Start by marking “Ranger” as Want to Read:
Ranger

Ranger

I’ve been living under storm clouds since my honorable discharge, but Julian’s the sun.

I’ve tried everything to deal with my PTSD from yoga to sunning my butthole, but nothing seemed to help.

So when my brother suggests a therapy dog, I figure I don’t have anything to lose. The last thing I expect is for the dog to come with a cheerful, quirky trainer I can’t get out of my
Audible Audio
Published March 22nd 2021 by Nora Phoenix, K.M. Neuhold (first published December 26th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Ranger, please sign up.
Tracey Heart's book from the Ballsy series.…moreHeart's book from the Ballsy series.(less)

Start your review of Ranger
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~4.5~

Ranger is heavy on hurt-comfort but never turns maudlin or overly angsty.

Mack Stone, aka Ranger, is lost and broken. After watching his best friend, the man he didn't know he loved, die right in front of him during a military ambush, Ranger's life changes in a split second. Gone is the strong, confident man who takes charge. Following an honorable discharge, Ranger can barely get out of bed most days.

When his brother suggests a therapy dog to help with Ranger's PTSD, Ranger feels hope for
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
DNF @45%

I just can't with all of the "fiddlesticks, sassafrass, flapjacks, holy potatoes, bojangles".

Diana

I should start off by saying that this story is a spin off from the Ballsy Boys series, but I had no trouble at all following the story. The author does a great job explaining everything and you will not be lost at all.

Ranger has been honorably discharged from the Army Rangers and is struggling with PTSD. His brother recommends getting a therapy dog to help him and keep him company. Right away, Ranger and his service dog, Benny, hit it off and a friendship starts between Ranger and Ju
Ariana
Jan 03, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku, lgbtq
There have been quite a few books about men with PTSD.
This is one of the lighter ones.

Although we do get an idea how Ranger has been affected by his condition and how challenging everyday life has become, the main focus of this story is on how he gets better once he has got his service dog, Benny.
And how he falls in love with dog handler Julian.

I really enjoyed their lovely, heart-warming story which is basically angst-free, full of compassion and a general feel-good vibe. Seeing Ranger start
Cadiva
Jan 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoughtful exploration of loving someone with PTSD

This was a very respectful and thoughtful exploration of how someone can find ways to live with the difficulties of PTSD.

It's also a beautifully gentle romance, filled with support and humour and understanding.

I love it when these two authors work together, they more often than not, for me, produce magic and this was no exception.

I fell in love with Ranger, Julian and the menagerie of animals which made up their family.

No unnecessary drama,
Denise H.
Wonderful. A GFY, gay for you, story that will touch your heart. Our ex Army Ranger, is suffering from PTSD. * Mack/Ranger, is 36, with a brother, Lucky, a Marine, in a triad with two men, and Ranger's alone, depressed, and worried about his life now.
He calls his brother for help, and help comes in the form of a golden retriever, Benny.
With a smile like sunshine, * Julian is an animal trainer for TV and movies, plus the training of Service dogs. He delivers Benny, and the dog bonds with Ranger
Valerie ❈M/M Romance Junkie❈
I cannot tell a lie (ok sure I could). I think I’d give this book four stars just for the hot like burning scene in the truck. Luckily, the rest of the book was pretty awesome as well. I was very happy that Ranger’s PTSD wasn’t glossed over nor cured with the magic d*ck. His struggle is real. Because of this, I had no problem with the lack of relationship angst. It wasn’t needed, and Ranger didn’t deserve to go through any extra manufactured drama.

All in all. I’m very happy with Ranger’s story (
Vanna
4.5 Stars!! Loved it! ❤️ Well-written, thought provoking story about PTSD, without being dark and depressing. The MCs were likable and the chemistry was realistic and sweet. Also the many animals: including a donkey, a goat, chickens and dogs made the story all the more adorable. 💕 Looking forward to reading more from these authors. 👍
Anna
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is like balm for tried body. Sweet, funny, with some dark moments, but it is not overwhelming. What I love the most , the growing love between Ranger and Julian. Add the most funny and helping animals and great secondary characters and you have a fantastic book. I know that K.M. and Nora wanted this book as standalone book, but one character (D) and his sense of humour should have his story ( hint , hint)
Do I recommend this book - 1000% yes and I definitely need more!!
Marion
A great story!

4.5 Stars! I just loved this! Sweet but not too sweet. A bit of angst, family, and animals with lots of personality...overall a great story to put a smile on your face.
Gustaf
Ranger and Julian was fantastic together.

I found the first maybe 20-30% percent of this book to be pretty slow. But after that it picked up to being quite a fantastic and very sweet love story without being too sugary. In hindsight though, those 20-30 percent was necessary to get to know Ranger hand his ptsd better.

These guys found themselves in some hilarious situations and I lived for them. I laughed out loud so many times. Ranger's conversations with his friend about gay sex was seriously h
Rebeka
Mar 29, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Safety:
- Both mcs are faithful after meeting each other
- neither are whores
- Ranger has never been with a guy before and is bissexual
- Julian is gay and experienced

Could have been better if Ranger ex lover who in fact was never his lover, but his friend who was gay and was in love with him and while he reciprocated the feeling he was only aware of it when he was about to die.

His feelings for Alex were too strong there are a few comparisons about how him and Julian are alike and different som
Grace
Almost DNF'd this several times. Not because it was bad, but I just... didn't care. The characters and concept were interesting enough, but I was never really fully immersed in the story. It read fine as a standalone, but also very much read like a book that is a spin-off and since I didn't read the original series I found myself frequently annoyed by the extra context I didn't quite have.
ML
Dec 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ranger and Julian
Dual POV

My face hurts from smiling so much. This book was just amazingly sweet. Between the menagerie of animals to Julian and Ranger’s giving hearts, this was the perfect low angst book I needed right now.

Julian and Ranger meet because of a dog. What’s not to love about that. They develop feelings that intensify over a short time. I just loved both characters and we get a peek into how Heart, Mason and Lucky are doing.

Loved everything about this book!
I’m glad Ranger got hi
Debra
This was sweet and surprisingly touching. Ranger is suffering from PTSD and it's constantly with him, not magically cured. Julian offers friendship first and he, along with Benny the service dog he trained, becomes the sunshine missing from Ranger's life. The slow burn between them is worth it and when it ignites it burns hot!

This is a low angst book, but not without some tense moments, with some great chemistry, fun and romantic moments and a couple that has great communication. The openness an
Joyfully Jay
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jay
A Joyfully Jay review.

Ranger is a sweet, easy story, even as it has some more intense moments, particularly with Ranger’s PTSD. The story has a loose connection to Heart from the authors’ Ballsy Boys series. That story focuses on Ranger’s brother, Lucky, and apparently Ranger was a side character there. However, this story fully stands alone and, while Lucky does appear here, I could easily follow along without having read his book.

This story feels sweet and easy, which is somewhat su
Caipi
Maybe a little too sappy here and there, but this sweet romance brought me to tears one moment, laughing out loud the next and never bored me.
Perfect entertainment!

Liya
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.5 stars ***
Dual POV, fleshed out likable MCs - I fall for both Ranger and Julian, organic relationships development with no relationship angst and honest open communication - the book was an absolute joy to read. At the same time it is not a fluffy story - Ranger suffers from PTSD and his struggles are realistically portraited. I appreciated that there was no instant cure, you just learn to cope and live with it. Julian and Benny, adorable and smart golden retriever, are key to Ranger's he
Agla
Dec 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ku
4.5. I loved this one, I could not put it down. This was low angst because of great communication between the MCs which is always a win for me. Julian was maybe too perfect and I wish maybe we knew more about his family but that did not lessen my enjoyment. They were so sweet together and the slow burn was worth the wait, they were steamy. I knew I liked K. M. Neuhold but this confirms it. I highly recommend this great book :)
Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sweet. Somewhat angsty. A good hurt/comfort book to read if you're home, under a warm comforter, and you just want to read something that will make you smile by the end of the night. :) ...more
Dan
Jan 20, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So good! I love the way mental illness is portrayed, not romanticized or magically cured by love
UnderCoverBookAddict
What a great read!!!

I love Julian!!! He is just so freaking funny! It’s hard for anyone to be upset or not positive in the face of such sunny disposition and unconditional love. I love animals but I have never felt here or there with animals being part of a book (same can be said about children of the human variety). But this book would have NEVER be the same without Julian’s menagerie. ALL of them contribute to the final result and his love for them is remarkable which also plays a huge part on
Madhu MaBookYard -
When I read the blurb to this book, I was sucked in from the start. And now after reading the book, I am even more in love. It's a story about acceptance, love, and some deaf goat tantics!
TW : There are mentions of war, death and a character who deals with PTSD.
[🌟🌟🌟🌟]
First, I absolutely loved Julian as a Character. He was witty, charming and had such a sunshine personality, that pairing hin with Ranger just made him look even more delicious. Ranger was such a complex character and his struggl
Lisa
Dec 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feel Good Read!

I was so excited when I saw that Nora Phoenix and KM Neuhold had teamed up again to bring us Ranger's story! Ranger was Lucky's brother from the fabulous Ballsy Boys series. This dynamic duo did not disappoint.  They crafted such a wonderfully sweet, heartfelt, feel-good romance!

Ranger was really struggling to find his way again after being honorably discharged from the Army with PTSD. Enter Benny--no this is not the other MC in the story--this is a golden retriever that becomes
Cindy M. Green
Dec 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ranger and Julian were such a great couple. I loved how they met, Benny (the dog) brought the two of them together so beautifully. They fell quick and hard for each other and it simply made sense. Ranger has PTSD and Julian is a beacon of hope and light Ranger didn't realize he needed. Julian's outlook on life is honest, sweet and uplifting. They compliment each other so well, their interactions kept me smiling like a loon. They both comfort one another through bumps in the road, which really he ...more
Ankita Singh
Perfection

What do you expect when two of your all time favs write together? Perfection. And that's exactly what this book was. Ranger was such a sweetheart and so was Julian. And I loved all the animals.
Donna
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heike
*shudder* - this was going from "okay" to bad in a heart beat, and one wished the author would have a better understanding (or researched) animal husbandry.

First of all - the first part was a cute romance build up with a cute animal trainer and a less cute PTSD stricken veteran.
And this is all I have to say, after this I am only venting, sorry!

- A wild fire is near, and the guy with the very expensive trick horses has NO evacuation plans for his animals? He has a packed bag for himself for a we
♥️Victoria ♥️ ♥️love books♥️
Just what I needed! I absolutely love veteran books, mixed it up wit a bit of PTSD and I am alllllll in.
French_fry
I did not love this. I found the gun range date disturbing. I know guns are really important to a lot of people but I don’t care to read about them.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Turning Pages At ...: Ranger (M/M Buddy Read) by K.M. Neuhold 30 18 Feb 26, 2021 05:20AM

• Right as Raine (Aster Valley #1)
  • Winter Waites (Aster Valley #0.5)
  • Sweet as Honey (Aster Valley, #2)
  • Click (White House Men #3)
  • Dirty Forty (Friendship and Desire #1)
  • Beautiful & Terrible Things
  • Fools (Licking Thicket, #3)
  • Grumpy Bear (Bear Camp, #1)
  • Serve (White House Men #4)
  • Stars Collide (Written in the Stars, #1)
  • Flakes (Licking Thicket, #0.5)
  • Bossy
  • Merry Measure
  • On the Run (Whispering Key #2)
  • Goal Lines & First Times (CU Hockey, #3)
  • Watch Me
  • Dear Daddy, Please Keep Me (Naughty or Nice, #7)
LGBT > Gay
See top shelves…
K.M.Neuhold has long since been a romance junkie. When she’s not writing she’s reading or spending time snuggling with her husky or her husband. She fell in love with M/M romance last year and hasn’t been able to turn back. There’s nothing she loves more than love in all its forms.

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...
“More and more, I realize PTSD is bigger than the triggers and the flashbacks and the anxiety and shit. It’s affected my mental energy in a big way, making me want to curl up into a ball and sleep. It’s only been lately that I’ve not only had the physical energy to do something but the mental power as well.” 0 likes
“Sweet baby unicorns.
Ungh. I lean over and bite the plump globe of his behind. Ranger squeals in a very dignified, armed forces sort of way.”
0 likes