, she would go to the college of their choice when it was over.

The Hero(s): Coope
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This wasn’t terrible, but I don’t think Elle Kennedy’s writing tone is really my vibe. I’m more into lighthearted rom-coms than Angsty Pining™ so this didn't really do anything for me if I'm being honest. If you like a more serious romance with high angst, you'd probably still enjoy this! But it was truly not my jam, so: meeeehhhhhh ...more
Susan's Reviews
Jan 11, 2022 rated it really liked it
MacKenzie and Cooper - a disaster waiting to happen? Or the pairing of two highly attractive opposites?

Cooper is a Townie in a small coastal North Carolina town. MacKenzie, daughter of a congressman, is "wifey" material - born and bred to be the "arm-candy" wife of an equally socially prominent scion of a filthy rich corporate big wig - also known as "the Clones."

Naturally the Townies resent the Clones and their pompous ways. West Side Story meets The Devil Wears Prada and then some!

One fateful
Geri Reads
Aug 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!

I love it when a book delivers on the trope it hinted at and then some. That’s basically what Good Girl Complex by Elle Kennedy did!

This book was only my third contemporary this year that I finished! My first new adult romance in like forever and I’m so happy it met my expectations. In fact, this book gave me the same kind of feeling I had when I finished the Deal and you guys know how much I loved The Deal!

Anyway…first off, we get to meet an entirely new set of characters. From trust
Kelsi
Apr 09, 2022 rated it really liked it
My new favorite quote thanks to Elle Kennedy: “Fuck love. Build the empire.”
Whitney Erwin
Sep 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Happy Publishing day!!! This awesome book is now available!!

Such a cute, fun read! I was drawn to this book by the adorable cover. I loved the good girl meets bad boy storyline. It was interesting and kept you turning the pages! Mackenzie and Cooper brought the steam and amazing chemistry! It was an easy read and I finished it fast. Highly recommend this one.

Thank you Net Galley and St. Martins Press for an ARC in return for my honest review.
Lana ❇✾DG Romance❇✾
5 STARS
I was half asleep until I met him.

Oh Elle Kennedy, how I've missed your writing. This book just hit all of the right spots for me, and I really do mean all of the right spots. I sincerely hope this is the start of an incredible new series because I'm seriously in love with the setting of Avalon Bay and all of the secondary characters introduced here. But I digress. Let's chat Good Girl Complex. Because, man I loved this book.

This is your opposites attract, rich girl meets boy
Debra
Jan 30, 2022 rated it really liked it
Rich girl, Mackenzie "Mac" Cabot meets the super sexy, handsome bad boy townie, Cooper Hartley. She feels the pull and attraction. But (there is always a but), she has been dating Preston for quite some time. It is expected. She and Preston are from the same circles. Their parents approve - they are the perfect match on paper but....

Mac wants more out of life. She has created her own business and is ready to put her people pleasing days behind her. She has always done what is expected of her. Bu
Nenia ✨ I yeet my books back and forth ✨ Campbell
I am such a whore for good girl/bad boy romances

I blame the 80s
deleted user (hiatus)
Feb 01, 2022 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-stars, 2022
DNF 65%

like those old wattpad stories but worse
h o l l i s
I'll admit, I grabbed this because of the author and the fact that this wasn't related to the Off-Campus books. Because while I loved that series -- though admittedly lost some love with the spin-off -- I wanted to see what Kennedy could do in a new space, with new concepts, and different characters.

The answer, however, is.. there wasn't much new-ness to this.

This is a fairly typical rich girl/good girl/highsociety girl meets poor boy/bad boy/local boy set-up and it does all the things you would
booksnpenguins (desktop's version)
Time to wipe up my smudged mascara and be a bad bitch.
Fuck love. Build the empire.

last-banner822065b4a2007932.jpg

I can't resist books where people have last names as first names, and when those books are written by the queen of chick-lit Elle Kennedy herself, there's nothing in this world that could stop me from reading them.
Kennedy has the unique ability to make me think every single one of her characters, female and male that they are, is the most beautiful, sexy and adorable human who's ever walked the earth.
I lo
Lacey (laceybooklovers)
Well... this was quite underwhelming. Honesty I can't believe Elle Kennedy wrote it! It just felt like an overly cliched new adult college romance. I was hoping we'd get some good angst from the relationship starting on a lie, but that didn't work out like I wanted. ...more
Carrie
Dec 05, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Good Girl Complex by Elle Kennedy is a standalone contemporary romance novel. The story in Good Girl Complex is one that does have a changing point of view and is a take on the old wrong side of the tracks romance trope with a slight love triangle involved.

At twenty Mackenzie “Mac” Cabot has still not grown out of the need to please everyone and do as others think she should. Growing up in a rich family Mac’s parents dismissed her accomplishment of creating an app that generated a seven figure b
Melissa Dimmer
Apr 12, 2022 rated it liked it
3.5 really!
✰ Aileen ✰
The queen has returned with another book and I fucking loved it.

• King of Battle and Blood (Adrian x Isolde, #1)
  • Accomplished: A Georgie Darcy Novel
  • The Guilt Trip
  • Long Story Short
  • How to Survive a Modern-Day Fairy Tale
  • The Fixer Upper
  • Hook, Line, and Sinker (Bellinger Sisters, #2)
  • When You Wish Upon a Duke (Awakened by a Kiss, #2)
  • Being Mary Bennet
  • Cloud Cuckoo Land
  • The Witch Collector (Witch Walker, #1)
  • Bend Toward the Sun
See top shelves…
A New York Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal bestselling author, Elle Kennedy grew up in the suburbs of Toronto, Ontario, and holds a B.A. in English from York University. From an early age, she knew she wanted to be a writer, and actively began pursuing that dream when she was a teenager.

Elle currently writes for various publishers. She loves strong heroines and sexy alpha heroes, and just

Avalon Bay (2 books)
  • Bad Girl Reputation

Articles featuring this book

“I should have to suffer for how I hurt you. I fucking am suffering. But I'm begging you to put me out of my misery.” 1 likes