Start by marking “Master of Earth and Water (The Chronicle of Fionn mac Cumhal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Master of Earth and Water (The Chronicle of Fionn mac Cumhal, #1)

Master of Earth and Water (The Chronicle of Fionn mac Cumhal)

This first chronicle of Fionn mac Cumhall tells the story of Ireland's greatest hero, left alone at a tender age to seek his true identity in lands perilous and strange, unaware of mysterious parentage & remarkable destiny.
Published June 1st 1994 by Avon Books (first published 1993)

Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/826664.html[return][return]This is a fairly fat novel, dealing entirely with the boyhood deeds of Finn MacCool and concluding with the only incident I can remember from the original legend (the cooking of the Salmon of Wisdom). It is a good effort, a Bildungsroman about a character with superhuman powers, and with unusual care taken to avoid anachronism - no Christian-era personal names, no potatoes, not too much wishful thinking about how perfect and emancipated pagan ...more
James
Dec 18, 2014 James rated it really liked it
I bought this when I was in elementary school. I was easily distracted and forgot all about this book. I found it a recently (almost 20 years later) and I loved it. Great story telling and a nice blend of otherworld culture and understandable language. This book is the beginnings of the Hero Fionna Mac Cumhal. Long before he realizes his true potential but still a champion even at a young age. I recommend giving this a try even if you aren't a die hard fantasy reader.
James
Jan 28, 2011 James rated it really liked it
This is a great trilogy by one of my favorite authors. A mystical story based on Irish mythology follows the life of a mortal born boy who is destined to be the bridge between the worlds of men and spirits. His life's quest is to keep peace between the clans of men while keeping the gods of the spirit side from destroying the world of men.

Seth still has all 3 or these books that I let him borrow back in 2001. You done reading them yet, Seth?
Victoria
Jan 24, 2012 Victoria rated it really liked it
Prequel to the story of Eire's hero Finn mac Cool. Well written, realistic emotions. Lovely to have magic in tales of the distant past. Perhaps we read these because we miss the feeling of magic in our everyday, technological lives.

Darn, just discovered it's one of a series that I'm sure not to read. *sigh*
Jcwblackstone
Nov 23, 2008 Jcwblackstone rated it liked it
Its a fantasy set in dark ages Ireland, its very interesting, more so with the references to names and locations than the story itself.
Etna Webb
Aug 19, 2013 Etna Webb rated it it was amazing
You do not get bored, it keeps you on your toes.
Mariah
May 09, 2009 Mariah marked it as to-read
Diana Paxson's retelling of Fionn MacCumhal's saga
Chris
Dec 14, 2008 Chris rated it liked it
The whole series is a re-telling of Irish Legend. If you have read her series based on the Ring cycle, you should check this out as well.
Bill Tillman
A very good novel, perhaps a tad to graphic on intimate relationships for my taste but otherwise an excellent tale.
Liza Bach
Liza Bach rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2011
Deedee
Deedee rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2009
Author L. C. Bellami
Author L. C. Bellami rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Mary Loebig Giles
Mary Loebig Giles rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2011
Benjamin Greuter
Benjamin Greuter rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2009
Jin
Jin rated it liked it
Apr 14, 2008
Ali
Ali rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2017
Jonathon
Jonathon rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2011
Sumner
Sumner rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2016
Jimmy
Jimmy rated it it was ok
Jan 26, 2012
Jacqueline
Jacqueline rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2014
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2015
Stephanie Leong
Stephanie Leong rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2009
James Spadaccini
James Spadaccini rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2013
Kean
Kean rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Robert
Robert rated it it was ok
May 02, 2012
Arian
Arian rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2014
Jennybeast
Jennybeast rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2007
Jesse Barrett
Jesse Barrett rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2011
Scott
Scott rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2012
Shan Duncan
Shan Duncan rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Circle of Stones (Circle, #1)
  • Darkin: A Journey East
  • Celtic Run (Jake McGreevy)
  • Warrior Poet: Before David Was King
  • My Merlin Series (The Complete Trilogy)
  • The WishKeeper (The Paragonia Chronicles, #1)
  • Behold the Dawn
  • Merlin
  • The Druid Animal Oracle
  • Guardian's Rise (The Sons of Masguard, #2)
  • King Arthur and the Goddess of the Land: The Divine Feminine in the Mabinogion
  • White Ravens
  • All I Want
  • Unsinkable Vampire: A Begotten Bloods Novella
  • The Griffin's Boy (The Griffin Riders' Chronicles, #1)
  • Everwinter (The Wrath of the Northmen, #1)
  • Marathon
  • Waves of Regret
Diana L. Paxson (born 1943) is a novelist and author of nonfiction, primarily in the fields of Paganism and Heathenism. Her published works include fantasy and historical fiction novels, as well as numerous short stories. More recently she has also published nonfiction books about Pagan and Heathen religions and practices.

In addition to her multiple novels and collaborations, she has written over
More about Diana L. Paxson...

The Chronicle of Fionn mac Cumhal (3 books)
  • The Shield Between the Worlds  (The Chronicle of Fionn mac Cumhal, #2)
  • Sword of Fire and Shadow (The Chronicle of Fionn mac Cumhal, #3)

“Dreams have the power to make real what the heart desires.” 4 likes