Start by marking “Reputation” as Want to Read:
Reputation

Reputation

3.80  ·  Rating details ·  6,371 ratings  ·  1,469 reviews
The hilarious debut novel from Lex Croucher. A classic romcom with a Regency-era twist, for fans of Mean Girls and/or Jane Austen.

Abandoned by her parents, middle-class Georgiana Ellers has moved to a new town to live with her dreary aunt and uncle. At a particularly dull party, she meets the enigmatic Frances Campbell, a wealthy member of the in-crowd who lives a life Geo
Published April 5th 2022 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published July 8th 2021)

To ask other readers questions about Reputation, please sign up.
Trina I would definitely consider this novel written in the YA genre, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. The protagonist spends almost the entire nove…moreI would definitely consider this novel written in the YA genre, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. The protagonist spends almost the entire novel lying to her guardian and going unchaperoned (!) from party to party to drink and do drugs, bullying and being bullied, in order to gain approval from a group of mean, rich kids (who naturally are multi-racial and lgbtq, in regency England 🙄), and trying to avoid being sexually assaulted. Kind of cringe-y, like a series on CW or Freeform. There are many better books for teens to read, but as long as the above mentioned content isn’t too problematic, there isn’t anything too graphic or even too much bad language. There is a smattering of verbal and physical (including sexual) abuse, both actual and alluded to throughout, but mostly allusion. I would put it at 17+ and recommend Austen or the Brontës for the younger set interested in period romance—which this is not. (less)
Liv The main character is not but there is a sapphic romance in the background.

·  6,371 ratings  ·  1,469 reviews

Start your review of Reputation
Nilufer Ozmekik
Oct 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
I don't give a damn 'bout my reputation! Living in the past, it's a new generation!
A girl can do what she wants to do and that's what I'm gonna do!
I think this smart, entertaining, unputdownable book deserved a powerful start with Joan Jett and Blackhearts’ Bad Reputation song’s opening lyrics!

Can you imagine what kind of intriguing concept the author presented to its readers:
Bridgerton with more Gossip Girl meets Mean Girls with Austen novel vibes is dreamy concept for a bookworm like me who
chan ☆
Jun 03, 2022 rated it really liked it
there were certain darker themes and inclusions that i felt were a bit unnecessary given the overall tone and vibe of the story buuuuut

i still enjoyed the hell out of this. i'm not the type to get hung up on historical accuracy as i enjoy a historical romance and they are very rarely accurate. i mention this because that seems to be the recurring complaint about this book, that and the rampant alcoholism and generally bitchiness of the main character. the latter is certainly a fair complaint. i
hope anna
Oct 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is a truth, universally acknowledged, that this book fucking slaps.

This will be one of the best books you read in 2021! Funny, witty and so heart wrenching in its relatability, Lex has managed to capture the delight of regency novels while telling a story that rings far too true for today’s society. REPUTATION has the wit of Emma and the aesthetic of a Sofia Coppola movie
Alexis Hall
Source of book: NetGalley (thank you!)
Relevant disclaimers: none
Please note: This review may not be reproduced or quoted, in whole or in part, without explicit consent from the author

Trigger warnings for drug and alcoholic use and misuse, death of family members, domestic violence, emotionally abusive families, rape, sexual assault, slut-shaming, toxic friendships, racism, violence.

This book is absolutely *chef’s kiss*. It’s basically Regency Mean Girls and I adored it beyond measure. I will say
Jasmine
Mar 28, 2022 rated it really liked it
If Mean Girls and Emma had a baby, it would be Reputation by Lex Croucher.

After having little choice but to move in with her aunt and uncle, Georgiana Ellers is desperate to get out of the house, to do anything like the heroines in her favourite books. At a dreadfully dull dinner party, Georgiana meets the breathtaking Frances Campbell, daughter of Lord and Lady Campbell.

Georgiana gets swept up in the extravagant and debauched lifestyle of Frances and her wealthy friends. And, of course, there
Abby
Aug 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is my new obsession, I need MORE
Sara
ARC received in exchange for an honest review.

Described as a 'coming of age romcom', I'd actually say this is a lot darker than the fluffy historical romance many will be expecting. Georgiana Ellers has been sent to stay with her aunt and uncle while her inattentive parents take to the coast. Friendless and without any clear direction in life, Georgiana's fortunes change when she meets the the effervescent and irresistable Frances Campbell. The ultimate party girl, Frances is filthy rich and fa
Rachel
April (Aprilius Maximus)
The disappointment is real
Maria Espadinha
Jun 06, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Rebellion of (Jane Austen) Maidens

What the Heck is Happening Here?

Smoking, Drinking, Wild Parties…

It’s the 19th century, for god’s sake!
Girls weren’t supposed to do that!…

No wonder the author kicks off the novel with an apology to our beloved Jane Austen! 😜

Reputation has been labeled as historical fiction.
Well… in its own peculiar way it’s a portrait of an era, but… it also makes fun of an epoch where women started as daughters to end up wives, mothers and…period!…

What would happen if 19th
Maria Espadinha
Jun 05, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Hello Life, Farewell Reputation

Get out of my way Reputation, I want a Life with the Real Me…

How manny 19th century maidens you know with that sort of guts?

Jane Austen heroines?! Seriously?!
It’s true those maidens were slightly rebels, but… did they really misbehave? You know… drink alcohol, smoke, take drugs?… Stuff like that?!… 😜

I don’t think so, do you?!..

Well… now you know why the author starts this book with an apology to Jane Austen 😜

Reputation can be irreverent and deliciously witty whils
Lex Croucher
Apr 01, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Friends! Now that Reputation is available to review I've provided a list of content warnings here: https://www.lexcroucher.co.uk/reputat... ...more
Sunny
Apr 11, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars! Delightful. Forgot that hetero regency romance with queer side characters can be fun
Claudia
Mar 30, 2022 rated it really liked it
A fun and engaging novel that asks what if Mean Girls had petticoats?

Reputation follows our main character Georginia who moves to a small town with her aunt and uncle after her parents ditch. Georginia finds her quiet life a little upended when she meets Frances Campbell, a wealthy and wild girl with friends who are the most elite and most unafraid of consequences.

The book is based around Mean Girls and has plenty of references to prove it, even with the main character's name. If you grew up w
charlotte,
probably was gonna go 4 stars but then it made me almost cry so

Rep: sapphic(?) mc, biracial Black sapphic character, lesbian character, gay character, biracial Indian li, side character with depression

CWs: sexual assault, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, implied rape, attempted rape
Hannah B.
Jun 17, 2022 rated it liked it
✨The limit exists and we have found it✨

Okayyyy not as bad as I was expecting! Overall I think I liked the story but I also think I didn’t for a good portion of the book. If that makes any sense (we all know it doesn’t).

I liked Georgiana for the most part and really loved Thomas! The romance of their relationship definitely bumped this up a bit in my ratings because it was very sweet.

I liked the Mean Girls references and I like the time period, but man it just did not feel like the feels that M
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
While I wouldn't call it hilarious, as it was billed as, it was definitely a fairly good mash-up of Mean Girls meets Bridgerton but add in more queer and BIPOC characters.

I had hoped it was sapphic, based on what I had thought the blurb meant, but after reading a few other reviews was prepared to be disappointed. I think Georginia *might* be bisexual, but it's not explored.

Anywho, it's basically Mean Girls in the Regency Era, with sexual assault that was handled much better than I had anticipate
karine ❥
Mar 14, 2022 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bc
i hated this book more than i hate myself. and i REALLY hate me.

so, right, this author can write a whole bunch of nothing and get away with 3.94 of average rating? wtf are wrong with you ppl? im VERY pissed. this book is a fucking mess. the characters has no personality traits and all of them are awful ppl. im not even gonna start with the WRITING.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

i wonder if people who gave this a 5 star review read the same mess as i did. this what this “book” should be called: A MESS.

i
Lindsey Rojem
I'd give this book 10 stars if I could, it was delicious and perfect and hard to put down. I loved the humor (actually laughed out loud at several spots) and I loved the characters. It's modeled after Pride & Prejudice but had enough twists and excitement that it didn't feel like an exact copy. Big fan, highly recommend, and I look forward to other books by this author. ...more
QuietBlizzard
A satisfied 3.5 stars.

What Bridgerton could have been had it been written by someone with actual talent and sense of humor (and also, incidentally but not unimportantly, by someone who is not an apologist for rape).

Definitely not a fluffy rom-com, but still a solid romance novel. Nothing sweeps me of my feet lately so I can’t penalize it too much for not pulling me in that much, but the Mean Girls references made me chuckle more than once.
Pip
Jul 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
PERFECT. DIVINE. EVERYTHING I’VE EVER WANTED.

it’s like Lex went inside my brain and picked out every element that would make a perfect book for me, and then they wrote it?? quite staggering. but I appreciate it
;3
Jul 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 or a 4 i cant decide

anyway i love u frances campbell <3
captain raccoon.
3.75 stars rounded up

(if i have to have this earworm then you do too)

i liked so much of what reputation did that i ended up glomming it until the wee hours of the morning on a school night. if a book set during regency times uses a quote from mean girls in cold blood then it will have my eternal admiration. (seriously, the quote was so good i had to put my kindle down for like 5 minutes because i was cackling like a witch.) but for all its positives i’m not sure i actually enjoyed reading this?
Katie.dorny
Oct 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2021, lgbtq
A raucous romp through the regency era.

This was pure fun for the most part. Witty with a serious storyline, it hit all the right notes.
~ prapti
Apr 18, 2022 marked it as to-read
is this a Jane Austen X Taylor Swift? it sure does sound very tempting
steph ♡
This book was atrocious, I don't want to talk about it. 0/10 on all fronts, the end ...more
Sarah-Jane

I received a copy of Reputation from NetGalley for review.

Content warnings can be found here: https://www.lexcroucher.co.uk/reputat...

Reputation is debut with flavours of both Mean Girls and Gossip Girl set in a regency setting. Our protagonist Georgiana Ellers has been sent to live with her aunt after her parents relocate due to her mother’s ill health. Everything about her new life is dreary and dull until she meets Frances Campbell - the life and soul of the parties Georgiana longs to attend
lola
Mar 28, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 ⭐️

to preface my review, i should mention that this book is not what i expected. from the cover, tag line, blurb, and even the first 100 pages, i expected a lesbian bridgerton on drugs. that is not what i got, and the main romance in this book is very much heterosexual.

whilst disappointing (misleading at best, queer-baiting at worst), i still enjoyed this story for the most part. it was a fun and scandalous take on the regency period, and i found myself laughing out loud on multiple occasion
Literary Redhead
Mar 15, 2022 rated it it was amazing
REPUTATION
by Lex Croucher
St. Martin's Press, St. Martin's Griffin.
Pub Date: Apr 5

What a wild Regency romance! And such fun!

Georgiana Ellers lives with her staid aunt and uncle after her parents abandon her. Once quiet and bookish herself, she finds life changes radically when she meets free-spirited Frances Campbell, a member of a rich clique who abhors polite society.

Frances' world includes drunken parties with handsome men -- activities that certainly sully reputations valued most highly in r
Nicole Wuthering Vines
Mar 26, 2022 rated it really liked it
“𝐁𝐫𝐢𝐝𝐠𝐞𝐫𝐭𝐨𝐧 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐠𝐨𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐩 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐚 𝐝𝐚𝐬𝐡 𝐨𝐟 𝐉𝐚𝐧𝐞 𝐀𝐮𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐧” oh have I never been so intrigued! Sign me up!

I really enjoyed this historical romantic comedy plot and was excited to read it leading up to today’s release of the Bridgerton season two!

I found this one to be such a fun and modern day take on your typical regency romances and I absolutely relished in how witty and entertaining it was!

I got total Mean Girl vibes from this one and ultimately just found it such a breathe if fresh air!

• Dial A for Aunties (Aunties #1)
  • For the Wolf (Wilderwood, #1)
  • The Sanatorium (Detective Elin Warner, #1)
  • Girl A
  • Hamnet
  • The Last Goodbye
  • The House in the Cerulean Sea
  • Hana Khan Carries On
  • The Duke and I (Bridgertons, #1)
  • The Catch
  • Adulting
  • The Girl with the Louding Voice
  • Across the Green Grass Fields (Wayward Children, #6)
  • Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown
  • Burnt Sugar
  • The Prophets
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb, #1)
  • The Days of Abandonment
See top shelves…
Lex Croucher grew up in Surrey, reading a lot of books and making friends with strangers on the internet, and now lives in London with an elderly cat. REPUTATION is Lex's first novel, with YA debut GWEN AND ART ARE NOT IN LOVE coming in 2023. ...more

Articles featuring this book

“It seemed unwise to her that he had chosen to insult her when she was still holding a weapon in her hand, especially a weapon she had just proven she was far more adept than him at using – but with regret, she had not shot him.” 1 likes