Start by marking “Power: How Get It, How to Use It” as Want to Read:
Power: How Get It, How to Use It

Power: How Get It, How to Use It

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  69 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Michael Korda, celebrated author, editor and expert on power politics, gives the bottom line on how to get a bigger raise, better job and total control over everyone around you. From the placement of furniture to the placement of your feet, Korda details the strategies and time-saving tips that will land you in the executive boardroom of power.
Published February 12th 1981 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Power

Margot Note
I love 70s era business books!

"The essence of power is the ability to cope with the demands of life, not to react like a paranoid at every real or imagined threat, or waste one's life and energy trying to submit everything to one's own control. The world is a disorderly and dangerous place, and always has been, and the man of power must learn to live in it comfortably" (66).

"The smaller the sum of money, the more personal it is going to appear, which explains why most executives are reluctant t
Geoff Canyon
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Many people criticize the book because they think it advocates the techniques it describes. Maybe it does, but the fact is that the techniques are used (some more, some less, obviously) and knowing them helps you understand what's going on and defend yourself.

As one example, I once had a conversation where I noticed that the other person was rotating into my space, exactly as described in the book. I stood my ground until we were shoulder to shoulder, and he kept rocking back and forth, unable
Cody Sexton
Dec 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could give this to a younger version of myself, but to be fair I feel this way about most of the books I read. Never has there been a more useful book written detailing the realities of the world and how we should orient ourselves in it, in particular in the business world, as most people are grossly unprepared to enter this arena and formal education has done little to remedy it. Understand: all around us a game is being played, most people can't recognize it and few are capable of pla ...more
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Either this book is seriously dated (my copy says 1975 on the copyright date) or I just haven't risen to the importance necessary to employ the tactics described in this book. Some of it, like when he says 'people you know are more fun to control than people you don't', made me feel downright greasy. If crap like that is what it takes to get ahead at high levels of power, I'll consider myself blessed just to be a peon.

There are some bits of wisdom and humorous anecdotes on human behavior. If yo
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
I was very reluctant to read this, but soon realized it has some helpful tips. Although an older book, therefore outdated information, some things just never change. I disagree with quite a bit of things, they seem to be written in a male chauvinist point of view. What I did find helpful, a lot of the information he gives to gain power, I've experienced it being used on me. Now I can know ahead of time and avoid it.
Stephen- Craig
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
When this book came out it was a "game changer"! Michael Korda comes from a renound entertainment family and if you are interested in understanding the inner workings of "the hustle", you need to start with this book. It will prepare you both in thinking and positioning for what you will need to do next ! A Good Read !
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
There's some good stuff in here that's still applicable and there's some really dated stuff that'll make you laugh, well, not all of it. The chapter on Women and Power is pretty appalling though it does serve as a good reminder of where women in the workforce have come since the mid-1970s.
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've just revisited this book after reading it back in the Seventies as a teenager. I would say it's a lot more relevant to me now than it was then, but I still don't think I'm going to be God or anything. But I liked it,and I will keep this book and revisit it again, in a year or so.

Alberto Lopez
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Oh, how things have changed. During the fast and furious 80's much was allowed that would make today's readers run to their 'safe-space'. Once again, the power guru wrote a book worthy of strong recommendation by my dad. He thought I needed to be much more aggressive in style. I now agree.
Dennis Greene
Jun 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
An interesting approach to the sociology of power symbols and relationships in corporate settings of the late twentieth century.
Shafik Keshavjee
Mar 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Gives you ideas on how to be perceived as powerful and therefore someone whose advise etc is sought. Can attribute making $10 000 from advice directly learnt from one of the chapters!
Edward Young
Jan 19, 2013
Kalvi Rutz
Jan 15, 2010
Cristito Gimang
Nov 08, 2013
Nov 30, 2009
Ben Lundin
rated it did not like it
Dec 31, 2014
John Donnell
Feb 20, 2011
May 23, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
is an English-born writer and novelist who was editor-in-Chief of Simon & Schuster in New York City.
More about Michael Korda...

Nonfiction Deals

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals-and Other Forgotten Skills
    $15.95 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99