Start by marking “Blood Games” as Want to Read:
Blood Games

Blood Games

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  297 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
An account of the murder of wealthy North Carolinian Lieth von Stein describes how von Stein's stepson, a young man obsessed with Dungeons & Dragons, attacked his mother and stepfather in their beds while they slept.
Published April 7th 1992 by Onyx (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Games, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Games

In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleColumbine by Dave Cullen
Best True Crime
727 books — 1,086 voters
In Cold Blood by Truman CapoteHelter Skelter by Vincent BugliosiThe Stranger Beside Me by Ann RuleThe Devil in the White City by Erik LarsonThe Manson File by Nikolas Schreck
True Crime
514 books — 517 voters

More lists with this book...

The Romance Book Disciple (Samantha)
Link to full review below! This could have been good...sadly it turned into a family tree for all people even tangentially connected in any way to anyone who was at one point possibly related to this crime. So, maybe in total, about 1/4 of this book is good and worthwhile. The rest is a total waste of time...See full review on The Book Disciple
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first encountered this title working at a used bookstore. A customer came in looking for this book about nerdy college kids who play Dungeons and Dragons and form a bizarre plot to murder. I was intrigued and being that it’s a little dated, I had no trouble picking it up at the library. My favorite kind of murder mystery accounts are the ones that DON’T outright tell you who-killed-who, and that’s exactly how Bledsoe handled the case. I’m going to be honest though, it’s a long book (I had to r ...more
Patricia Miller
Some parts are good.

Most of this book is too drawn out-- what is written in 10 pages could be covered in 2. What happened to using proper grammar? I would like to read full sentences that don't all start with the words and or but!
Molly
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 people had a motive. One of them committed the murder. Color me surprised
No suspense at all
 Paul's  Reading Retreat
Feb 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read, if you like real life murder mysteries you will love this book.
Angie
Oct 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
This is the second and last book I will read by this author. He fills his books with unrelated facts that appear to only be there to help him meet his page requirement (I don't care about the history of the town where this occurred, I don't care about random background facts about people involved, why do I care that the parole officer was taught to shoot at 16?). Maybe this author just picks boring cases, but I had to force myself to finish it.
CiderandRedRot
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
An exhaustive account of a nasty little family crime perpetuated by a bunch of moronic fuckwits who the author spends a great deal of time trying to convince us are otherwise. There's a whole bunch of Dungeons and Dragons stuff thrown in which was apparently A Big Deal in the late 80's when the crime was committed, but which seems only tangentially related to the event now.
Natasha
Jul 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
True story, that's the creppiest thing about it. If you like thrillers, murder mysteries and/or dysfunctional families, this is a good book to read. I loved it but its very intense, so be warned. Also, I have never been able to look at people who play "Dungeons and Dragons" the same again.
Jan 04, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: truecrime
Pretty good account of same crime as in Joe McGuinness's Cruel Doubt, this time from one of the murderers' point of view. Very decent for the genre, although the hysterical tone about Dungeons and Dragons doesn't help matters.
Sarah Beth Breck
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
True Story...Jerry Bledsoe is a reporter from The Greensboro News and uses his reporting skills to get three sides of every story....
Laurie Stoll
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
A very well written book of a true crime story.
Dee brown
Jan 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Very wordy. It's a good story, however too many redundant things I skipped over 200 or so pages. It won't stop me from reading other books by this author.
Kitty
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I could hardly put it down, even though I knew the story. I love the attention to detail Mr. Bledsoe puts in all his books.
Katie Winkler
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you like true crime books, check out Jerry Bledsoe. I met him at a writer's conference, and he seems like a very nice guy too. Trained and worked as a journalist in Greensboro, NC.
Meredith
Aug 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Audio book. Good story but waaaaaay to long.
Theresa
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True murder

Another good true murder story by a great author. I still am amazed how people can just kill for such little reason.
Robbie
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another good one about family that just makes your jaw drop open (but also abouta Mom who loves her kid unconditionally and tries to forgive). Scary how some thing but another good read.
Lenny
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Real life story about three misfits and the disjointed way they grew up and went awry.
Darlene
Jun 28, 2015
Vikki Olsen
Aug 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • A Twisted Faith: A Minister's Obsession and the Murder That Destroyed a Church
  • Cruel Doubt
  • Die, My Love: a True Story of Revenge, Murder, and Two Texas Sisters
  • The Killing of the Unicorn: Dorothy Stratten, 1960-1980
  • In with the Devil: A Fallen Hero, a Serial Killer, and a Dangerous Bargain for Redemption
  • We, the Jury: Deciding the Scott Peterson Case
  • Salt of the Earth
  • Blind Eye: The Terrifying Story of a Doctor Who Got Away with Murder
  • Are You There Alone?: The Unspeakable Crime of Andrea Yates
  • Hush Little Babies: the true story of a mother who murdered her own children
  • Sleep In Heavenly Peace
  • From Cradle to Grave: The Short Lives and Strange Deaths of Marybeth Tinning's Nine Children
  • Murder in Little Egypt