Start by marking “8 Minute Meditation” as Want to Read:
8 Minute Meditation

8 Minute Meditation

In recent years, mainstream Americans have begun to come around to meditation in a big way-and scientific studies are suggesting that the physical and mental benefits are solid and real. But to many, it remains something mystical and inaccessible...and spiritually-oriented tomes on the market don't do much to make it easier.

As interest in meditation continues to grow, th
Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 8 Minute Meditation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 8 Minute Meditation

Start your review of 8 Minute Meditation
Matthew Jankowski
Aug 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
8 Minute Meditation took me on an 8 week journey through the various meditation styles. I started as a meditation novice: each and every page and concept was new to me. I took the authors advice and read each chapter only after I finished a week of meditation in the last style laid out by the author. At the end of 8 weeks I did feel more rested, calm, and peaceful. Moreover, since I finished the book (and the 8 week course) I've continued to meditate daily.

What I think the book lacks is clear di
Eduard
I think it is a very great introductory book for meditation.
Author is American and he removed almost everything unnecessary be it religion, jargon etc. Considering I am agnostic and may be somewhat atheistic in some topics this book was perfect for me.

Its 8 weeks of 8 exercises 8 minutes a day. From calming breathing meditations, to mindfulness and kindness meditations.
Having issues calming down before sleep? Problems with noises bothering you? Or may be pains or negative thoughts?
Well I think
Kelli
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-fiction
This book is intended to be read over an 8 week time period, so that each week you are putting into practice what you have just learned. The tone is upbeat and it reads a lot like an infomercial. I may update this review once I finish the full course but for now I'm going to say that I believe there is tremendous value to going within and taking a mental break/taking time for your self/letting go of anything that doesn't help you or support those you love AND YET I can never manage to "find the ...more
Amy
Wanted a book on meditation to help me through some troublesome spots. Guyczuk did too, and he came up with three recommendations. This was my least favorite of the three, but it might be because of the layout and presentation. There's good info in there, if you're more patient than I am, and more comfortable with some of the current American jargon and approaches to learning a certain type of skills. While I like the idea of 8 minute meditation, it somehow seems too distilled down for me, too f ...more
Vicci Divine
Jun 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great beginner primer for those interested in meditation. It is similar to taking a course with the book being the teacher. I now meditation on a daily basis because of the techniques learned in this book.
Lisa
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had been wanting to begin a meditation practice for a while and decided to have that be my New Year's resolution for 2013. This is the first book I used to get me started and it was perfect for that. I wasn't perfect at meditating every day, but he was so encouraging that I never felt like I was making any mistakes. Full of simple, effective direction and words of wisdom. I learned so much and have seen many ways that this habit has improved my life. Some awesome quotes...

"Everything is perfec
Ken
Jul 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read many many books on meditation and this one is the best intro. to meditation. It is simple in "details" and yet is rich in meaning, ideal for bringing the masses to meditation (i'm sure there 'd be more people meditating if it's the first book for those first showing interest in meditation, rather than other "mystical or philosophical" writings)

Warning though: must look beyond the potential annoyance of repetitions eg. "8 minute" is mentioned more than the number of breaths you take during
Jenine
Sep 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anyone who is a perfectionist and is trying to practice meditation, this is a wonderful, simple book that helps you to not give up on the practice. The author repeatedly reminds you that just because you sit down, cross your legs and close your eyes that the stream of thoughts in your mind will not magically stop or you will automatically be enlightened. It is written in very simple terms and reminds you, you are human and meditation takes practice, practice, practice. "a good meditation is ...more
Nicole Perkins
Feb 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My mom bought me a copy as an early birthday prezzie, and when it arrived yesterday I sat down a buzzed through it. Davich's book is an easy read, his writing style kind of happy-go-lucky...really he reminded me of a Labrador puppy: really friendly, really enthusiastic, and really eager to help you out. This is not to say he doesn't write well. Davich pulls you right into his book, lays out clear, concise guidelines on how you can begin to meditate, and then shows you how to do it. I absolutely ...more
Becki Sanders
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Maybe
So far it's a ton of fluff and I have to skim it because it's like a big infomercial. I have not tried the system yet, which sounds like it will be good but the book itself is pretty annoying. It's like it's written for people who are wusses and won't just make the time and take the energy to meditate without a very strict program.
Lloyd Scott
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished this book and it has really relaxed me a great deal, I can tell the difference when I when I go to sleep at night I am knocke out, and when I awaken the next morning I can't believe that I was out of it. I increased my meditation time from 8-10 minutes/day, what an incredible read, I highly recommend this book to everyone.
Noah
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
I completed the book as well as 8 weeks of meditation. The book was structured well but many of the weekly exercises did not resonate with me (although a few did quite a bit). The author has a very positive, although somewhat over enthusiastic style. In general, I would recommend it as a solid intro to a meditation practice.
Billy
Apr 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
Same old story, I tried other ones, this worked!
Cara
Jun 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great, easy, fun introduction to meditation
Elise
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is the best book for anyone interested in meditation to start with. It's easy, down to earth, and not goofy!
Ginger
Nov 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Great tips, very accessible. But it still hasn't motivated me to regularly meditate yet and I read it 6 weeks ago.
Chirag
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book really gives a clear look of meditation. So if you are a beginner go for it.
Roger
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
A very practical and helpful look and a topic that is shrouded in mystery.
David
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am clearly not the intended audience for this book, but could only laugh instead of be upset about it. The author seems to do an extreme amount of hand-holding, but I think that's perfectly fine given the target audience, who are more conservatively-oriented people that have no concept of what meditation is.

This whole book could be 1/3 of its size and still convey the exact same information. The writing style is easy but cheeky, and the examples given are pretty weak.

All of this being said, I
Allyson
As much as I would like to encourage meditation in any form, this book is more like a really long sales pitch than an actual guide to meditation. But maybe that’s really the point; it’s hard to use words for something that happens in your mind.

I am not going to give it just one star though because if there is a person out there who is completely new to the concept of meditation, who is searching for an answer, this might have something.
Monique
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent starter manual. I tried it starting with a vague idea of what meditation was, and now I've finished it with a much firmer grasp of the basics. This book was a good place to start. It doesn't have much of the spiritual side of meditation. He offers up 8 meditation techniques that you practice for 8 minutes every day for eight weeks. It was simple and strait-forward.
Kelly
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even after reading this book, meditation is not my thing and requires much practice to be successful. I liked that the author listed several types/styles of meditation and that the book was interactive, meaning you participate in one type of meditation for several days before learning the next meditation style.
Kevin Kim
Hocus pocus.
Aazir
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
I'm someone who always likes to be on the go and who has difficult finding time to meditate, or at least that's what I told myself. This book was a great short introduction to meditation for me and it taught me about different meditative techniques. The 8 minute structure worked really well for me as it forced me to stick with it - after all it's only 8 minutes a day!

A few months later and I feel totally different about meditation and mindfulness. I now incorporate longer mindfulness practices i
Bill Krieger
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent introduction to meditation because it's both effective and simple. Most books and experts sell meditation as a difficult and mysterious process. But I agree with Victor Davich; meditation is easy to learn and beneficial!

The first part of 8MM gets 3 bill-stars. The author describes 8 different meditation techniques, each is 8 minutes long. You're instructed to do each technique for one week. So, it's an 8 week program. Really, that's a pretty good introduction.

I've medit
Emily
Ever since reading "Eat Pray Love" I wanted to learn how to meditate. I wanted to improve my ability to clear my mind, relax, improve focus and concentration, and control my thoughts. I chose this book because I wanted to learn how to meditate quickly without having to get through the history and philosophy. The two things I liked about the book is that it does get you meditationg fast and only requires 8 minutes, which is a reasonable amount of time. However, this book took a good idea (for may ...more
Patrick
Really basic intro to meditation. REALLY basic. Dummy's Guide basic, at least that was the tone. meh. I'm sure this works for a lot of people, but I found it kind of annoying.

I did find it interesting that he's shooting for just doing 8 minutes a day. It is an easier way to get started with meditation, I'm sure, than if you had to go for an hour. Because it is work. :-)

So the book is an interesting idea, but it didn't really work for me, though I am doing the 8 minutes a day. Now looking for an
Oraib Toukhly
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've always wanted to learn how to meditate , all books I read didn't even got me close to trying to meditate , this book has introduced me to many ways of meditations for only 8 minutes to start once you learn how to do it and enjoy it you will increase you meditation time automatically but the author has simplified it as little as 8 minutes and make you practice all ways there are, finally when you try them all you choose one you are comfortable with. Great book to learn and to start for begin ...more
Jeff
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The writing is a little corny and juvenile, yet I still enjoyed this as a very nice introduction to meditation. I've since read a few other books on the subject and am surprised how much I come back to this one. I wish he had gone a little deeper (or at all) into the traditions from which his 8 methods come, but really, as an introduction, most people probably aren't looking for that. They want to know how to get started and this book works really well as an introduction to a variety of methods ...more
Natalie
I enjoyed this book. Some complain that it is too basic, but I believe that is the point. The idea is to meditate 8 minutes a day for 8 weeks. Over the 8 weeks, you are introduced to 8 different meditation technique. At the end, you pick what you like and what you want to continue or enhance. I enjoyed the book. Moreso, I enjoy the peace I can feel after only 8 minutes of meditation. It is the perfect way for a busy person to try out meditation.
« previous 1 3 next »

• 100 Hot Sex Positions
  • War of the Worldviews: The Struggle Between Science and Spirituality
  • Our Final Invention: Artificial Intelligence and the End of the Human Era
  • Remembrance of Earth's Past: The Three-Body Trilogy (Remembrance of Earth's Past #1-3)
  • The Reality Game: How the Next Wave of Technology Will Break the Truth
  • Hoax: Donald Trump, Fox News, and the Dangerous Distortion of Truth
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
  • Der Lehrmeister: Die Geschichte des Johann Georg Faustus II (Faustus-Serie 2)
  • The Runner's Devotional: Inspiration and Motivation for Life's Journey . . . on and Off the Road
  • The Master's Apprentice: A Retelling of the Faust Legend
  • Blue Ocean Strategy, Expanded Edition: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant
  • Tasty: The Art and Science of What We Eat
  • Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies
  • Mindfulness in Plain English
  • I Heard You Paint Houses: Frank the Irishman Sheeran & Closing the Case on Jimmy Hoffa
  • Driven to Distraction: Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood Through Adulthood
  • In Search of Wisdom: A Monk, a Philosopher, and a Psychiatrist on What Matters Most
  • Một nghệ thuật sống

News & Interviews

“When (because there is no “if” about this) you are meditating and suddenly find yourself mixing up a batch of brownies or deciding whether to eat Chinese or Italian tonight, just realize that you have strayed off. Then, without judging yourself a “bad” meditator, gently return your awareness to your breath.” 0 likes
“This is what breath meditation is about: watching your breath, straying off, realizing it, and gently returning. Over and over again. Like I said, meditation is a practice.” 0 likes