Start by marking “Exodus (Exodus, #1)” as Want to Read:
Exodus (Exodus, #1)

Exodus

(Exodus / Raging Earth #1)

Mara's island home is drowning as the ice caps melt and Earth loses its land to the ocean. But one night, in the ruined virtual world of the Weave, Mara meets the mysterious Fox, a fiery-eyed boy who tells her of sky cities that rise from the sea.

Mara sets sail on a daring journey to find a new life for herself and her friends - instead she discovers a love that threatens
Published June 1st 2003 by Pan MacMillan (first published March 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Exodus, please sign up.

Start your review of Exodus (Exodus, #1)
Mel (Epic Reading)
Exodus tells a unique, interesting and compelling story. However it is a story that should be told in 2-3 books ~200 pages each, instead of the 368 pages it is.

The Premise
We are taken to a time on Earth when the ice caps have melted and much of the Earth is under water. To a small community in what was once England/Stonehenge who are looking ground to the ocean every year. This portion of the story is very well developed and gives us a solid base for our main gal to develop her character and c
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: grades 6 and up
Recommended to Sarah by: 7/8 list
It’s the year 2100 and Earth is underwater due to global warming. Communication with all parts of the world has ceased to exist because…what other parts of the world are left? Mara and her friends and family live on Wing, an island that has managed to survive the massive rising waters—until now. The people on Wing assume that there are other people somewhere in the world living on islands like they are…but they have no idea where. Little do they know that Mara uses her antique cyberwizz (similar ...more
Alz

The themes in this book are very good, both the subtle and the upfront, particularly when they all come to a head in the end--themes about survival, ideals, the brutality of reality, and patriarchal societies. The worldbuilding is also interesting, detailed and thought-out enough to be plausible and acceptable, although some of the tech stuff that arose near the end went over my head--which maybe it was supposed to. Either way, it was well-written enough that it didn't bother me.

The tec
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
I liked the premise of the novel. But I was bored reading it, and I didn't like it as much as I thought I would.

I couldn't connect to any of the characters, and I felt like a lot of them were just there. Not only that, but we didn't get much info about the world that Mara lived in. I thought that was a little weird because Mara leaves her island, goes elsewhere, and doesn't really know anything about what's going on.

And considering she goes on a journey to a completely different place, you'd thi
Ricki
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I am not a science fiction reader, but I was hooked to this story. It took me about 70 pages to get really into the novel, but then I was hooked with the apocalyptic tale. It reminded me a bit of Dante's Inferno. I liked how it wasn't a fairy tale. Some characters, that I grew to love, died or disappeared. There was a strong connection to strong historical figures, like Martin Luther King. The book made me self-analyze if I could have the resolve and determination that Mara embodies.
I tossed be
Jamie
Sep 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia, 14-16
In a world in which the ice caps are melting fast, any piece of dry land is very precious land. The last city that anyone knows about is New Mungo, and there are refugee boats surrounding it, and no one is allowed in (well, occasionally people are "picked" to go in but no one is sure if this is a good thing or bad.

Mara leaves her drowning island and arrives here to discover she's part of a prophecy.

It does feel like, and is promised to be part of a trilogy, but the original was published in the
Jim
Feb 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: discussed in review
I am rounding this up to 4 stars. I would probably put it around 3.7 or 3.8 if I had the option.

I definitely enjoyed this book and would recommend it. It is a very good, involving story that gets better as it goes along. The writing is good, but I agree with other reviewers that the style is best for, say, grade 6 and up. At the lower end of that range, I would be concerned about some very scary scenes and bad things that happen, especially in the first half of the book. It is fine for adult rea
Andy
Oct 10, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wing is drowning. Mara Bell's home can no longer be her home. As they sacrifice their houses to rising sea levels, Mara and the elder Tain convince the people they must leave Wing and set out for New Mungo, a city in the sky.

This whole book irritated me. I didn't like the writing at all and the way every sentence was formed felt off. I also got a migraine while reading this, so that didn't help anything. The whole premise of this book was pretty damn depressing. While reading this book I either
TheBookSmugglers
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Full Review Link

Rod Serling’s Summary:

Picture a future, call it the year 2100. This girl you see here is Miss Mara Bell, and that rock she stands on is what she thinks is the last island in a sea-covered world. We’re about to discover that the sea won’t stop rising, and Miss Mara Bell is about to embark on the journey of a lifetime across an ocean of dreams, hopes and nightmares. She is about to skirt the edges of a strange new world, one that we call The Twilight Zone.

Review:

In the year 2100, M
Miss Pitsillis
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I read this book nearly ten years ago and have been meaning to re-read it since - it didn't disappoint.

Bertagna manages to create a futuristic world which is a scary projection of our future if we don't respond to the problem of climate change. The novel is a fast-paced dystopian tale of a girl called Mara who must try to find her family and friends safe groun when their little island is at risk of flooding. Think action, adventure, fantasy, family, friends, love, sci-fi and a cliff-hanger to f
Clair
Mar 26, 2018 added it
Review and rating to come when all book club members have finished reading.
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by JodiG. for TeensReadToo.com

What if everything you've heard about global warming is true -- and we haven't done enough to change the course of events?

Mara is a fifteen-year-old girl who lives on the island of Wing. The polar ice caps are melting, flooding most of the earth. What is left of Mara's primitive island is rapidly being claimed by the rising tide. Among the ruins of an abandoned cyberworld Mara meets another, someone who promises her that there is a safe haven in the New Wo
Aerin
Mara Bell is fifteen years old and the exact image of her grandmother Mary. She lives on Wing, an island in the northern part of an Earth nearly drowned by the melting of the polar ice caps. The waters are continuing to rise, and Mara must trust the instincts she inherited from the strong women in her family. She convinces her neighbors to flee the island for refuge in one of the sky cities, the tall feats of technology so high as to be safe from the storms and rising waters. When they reach the ...more
Corinne Edwards
Imagine our world if the ice caps really do thaw - what would it be like? What would we do to survive when we see the ocean creep up to the places we love? In Exodus, the cities and land that we know are now deep underwater and in the commencing chaos, Mara's ancestors settled on the tip of the island of Wing. As yearly storms rage and the water rises, her community realizes that soon there will be nothing left - and Mara has a crazy idea that might save them all.

What a plot! This post-apocalypt
Jessica Horne
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016_books
This book had an interesting plot idea but poor delivery. This could have been a good trilogy if written better. Hardly anything was explained, the romance made zero sense, the emotions were not rational, I did not feel any connection to the protagonist. The first half of the book is description without much explanation. There seems to be a turning point approaching when they find the sky city (after a general description of a journey nothing personal to the character) only to frustrate me as it ...more
Carolyn
This story started well and then kind of fizzled out. Too many different storyline directions, none of them resolved. If you're looking for a new Hunger Games, this will disappoint, but it might be an acceptable substitute for younger grades.
I had the sequels out, but I'm returning them to the library unread.
Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I've had this book on my TBR for quite a few years and I've finally got around to it. It makes an interesting apocalyptic book, and it is still relevant, but the book didn't fully draw me in.

Mara lives on the island of Wing, but her island has been slowly swallowed up by the sea over the last few decades. Hoping for a new home for her people, Mara sets off to find the sky cities, cities that were built when the ocean first
Elisabeth Marksteiner
Sep 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this. Downloaded after the Prime Minister’s visit to a school and this on the bookshelf, I was intrigued by the premise of a world post-melting of ice caps. Education is shown to be a fragile luxury of a time where we are not clamouring to survive.. and how quickly what was common becomes a myth.
I’ve loved good teenage fiction since I was a teenager. Now, I value a clearly communicated story just as much. A warning for our times.
BellaGBear
Sep 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
I remember being mad impressed with this book when I was a teenager!
Lauren B
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it
An interesting idea for a book. The ice caps are melting, sky cities are being built, but people aren't being let in
That's really the only good part I found in this book.
I kept reading, kept waiting for something interesting to happen, but I didn't get what I was waiting for. I got a bunch of things that didn't make sense.
The main character is rather peculiar. During the storms on her island, she shows absolutely no fear; the thunder and lightning and pouring rain has no effect on her. She just
SJH (A Dream of Books)
'Exodus' takes a giant leap into the future and is set in 2099 at a time when global warming has wreaked havoc on the planet and the melting of the polar icecaps has led to mass flooding and destruction. The story begins on the island of Wing which is in danger of being engulfed by the rising sea level. When the situation worsens the residents of the island have to set out to seek new land and a new life.

The story is told through the eyes of Mara who has never known a life beyond the one her and
Lauren James
A future dystopia about the sea levels rising and a village that is one of the only islands left in the UK slowly going underwater. The internet is a kind of 3D world that has been long since abandoned and the girl starts exploring its ruins, and finds a fox avatar that she makes friends with. Online dating of the coolest most adventurous kind.

This is one of those books which is totally under-appreciated. It’s one of my absolute favourites, and it’s insanely well thought-out and unique. But, mor
ambyr
There were flashes of this that I liked. Mara really worked for me as a character, and I loved the beginning, with its description of life on the slowly failing island and the determination of the villagers to cling to what they knew even when they also knew it had no future.

Unfortunate, most of the rest of the book left this mantra in my head: Technology doesn't work that way. Libraries don't work that way. People don't work that way. Exodus didn't so much suspend my disbelief as hang it from t
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: claire cannon
LIKES:
**the setting (think former orkney islands north of scotland) --one of my favorite places and cultures, but might be too stark and nordic for some readers' taste.
**the ending ... ooh, how twisty and unusual. not the stereotype "can't live without you, so who cares about the rest of the world."
**our heroine's strength, moral compass, and clear-sightedness

this is a bit more literary and genre-specific than the average YA dystopia, which limits the adoring audience a bit.

PG13 for severe clim
Suzanna
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good book. Truly a fantastic adventure of a girl in the future where the ice caps are melting and the world is sinking beneath the waves. Mara's world (her island of Wing) is disappearing and having been cut off, not knowing if there is more people out there, except one hope ; Fox a mysterious being Mara meets while searching the remains of the weave (cyberspace)for clues.

Fantastic story, really sucks the reader in. a great reading book for upper ks2. i feel that this is the kind of book
Carol Coutts
Mar 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
BookBairn
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
Wow! This was incredible! The sea has risen and is still rising and the consequences are dire for many (but not all). I loved the storytelling, the setting and the characters. I did find in places it was trying to race through a lot of plot (I guess that’s because it’s aimed at younger readers) and preferred the slower pace parts that had more depth of language and characterisation. Oddly I’m not sure if I will read the rest in this series but I definitely enjoyed this one greatly!
Lynn
May 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Well done distopian sf. When the ice caps melt and the oceans rise, what happens to humanity? There are some niggling problems with the world-building for me but I think teens will find this fascinating and scary.
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Great read.

Note to author/editor/to whom it may concern):
OMG, pls make sure you correct the following misprint: 'Mara pushes forward and wraps her anus around Gail'. God, it's hilarious! ARMS, not ANUS! ))))))))))))))))))
Sophie
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
It's about the world in 2100. The polar icecaps have all melted so almost all the world is under water. This book worries me about the future on this earth.

• Weird and Tragic Shores
  • The Case of Beasts: Explore the Film Wizardry of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • Angel Mage
  • Battle of Brothers: The Friendship and the Feuds of William & Harry
  • Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity
  • Horrid
  • The Prosecutor
  • Havenfall (Havenfall, #1)
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • Eight Will Fall
  • Empire of Illusion: The End of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle
  • Hotbox: Inside Catering, the Food World's Riskiest Business
  • The Drowned World
  • Fandemic (Bigtime, #5)
  • Bone Crier's Moon (Bone Grace, #1)
  • Frostheart (Frostheart #1)
  • Nightingale (Bigtime, #4)
  • The Barmy British Empire
Julie was born in Ayrshire and grew up near Glasgow, where she now lives with her family. After a degree in English Language and Literature, she was the editor of a small magazine, a teacher and a freelance journalist. Julie has written many critically-acclaimed, award-winning novels for teenagers and younger readers. She speaks in schools, libraries and at book festivals across the UK.

Exodus / Raging Earth (3 books)
  • Zenith (Exodus, #2)
  • Aurora (Exodus, #3)

News & Interviews

“You can betray someone with a word or an action. You can betray them with silence or inaction too. And in betraying that one person, you can betray a whole world.” 15 likes
“Keep going and never stop.” 7 likes