Jump to ratings and reviews

The Checklist

In an energetic debut novel about personal and professional chaos, author Addie Woolridge introduces a multicultural cast whose exploits are redefining the modern rom-com.

Killing it at work? Check. Gorgeous boyfriend? Check. Ambitions derailed by an insecure boss? Sigh—check.

Things were going a little too well for Dylan Delacroix. After upstaging her boss on a big account, she gets dispatched to the last place she wants to be: her hometown, Seattle. There, she must use her superstar corporate-consulting skills to curb the worst impulses of an impossibly eccentric tech CEO—if she doesn’t, she’s fired.

The fun doesn’t stop there: Dylan must also negotiate a ceasefire in the endless war between her bohemian parents and the straitlaced neighbors. Adding to the chaos is a wilting relationship with her boyfriend and a blossoming attraction to the neighbors’ smoking-hot son.

Suddenly Dylan has a million checklists, each a mile long. As personal and professional pressures mount, she finds it harder and harder to stay on track. Having always relied on her ability to manage the world around her, Dylan’s going to need a new plan. She may be down, but she’s definitely not out.

347 pages, Kindle Edition

First published June 1, 2021

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Addie Woolridge

5 books107 followers
Born and raised outside Seattle, Washington, Addie Woolridge is a classically trained opera singer with a degree in music from the University of Southern California, and she holds a master's degree in public administration from Indiana University. Woolridge's well-developed characters are a result of her love for diverse people, cultures, and experiences.

Woolridge currently lives in Northern California. When she isn't writing or singing, Woolridge can be found baking; training for her sixth race in the Seven Continents Marathon Challenge; or taking advantage of the region's signature beverage, wine.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
403 (8%)
1 star
101 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 394 reviews
Profile Image for Christy.
3,709 reviews31.6k followers
June 3, 2021

I wanted to love this book, but I struggled with it so much. I'll be honest, I'm not sure I even liked it. First off, it was advertised as a rom-com. One of my biggest pet peeves is looking forward to a romance and finding out that the book has almost zero romance. This is definitely women's fiction/chick-lit. If that's what you're looking for, you may find much more enjoyment than I did. The writing wasn't bad, but the characters and the story fell flat for me.

Audio book source: Audible
Story Rating: 2.5 stars
Narrators: Adenrele Ojo
Narration Rating: 4 stars
Genre: Women's fiction
Length: 11h 59m

Profile Image for Jeeves Reads Romance.
1,342 reviews405 followers
Boring - and NOT romance

Initially, I was enjoying this. The writing is solid and I love the representation. I also like it when a smart, driven heroine can't help but fall in love with the right guy. Unfortunately, it's not a short book, and it felt REALLY long. I found much of the story to be dreadfully dull and uninteresting, focused on a heroine that I didn't particularly like. And I have trouble calling this a romance novel because:
1. I wasn't confident that I knew who the hero was until over 100 pages in
2. The heroine isn't single (she has an obviously lame boyfriend)
3. The hero doesn't know that until almost halfway through
4. There are only about 10 pages that felt even remotely romantic in the ENTIRE book (plus a few kisses and one closed-door scene)

This is probably more chick lit than anything else. It's heroine-driven, told exclusively from Dylan's perspective and every page focuses on her. We see her go from an uptight, list-making, workaholic to... well, I actually think she's still all of those things by the end. She might just be a little less rigid about it. The majority of the story is about her career, dealing with her family, and realizing that she's not doing what she wants with her life. There were moments that I enjoyed, but a lot of it was painfully slow. This wasn't a win for me.
Profile Image for Hilary Bunlert.
21 reviews1 follower
April 2, 2021
I loved this book! Perfect summer reading. I legitimately laughed out loud several times reading this one. As the heroine's overly-controlled life starts to unravel, you will find yourself cheering for her to embrace the mess and watch it land her where she needs to be, including into the arms of a swoon-worthy hero. Bonus points for the zany family members you can't help but fall in love with.
Profile Image for Amy | Foxy Blogs.
1,339 reviews961 followers
June 8, 2021
The Checklist is the story of Dylan who is a corporate consultant. Like the book, the title implies she does have a checklist.

Her checklist includes:
1) making partner at her firm
2) getting a condo in Texas with her boyfriend

Her job has her going to Seattle to help a company that is failing. During that time she starts to discover her boyfriend is a snob and not someone she actually likes.

As the story moves along Dylan comes to the realization of what is important to her and what she really wants in her life. This awareness has her realizing that what she originally put on her checklist might not be what she really wants in her life.

Even though the book is marketed as a rom-com it felt more like Women's Fiction. Readers who enjoy the heroine finding her voice and paving her own path will enjoy this story.
Audio book source: Audible
Narrator: Adenrele Ojo
Length: 11H 59M
Profile Image for diann bryan.
426 reviews
May 28, 2021
Addie Woolridge is officially a must read Author!
This debut of hers is filled with laugh out loud moments and fun characters and an enjoyable storyline. 5 shiny stars

Ok! Now the story! Dylan makes lists and likes things that fit into her well put together life but when she’s sent on assignment back home to Seattle ,things go from organized to hell in a hand basket in record time.

So much love for this character and her adorable quirky family , work family, neighbors and friends.
This is a fun group of characters to say the least!

Add this fun book to your list and Thank me later!
Profile Image for G.G. Gleason.
Author 10 books41 followers
May 16, 2021
This was a closed door romance that seemed to focus on everything else except the couple that was supposed to be falling in love.

I did love the breakup scene, though.
Profile Image for Larry H.
2,440 reviews29.4k followers
July 8, 2021
3.5 stars.

If you plan everything meticulously, nothing falls apart, right? That's what Dylan, the main character of Addie Woolridge's The Checklist , would like to believe.

Even though she saved a major account, Dylan gets banished to her hometown of Seattle. She’ll have to work with an eccentric tech CEO who keeps alienating his employees and making the company look foolish in the media. He, of course, doesn’t think he needs help, but if Dylan doesn’t succeed, she’ll lose her job for sure.

Worse than that, she has to stay with her family for a few months. Her parents are both bohemian artists who don’t understand their management consultant daughter. They want her to help solve the latest round in their years-long squabble with their next-door neighbors.

As Dylan tries to deal with a stubborn client, a micro-managing boss, demanding parents, and a boyfriend she’s realizing she doesn’t like very much, she’s also striking up a friendship with the sexy, smart son of her parents’ neighbors.

But even with all the meticulous planning and checklists she can create, and the best of intentions, Dylan gets in way over her head—with everything—and might lose it all. Now she needs a plan to fix a lot of things, but it may be harder than she thought.

The Checklist was a cute story—I thought it was more of a rom-com but it’s just fun fiction with a little romance thrown in. There are definitely some wacky characters and situations here, and I laughed out loud a few times. It’s always great to see that no matter how bad you may think your life can get, characters in fiction have it worse!

BookSparks, Montlake, and Addie Woolridge provided me a complimentary copy of the book in exchange for an unbiased review, as part of #SRC2021. Thanks for making it available!

Check out my list of the best books I read in 2020 at https://itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com/2021/01/the-best-books-i-read-in-2020.html.

See all of my reviews at itseithersadnessoreuphoria.blogspot.com.

Follow me on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/the.bookishworld.of.yrralh/.
Profile Image for saida.
207 reviews15 followers
May 11, 2021
I was looking forward to reading this because of the blurb and thought this would work out perfectly for me but unfortunately it fell super flat. I really liked Dylan she’s definitely a ‘by-any-means-necessary’ type of girl and exudes confidence. Also loved the diverse characters but the romance between her and Mike didn’t feel believable whatsoever. I also hated Dylan’s ex Nicholas I didn’t like the manner in which he spoke about her hair and the backhanded compliments about her family. He definitely wasn’t matching her energy she deserves better than him. 3⭐️
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Clarissa.
76 reviews3 followers
May 10, 2021
Amazon first reads

I don’t usually finish 2 star books so maybe this is a 2.5. This read like a lame chick flick movie. Super predictable, awkwardly painful and overly descriptive in all the wrong parts. I finished it but don’t recommend it.
Profile Image for Prerana.
1,121 reviews349 followers
June 11, 2021
This was an insightful read. I very rarely see a normal person in books as they mess up and try to fix it. Obviously everything worked out here, which doesn't happen in real life. But it was so refreshing to see someone struggle with things and have to work through it.

More than that, though, the thing that stood out to me was how the two MCs actually connected. Books tend to skate past the conversations and actions that actually cement the bond between the people, but this book really delved into their respective passions and how they bonded over it and listened to the other. It was really refreshing (which I've mentioned before, but this book just seemed to show a side of relationships that a lot of books don't show).

This was definitely a very intriguing read, and I'm glad I read it.

And I'm out.
Profile Image for Lauren Salisbury.
281 reviews23 followers
May 19, 2021
This just wasn't interesting enough to grab my attention. It doesn't read much like a rom-com: there's little to no romantic tension, we hear more about her not so interesting corporate job and tension with two different co-workers than her love life.

The title is a disappointing misnomer. I was hoping that there would be clever checklists sprinkled throughout as a narrative device but that is missing too. Instead we get mention of Dylan's history of making lists. It hardly even feels like a point of character development it's mentioned so little.

This felt like a slog which is the opposite of how a rom com should be.
5 reviews
April 25, 2021
This is a wonderful rom-com. I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters are well-developed with distinct personalities that show through their choices and responses. The author imbues her main character with intelligence, strength, insight, determination, and vulnerability. The supporting characters are also quite believable and endearingly quirky. The plot keeps you engaged, interested, and laughing out loud. You will want to know how this whole episode turns out and will be eager for the next adventure with these characters!
Profile Image for seku.
204 reviews
May 22, 2021
3.5 stars.

Okay. For a book called The Checklist, there was a sad lack of actual checklists. Like Dylan uses them to basically cope, she titles them for goodness sake, and we don’t really see anything about them at all. Telling me she checked something off in her head is not good enough I’m sorry.

Anyway, a romance this was not. We get one steamy make out, a fade to black sex scene, and then a literal good ending kiss. I thought I was gonna get spice, I did not get spice.

What we appreciate is the diverse cast of characters. We truly stan the character development, the phenomenal GROWTH Dylan goes through. We will even accept that we were reading what was the equivalent of a Lifetime movie, right down to literally EVERYTHING WORKING OUT FOR HER IN THE END AND GETTING THE GUY. This was truly a feel good story.

But I came here for spicy romance and I was given mayonnaise.
Profile Image for Dramapuppy.
387 reviews44 followers
June 13, 2021
I love slice-of-life, but it seemed like this book went out of its way to focus on the dull and frustrating parts of life. Even so, I didn't regret reading it in the end.

I read other reviews complaining that this book spends less time on the romance than it does on the protagonist's job, but I took that as praise because I actually prefer the romance to take a backseat. I love romcoms where the heroine spends pages and pages starting her own restaurant or chasing her dreams in journalism.

This book, though, focuses on what seems to be the most boring and frustrating job in the world.

Dylan is a consultant, which means she spends all day interacting with people less competent and more powerful than she is. Pages and pages of walking on eggshells around her male coworkers, trying to tell them how to not fail in polite ways that make them feel like they thought of it themselves.

Dylan's existing relationship is equally frustrating. Her boyfriend respects her possibly less than her boss does. I get that this is the point, and she's supposed to rise up over the course of the story, but it's such a long book that this evolution feels painfully slow. You have to sit through a lot of frustration first.

Still, my frustration never tipped over to rage, and the book portrays Dylan as justified in her frustration, so it never became painful to read.

It wasn't as feel-good as I wanted it to be, but this is still an enjoyable enough romcom, and it adds a little bit of diversity to a very white genre. That's a win in my book.
Profile Image for Chanele.
356 reviews5 followers
June 1, 2021
The idea of this book sounded cute, the setting was interesting to me (I love books set in Seattle!), and I enjoyed that the book was full of diverse characters. Unfortunately, that is where the charm ended. It took me an extraordinary amount of time to finish this book because it was just ... boring.

Dylan returns to her hometown of Seattle from her very structured life in Houston. She inexplicably lives in her childhood home with her eclectic, artistic parents (why her company was not providing lodging is still weird), and she falls for the son of the family across the street, with whom her family has been feuding since her childhood. Dylan is some sort of corporate fixer, sent by her shady boss to come in and help a tech company, run by a comically mad genius former hacker with good intentions and terrible execution, fix its (and his) image. It all sounds interesting, but the parts about her work (or her love interest's work) were just so boring that my eyes glazed over and even after finishing the book, I can't really tell you what Dylan did, or why she was so celebrated in her work. The interaction between the characters felt forced and long, and even the single sex scene got skipped, so the book never got to a temperature other than slightly-below-room-temperature.

In sum, this book is an example of how you can have the best ingredients, but if you don't combine them right, your meal is nothing but bland and forgettable.
Profile Image for CoCo.
23 reviews
March 16, 2021
***Full review to follow, short review: you'll love it!***
Profile Image for Claire.
71 reviews
March 21, 2022
This was...fine. About what I expected, but why do authors start out with a clever idea (she's really into making lists!) but then give up on them about 1/3 of the way into the book?

Either stick with the idea or don't have one at all. Don't just use it all willy-nilly whenever you feel lke adding it in.
Profile Image for Donna Foster.
734 reviews62 followers
May 20, 2021
More than a story about coming up with spectacular checklists.
731 reviews
May 21, 2021
Honestly! Worth every moment!

There were times I literally could not stop laughing! The writing of Addie Woodridge is so real the humor was equivalent to a giggle or laugh party with a sister/best friend. I looked back to where I left off after laughing myself silly, and it was like to sisters looking at each and start laughing all over again. This book did this for me, it took me actually putting the book down for an hour to calm myself enough to begin again!
The characters were stunning, what a bag of tricks, honestly Ms. Woodridge, I do not believe you missed a single personality, out it all together in this one book, and simply made a "cannot put down" novel!
Seattle was the perfect setting, and Houston was a great opener for the setting, the dynamic of the two opposites made Seattle stand out. The facts , I loved Neale, about Seattle were amazing!
The storyline , a complete blast!
This novel had it all, and it was certainly worth every moment spent ignoring responsibility!
Thank you!
I loved it!

Karen
Profile Image for Fallon Prinzivalli.
69 reviews44 followers
March 14, 2021
An extremely fun and sweet story about a woman whose well-crafted, organized life is slowly sliding towards chaos. My favorite part of this story was the diverse cast of characters who help her grow throughout the process. It's such a charming read, and with a summer release, it's the perfect rom-com for a beach trip or a book club.

**I received this ARC unexpectedly in the mail. I enjoyed it so I wanted to leave an honest review.**
Profile Image for Vibliophile.
1,460 reviews75 followers
Pretty good story but...

... not a comedy as the First Reads blurb seems to suggest. In fact, it was more like women's fiction than romance. The author takes her protagonist, Dylan, to her lowest, most stressed out point and nearly crushes her as virtually her entire world falls apart.

There are definitely amusing moments interspersed, though, that help provide some relief. And the writing is often witty. Those little sparkles & Dylan's character are what kept me reading. She was positive, confident & capable. I really liked her despite her flaws.

Which is similar to my response to this book - it has some weaknesses, but is still pretty likeable. The characters are diverse in a real world way, ie it's not a black story or a brown story, it's simply a human story.

Dylan is the only truly 3-dimensional character in the book, however. The rest haven't much depth & come across more or less as stereotypes. Nicolas wasn't a particularly believable character, & Mike was a little too perfect (except at one awkwardly, discordant point when he inappropriately turns something Dylan said in innocence into something dirty).

And the ending is almost fantasy-level pat as it resolves everything plus icing on top - though to be honest, after all that she went thru, I didn't begrudge Dylan her happily-ever-after fairytale ending. It did shift me out of story immersion mode, however.

It's not a long book, but it felt a little bogged down, not to mention stressful, in the middle as things were increasingly ratcheting up. Because of that, I can't really say that it was entertaining, exactly - even though it had entertaining moments - but it was at least a fairly satisfying read.

Content:
Refreshing - I started to roll my eyes at the intro of the token gay neighbors, but the author actually did not make them saints

A few vulgar jokes
A sex scene that fades to black after undressing

Light swearing + 5 f-bombs
A couple dozen careless uses of the Lord's Name (ie in vain) but none as curses, fwiw
447 reviews
May 5, 2021
I liked it but...

The Checklist by Addie Woolridge is not about to redefine the world of modern rom-com as the First Reads synopsis claims. It is an enjoyable book, with some quirky , loveable characters. But I did not laugh out loud once, or keep my husband awake late at night with my giggling; as I have with other rom-coms. I could relate to the main characters chaotic home life, however, as well as the feeling that life was going to h*** in a hand-basket! Maybe the authors vivid descriptions of how life can suddenly feel like you are snowball barrelling unimpeded down a mountainside, was just a little to close to home to be funny! Yet, like an accident you can't help but gawk at, I was glued to the book, wondering how it was going to end in an happily ever after. You can't fault Addie Woolridge's technique, word-craft or character development. She definitely created a flawed heroine, whose wants and needs did not match up. I caught myself groaning several times, " Oh PLEASE! Just get over yourself! " again realizing I was relating all too well to the main character. Which is of course,what a good novel should do.
So, even though I may have held my head and even cried a few times, instead of laughing, I did find this new author's work to be enjoyable and worth the time to read.
Profile Image for Jamie Jack.
Author 1 book81 followers
Such a Fun Rom-Com

If you're looking for a fun and witty rom-com that fits either a staycation or a real vacation, look no further than this book. Heroine Dylan leads a neatly structured and controlled life, but that all changes when her boss sends her on a potentially career-derailing project after she showed him up on the last one. She's not ready for the changes that a trip back to her hometown of Seattle will bring. So much for control and structure! But, perhaps, she is in need of a change… and even a little growth. Aspects of this book put it above the typical rom-com, like Dylan’s never-ending, sarcastic, and sometimes insightful mental chatter. The author writes deep characterization well, and what a head Dylan's is to be in! Also, the large secondary cast of characters adds a level of quirkiness that makes the book endearing and a delightful read. The book is light and breezy fun, perfect for when you're wanting that rom-com escape.

My book blog: https://www.readingfanaticreviews.com
Profile Image for Judith.
240 reviews
March 4, 2022
Snappy dialog, in real-life, would exhaust me. Dylan and her handsome guy from across the street from her parents' home talk in clever quips exclusively. Maybe, people do that. I was expecting one of those boyfriend's requirements checklist, from the title. It's not that. The MC is a corporate efficiency type expert. She has high expectations and keeps lists. But, her efficiency and expertise become overwhelmed. Her immediate supervisor, Jared, is riding her. Her client is immature and difficult. Her parents are artists and live and thrive in chaos. They engage in a longstanding feud with the married women across the street. And it's their muscular, handsome son, that provides the love interest. Dylan becomes unhinged under all the pressure. I started to wonder if these dilemmas would be resolved.
86 reviews1 follower
May 4, 2021
The Checklist was a quick fun read that was light and entertaining. The characters were well drawn and highly relatable. Dialogue was natural apart from a few double entendres that were ginned up to fortify the will- they-won't-they scenario. (Spoiler alert: they will.) The highlight of the book for me is the main character Dylan's day from hell in which everything that can go wrong does go wrong, and more. The hard truths she had to face were a turning point, and how all her problems were resolved formed a satisfying conclusion. I received this book for free from Goodreads Giveaways, with many thanks.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Rachel.
2,042 reviews26 followers
May 27, 2022
Dylan loves checklists and orders her life based on them. She is excellent at her job and aims to move up in her company (she works at a consultant firm). She's also been dating Nicholas for 3 years. When she is sent to Seattle for an (impossible) job as retaliation for something that happened that made her supervisor look bad, she re-evaluates her life.
I did like Dylan and the writing. What I wasn't crazy about was this really wasn't much of a romance. It's billed as a rom-com. It's not. This is very, very little romance in this one. Dylan is also in a relationship (Nicholas) when she meets Mike. Dylan's family and neighbors are a hoot. So, yeah, this was average for me.
Profile Image for Liz.
3,295 reviews54 followers
June 3, 2021
The Checklist by Addie Wooldridge was a fun read that had me smiling and turning the pages. A story about a woman who had everything under control suddenly finds her life a hot mess. Now she is trying to get it all back under control while trying to save her job and fix her love life. The story was sweet and had some great characters. Dylan was so determined and organized, and it was fun trying to see her fix the chaos her life has become. I am excited to read more from this author!

Happy reading!
Profile Image for Tara♥ {MindforBooks}.
1,293 reviews115 followers
October 27, 2021

Super cute!

I really liked Dylan, I'm convinced she is a Virgo because that list making is for sure Virgo energy.

There is romance and most importantly a HEA/HFN but it wasn't super heavy on the romance so I'd keep this on the bookshelf for when you are feeling like some lovely character development, fun family dynamics, Seattle as an extra character (those museums?!?!), crazy CEO subplot and a sweet relationship buildup that's part of the reward Dylan gets for the reams of growth she goes through.

Looking forward to more from this author.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 394 reviews