Start by marking “The Palace of Laughter (The Wednesday Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Palace of Laughter (The Wednesday Tales, #1)

The Palace of Laughter (The Wednesday Tales #1)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,332 Ratings  ·  156 Reviews
Miles Wednesday, orphaned, unwashed and living in a barrel, has never been to a circus before—but then the Circus Oscuro is no ordinary circus. There's a strange beast called The Null and an array of sinister-looking clowns, and when an unusual little girl with wings falls from a tower during the performance, Miles's life is changed forever. As Miles and Little embark on a ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Julie Andrews Collection

To ask other readers questions about The Palace of Laughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Palace of Laughter

Susan
Sep 23, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile
As much as it saddens me to say this, I can't give this book as good a rating as I'd like. If it were possible to give half stars, it's really a 2 1/2 star book, and it's a shame because it started off brilliantly. Miles, the protagonist, is hiding in a barrel with a stuffed bear named Tangerine and spying on a mysterious circus. The creepy circus element had so much potential, because isn't everyone just a little bit creeped out by clowns anyway? Throw that in with the orphan boy-makes-good plo ...more
Nadine Larter
Feb 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
After spending two weeks on the last book I read it was kind of refreshing to finish this book in three sittings. Yes I admit that it's not the most brilliantly written book and neither is it emotionally poignant, but The Palace of Laughter is a great story and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something to tickle their "As sweet" fantasy. If you're like me and you prefer you YA fiction minus all the annoying teen angst then I reckon Jon Berkeley is an author to look out for. It might a ...more
Jana
Apr 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Carrie
I LOVED this book. Just a good read. Why are some of the best books about orphans?
Amy
May 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tween-reads
This is the story of a homeless boy, Miles, escaped from the local orphanage, and a little angel named Little, whom Miles helped to escape from the circus. They are on a quest to find the angel, Silverpoint, whom Little followed to earth and whom she needs to find in order to get back home. They know that Silverpoint is at the "Palace of Laughter," but they don't know where or what that is.

The story is somewhat dark. The circus people are the scary kind that give people nightmares, and they are
Sara
Sep 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, childrens
The Palace of Laughter is my favorite kind of children's book, the kind that reminds me why I spent such a large portion of my childhood holed up in my room reading books instead of outside playing with the other kids. It is the kind that whisks the reader away to a foreign but familiar and intriguing land, which the reader promptly decides is much more interesting than her own life and so desires to spend as much time in said world as possible. Luckily, this is the first of a trilogy, so reader ...more
Max
Jan 22, 2010 added it
Shelves: 10th-quarter-2
Miles Wednesday, the escaped orphan, lives in a barrel on a hill overlook the town of Larde. But that's OK, it's a large barrel, perched on its side. One night, completely unannounced, the Circus Oscuro comes to town and sets up below Miles's hill. Also making a visit is a huge tiger, who meets with Miles at the barrel and tells him (yes, I know, tells him) that he can smell a link with the circus on Miles. Smuggling himself into the space beneath the big top seats, Miles sees a young, angelic g ...more
Anne Latham
The Boy has been searching for a new series featuring an alienated boy since the Gregor the Overlander series ended, and The Wednesday Tales is definitely high on the list, currently running hard against May Bird.

Alienated Boy with Tiger trumps Alienated Girl with Cat AND Ghost, and that is why this review is about the adventures of Miles and Little and you will have to wait another week or so for a review of May Bird and the Ever After.

Miles Wednesday is an escaped, renegade orphan who lives in
Clare
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read all of this series, and let me tell you, it was worth the read.
The story is about a boy who's last name is Wednesday (because of the day he arrived at the orphanage) and how he becomes involved with a song angel and a carnival that is complicated to say the least.
On the way he meets people that are good, bad, and off putting- and learns about the parents he lost, the person he is, and the world that he lives in with all it's magic and mystery.

I love that this book is a little bit scary, a
leynes
May 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I swear to God, I have to re-read this book. I somehow consider this one of my favorite childhood novels, but I can't even remember a thing that happened in her. Oh my!
Sirona Leopold Montenegro Valverde
I remember receiving this book as a gift for my birthday back when I was a kid. And while I did pass as a kid who enjoyed reading, it was not often that I'd get into the books I received for my birthday. With The Palace of Laughter, however, it was one of those few occasions.

And looking back, I remember seeing it a couple of years earlyer in a bookstore, but wasn't very interested in it, because from a first glance it seemed too... underwhelming. As you might guess, that wasn't the case.

I guess
  • The Book of Story Beginnings
  • Snivel: The Fifth Circle of Heck
  • The White Horse Trick (New Policeman, #3)
  • The Silver Door (Moon & Sun, #2)
  • The Last Newspaper Boy in America
  • The Faerie Door
  • The Monsters of Morley Manor: A Madcap Adventure
  • Landon Snow and the Auctor's Riddle (Landon Snow, #1)
  • Dirty Magic
  • The Chaos King (Wall and the Wing, #2)
  • The Immortal Fire (Cronus Chronicles, #3)
  • Dormia (Dormia, #1)
  • The Fire King (The Invisible Order, #2)
  • Guardian of the Green Hill (Under the Green Hill)
  • Winter of Magic's Return
  • Freshman
  • Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1)
  • Below the Root (Green Sky, #1)
Jon Berkeley was born and raised in Dublin, Ireland and says he went to a school where "you were only allowed go to the bathroom if you asked in Irish." His love of art led him to study at the National College of Art and Design. From there he went to work as an illustrator in Hong Kong, Barcelona, London and Sydney.

Jon worked as an illustrator for twenty years before turning his hand to writing.
More about Jon Berkeley...

The Wednesday Tales (3 books)
  • The Tiger's Egg (The Wednesday Tales, #2)
  • The Lightning Key (The Wednesday Tales, #3)