Start by marking “The Coming of Wisdom (The Seventh Sword, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Coming of Wisdom (The Seventh Sword, #2)

The Coming of Wisdom (The Seventh Sword #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  2,378 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
The Goddess had rescued Wallie Smith from certain death, endowed him with a magnificent new body, and gifted him with the legendary Sapphire Sword of Chioxin. She asked only one service in return . . .
So Wallie became the Goddess' champion -- and promptly found himself on the losing side in a battle against magics far beyond any the priests of the Goddess could hope to sum
Published July 12th 1988 by Del Rey Books

To ask other readers questions about The Coming of Wisdom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming of Wisdom

Algernon
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
[7/10]
In this Seventh Sword sequel, the swordsman is no longer 'reluctant' - Wally Smith refers to himself as Shonsu and he has accepted the role of Goddess Champion, even if he (and the reader) is still clueless about what the mission is actually about. All he has is a 'gnomic utterance': a puzzle in the form of prophecy, and a band of brothers and sisters to help him along. And a World to discover:

Now he was going to be given a chance to see a whole new planet and an ancient and complex cultu
Lianne Pheno
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chronique tirée de mon blog :

Un second tome vraiment très sympa !
On est vraiment dans la même ambiance que dans le premier tome, c'est à dire cette façon de se sentir décalé dans ce monde qui semble avoir des règles absurdes.

Wallie est toujours perdu, il ne comprend pas pourquoi il est dans ce monde, dans ce nouveau corps et avec toujours ce vocabulaire qu'il ne peux pas utiliser. D'un coté ça le frustre mais d'un autre coté il faut avouer que ça n'a pas que des mauvais cotés.
En fait il s'adapt
Metaphorosis

reviews.metaphorosis.com

3 stars

Wallie Smith, chemical engineer now in the body of Shonsu the master swordsman, has a goddess' riddle to work out, and little in the way of hints. But he has a fellowship of able assistants of all stripes, and the best he can do is try to muddle it all out.

The Coming of Wisdom has all of Dave Duncan's usual light fantasy charm and personality, but less in the way of structure and plot. It's a solidly entertaining continuation of the storyline, but not much more, a
Douglas Debner
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was solidly 4 stars. Its not a thrill a minute but it is intelligent and interesting. The main character is brought from our world to a bronze age world with gods. The gods give him a quest but cannot directly interfere with human free will. So the quest is given to him as a riddle.

This book only has one serious negative- it ends just when the hero solves the riddle. As a result it didn't feel like a complete story. Normally that sort of crap comes across as the author milking his rea
Leon Aldrich
May 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Seventh Sword #2

Book Description:

Wallie Smith is staring death in the face; only a miracle can save him. And then one does! The Goddess appears to preserve his soul, but she does much more than that. She promises to bestow upon him a new and powerful body, and, more importantly, to endow him with the fabled Sapphire Sword of Chioxin. But nothing in this world or any other comes without a price. The Goddess demands that, for her services, Wallie become her champion. It will be an honor to ser
Brett
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Seventh Sword Trilogy continues as Wallie/Shonsu, Nnanji and their retinue first encounter the dread sorcerers. Dave Duncan continues to flesh out his incredibly original World and explores freewill versus destiny, the nature of miracles, and faith responses.

Additional plotlines are developed as well as the swordsmen are scrutinized and exposed. Nnanji's childlike idealism becomes tempered by experience but his zeal remains untarnished. And Wallie begins to discern why The Goddess chose him
Sbuchler
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sbuchler by: Sabrina
Genre: High Fantasy

Second book in the _Seventh Sword_ series. It continues to be fast-pased and quite interesting. The structure of this book is an action-mystery. It turns out that the world that Wallie has been dumped in has sorcerers who seem to be the reason the Goddess has brough Wallie to this world. The question of what they can do, and how it works is the crux of the novel. I love the twist at the end - it's a rare one in fantasy, in my experience - but if I gush about it I'll give away
Kathleen
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-scifi, audio
4.5 stars. Blessed by the goddess with a magical sword, Shonsu / Wallie tries to interpret the riddle and the fire god's will, meanwhile gathering a small group of comrades, including swordsmen, slaves, sailors, spies, and priests. Intelligent plot nicely paced out with likable characters, a thread of humor, and a spot of romance.
astaliegurec
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dave Duncan's "The Coming of Wisdom (The Seventh Sword Book 2)" picks up immediately after the end of the previous book. It's written in the same style as that book, so you know what to expect here. One thing that I did find better is that this book stays on story better than the first book (the earlier work having a lot of "setting the stage" stuff). Duncan also does some nice work with entwining various plot aspects together. About the only thing that bothers me is that the "mystery" of the so ...more
David Finney
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story continues and the battle between the sorcerers and swordsmen progresses. It's a fun trilogy so far but I'd figured out the twist in book one and was waiting for Wallie to catch up.
Kathryn Baron
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Fun. However, the big reveal was very odvious for most of the book. Minus one star for stupidity.
Marko
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review written for the last book in the series:
This is the third and final book in the Seventh Sword trilogy. I read the entire trilogy over the past couple of weeks and I take that as proof that it had gripping power and was well enough written to keep me hooked until I had finished all the books. While trying not to spoil anything, the story is about a swordsman who is given a task in the form of a riddle and who then ventures to explore the world and finds love, power and sadness on the way.

O
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
As a review for the series, I liked it but omg detail detail detail detail - SO MUCH DETAIL. If you like Robert Jordan, or Raymond E Feist, you'll probably like this series. The story flows and the characters are likeable, it's not hard to read and I read 3 books in a few days (haven't got my hands on #4 yet). I found myself skipping paragraphs and getting annoyed simply because everyone was so hung up on How.Things.Are. Even saying Hello to someone is ridiculously formal. The series centres aro ...more
Julie
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I was wavering between giving this book 3 or 4 stars and decided on 3 stars. I liked the book but I got bogged down during some of it. I guess I'm wary of books that go from one place to another just to have the characters moving. If I notice the characters are just moving that's not a good thing. If a book is good I don't notice the movement it's just part of the story. While I recognize that there were reasons for the movement in this book , it was too much. The whole second book is about char ...more
Ian Armstrong
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the off chance that it's not blatantly obvious I shall start by pointing out that this is the second book in what (until very recently) was a trilogy. The reveals in this book would spoil the journey started in The Reluctant Swordsman, so please ensure that you've read that before proceeding to read this one.

Those who enjoyed The Reluctant Swordsman will not be disappointed in this second instalment. Mr Duncan continues to expand on the culture, history and beliefs of The World and The People
Cal
Jun 01, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 Any author mentioning Travis McGhee gets my vote. The good stuff has to do with when adhering blindly to a code of honor becomes wrong. Wisdom is knowing when to pay attention the sutra and when to disregard the sutra. The clues leading up to understanding of the use of gunpowder and homing pigeons was fairly obvious - but, well strewn throughout the tale. The growth of the characters (sea rats accepting swordsman and vice versa) was nicely handled.

This book (2nd in the series) was much bett
Mar 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Wallie Smith has finally figured out why the Goddess stuffed his mind into the body of Shonsu, a beefcake of a swordsman: he is supposed to stop sorcerers from taking over the World. A combination of prophecy and miracle make it clear that he must accomplish this by sailing with a family of traders who detest him until his motley band figures out how cold steel can stop sorcerers capable of invisibility, shape-shifting, and summoning fire demons. As much mystery as adventure novel, book two ends ...more
Brian
Jan 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Series:
7/17/10 - 7/10
The Seventh Sword series starts off really well. The first two books are very readable, with interesting characters in an interesting world. It's actually better than the description makes it sound. It's a real page turner that keeps you guessing. Unfortunately, the third book was a big let down. I felt that the characters weren't at all true to themselves and the plotting didn't make sense in the context of the story. First 2 books were 9/10, last was 6/10 - series 7/10.
Hrishabh
A good book but does not match up the first one. The Shonsu in The Reluctant Swordsman was a smart yet unaware person who did not know how to deal with the world he was thrown in. The Shonsu here is more attuned to the new World and that is to be expected. But the reason I give it a star lower is because the reader reaches some conclusions much quicker than Shonsu. The characters are well developed and the story could have progressed in a slightly different manner and would been awesome. But the ...more
Kristy (Book Frivolity)
See the complete review posted on Book Frivolity. Check out other Fantasy and Historical Fiction ruminations there as well!

Hello Wallie my old friend, I've come to speak to you again! Not as great as the first one, the portal not so fresh in this installment, but still fun and quirky, occasionally very serious! I still love the books after all these years (about 15 of them!), and it fills me with happiness to explore them again!

Robert Runte
Oct 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: canadian-sf-f
Re-read this book Dec 2012 after 25 years, and it stood up very well indeed. If anything, I enjoyed it more this time around. Book 2 of the Seventh Sword series, you have to start with book 1 (the Reluctant Swordsman) for it to make much sense. But very nice set up of the mystery in book 1, misdirection through most of book 2, until it all falls together at end of book 2. (Book 3 resolves the action...also recommended.)
Kurtis Story
Jun 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
Was a good book - not great, along the same lines as the previous in the saga (The Reluctant Swordsman). There's not much to say - the book was decent and I really enjoyed it, but it wasn't outstanding literature. I likened this one less to the "Landover" series, as the main character doesn't interact a lot with his "past", and when he does he rehashes things that went on in the first book
Sean Randall
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An excellent continuation of the series and no mistake - as commented upon by others, the ending is a revelation.

Personally the religious Goddess-as-supreme pathos of the work does sometimes sort of make me stop and think "Hmm", the free will against destiny angle is interesting to contemplate.

Here's hoping for a conclusion with as much to offer.
Steve Markham
This i would suggest is the best of the three book of this trilogy.

A well told story with love, hope and destiny woven together to create a wonderful plot which thickens ready for the third book. (review written after reading entire series)

Do we trust the priests? Is Wally thinking on the right lines?
C.P. Sennett
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nothing short of a truly amazing set of books, fantastic play on the plot and great life like characters.

When this book was given to me I was unsure of it but I could not put it down. A fantastic set of books and something just a shade different for fantasy readers or writers to try.

Great plot and I enjoyed every minute of it. Oddly everyone I have given this set to has also loved it
David Shaffer
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This series is a great example of doing something new in fantasy Sci-Fi. We have tattoos today, but having them on your eyelids... to identify what station you have in life... that is cool. This series is easy to fall in love with. Swords, a touch of romance, and overthrowing the "man".
Eilis
Oct 20, 2015 added it
The story is becoming better and better, we are discovering more of the world of the Goddess! And the team is definitely building in that one, living a lot of adventures and finally discovering the secret of the Sorcerers.
Lauma Lapa
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
like potato chips, this is comfort food for the mind: beautiful people, unsolvable problems solved via deus ex machina, humour in the appropriate places, and adventures of sword-carrying almost-supermen.
Todd Hamblin
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
In this book we learn the nature of the quest. The book starts off with some intential abiguity. As a reader you are expected to be hooked by the mystery. I found these first few pages with Priestess Quili a little anoying. Then the story takes off and I enjoyed the book.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Jul 23, 2013 rated it liked it
A fun fantasy romp.
  • Der Thron der Libelle (Drachen-Zyklus, #2)
  • The Spell of the Black Dagger (Ethshar, #6)
  • The Fifth Book of Lost Swords: Coinspinner's Story (Lost Swords, #5)
  • The Horse Lord (Book of Years, # 1)
  • Dragonshadow (Winterlands, #2)
  • The Sword of Calandra (Winter King's War, #2)
  • King of the Dead (Lens of the World, #2)
  • When the Changewinds Blow (Changewinds, #1)
  • Sword-Maker (Tiger and Del, #3)
  • Kingdoms of Light
  • The Sorcerer's Lady (Sorcerer, #1)
  • The Dragon Knight (Dragon Knight, #2)

The Seventh Sword (4 books)
  • The Reluctant Swordsman (The Seventh Sword, #1)
  • The Destiny of the Sword (The Seventh Sword, #3)
  • The Death of Nnanji (The Seventh Sword, #4)

“Friends are harder to make than enemies, but they are more useful.” 8 likes
“se joignit à ses camarades masculins pour prendre un bain chaud et voluptueux qui détendit ses muscles, apaisa ses ampoules et transforma son épuisement douloureux en fatigue somnolente.” 0 likes