Start by marking “Fight Club” as Want to Read:
Fight Club

Fight Club

(Fight Club #1)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  547,413 ratings  ·  17,724 reviews
It follows the experiences of an unnamed protagonist struggling with insomnia. Inspired by his doctor's exasperated remark that insomnia is not suffering, the protagonist finds relief by impersonating a seriously ill person in several support groups. Then he meets a mysterious man named Tyler Durden and establishes an underground fighting club as radical psychotherapy. ...more
Published October 17th 2005 by W.W. Norton & Company (NYC) (first published August 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Fight Club, please sign up.
David Lerner No, no, no. It's not about the words, it's about the sentences they form.
No, no, no. It's not about the words, it's about the sentences they form.
This is absolutely the last book I would have anybody below eighteen read/listen to.
(less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Cam Schitter I watched the movie when it came out on DVD and loved it. I haven't watched any movie more times than I've watched fight club. When I found out it was…moreI watched the movie when it came out on DVD and loved it. I haven't watched any movie more times than I've watched fight club. When I found out it was a book, years after I'd seen the movie the first time, I debated reading the book simply because how can you read a book with that kind of ending, KNOWING how it ended. I finally read Fight Club almost a Decade after i saw the movie the first time and I LOVED it. I have read fight club at least once a year for the last 4. The ending in the book is a little less than the movie but, I personally felt the ending to the book was much more believable, though still not very.(less)

·  547,413 ratings  ·  17,724 reviews

Start your review of Fight Club
jessica
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
the first rule of reading fight club is: you do not talk about reading fight club.

which is a good thing because i honestly have no idea what i read.
man, this book is W I L D.
ruzmarì
Mary Ann Evans, in the 1850s, spoke out against the notion that "lady novelists" were capable of producing only "silly novels" - precious, sentimental, illogical and improbable claptrap - while men produced high literature. She changed her name to George Eliot and wrote as a "gender neutral" narrator, highly educated and worldly, and mostly transparent (i.e., not silly).

The 1990s finds us again at a crossroads where literature is concerned, with the rise of Oprah's book club and the whole genre
anarki
Aug 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
You do not talk about Fight Club, but...

Upon winning the Oregon Book Award for best novel and the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association Award, Chuck Palahniuk’s visionary debut novel, Fight Club, was shot to the veins of mainstream fiction. Following the success of its 1999 film adaptation directed by David Fincher, Fight Club gained cult classic status and has become a disturbingly accurate interpretation of our modern world.

The unnamed male narrator, suffering from a long streak of insomni
Ahmad Sharabiani
Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk

Fight Club is a 1996 novel by Chuck Palahniuk.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز بیست و ششم ماه می سال 2011 میلا
Sean Barrs
“You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We're all part of the same compost heap. We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world.”

Fight Club is absolutely tragic in its reflection of the real world. I get angry when I read it and annoyed at a world that could cause such a situation. This may be fiction, but it’s full of truth.

The modern world is unfulfilling and depressing. People spend their lives work
Lyn
Jun 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I believe in love at first sight, and I’m talking about books.

A few pages into The Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin and I knew that this was the book I had been looking for my whole life. The same for Robert A. Heinlein’s brilliant The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress. These books are speaking to me, the author and I are sharing a conversation and I am hearing what I want to hear but the writer, through the osmosis of shared visions, is saying for me what I want to say. I had nebulous thoughts and that
Bill Kerwin
Apr 04, 2008 rated it liked it

I wondered whether this book would seem self-absorbed and shallow in our post-9/11 world, but instead I found it prophetic. Throughout the materialism and political correctness of the 1990's and Tyler Durden's response to it, you can sense how all that repressed mama's boy machismo is just hoping and praying for something big and fiery and nasty that would blow our little precious world apart. Well, with 9/11 and the Iraq war, we sure got it. So . . . are all you boys satisfied now?

Sure, this b
Jun 05, 2008 rated it did not like it
Dear Chuck,

I have tried to like you. Really, I honestly have. I tried to read Rant, I tried to read Choke and then I attempted this book. Rare is the moment where I realize I enjoyed the movie much MUCH more then then the novel it is based on. I simply do not like your style of writing, and I have been ridiculed by fanboys who will defend your honor to the grave. Your style comes off as unique, but I can feel the pretentiousness like a piece of meat stuck in between my teeth. You know full well
Jen
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: grit-lit
This is satirical, cynical, Darkly intense. A mind f**k.

What person in their right mind goes to support groups for cancer patients in order to get perspective on their own life and cure their insomnia? That's what kind of story this is. This is how it begins. An Obsession with death.

Then the fight club is born. Blue collar to white collar. There are 6 rules in the fight club. First rule: you don't talk about the fight club. Second rule: you don't talk about the fight club. Third rule: two men p
Kira
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, americana
I read this book as a self-absorbed 18-year old and never looked back. Brilliant modern critique of western consumerism and masculinity, told through the story of an underground club of men who beat the hell out of each other as a way of working through their disillusionments.

Each sentence of each chapter is quotable, things like :
'You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.'
and
'We don't ha
Lou
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Photobucket
1st rule about Fight Club is read the novel first! Well thats my rule, i watched the movie, when it came out years ago (most the population) and only now discovered the real Fight club.
The narrator is a traveling automobile company employee who suffers from insomnia. On advice from his doctor attends support groups and pretends to be a victim. He gains some emotional release here and feels part of a people and becomes addicted to attending these support groups as an imposter. He's not the on
Leonard Gaya
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fight Club is Chuck Palahniuk’s first prominent literary success. He wrote this novella in the mid-1990s, as the United States had become an unrivalled superpower. In a way, the future looked bright for the American white male. Nevertheless, what Palahniuk expresses here is a deep disgust and struggle, intense angst, a rumbling rage against a society that can only offer endless consumerism, a sluggish form of happiness, around-the-clock slavery to an unsatisfying job that ends up getting you to ...more
Chris
Jan 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Well, now I reckon y'all have seen the movie, so there's probably not a whole lot that you need to know about this book.

You know Tyler Durden.

He's the Id, the unchained spirit that wants what he wants and he wants it now. He's the voice in your head that tells you that everything is worthless, that chaos, death and the end of civilization would be better than anything our so-called "society" could ever create. He's the one standing over your left shoulder, whispering "Burn it all down. It'll be
Nataliya Yaneva
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-english
Bulgarian review below/Ревюто на български е по-долу
Since I began marching in step with the people who (try to) earn their daily bread (and fruits and vegetables too), I take the subject of the forsaken rank-and-file employee in a crappy office to heart and it’s a sticky subject to me. Is there anyone who haven’t made the discovery that nothing makes you go off your wits as surely as a job that suffocates you? We all dwell in the miniature boxes of our lives and offices so we can successfull
Elle (ellexamines)
I did not dislike this book because I did not understand this book. I disliked this book because I have fundamental ideological disagreements with this book.

I'm sure we all know this quote:
You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying, organic matter as everyone else, and we are all part of the same compost pile.

...I think this is just a really dumb way of looking at the world. The complaints about consumerism are one thing, even though they all sound like t
Baba
Mar 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
The insomniac (and slightly unhinged?) narrator meets Marla in Support Groups (plural), and he meets Tyler Durden by way of a fight in a car park; his world remains forever changed when Tyler brings him into the urban underbelly that is the Fight Club, and he drags Marla into this sub-world too. He loves Marla, Marla loves Tyler, Tyler loves him, but most of all... Tyler loves Fight Club and the changes to the status quo it can bring.

A classic debut novel by agent provocateur Chuck Palahniuk. Su
Phrynne
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Well I never saw the movie because I have zero interest in watching people hit people. And I never thought I would read the book, but I needed to read this author for a challenge and decided to make it his most famous book. Justifiably famous because it was really good!

The writing is excellent and action packed. There are no spare words or wasted pages, just a very cleverly spun tale about some very mixed up people. Not having seen the movie I was also unprepared for the magnificent twist althou
Perry
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
7/6/19--Nearly 3 years on, I still pose the politi-cultural question:
Did this 1996 novel presage the election, two decades on, of a populist POTUS who could stir like a hornet's nest the white, middle class, male Gen X'ers--such as Fight Clubbers--out of their malaise to smack those they see as effete elitists and paternalistic bureaucrats?
Now, my original review:
Gen X Gladiators' Hunt for Identity and Meaning (12-Stepping Middle Class WM Melancholia?)

Violence is the quest for ide
Michael Finocchiaro
The book that inspired the iconic Brad Pitt/Edward Norton film from 1999 is a wild ride every bit as gritty and crazy as the movie. I think the reveal comes a bit early in the book and that the movie actually did a better job of covering up the real identity of Tyler Durden. However, if you want to get down in all that liposuctioned fat and squirm around, this is the book for you. I thought the writing was OK, it did not inspire me to read any other Palahniuk books. Perhaps in the comments, folk ...more
Lazaros
Mar 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.”

Can somebody slap me in the face? I've had this on my tbr list since I first set up a goodreads account and I read it now after almost 3 years. Why didn't anyone make me read this? It was freakish-ly amazing. I am at a loss for words..

I don't know how to talk about the book without giving away spoilers and breaking the first rule of Fight Club: "You do not talk about Fight Club.".. I can only say that the narrator is a tr
Shovelmonkey1
Hello Chuck,
It's me again.
Remember, I wrote to you about Choke? It wasn't long ago.
So I just read Fight Club.
Uh huh I know I was slow off the mark.
This book came out in 1997.
What have I been doing with my time?
Well this book came out when I was sixteen and at that time, I have to admit Chuck, I was mostly trying to disappear up my own ass by reading things like Milan Kundera's The Unbearable Lightness of Being and On the Road by Kerouac.
It's not easy to get angsty when you're...well... a bit
Kayla Dawn
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
I think it's more a 3,5*

I don't know what I expected but it sure wasn't what I got! (Yeah shame on me, I actually did not see the movie up until a day after finishing this book)

Tbh the big plot twist towards the end of the book wasn't that big of a twist to me. It was actually pretty obvious. But to be fair, I think back in the day when this was published, it probably was something new and shocking. Nowadays this is used so often as a plot that it just didn't surprise me anymore.

But besides th
Madeline
Jun 05, 2007 rated it liked it
Pretty graphic, but very well-written. Also, thanks to this book, I now know how to make a bomb out of orange juice and window cleaner. I also know that men are completely insane.
Dave Schaafsma
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“I want you to do me a favor. I want you to hit me as hard as you can.”

I never had a particular urge to read Fight Club when it came out. As with things like the film Natural Born Killers, I thought I knew from the hype what it was about, and thought I knew it was an allegory about violence and American culture. I’ve lived and worked in Detroit, New York and Chicago. Violence is part of the places I have lived in. But I have in the past year been reading a lot of noir, and I had an audio version
F
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: usa, 2015, seen-movie
total mind fuck.
Rahul Matthew
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Never judge a book by its shitty cover, just finish and then judge it.

Will give an updated review of how being a Gemini(have split personalities), makes this book so relatable.

Gemini all have a split personality.People might say that then all of them should end up in a mental institution.It is very much part of our lives and the only way is to embrace it.So what are the crazy extremes that a Gemini can be:
Donald Trump(His evil twin controls him) and then we have Bob Dylan(Embracing the creativit
Karina
Aug 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
I wanna start it all over right now.
Nilufer Ozmekik
Nov 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
On my flashback weekend reading time I’m looking for something edgier, harsher, more extreme! And here’s my choice which ticks all my dark and sarcastic reading boxes!

When Fight Club has been published in 1996, I was young, dumb, naive girl who still tries to improve her book taste besides her wardrobe choice after leaving teenage years behind.

This book was definition of mindblowing anarchism. It’s bleak, it’s wild, it’s graphic, it’s earth shattering, it’s surprising, a pure criticism of Gen
Sara
Dec 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I adore the way Palahniuk writes, it's like having someone back you into a corner and not knowing if they want to hit you or fuck you...the tension is immeasurable. His language speaks to the gut, the primal drives that undulate in all of us just beneath the surface of our civility. THIS is the authors magic, the ability to make us feel so much with stripped down and raw language. The words roll around in the head and make us THINK about our role in the modern consumer society: Who am I? What do ...more
Ryan Holiday
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is poetry. I can't add much more than what has already been said, in terms of message or analysis. What I do know, however, is that this is one of the most important books of our generation. One day, it will be taught in high school English classes, going Scarlet Letter, Huckleberry Finn, Gatsby, Catcher in the Rye, Fahrenheit 451, and then Fight Club. I'm not sure if there is a higher compliment that can be given. The significance of the book's message should not be dismissed.

And even
Guardian Newspape...: Fight Club - May 2021 7 19 Jun 11, 2021 01:55PM
Thoroughly Confused 1 22 Jun 01, 2021 06:09PM
Play Book Tag: Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk - 1 star 13 22 May 27, 2021 10:16AM
Chuck Palahniuk's model of three characters (the bystander,...) 3 34 Sep 18, 2020 08:46AM

• American Psycho
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • Trainspotting (Mark Renton, #2)
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • The Catcher in the Rye
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Factotum
See top shelves…
Written in stolen moments under truck chassis and on park benches to a soundtrack of The Downward Spiral and Pablo Honey, Fight Club came into existence. The adaptation of Fight Club was a flop at the box office, but achieved cult status on DVD. The film’s popularity drove sales of the novel. Chuck put out two novels in 1999, Survivor and Invisible Monsters. Choke, published in 2001, became Chuck’ ...more

Fight Club (3 books)
  • Fight Club 2
  • Fight Club 3

Articles featuring this book

“It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.” 9255 likes
“I don't want to die without any scars.” 5914 likes