Start by marking “The Cuts that Cure” as Want to Read:
The Cuts that Cure

The Cuts that Cure

"A tale of intrigue and suspense, with a villain that will keep you awake. A page-turner you don't want to miss!" -NYT Bestselling Author Nick Russell

Alex Brantley is a burned-out surgeon whose desperation to start a new life outside of medicine leads him to settle in a sleepy Texas town close to the Mexican border, a town that has a dark side. Its secrets and his own past
Published May 11th 2021 by White Bird Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Cuts that Cure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cuts that Cure

Start your review of The Cuts that Cure
Bookworm Extraordinaire
May 26, 2021 rated it really liked it
⭐⭐⭐⭐ -- Nearly a 5 star read!!

PROS
-- Fantastic writing.
-- Fast paced.
-- Extremely engaging plot.
-- Twists and turns.
-- Intriguing and well-developed characters.
-- Satisfying ending.

CONS
-- This was nearly a 5 star read for me. What ultimately knocked it down to four was the Henry arc. I just don't feel like the resolution fit with how Henry had been portrayed up to that point. The Henry the author gives us from page one would never have even considered that as an option. It just seemed to be a co
Angel White (Certified_Book_Nerd)
Alex was a surgeon, a very good one, but difficulties with his mental health and the fact that...well he hates being a doctor...bring his world crashing down. Disgraced and disbarred he ends up as a science teacher in a small town in Texas called Three Rivers.

Meanwhile, a sadistic killer has been coming into his own. After Henry's mother finds him, at the age of ten, in an unspeakable sort of ritual she decides a new town would be best. New start...buried secrets. Three Rivers will be that new
Dana
Jun 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
The Cuts that Cure is one of those novels where as each domino falls, you assume you know where things are going but you're wrong every time. I haven't read a more suspenseful read in a long time. The story builds slowly as we get to know each of the characters and the circumstances that lead them to the choices they make. There were a couple of fabulous jaw drop moments that I'm not sure I'll ever get out of my head.

Alex is a doctor who has reached the end of his rope as a surgeon and has decid
Jessica Belmont
May 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing
The Cuts That Cure by Arthur Herbert is quite a thrill ride. I was not expecting to be so absorbed and the twists and turns were shocking. I didn’t put this down for a single second once I started reading.

I kind of just want to read this book again instead of reviewing it, because it was so good. I’m obsessed, if you couldn’t tell. I’ll review though, because I want whoever is reading this to read the book!

Arthur Herbert handles these characters so well. The talent it takes to create characters
Matthew Condello
Apr 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review. I went back and forth between 3.5 and 4 stars on this one. It’s very well written. Great characters, tightly paced. And it starts off incredibly intriguing and you can’t help, but to get hooked in. What it became though was entirely unexpected and while I enjoy being surprised I found a lot of the last half of the book to be ridiculous. At times I cringed and rolled my eyes. So much of this book is fantastic, but it isn’t able to ...more
D.K. Hundt
DNF - 61%
Jodie "Bookish"  Cook
Ed Smith
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was one book that drove me to keep reading. The detailed depth of the characters pushed my mind toward possible outcomes and fed my desire to see if I could foretell their actions. I am eagerly awaiting the next book.
Susan van der Walt
Jun 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers who like medical thrillers and psychological thrillers with a twist.

Alex Brantley is disillusioned after ten years of surgical residency. The long hours, endless fatigue, and a mountain of student debt have driven him to the brink. After a failed suicide attempt, he re-educates himself and applies for a job as a science teacher in a small Texas town.

Slowly he finds his feet and starts making friends. He becomes more involved with his students and coaches the long-distance runnin
Stanley McShane
May 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Read his full review on Rosepoint Publishing.

Being a doctor, especially a surgeon in the United States, usually means a prosperous life for the graduate. The problem is that the work is not always glamorous.

Alex Brantley has discovered that his chosen profession is a continuous grind. Working in the emergency room of a major metropolitan hospital means working with anyone who comes in. Gunshot wounds and children with broken bones who apparently are “accident prone,” begin to take a heavy toll
Eduardo Navarro
May 14, 2021 rated it it was ok
Douglas Green
May 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Great read, surprise ending, eager for more

This is a great read with good, well-developed characters. Dr. Herbert does a great job of putting us in the head of his characters. We are introduced to Dr. Alex Brantley as the weight of untold frustration comes bearing down when one of his patients has tell-tale signs of abuse. Dr. Brantley snaps and we are hurtled from Houston to South Texas and San Antonio as Dr. Brntley tries to piece his life back together. Little does Dr. Brantley know that his
Sasha(SpookyxSasha)
Thanks to Shannon of R&R Booktours and Arthur Herbert for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This book definitely lives up to its genre of Dark Suspense/ Inverted Mystery. It starts off with an interesting chapter introducing one of our two main characters that the story will follow(though it does have a few different people it follows in this novel). Right off the bat, I find myself liking the character Alex. He seems like a great guy and is written in a way that you can’t hel
Brenda
Apr 15, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haunting and chilling, this book twists and turns right until the surprising end. Alex Brantley is a surgeon whose task is to save lives. Brutal hours and wave after wave of emotions takes a toll and he makes life changes. And some poor decisions. Once certified, he teaches sciences in small-town Texas where he makes friends. But the skeletons in his closet cannot be ignored forever.

Sadist teen Henry Wallis is a constant worry and emotional strain on his mom. He is a very disturbing character. A
Daryl P Goodwin
May 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Clever title leads into an intriguing, gripping and satisfying story.

The confident handling of a cast of characters, vivid descriptions, suspenseful and gripping narrative arc are surprising in a debut novel. Arthur Herbert writes with confidence and perception of people. His descriptions of medical stress and small town Texas are vivid and realistic so that you know he was there, seen it and leads the reader to feel and understand it along with him.

I hope that his trip to Mexico in real life wa
Kristina Civille
May 21, 2021 rated it liked it
Alex is burned out and decides to move and change careers from surgeon to high school teacher in order to alleviate some stress, but he doesn't realize he is moving to a town that has some dark and twisted secrets. Henry is one of his students who has developed some sadistic indulgences. When they cross paths, you begin to question every character's intentions throughout this thriller.

I liked it. Arthur Herbert does a great job of building out each character and leading you through twists and t
Cam
Apr 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received this ARC from Netgalley for an honest review. When I first started this I thought it would be a psychological thriller but it turned into much more than that!

Alex is a surgeon but hates his job. Devastated by a divorce, his huge school loan debt, and battling depression, he decides to leave it all behind for a new life and a new job as a teacher in a small town in Texas.

But it is a far cry from what he imagined. He finds himself the target of small town gossip, there's been a murder c
unknown
May 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Descriptive storytelling yields quite the page turner

Arthur Herbert tells a tale so detailed and precise in his word choices, you have no choice but see the West Texas struggle of a despot man come to life. A struggle of what is fair and what is right unfolds. Each turn of the page, not quite what you thought - a twist here, a puzzle for you the reader to solve, a witty reference left for the astute, an unexpected turn there. I look forward to reading more from Arthur Herbert.
Vicki
Apr 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read this book for an honest review. WOW!! The characters were well developed and I couldn't wait to see what direction they would take. And the directions they took; I'm pretty good or thought I was, in what could happen. I had no clue. The Cuts that Cure kept me guessing, thinking about outcomes and going Oh My Goodness....what's next. The ending never crossed my mind. Excellent read. I can't wait to see what he writes next. ...more
Mallory McCartney
May 17, 2021 rated it really liked it
Thank you to RR Book Tours for my review copy!

Perfect for fans of Alex North! The Cuts That Cure is a well developed thriller that will hook you right from the first chapter. With alternating POV's the author did a wonderful job of keeping me guessing, and building this chilling story that I couldn't put down.
Tess
May 13, 2021 rated it it was amazing
You’ll learn some things from this book. A factual, clinical approach with some clear imagery. Beware of evil lurking in these pages where you’ll also find a man struggling with his empathetic soul. A heavy read, and very revealing, the author knows their subject matter.

Doris J. McKey
May 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This book was a bit different from the books I usually read but wanted to try something different. I was not disappointed! The characters were always keeping me guessing as to what would happen next. I really enjoyed the book and look forward to reading another from Arthur Herbert.
Zelda FeatzReviews
Jun 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour-tbr
I will post my review on 25 June as part of the blog tour organized by Blackthorn Book Tour..... sneak peak: while it covers harsh subject matter the author manages to keep the ugly from being to ugly. A brilliantly descriptive story that you won't be able to put down ...more
Larry
Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I received an advanced copy for an honest review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It was very well written and had an excellent storyline with engaging characters. I highly recommend this book for anyone looking for a good read.
Leah Ison
May 14, 2021 rated it really liked it
I received a digital copy of this book as part of a promotion and I could not put it down.

I opened it up to take look and planned to read it the next day. Yeah right. I was pulled into the story.

Loved the well developed characters and how their lives tangle and twist.
Tristan Burbridge
May 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
This book kept me entertained from beginning to end thanks to the well written characters and story line.

Jim Phillips
May 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
An excellent mystery thriller with a great storyline and well developed characters. Very well written story full of suspense and an unexpected ending. A page turner that I would highly recommend.
Herb Phelan
May 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I recently gave this book a 5 star rating and have been asked to make sure that my full name is used. I reassert a 5 star rating and my name is Herb Phelan Jr
Lynn
May 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ok my god this was so good and the ending was hauntingly stunning..just read this book!
Debra Berquist
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I'd like to thank White Bird Publishing for providing me an advance copy in exchange for a fair and honest review. This book is a must read! Following Alex's day to day trials will leave you curious to find out what will happen next. His interactions with a local teen add yet another twist to Alex's already complicated life. The ending is totally unexpected and leaves you with food for thought!

• The Red Boat Fish Sauce Cookbook: Beloved Recipes from the Family Behind the Purest Fish Sauce
  • The Last Green Valley
  • The Audacity of Sara Grayson
  • Purely Italian. A cookbook: 30 Fast and delicious recipes to let you cook like an Italian (Italian Recipes and not only. Easy and quick way to impress your guests. Book 3)
  • The Retreat
  • A Bright Young Thing
  • The Living and the Lost: A Novel
  • The Final Round
  • The Kew Gardener's Guide to Growing Roses: The Art and Science to Grow with Confidence
  • The Tiny Kitchen Cookbook: Strategies and Recipes for Creating Amazing Meals in Small Spaces
  • The Woman They Could Not Silence: One Woman, Her Incredible Fight for Freedom, and the Men Who Tried to Make Her Disappear
  • Food by Fire: Grilling and BBQ with Derek Wolf of Over the Fire Cooking
  • Six Weeks to Live
  • Murder at Wakehurst (Gilded Newport Mysteries #9)
  • The Turtle Boy (Timmy Quinn #1)
  • The Bridesmaid
  • Tuesday's Child
  • Secrets Mothers Keep
Arthur Herbert was born and raised in small town Texas. He worked on offshore oil rigs, as a bartender, a landscaper at a trailer park, and as a social worker before going to medical school. He chose to do a residency in general surgery, followed by a fellowship in critical care and trauma surgery. For the last seventeen years, he’s worked as a trauma and burn surgeon, operating on all ages of inj ...more

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...