Start by marking “The Story Factor: Inspiration, Influence, and Persuasion through the Art of Storytelling” as Want to Read:

The new material for this revised edition offers an expanded case study of storytelling in action that focuses on one of Simmons’s success stories. Over one hundred stories drawn from the front lines of business and government, as well as myths, fables, and parables from around the world, illustrate how story can be used to persuade, motivate, and inspire in ways that cold ...more
Published April 4th 2006 by Basic Books (first published November 2000)

Omar Halabieh
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As the title indicates, this is a book about the power of storytelling as an influencing tool. As Annette best tells it: "People don't want more information. They are up to their eyeball in information. They want faith...Faith needs a story to sustain it - a meaningful story that inspires belief in you and renews hope that your ideas indeed offer what you promise...Story is your path to creating faith. Telling a meaningful story means inspiring your listeners...to reach the same conclusions you ...more
Taka
Sep 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
Not very helpful--

I was very excited to start on this book after reading so many good reviews about it. I had my pen at the ready to underline valuable passages and take notes. I expected it to give me specific techniques and tips to improve my storytelling skills.

But alas, my expectations were too high and unreasonable. I came away with a little bit more of appreciation for story and what it can do, but that's about it. No specific techniques or tips that could improve my skills as a storytelle
Maria
Mar 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
i'm extremely disappointed

i can't believe that a book about storytelling can be so boring. oh maybe it's my expectations that were wrong? basically, i wanted a kind of tutorial. like, here's how you build a story - 1, 2, 3. those are the types, those are the points, those are the tools. instead a got a whole book of water

well, they mentioned the story types in the very beginning, but that was it. the rest of the book was about "stories are so powerful, it's so awesome, omg, stories are cool". i
Mark Ruzomberka
Mar 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are familiar with the movie Inception then you know the line "What is the most resilient parasite? Bacteria? A virus? An intestinal worm? An idea. Resilient... highly contagious. Once an idea has taken hold of the brain it's almost impossible to eradicate. An idea that is fully formed - fully understood - that sticks; right in there somewhere."

A wise man once told me "Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story." I think that applies here. It reminds me that people simply do not un
Geoff
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
After seeing it referred to in another book, I had this book sitting in my "wishlist" on Amazon for months. Then I slipped it into a shipment of books that I ordered and it sat on my shelf for several more months. Finally, during my summer holidays, I pulled it out and began to read.

Annette Simmons is inspirational about the power of story. I was reading the book as a ministry leader, rather than as a professional speaker. It reminded me of the power of non rational communication, the power of c
Will Jeffries
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
I absolutely enjoy storytelling and believe this ancient art-form to be the foundation of civilization. If you are interested in storytelling, I would recommend you visit Doug Lipman, which the author of this book recommends as well: http://storydynamics.com/

Also, a famous storyteller that I have grown to love over the years is Leo Sofer: http://www.palaceofstories.com/
He offers free downloads of his stories as podcasts before they make it to the "buy me" page - so, I would encourage you to hop
Jocelyn Paige
My favorite book written about storytelling and storytelling techniques. The six types of stories help anyone understand how useful stories can be in communicating with people who are you and what you stand for. A must-have for entrepreneurs, I can also recommend this to writers, artists and specifically for anyone who blogs.
Clare
Aug 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
Anyone who has an interest in how storytelling can be used for more effective communication (in business as well as personal situations) should read this book. It makes an incredibly compelling and clear case for the use of story and highlights a range of potential applications and benefits from using a story-based approach.

As I made my way through the book I was hoping for some more 'how to' information. The new chapter in the paperback edition, 'Story Thinking as a Skill', was certainly the c
Wendy
Jan 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What did I learn from this book? What do I want to remember? Story of 3 men - 1 laying bricks, 1 building a wall, 1 building a cahtedral . . . storytelling can help us see the cathedral. Ask a 5-year-old if she can draw and she will enthusiastically say ‘Yes!’ Ask a group of adults the same question and they will hesitate . . . our lives are a story and we are already telling that one perfectly. Jewish Teaching Story – naked truth is rejected at every door. Clothe the truth in parable and it is ...more
Jim Peterson
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this book for work.

I would recommend The Story Factor to anyone interested in learning how to convert what they've learned from reading, writing and telling stories into a potential success factor in the world of work.

Simmons explains how to use storytelling as a way to influence others. It sounds tricky, and it is, but it's essential for people working in sales, marketing or, like me, copywriting. The author does, however, emphasise that it is important to use this skill for worthy cause
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
I did not find this book useful. Annette Simmons focuses on why story is important and its effectiveness as a tool of influence and persuasion, but not so much on how to construct and use story effectively. At one point she argues that one can't really tell another how to tell a story - it's too instinctive and individual a process. So not much help there. She also continually intertwines "telling stories' with "living our story." The result is confusing, abstract, and more philosophical than pr ...more
Ed
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: personal-mba
This book ran hot and cold for me. Some chapters I found boring and others inspiring. I think if it had some exercises or challenged me to think more about relating my personal experiences to the stories in the book it would have engaged me more. It did enlighten me to the power of storytelling and for that it was worth the read. This is not a 'read it and master it' type of book. It is a starting point and a good introduction.
Anatoly v01
Во-первых в этой книге про сториттелинг нет одной большой объединяющей всё истории. Это какой-то позор.
Во-вторых тут действительно рассказывают "как использовать силу историй" (почти везде), но про составные части истории ничего не говорят, прикрываясь тем, что это бесполезно, идите лучше практикуйтесь. Зачем тогда эта книга, непонятно.
Brett
A must read for salespeople, business owners, politicians, and anyone who needs to learn how to influence others (which is basically everyone on the planet).

This is an incredibly good book, explaining very clearly how to use the power of stories to help people see things your way.

As I said, YOU NEED TO READ THIS BOOK.
Nancy
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business Leaders and Storytellers
A great tool to have in your library if you are part of leading a company or organization. Simmons does a marvelous job gathering stories that really truly get the point across. I use this book in my storytelling class and the students love it.
Linda Sands
Loved this book. The power of stories. Time to revisit & think about this oldest tool of influence.
Blake
Sep 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gone
This is more of a business/public speaking book, and not a very good one at that. Very little insight into storytelling, and could have been re-titled "How to Win Friends and Influence People by Telling Stories."

I knew I was in trouble when on page 30 she made the factual error stating Heaven's Gate members believed Halley's Comet was their salvation (it was actually Hale-Bopp) and spelled Halley "Haley."

There are much better books on storytelling and public speaking. This one missed the mark.
Linda
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
I got this book from a training class that highlighted storytelling as an effective communication tool. This book is a good further reminder of the power of stories. The first and last chapter were the weakest, but I found the rest very readable and useful. Now we’ll see if I am able to apply it...
Onno Bruins
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very nice book about the art of storytelling. Not the trendy corporate marketing interpretation, but a story about human interaction, really listening and transferring knowledge and insights through story. If you're interested in storytelling, this is a good place to start.
Angell Johnson
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant book on how to get any Jane Doe on the street to care to hear your story. The things that people would never tell us, is completely up to us to watch and listen for. I am definitely interested in other works by this author.
Faith Wood
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I thought the author did a fabulous job of sharing case studies and examples about how to leverage story in your business marketing. As someone who speaks on influence and persuasion for government staff, this book will become a valuable resource for me in my future teachings.
Ron Willoughby
Annette Simmons is impressive. She reminded me why I love storytelling and being a storyteller. I think I somehow had forgotten.

I'll be reading parts of this book over and again, I can assure you.
Kelly
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I believe this book documents a very important principle of life, that we all know intuitively, but haven't articulated. Its a great book for leaders and parents alike.
Dennis Gillingham
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very intriguing information presented in palatable form.
Rich Angus
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't really leave an impression to me to be honest. Less about the mechanics of a story, and more about a series of story I don't feel really resonates.
Christina
Jul 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Really good stories, but tiring at the end. Not the best read in storytelling.
John
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pleasantly surprised. Entertaining and informative. Provided good tools to impliment story telling into my speeches and employee interactions.
Mike Barretta
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: business, own, nonfiction
More than I was expecting
Mahipal Lunia
Apr 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Finished a refresher on this book as I prepare to go through Slideology again. If you are new to Story Telling, this is a GOOD PREMIER. The key take away from the book is thinking of the 6 key stories every story teller needs to be able to tell/structure.
The Story Factor By Annete Simmons
6 Kinds of Stories You Must Be Able to Tell
People dont want more information, they want stories through which they can have "faith in you." You can connect and influence people with 6 kinds of stories
1. "Who I
John Kaufmann
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't know what to expect, but this book kind of grabbed me. It was full of wise advice, a lot of it in pithy form. The book is about the importance of stories, including how to tell stories that influence. And, of course, it uses a lot of little stories and vignettes to make its points.

Facts appeal to the rational brain and often don't convince us. Stories appeal more to our emotions.Facts are one-dimensional, stories multi-dimensional. Where facts are direct, stories are more subtle and ind
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • Discovering the Soul of Service: The Nine Drivers of Sustainable Business Success
  • Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will
  • The Leadership Moment: Nine True Stories of Triumph and Disaster and Their Lessons for Us All
  • The Power of Intuition: How to Use Your Gut Feelings to Make Better Decisions at Work
  • Never Give In!: The Best of Winston Churchill's Speeches
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • How to Be a Star at Work: 9 Breakthrough Strategies You Need to Succeed
  • Improving Your Storytelling: Beyond the Basics for All Who Tell Stories in Work or Play
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Naked Presenter: Delivering Powerful Presentations with or Without Slides
  • Jump Start Your Business Brain: Scientific Ideas and Advice That Will Immediately Double Your Business Success Rate
  • The Exceptional Presenter: A Proven Formula to Open Up and Own the Room
  • The Leader's Guide to Storytelling: Mastering the Art and Discipline of Business Narrative
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations that Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • The Radical Leap: A Personal Lesson in Extreme Leadership
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients
Annette Simmons is a vibrant keynote speaker, consultant and author of four books: The Story Factor named as one of The 100 Best Business Books of All Time, Whoever Tells the Best Story Wins , A Safe Place for Dangerous Truth (AMACOM, 1998), and Territorial Games: Understanding and Ending Turf Wars at Work.

Annette started with a business degree from Louisiana State University in 1983, spent ten ye
“It is safe to assume that any individual or group you wish to influence has access to more wisdom than they currently use. It is also safe to assume that they also have considerably more facts than they can process effectively. Giving them even more facts adds to the wrong pile. They don't need more facts. They need help finding their wisdom. Contrary to popular belief, bad decisions are rarely made because people don't have all the facts.” 9 likes
“The telling and hearing of stories is a bonding ritual that breaks through illusions of separateness and activates a deep sense of our collective interdependence.” 6 likes