Start by marking “Breakaway (Expeditionary Force Book 12)” as Want to Read:
Breakaway (Expeditionary Force Book 12)

Breakaway

(Expeditionary Force #12)

The Expeditionary Force saga continues with Breakaway, the eagerly awaited sequel to number-one Audible-ranked and New York Times best-selling Brushfire, from an epic sci-fi writer at the top of his game. Join the millions of listeners who have enjoyed R.C. Bray’s hilarious portrayal of Joe, Skippy, The Merry Band of Pirates and so many other unforgettable characters.

The M
Published June 1st 2021

To ask other readers questions about Breakaway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breakaway

Start your review of Breakaway (Expeditionary Force Book 12)
Dave Stone
Jun 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great balance as the story matures
This series is still very strong at a point where others would be running out of gas. Craig pulls this off by adding a few new key characters with alien points of view and walking a near perfect tightrope between the humor and the action. Never too much of one or the other. Yes, some of the Joe & Skippy banter can fell a little proforma and repetitive, but just a little. What helps is that there is less of it all at once. You get smaller helpings of skippy wit
Jen
I think I give these books 5 stars now just out of principle. They're all great with amazing characters - I'm really happy we got more Surjet Jates in this one. It's nice that Alanson is combining the Mavericks with the MBOP's.

But there's no real nail-biting action here. It's a lot more planning and strategizing. There's no amazing solution for getting out of a jam. Joe's flying around the galaxy seemingly accomplishing nothing. This book - while totally entertaining - has a bit of middle book
Doug
Jun 04, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series generally,

RC Bray probably has a lot to do with that,
but this one was a *yawn.*

ANYWAY...

It seems like Alanson was trying to wrap up most of the dozen books so far and hinting at a bigger threat going on in the future.

I love Skippy and all, but dragging this out even further rather than breaking in a new direction seems like a bad idea.

I know Alanson has tried to do so before, but it never worked, and trying to work in those elements that didn't work before in order to push this
George
Jun 10, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I can't stop! ...more
Mr. Karkazis
Jun 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Love where the series is going. Looking forward to the next one.
Dragan Gaić
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just keep it rolling :-)
Mike Crate
Jun 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The 12th novel in the Expeditionary Force series by Craig Alanson is titled "Breakaway" and humanity despite having galactic scale weapons of mass destruction have been easily maneuvered into a very bad position by the senior species of the galaxy, races that have had millenia to perfect their craft. The Maxolhx having engineered the approaching global ice age that is currently affecting the Earth and by extension vastly increasing the threat of humanity turning on itself are maybe a little too ...more
Marko
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Started off slowly, to the point where I wondered if it was going to be another one with the filler first act. Thankfully, it wasn't. This one moved the story far, far forward, and the end feels like the preparation of the galaxy for the final showdown. To be honest, it didn't "wow" me like, for example, Critical Mass, but it did have a very nice flow and all of the events belong there as they move the plot forward in a logical manner. I ran through the whole book in 3 days, even though I had a ...more
William S.
Love the ending

Alright, this is pure story. It's long. It's complicated. It's tense. It's exciting. We don't put up with much bureaucracy or political negotiations. It's our way or get out of the way. We're hear to negotiate surrender. Woops. Did you misunderstand I meant your surrender? We figure out how to steal a cash of Maxohlz weapons. Wonderful until the kitties decide the only way to deny us is to get rid of the weapons altogether meaning they can't use them either. So we figure out a dif
Lagarto
Jun 17, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the finest writing to date for this series. Why? BECAUSE THE STORY MOVES, BABY.

None of the plodding writing of the earlier volumes is present here. We're seeing things from multiple perspectives, but never lingering TOO long in any one plot line. That's the key to success, keep it moving. We see things from nearly every viewpoint, and it's characters, not action, that move the story. We see what is going to happen, but the focus is on how the characters interact and react to these situat
Hans van Gelder
Jun 11, 2021 rated it liked it
A sales service for the exForce books

It felt that most of the effort was for the ExForce team, which is another book , a spin off.

We got Joe and Skippy which is good news but the book had them running all around, and it felt like they were not really part of the story. And when they had a good line to ride, it ended as a summary. Really poor character progression or story telling. A bunch of context was included, which at points was boring.

However, ExForce did had a lot going on. Guess their sa
Bob Rose
Jun 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
I recall reading where Craig Alanson commented on the lack of a plot on the TV series Lost, then he laid out the 14 book series of Expeditionary Force on an Excel spreadsheet. He could of done the job with fewer books I suppose. The series lacks snob appeal as sci-fi goes, but it is entertaining.

Pros: RC Bray narrating action sequences. He's one of the best ever.

Cons: The Skippy/Joe Bishop relationship. Shouldn't the smartass 12-year old boys be smartass YAs by now?

Bottom line: I'm still here af
Shervin Asgari
This is more like a 2,5 star book. A lot of the story was much the same with entertaining Skippy and lots of ususl rants. Then the story finally progressed a little as ususl.

I think the series should have wrapped up by now. I can sort og see where the ending is taking now. It might be that the next one is the last. Or who knows?
We still dont know what happened to the Elders. So I guess the beef with the Maxohlx needs to end and then perhaps a whole book with the Elders. So maybe 2 or more books
Nancy
Jun 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved the book. SKIPPY! This is not hard sci-fi it’s fun sci-fi!!

If you’ve read the previous 11 books you’ll know what to expect.

Aliens have done something that will turn Earth into an ice cube. Joe, Skippy & the merry band of pirates need to save the world again.

More creative diplomacy & blowing things up!

UGH! Cliffhanger!

RC Bray - narration perfection! I found myself looking for things to do so I could listen! VERY quotable!

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Jenn
Jun 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love listening Craig Alanson books. He's an absolute genius. And RC Bray is a fabulous performer. This book was a little rough to start for me but the back and forth between species is necessary. (Only reason i rated it a 4 star instead of 5). Of course, like the previous books, this story is funny and Skippy the Magnificent is AWESOME!!! If you haven't started this audio book series I highly recommend you start. Can't wait until December for the next book. ...more
André Lange
Jun 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just finished the book, and i LOVED IT! the last one was a bit of a bummer for me, but we are finally back in the groove!
No more scared Joe, now theres Angry Joe!
Its awesome, and I can finally see it moving forward, to even more and exciting plots.
I read it in less than two days, since i just couldn't put it down!
Definitely recommended.
full review on my blog mychimpingsource.com!
Buckey Turk
Jun 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic follow on

Great book, rationed myself so I could enjoy it over 6 days instead of one. One wish, give the reader a hierarchal outline of the major species at the beginnings each book. ALSO this is request to write a book from the beetles point of view, I think it would be a riot!
Danny Cannon
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding!

Great book. Great story. I was hooked from the first chapter, again.
If you have not read the previous books, run along and do so now...,we have another book coming. Yes. This has a cliff hanger at the end. That just means more awesomeness is yet to come.

Alanson does not disappoint his fans with this one.
Warren W.
Jun 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Dadgummit! I finished it already! What a ride!

I so looked forward to this book, and now it’s over. What an exciting adventure! But it was worth the wait. Skippy is his usual brilliant self. And everyone else rides on his coat tails. But that’s the way it is.

Now. When is the next one coming out?
Sonny Woods
Jun 10, 2021 rated it liked it
It seems like the power scaling is starting to get a bit off. Humans seemed undefeatable and always had the answer to every issue. Also, not a lot is happening to move the story along. The story seems to be humans think of some attack, find out they can't just do it, sleep on it for a bit, look at something that sparks an idea, and have a perfect plan that always works. ...more
John F. Wells Jr.
I hate spiders.

Well book 12 is in the bag and now I can breath. What the hell!! Can humanity not catch a break! Again outstanding read with great characters and want to cheer them on and let monkeys kick some butt. Greatest series I have read in years, if you don't read this, you will never experience the awesomeness!!
Nick Ertz
Well, there is always something going on. It is still fun to hear Skippy and Joe banter about. Now they must save the world again by beating down the bad kitties. The book is too long by 50%, there are sections that kill time but don't move the story or the characters along. The only redeeming thing is that the characters are fun to be around. ...more
John Fowler
Jun 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Craig You Did It Again!

I found this series by accident, but thank goodness for Unattended Consequences, By far this one of the best space operas! 12 books in he still keeps you wanting more. Cant wait till the next installment, do your self some justice get the Audio Books too!
ian noble
Jun 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Gripping beginning to end then leaves you wanting more

One of the best in the series leaving many options for future adventures. Will the rotten kitties get what they deserve. Will earth get a break. The book has many twists and turns. All great, could not put it down.
Chuck Woodbury
Jun 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Entertaining

As usual. Though found myself skipping some of longer digressions into inane conversations. But that’s just joe being joe and skippy being skippy. Like the story progression though. Thing may just be headed toward a happy resolution. Someday!
Eduardo Quesada
Jun 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding! Joe would say. It is a great continuos universe. I can't wait until next deliver. Expeditionary Force, one of the best sagas I have ever been involved with.
Again, I recommend it completely.
Cole Linke
Jun 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I felt that it was nice to see the crew kicking ass. The stakes didn’t feel as high as previous books, but that was mostly because this book set up the final arc of Joe and the merry band of pirates. I how we get a series set in this universe after the dust has settled and the current characters we know and love finish their arcs.
Vytas Žalys
Jun 15, 2021 rated it liked it
Ahh another filler book. Nothing major really happens, a lot regurgitated material, just felt like a build up to hopefully something better in the next instalment. Slightly disappointed. Would really prefer quality over quantity.
Craig A. Powers
Jun 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly good ride

Another great adventure with Skippy and company. The storyline doesn't get old and its not formulaic, all setup for the next one which can't come fast enough for me. Gonna miss the awesomeness waiting for the next ride.
Trax Armstrong
Jun 16, 2021 rated it liked it
I have noticed time & time again that whenever you mix religious beliefs with a world happening 200 years from now (or in the far future), it doesn't always come out well.

Reading Book 12 of this series, I wasn't sure if I'm reading a religious tome or a futuristic event that should be devoid of such superstitions.

Even the attempt to humanize the archdemons kinda failed.

Hope the one will be better.
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: New book page number 3 7 Jun 20, 2021 08:39AM
If you want to stay up to date on releases, receive promotion alerts and speak to me directly, please join my Facebook Page:

My Bio:
Craig Alanson used to create financial reports for a large IT services company. Writing fiction at nights and on weekends, he finally independently published three novels on Amazon. Within 6 months of his first ebook release, he

Expeditionary Force (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Columbus Day (Expeditionary Force #1)
  • SpecOps (Expeditionary Force, #2)
  • Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3)
  • Trouble on Paradise (Expeditionary Force, #3.5)
  • Black Ops (Expeditionary Force, #4)
  • Zero Hour (Expeditionary Force, #5)
  • Mavericks (Expeditionary Force, #6)
  • Renegades (Expeditionary Force, #7)
  • Homefront (Expeditionary Force, #7.5)
  • Armageddon (Expeditionary Force Book 8)

News & Interviews