Start by marking “Following the Rules (The Script Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
Following the Rules (The Script Club, #1)

(The Script Club #1)

The geek, the jock, and a new set of rules…

Topher-
My friend’s brother needs an academic assistant and I need a job. Problem…jocks are my weakness. Seriously. I lose my ability to speak coherently around muscle-bound hotties. Oh yeah, I lose my inhibitions too—not a good look for a guy with a genius IQ. So what am I going to do about Simon?

Simon-
Finishing college isn’t hig
Published May 7th 2021 by Lane Hayes

To ask other readers questions about Following the Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Following the Rules

Start your review of Following the Rules (The Script Club, #1)
Shile
Audiobook - Dnf at 15 mins Sorry Alexander!😑

Story Time of death 80% - Rating upto there - 2.15 stars

You can guess (view spoiler)

description

Warning! Party pooper review ahead.

description

It's me not the book. The reviews for this one are glowing, there got to be an odd ball right? And that is me.

description

The first off thing about this, was the audiobook. I love me some Alexander Cendese voice b
Cadiva
Apr 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is just happiness in written form.

It's Lane at her very best when it comes to crafting believable bisexual awakening stories and for giving a sense of realness to finding a lifelong love while in college.

I loved everything about this book, from Topher and his uniqueness, to Simon and his kindly ways, to the rest of the Geek Squad and the brilliant families and friends both men had.

It's sweet, steamy, full of feels and just made me happy.

#ARC kindly received from the author in return f
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
May 10, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: male-action
4.5 Stars!

Another winner from Lane Hayes.

I mean....are we really all that surprised?
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.25~

Football players are Christopher's kryptonite. He can't resist them but can't be around them either as he becomes nervous, babbles about whale penises, and builds pillow forts for protection.

This is problematic as Simon, Topher's best friend's older brother, has just hired Topher to be his tutor extraordinaire. Topher is smart, you see, and Simon, currently on leave from the NFL after being cut from the team, needs all the help he can get.

Simon is lonely and at a crossroads. He knows he
Em Jay
Time of death: 23%

Well folks I did something I never do which is DNF a book. Ironically, this is not even close to the worst thing I've ever read so don't let my comments deter you. In fact I'm not going to give a rating both because I didn't get that far, and also because I don't think the book is necessarily bad at all.

I picked this up because I wanted a "brain cleanse" if you will, and as I was reading it felt as though it was cleansing my brain too much and taking my brain cells along with i
Eugenia
Adorkable, sexy fluff!

This was a ray of sunshine breaking through overcast skies!

Just the thing to brighten up a dull day.
Just the thing to follow an agnsty read
Just the thing to read to bring a smile to your face.

Footballer—welcome to bi-land!
Rocket man—can’t get enough sex 🔥
California—the beach...hello!

Jock needs tutoring help
Grad student needs a job
Grad student has a problem : he can’t resist jocks
Jock is happy to oblige with...
His lips
Tongue
Hands
Thighs
And INSERT BODY PART HERE

Role-playing
Annery
If you want a break from life's noise without venturing into fantasy Lane Hayes is always a good choice and Following the Rules keeps up the streak.

This is the first in a new series featuring a group of geeky brainy friends and their journeys to HEA. It is tangentially an off-shoot of the Starting From series but can totally stand on it's own. Simon is a football player who's been sidelined because of concussions. The time off has led him to reevaluate what his future looks like. In the meantim
Susan
May 14, 2021 marked it as dnf
DNF at 50%

I really wanted to like this, but I'm not connecting with these guys.
At first I figured it would get better, but when it felt like a chore to pick this up again I decided to accept that this is not the book for me.
Ele
May 17, 2021 added it
Shelves: i-rest-my-case
DNF @ 35%

This is my second DNF in a couple weeks. Talk about a book slump.
haletostilinski
This was a fun first installment in a new spin-off series.

It took me a bit to get into Topher and Simon, but once things really got going between these two, I enjoyed these two immensely.

How they came to be in each other's lives felt a little hokey to me, especially when Simon didn't really want to study, ever, it seemed, and for a good portion of this was just waiting until he could go back to football and Topher didn't want to be there because he wanted Simon too much. It just didn't feel en
W.
Update
Audiobook reviewed through Audible on May 21, 2021

Loved reading it, yet listening was even better

Overall : 5 stars
Performance  : 5 stars
Story :5 stars

Alexander Cendese narration of Following the Rules was outstanding.

His smooth, sexy , engaging voice kept me enthralled and entertained while listening to this sweet, steamy , fun romance story.

I enjoyed listening to this feel good story. It gave me joy and helped me relax .

Yes , I recommend it .
Yes , I will be re-listening it.
Yes, it's worth
suzette ~Always Reading~
I absolutely adored this! Lane Hayes has written a fun, sexy story that made me smile! I loved the nerd and jock vibe and how Topher would spout scientific facts when he was nervous. Simon was so sweet and I loved how he was so open to discovering his attraction to Topher.

This is a low angst read and I cannot wait to read more in this series!!!!

ARC provided by author in exchange for review
~✿ Maria ✿~
May 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: bi-awakening-mm
This book has me conflicted because Lane Hayes is one of my all-time favourite authors but this book was just not up to par in many ways. The first 20 minutes of this book were so confusing to me, I stopped at 15% because I was like what is happening?!!! I almost gave up but my faith and love for Lane Hayes' writing made me power through. Even now the whole Script Club/Academic assistant premise doesn't make sense to me (and I realize its purpose is probably to connect each book in the series) ...more
Ky
May 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2021, indigo, arc
* 4 stars *

I enjoyed the start of this new series. A group of super smart guys, who are roommates and friends, decide to form the Script Club, which is just a way to call themselves, nothing formal.

Topher wasn't what I was expecting, he was full of surprises. I liked him a lot, he was funny, kind of awkward at times and very confident at others.

Simon is at a crossroads in his life, he's waiting for a phone-call that will determine whether his football career is over. And while he's waiting, he
DTM
I truly feel like I have won the lottery with the amazing books I have read lately!! Lane Hayes’ Following The Rules (The Script Club #1/KU) is no exception. Let me start off by saying this book was unexpectedly SMOKING HOT! LOL This first book in her new series ticks all of my boxes!! Topher, the shy, quirky, adorable genius who has a difficult time controlling his penchant for jocks and Simon, the sweet, straight?, professional football player and Topher’s best friend’s brother, these guys had ...more
ellie
meh🤷🏻‍♀️

Simon and Topher were cute, but all of the non-sexual moments and developments between them weren’t shown. we were literally given a brief list of all the things they did:

“Like watching TV with our feet entwined, random trips to the market, making dinner together, or stargazing on the deck after midnight.”

that sounds cute and all... but id like to see it lmao. their development relied way too heavily on sex and it was frustrating bcos i could see the potential. they had a few little soft
ML
May 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
All the stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Simon and Topher were epically hot and sweet in this Jock/Nerd romance!

Simon was adrift and was a bit at a crossroads in his life... Topher was too,in a way. Sometimes timing is everything. Their timing was perfectly in tune with one another. It was sexy AF to read.

The sexy texts... the bold moves.. all led to such a swoony love story. I LOVED both characters SO much. There was so much heart and I loved every word!

I know I’m going to love this new series already. Is it t
Shannon
Adorable! That pretty much sums up Topher and Simon and their story.
Following the Rules is such a cute best friend's brother/opposites attract love story. It's a quick, easy, fun read, a new favorite from Lane Hayes!
Sometimes all I want is a feel-good, light on the angst and drama, escape from the real world for a few hours type read and that's exactly what I got with Following the Rules.
Topher is so darling with his lack of filter and word vomit. He had his rules but they didn't stand a chan
Emily Seelye
May 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
Loved it, but it was a slow starter for me.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Lane Hayes is always an auto read for me but I’ve never really given any thought to whether I have a favorite book or series she’s written.

I’ve given it some thought now. Actually, no thought necessary. I have a favorite now and this book is it!

My God I loved this. Every single word, every single page. I love romances, all kinds of them, but there is just something so special about an easy, breezy, beautiful story about falling in love that works for me every time.

Seriously. I can’t fault anyt
Nerea
Jun 05, 2021 rated it did not like it
Don´t expect any type of story from this book.
Yes, they are a gay nerd and a "straight" jock but just the moment they know each other start the insta-lust , insta-love, insta-gay and all with zero trauma by the jock, like magic. o_ó
ANd of course they start a nonstop sex scenes until the jock come out and the end.
I end up skipping half of them.Borinnnnggggg

I liked the humor at the start! They were having nive conversations but I regret finishing this.
Amy B.
May 18, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the start of a new series, and it introduces us to “The Nerds,” who are really just incredibly smart graduate students in aerospace engineering and other similar things. Each of these guys is a bit quirky (one wears a cape and is obsessed with Halloween and horror, and one was the MC in Lane Hayes’ Starting From Somewhere), but this first one is about Topher. Topher is an incredibly smart nerdy graduate student in need of cash once his paid internship disappears. His best friend suggests ...more
Kaity B
May 20, 2021 rated it it was ok
2-2.5 stars

This was alright I think the narration really took me out of the book Alexander Cendese isn’t a narrator for me. He didn’t do a good job with Topher that was really cringy to listen to.

The relationship was cute, very low angst and not a lot of conflict which was nice but still wished there was some angst or something haha
☆☆☆~Bev's World of Books~☆☆☆
Think this must be one of those 'me not you' stories. I thought the beginning was confusing, and there didn't seem to be that much character development. 3.25 stars from me. ...more
Nastassia
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was fun , made me laugh a lot . I enjoyed the characters .
Erica Chilson
Possible/probable DNF. I am a fan of the author.

The struggle is real...

The opener.

I have zero idea how many ppl are currently having the convo at the coffee house. So many names dropped. So many personality traits described & connecting relationships. 2, 3, 4, 5? More?

Heck, even name-dropping shows, books, films, ren fairs, conventions. College majors. Thesis subjects. Rock stars. Sporting events. Hook ups. Rehashing past events the reader knows zero about.

Geez Louise.

Pure chaos.

It comes off
Nadine Bookaholic
May 13, 2021 marked it as to-read
Read an excerpt here: https://bit.ly/33TQtlH

following the rules by lane hayes
Jennifer Reilley
May 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Following the Rules is the first in Lane’s new Jock/Nerd series. It’s a bi-awakening, best friends brother, no angst story that will leave you smiling

Simon is the jock and he is hoping to return to the NFL but needs Topher’s help with school when he returns to college to get his degree. Topher is super smart and to me his personality was very unexpected.

It was cute seeing their friendship to turn into more. They were super super sexy together and surprisingly how open Simon was when having thes
Annie Maus
Jun 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“Following the Rules,” is terrific, snappy fun, especially if you like the geek/jock trope. And Lane Hayes adds a delightful layer of insight as well.

When funding dries up for Topher’s aerospace engineering internship, he decides to tutor until a spot opens. His friends’ brother, Simon, a straight NFL player who’s been dropped after concussions, has money but lacks the skill and organization to return to college. He’s not sure what to do post-sports.

Tutoring Simon would be the perfect solution,
Emily
May 14, 2021 rated it it was ok
Well this was a head scratcher for me. I usually really love Lane Hayes. A Kind of Romance is one of my all time favorite books in this genre. And I've really liked many of her books in the Better Than and Out in College series. So what happened here? To be honest, I couldn't get past the third chapter. The coffee house scene in the beginning was so confusing, were these characters from another series that I didn't read? There were just so so many of them! And then there was some project they ha ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
See top shelves…
Lane Hayes loves a good romance! She’s the bestselling author of the Out in College, Starting From, Better Than, A Kind Of, Right and Wrong, and Leaning Into Series! Lane loves red wine, chocolate and travel (in no particular order). All things she can find in sunny SoCal where she lives with her amazing husband in a not quite empty nest.

News & Interviews