Start by marking “Of Mettle and Magic (The Magicsmith Book 5)” as Want to Read:
Of Mettle and Magic (The Magicsmith Book 5)

Of Mettle and Magic

(The Magicsmith #5)

Part fae, part human, all magic. . .

Now it’s time to choose a side.

When the Unified Church in Rome is destroyed by rogue sorcerers, tensions explode. Alex Blackwood will do whatever it takes to prevent a war between the humans, fae, and Earth paranaturals--even turn herself over to the PTF. But when a man she thought long dead walks back into her life at the head of a sorc
Published May 14th 2021 by Bell Bridge Books

To ask other readers questions about Of Mettle and Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Mettle and Magic

Start your review of Of Mettle and Magic (The Magicsmith Book 5)
Penny
May 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was so eager to read this book, I couldn’t contain my excitement when I got it. I dived right in so I could immerse myself in Alex’s world once again. So much happened in this one and I can’t say too much. But I will say that there were surprising reveals, interesting new characters, surprising twists, and lots of action. Alex and James are such a wonderful couple, and even though there isn’t much romance, I can tell theirs is a wonderful pairing. I think this was supposed to wrap up the serie ...more
Marta Cox
May 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Well Alex is back and her life is all set to implode. She's made an enemy of her grandfather's general but saving the children that the Fae woman was torturing is worth it to Alex. Now she needs to heal them but with the human council hunting her down safety is paramount. That isn't the only problem Alex has though because with rogue sorcerers attacking the Fae now feel with humanity divided its time to end the peace treaty and attack and ultimately conquer !
Well let's face it the girl just cann
Rolé
Jun 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal

This series has been building and building and the crescendo was absolutely fabulous.

Alex finds herself in the thick of things once again, as tensions between the PTF, the paranormals, and a group of rogue sorcerers come to a head.

It was edge-of-your-seat, breath-stealing, non-stop action. Throughout it all, Alex is trying her best not to lose herself or her friends. She is fighting for a future that will benefit everybody.

I'm sure the book's not perfect, but I was so immersed in it all tha
Anne Szlachcic
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
I have waited (im)patiently for this latest book in this entertaining series - and I was not disappointed .
Reading the previous books in the series is really essential to fully understand the characters and their relationships , and the worlds they are set in .

Alex's naivety and angst knows no bounds - every attempt to get the disparate parties to work together
backfires - even kidnapping the local head of the PTF doesn't work . What will it take to prevent a new
war ......... a war started by h
Alison
Three and a half stars.

I don't know why this didn't grab me more TBH. Things have reached a climax. Rogue sorcerers have destroyed the Unified Church in Rome and Alex is desperate to prevent a war, whether between the Fae and humans or humans and paranaturals she doesn't care.

There are battles and more paranormals than you can shake a stick at, Alex has to decide what/who she really is, and pick a side, can she bring everyone together and win before it descends into out-and-out war? As she final
Gina
May 28, 2021 rated it liked it
More than a decade after the Fae Wars, humanity and paranaturals coexist uneasily. Alex Blackwood has recently discovered that she's a "halfer" - half human, half fae, and one of the few who can handle iron. In "Of Mettle and Magic," Alex finds out that she may have even more reason to fear the PTF who police the paranaturals, and who are determined to drive them from Earth, or eradicate them entirely. Alex will have to sacrifice to keep the peace.

I had recently read the first two books in the s
Bobbie Kirkland
May 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Through NetGalley, I received a free copy of OF METTLE & MAGIC (Book 5 of The MagicSmith urban fantasy series) by L.R. Braden in exchange for an honest review. Alex Blackwood has solved the most urgent problem at hand and decides to turn herself in to the authorities so that she can work with them to avoid the upcoming war. However, when the Unified Church in Rome is destroyed and Alex fails to establish a hoped-for alliance, Alex must regroup and find new alliances to because war is now imminen ...more
Ashley Reyes
Jun 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I thought that, in all, this was a fun and interesting move forward. I think tying up the loose family threads was wonderfully done, and I liked how the fae threat was blunted in the end, but now she has a year to do the near impossible- peace between the factions. Although I wished I could have seen more of the issues with her grandfather the king, after reading, I think it’s better served as a focus for some other time. I
Rebecca Goss
Jun 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I’ve enjoyed this series immensely. Alex is strong and capable. I enjoy that she uses not just her powers, which are increasing, but her intelligence to work through the many dilemmas she encounters. Her friends are loyal to her and work together in whatever capacity they are able. The world building is expansive and well done. The relationships are deep and involved. I read this book on Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Karen Fisher
May 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: karen-fisher
This book is creative, sometimes scary and always riveting. This ongoing series is an excellent one and I eagerly anticipate the next one. I received an advanced copy of this book from NetGalley and freely leave this honest review.
Devaeriel
Julie
Janice Baldwin
May 22, 2021
L.R. Braden
May 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
Sheri A. Frasier
Harro
Daniel
Jun 10, 2021
Award-winning author of The Magicsmith urban fantasy series. Born and raised in Colorado, LR Braden makes her home in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains with her wonderful husband, precocious daughter, and psychotic cat. With degrees in both English literature and metalsmithing, she splits her time between writing and art. She has a soft spot for witty repartee and cheesy pizza.

The Magicsmith (5 books)
  • A Drop of Magic (The Magicsmith #1)
  • Courting Darkness (The Magicsmith, #2)
  • Faerie Forged (The Magicsmith, #3)
  • Casting Shadows (The Magicsmith, #4)

News & Interviews