Start by marking “Heroes Among Us: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Choices” as Want to Read:
Heroes Among Us: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Choices

Heroes Among Us: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Choices

Heroes Among Us reminds us all of the courage and dignity it takes to stand up for oneself and those around us. By chronicling such bravery, John Quiñones captures America's can-do spirit and shows that through the slightest good deed, each one of us harbors a hero within.

Texas native and veteran ABC journalist John Quiñones has traveled the world and the country reporting
Published January 6th 2009 by Harper (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Heroes Among Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heroes Among Us

Start your review of Heroes Among Us: Ordinary People, Extraordinary Choices
Rebecca McNutt
This book actually came off as rather depressing. There is so much injustice in this world. But television host of What Would You Do?, John Quiñones, captures the little things that ordinary Americans do to make a difference. Excellent book and definitely one that everyone should read.
Sara
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
I was expecting a book full heartwarming accounts to lift my spirits. That wasn't exactly what I got. I appreciate Quinones's definition of a hero: Anyone who serves others in the face of social pressure and/or physical danger. I also like the quotable quotes he's inserted from famous people. However, there are not very many tales of heroism large enough to balance the huge, gaping horrors recounted here. We could and should focus on the few that are saved, and those who battle valiantly against ...more
Stacy Z
Jan 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Not as well-written as I hoped from a journalist (it seems like it was dumbed down for a general audience and some of the terms Quinones used are outdated) but I did ugly-cry in the bath at his retellings of one hero's good deeds.
Felicia
Sep 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
I really liked the idea of this book and was super excited to read it because I love the show John Quinones has on TV called -what would you do-
Unfortunately most of the stories in this book I found hard to relate to and therefor not as exciting or inspiring as I hoped. A lot of the stories were about Hispanic families living in very poor areas who felt that every white person with money hated them and would "chase them out of the rich neighborhoods unless they were pushing a lawnmower" (that's
Jenn
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: listened-to
I loved his show "What would you do" and thought I would get a little choked up when hearing these stories, but since they are such small snippets it's hard to get a real sense for the people he is talking about. Just so so...
Erica T
Jul 03, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a good collection of stories about ordinary people doing extraordinary things. Quinones defines heroes and then proceeds to give multiple examples. The stories come from many countries, in major well known events and unheard of situations, rich people and poor people. There are little quizzes at the end of each chapter giving examples of real-world situations and options on how you might respond.

I'm rating this a little lower because it felt like there was a bit of an agenda behind
Loralee
Feb 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Lots of good stories about ordinary people who accomplished incredible things: saved a neighbor from a burning building, drove to the World Trade Center on 9-11 to see how to help, fought to preserve South American rainforests, and many more. The author is so excited about all of these incredible people that he also spends a lot of time pointing out how amazing they are, and how all of us have the power to make extraordinary choices--all true, but it kind of slows the book down, especially as an ...more
Terryann
Mar 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Quinones artfully and clearly illustrates that heroes come from all walks of life in all parts of the world. Most heroes are of the unlikely sort. From little heroes like a 7 year old boy who watched over 4 younger children for thousands of miles during Hurricane Katrina to big heroes like the millionaire who walks in the sewers of Columbia to help save the lives of homeless children. Arthur Morey’s calm baritone brings each story to life melodiously. Interspersed between hero stories are ...more
Xenia Lal
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of extraordinary stories of courage by everyday people. The best thing I liked about the stories Mr. Quinones tells his readers is that his stories are about people from across the demographic board; his stories are about children, young people, old people, people from different racial backgrounds who live in the US, people from all over the world.....I was impressed with so many of the stories especially the ones that took place in the US when they occurred during some of the most poignant ...more
Cindy
Jun 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography, 2009
ABC news reporter John Quinones profiles several people who are making a difference. From those who rescue people out of burning buildings or floodwaters, to a woman who saved Jewish children during WWII, to a man working to help homeless abandoned children in South America, there are so many stories of people who are heroes.

I liked the 'What Would You Do?' section, with occasions that might call for a little heroism. But my favorite parts were about Quinones himself - his time spent as a
Amy
Aug 27, 2015 rated it liked it
If you like the show 'What Would You Do?', that John Quinones hosts, then you will probably enjoy this book. It's a rather eclectic assortment of stories of people he met in his travels who inspired him by their choices to make even a small part of the world a better place. It's light, simple, and flows pretty quickly.
Some graphic descriptions of violent matter, adult themes of drugs, prostitution, etc., I don't remember seeing any profanity.
Melissa Miller
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this because I've been thinking about heroes and role models for children recently (in light of Lance Armstrong, Blade Runner, etc.). I liked that these people are ordinary people doing extraordinary things - I think that I want to teach my children to admire outstanding skill but to look for more in terms of role models. If you want to read about people who don't make the news but are remarkable, this is a good place to start.
Eileen
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
So many wonderful stories of ordinary people making a difference. There were stories about big tragedies and little heroic moments, stories from America and all around the world. Reading about these heroes makes me want to be heroic and opened my eyes to the many ways I can help others. A great encouragement to anyone who is tired of only seeing and hearing about the bad things happening today.
Nancy
Aug 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listening-to
John Quinones travels the world looking for the extraordinary in people. Each chapter captures a hero doing ordinary things. Many of the stories would make great additions to talks or lessons. Sadly, it came from the library so I'd have to buy the book to get the full advantage of using his stories in ways to make us all feel better about being human.
Erika
Nov 26, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While I loved the idea for the book, I just didn't think it was well written. I cry at the drop off a hat for a well told story about heroes. This book did not even bring me near tears. The quizzes at the end of the chapters were quite juvenile too. I forced myself to finish it only out of respect for the heroes about which the book was written, not because I liked the stories.
Nancy
May 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting compilation of people John has encountered throughout his life. A little sappy, but interesting. Set up to be a guide book for people who want to step up and be a hero.
Jean
Oct 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the best written book but the message is a good one. I would give the writing not more than a 3.
Javier
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
I had a lot of stories of heroism from ordinary, normal people. Many of the stories are heart wrenching.
Janet Shelton
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it
A fast, feel good read, but tends to be a little preachy at times.
Jill
Jan 02, 2009 marked it as to-read
I like heroes.
Danni
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes I get really sad about all the bad things that are going on in the world, but this book proves that you don't have to do much to make a difference in someones life. I loved it.
Keith

• The Complete Stories
  • The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth
  • The Robber Bridegroom
  • Letter to a Suffering Church: A Bishop Speaks on the Sexual Abuse Crisis
  • Screwed: The Undeclared War Against the Middle Class - And What We Can Do about It
  • Crossing the Threshold of Hope
  • Hand in Glove
  • The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance, #1)
  • Founding Mothers
  • Where You Go Is Not Who You'll Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania
  • In This House of Brede
  • I Believe in Love: A Personal Retreat Based on the Teaching of St. Therese of Lisieux
Full name, John Manuel Quiñones;

*Bachelor of Arts degree in speech communications from St. Mary's University, San Antonio, Texas.
*Master's degree from the Columbia School of Journalism.

*co-anchor, Primetime