Start by marking “The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood” as Want to Read:
The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood

The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood

Published October 7th 1998 by Ellipses Marketing

To ask other readers questions about The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood

Start your review of The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood
Johnnie Gee
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I would not have chosen this book but it was highly recommended to me and I am very glad it was. The story was very well written and while it seamlessly moved from one point in time to another I was able to follow it without any problem. The time period of the story is in the future and one that isn't so bright as we would hope.

The reason I didn't rate the book higher is because I didn't like the way the book ended. I like things tied up in neat little packages with ribbon; I don't want to
Tim Jin
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
After watching the first season on Hulu, I wasn't too keen to continue on watching the show. The show did not make any sense to me and to be honest, I don't know why there is so much fan fair over "The Handmaid's Tale". I'm not really sure if I can watch season two, but I thought that I would try the book.

Before I started reading the book, I asked my book club if "The Handmaid's Tale" is worth a try. Many times, I disagree with the book club and most members doesn't agrees what I like to read
Nancy
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I did not immediately love the book, but found myself drawn in little by little. I thought it skillfully led you into the web of understanding the possibility that something like this could happen. Similarities of Hitlers Germany, brainwashing and being maneuvered and frightened into submission. Very interesting. ...more
Helen Yoest
Oct 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Well. I'm not sure what I think. It was dark, but intriguing. I kept reading to see if it would be clear how they all got into this situation. A lot was left to the imagination. I guess that's why a TV series was able to be made. I don't think I'll watch it, tho.
Shawn Albert
Jul 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a page turner. I like the way the author strings together her words. I feel like Im there in the story. I loved it. ...more
Liz Crick
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book was good however not my usual taste written well and people would enjoy just not my taste
Denise
Nov 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Being a fan of the show helped to understand the novel even better. You truly feel that you are in the head of the handmaid. Unique style, very engaging.
Tracie Sneed
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not my favorite futurist tale. Did not move me.
Blake Thornton
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A chilling and terrifying dystopian novel that needs to be re-read every few years. ...more
Angel M.
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I remember seeing the movie for this, years ago so I picked up the audio book at the library. Having a full cast of characters and sound affects really made this book stand out. A short, enjoyable listening experience.
Sera
Feb 10, 2017 marked it as to-read
Okay. I plan on reading this. The formatting is weird, but I know it will be worth it. Luckily it was available at my libraries online thing.
Teri
Dec 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
fascinating, and the end was exceptional as well.
Ron
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, scifi-fantasy
I gave up on this one. Don't know why it is so highly rated as I was board-to-death.
Jamie Kuhar
Jane Zilch
Dec 18, 2016
Story Line 1 2 Jun 25, 2017 03:56PM

• 1984
  • Summary : Becoming Michelle Obama
  • Margaret Atwood: The Handmaid's Tale
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • William Shakespeare's The Phantom of Menace (William Shakespeare's Star Wars, #1)
  • The Alpha Plague
  • Light of the Jedi (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • The Eternal Enemy
  • The Edible Woman
  • In a Field of Blue
  • Labyrinth (FBI Thriller #23)
  • The Spinoza Problem
  • Lean on Me (Family Is Forever, #1)
  • Club Shadowlands (Masters of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Open Your Legs for Me
  • The Wasteland Chronicles: Omnibus Edition (The Wasteland Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Four on One: Drilled by the Drill Sergeants
  • Ask For Mercy #2 (of 6) (comiXology Originals)

News & Interviews