Start by marking “Flag on the Play (Single Dad's Romance, #5)” as Want to Read:
Flag on the Play (Single Dad's Romance, #5)

Flag on the Play (Single Dad's Romance, #5)

Carson Ward’s life might seem glamorous but he’s a simple guy. He loves football, his family, and spending time with his friends. His biggest flaw might just be the fact that he has a secret crush on his best friend’s little sister and has for years.

Abby Lauder is a free spirit and loves seeing life through the lens of her camera. As the photographer for a professional foo
Published June 28th 2021

To ask other readers questions about Flag on the Play, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flag on the Play

Start your review of Flag on the Play (Single Dad's Romance, #5)
Merry Jelks-Emmanuel
Jun 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
When Carson receives a surprise at his doorstep, Abby is the one to come to his aid to help him over the hurdles. It also sets in to motion their pent up feelings as they cross over leading to problems in professional lives because of the no fraternization clause with the club. This is a well written story and had me connecting with the characters! I voluntarily agreed to receive an ARC of this book for an honest review.
Susan (susayq ~)

This was a quick fun read. My only complaint is that Carson and Abby didn't get together romantically until around 60%. I loved how he stood up for her though!

I would jump on a book about Reece and Trevor 😉
Erin Lewis
Jun 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 Star Review of Flag On The Play (Single Dad’s Romance #5) by Kay Gordon

I have enjoyed reading this series as the authors have all been new to me as is Kay Gordon. I am surprised I have not come across her books before. From the first chapter to the last I was hooked on the story that Ms. Gordon.

This is Carson Ward and Abby Lauder’s story and was an entertaining read. I fell hard and fast for Carson whilst Abby is the younger sister of Carson’s best friend. Carson is shocked when his ex girlfr
Gladys
Jun 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. The storyline was fun and delivered plenty of feels. I thought that Carson and Abby were quite likable and I felt that they had good chemistry. Some drama and twists add spice to this slow burning brew that went down nice and easy. Of my own volition I'm posting a candid review. ...more
Sue
Jul 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Quarterback for the Wildcats, Carson, has had some life altering news. His ex had his baby and is turning her over to him, forfeiting all rights. He’s stunned but steps up for his daughter who he already adores.

But he needs help for when he’s training and travelling with the team. His best friend and teammate’s little sister, Abby, is more than willing to help him. He’s always had a crush on her but as his best friend’s sister and team photographer, she’s off limits.

Abby has always had a thing f
MelodiousBookNotes
Jun 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
What a wonderful story!! Kay Gordon has written an endearing love story centered around a sweet baby girl who is literally dropped off at her father's door after his ex decides she wants nothing to do with this precious baby.
Carson's instant love for baby Beth is sweet, endearing, and often amusing. She's a definite light in his life. Another light in his life is Abby. Both secretly hold a torch for one another but they cannot pursue relationship for two reasons:
1. Abby is Carson's best friend
Gwendolyn Leeder
Jun 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed Flag on The Play by Kay Gordon!! Her story telling skills are awesome!! The story of Carson Ward, the quarterback for the Wildcats and Abby Lauder the photographer for the team have both been suppressing their feelings for one another for over two years. For two reasons, first league policy and second Abby is Trevor’s Baby sister who is best friends and teammate with Carson and he told or warned the guys on the team to stay away from her when she started working with the team. C ...more
Jackie Wright
Jun 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars for Flag on the Play ( Single Dad’s Romance #5)
I’m loving this series of Single Dad’s romances by different authors and Flag on the Play is a great addition. Single dad romances are always a must read for me and this series has also introduced me to a fair few new authors ands that’s always a win win.
Carson Ward thought his life was perfect, he was living the life of a NFL superstar but his life was given massive turn about when his ex turned up on his doorstep with a newborn. His fr
Romantic Reads and Such
Jul 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
There's so much to like about Gordon's newest release (besides the fact that Carson going ga-ga over his newborn daughter is one of the sweetest things ever!) Both Carson and Abby are nice people trying their best to push down their feelings for the other. There's the whole big brother thing going on but it is also against their employment contracts. And while yes, those are both big concerns, the biggest is the fear that their feelings may be one sided. But a little time spent alone together mi ...more
Carolina
Carson and Abby have been pinning for each other for a long time, and they have a strong connection but would not cross the line because of work policy and their respect for each other. Carson and Abby are both very likable characters, making it easy to root for them to get together.

Sports romance is one of my favorite tropes, and I enjoyed the mix of a football star and team photographer couple. It gives you a fun behind-the-scenes perspective.

Carson learns he is a father when the mother of the
Jenn the Readaholic
Jun 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Carson and Abby had a bit of a slow burn, but there wasn’t unnecessary drama around it. Each wanted the other, but pesky things like Abby’s brother being Carson’s best friend and the no fraternization policy at work kept them from ever voicing those wants. Until Carson needs help and Abby is the one person who can easily give it. Then the “shouldn’t” side of the argument goes up in flames and it’s just a question of who’s going to be burned and how badly.

I enjoyed Carson and Abby and especially
Stephannie Tolitsky- Swoonworthybooks/EnticingJourney
Stephannie's 5 Star Review:

This is the sweetest story ever! Carson is the Quarterback and one day his ex shows up with a baby, his baby.  He scrambles for help but after a bit adjust well to the new addition to his life with ease. It is so swoon-worthy to see a big manly man take care of a sweet baby. Trevor and Carson are best friends and play on the same team; Abby is Trevor's little sister and she takes photographs for the team. Both Carson and Abby have feelings for each other but never exp
Kia B
Jun 25, 2021 rated it really liked it
OVERALL RATING –4 stars

RECOMMENDED FOR: those that like lighter, lesser steam, best friend's sister, friends to lovers

First my usual points:

- I do not do spoilers unless warned.
- Read the summary above; it will tell you what the book is about. I will not reiterate.
- This is a standalone.
- No errors that I caught as far as editing.
- The author was new to me

BOOK:
- Contemporary romance
- 1st person with dual POV
- characters are likable

Star Ratings - 1 (poor) - 5(READ THIS BOOK)
· Writing Quality: 5
mnhockeymomreads  Heather B
Carson, star quarterback for the Denver team, has been head over heels in love with his teammate and best friend's little sister for years. But she is strictly off limits. Abby, photographer for the NFL in Denver, has been in love with her brother's best friend for years. When Carson’s ex-girlfriend drops a baby off on his door steps he is more than a little surprised, and overwhelmed. This book has so many of my favorite tropes, and the characters were very likeable, realistic and side characte ...more
Amy M. (Amy Loves Reading Blog)
Hooked! I’m so hooked on these single dads!!! I wasn’t sure how I would like the professional athlete aspect since sometimes they go a different route but oh my word did I love Abby!

Abby is the best. She seems like such a talented photographer and by each description has me wanting her to take pictures of my family. She has this cool aunt vibe but so motherly too and each time I thought something would happen I wanted to squeal.

Carson actually kind of surprised me. Not knowing much about him in
Kari
Shelves: ipad, for-review, 2021
Flag on the Play is the next book in the Single Dad's Romance series. This one involves Carson, star quarterback for his NFL team. He finds out he is a dad when his ex-girlfriend drops his newborn daughter on his doorstep and says see you later. In a bind, friend and co-worker Abby steps in to help out with the adorable baby.

Out of all of the books I have read in this series, Carson wins the prize as the cutest dad. I loved watching him fall for his little girl instantly and take to being a new
Nicole
Jul 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was such a great addition to the Single Dad Romance series. I couldn't put this one down. I loved Carson. That man is going to make you swoon. He's a hunky football player, but seeing him with his baby daughter will just melt your heart. The way he steps up shows his true character. Abby is great too. She shows her true character and what a great friend she when she lends a helping hand. Though these two put in close proximity things are going to start get quite interesting. They have such ...more
Daniiela Tavares

This was a sweet and relaxing story. There wasn’t drama like I was expecting with a story like this and I liked it.
The one downside for me was the slow burn but once things started going it didn’t stop which I appreciated.

Carson is such a good person and he is such a great dad. I’m not a Mom myself but I can still appreciate the struggle that is to raise a child alone and I think the author did a good job in dem
Donna
Jun 19, 2021 rated it really liked it
Carson Ward is the star Quarterback for the Wildcats professional football team. His ex-girlfriend, not wanting to be a mom, drops a newborn off at his house and tells him he's the father. He goes into a panic and calls his Mom and also Abby.
Abby Lauder is his best friend's little sister who he has been in love with forever. Abby is also one of the professional photographers with his team and there's a no frat policy with the team.
When his nanny has an emergency and has to return home Abby come
Renee Entress
Jun 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, series, read-2021
4 star

The story has laughs, secrets, and heartbreak.

The below are part of this series if you want to read those also:
Savannah's Salvation (Single Dad's Romance, #1) by Louise Lennox
Then I Saw You by Kate Stacy
His Moonflower (Single Dad's Romance #3) by T.K. Cherry
There's More To It (Single Dad's Romance #4) by Allie York

This is Abby and Carson's story. Carson has a crush on his best friend’s little sister. She has a crush also but tries to keep it hidden. When he becomes a single dad overnight,
Kari Hansen
Jul 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Carson is a professional football player whose life is about to take a drastic turn when his ex leaves him with the infant daughter he didn’t know he had. He is feeling out of depth as he tries to adjust to his new normal but when his best friend’s sister Abby steps up to help he didn’t think the biggest challenge would be denying the attraction to her that he has always had.

Abby has always had feelings for Carson that extended beyond friendship but she also knows that there are many reasons the
Mindy Lopez
Jul 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is Book 5 in the Single Dad's Romance Series. It is a slow burn, off limits romance between star quarterback Carson and his best friend's sister, photographer Abby. These characters are likeable, the connection strong, the chemistry hot, and the unique plot makes for an enjoyable read. It is a sweet love story with drama, humor, sweetness, frustrating moments, and love, plus engaging secondary characters to keep the reader interested. Overall, it is a quick read with heart, heat and a happy ...more
Kirstie Barr
Jun 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
caffe.and.books (Aimee)
Jun 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
𝖳𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝗂𝗌 𝖺 𝗏𝖾𝗋𝗒 𝖾𝗇𝗃𝗈𝗒𝖺𝖻𝗅𝖾 𝗋𝖾𝖺𝖽, 𝗂𝗍'𝗌 𝗅𝗂𝗀𝗁𝗍 𝗁𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗍𝖾𝖽 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗌𝗐𝖾𝖾𝗍. 𝖨 𝗐𝖺𝗌 𝖺𝖻𝗅𝖾 𝗍𝗈 𝖿𝗂𝗇𝗂𝗌𝗁 𝗂𝗍 𝗂𝗇 𝗈𝗇𝖾 𝗌𝗂𝗍𝗍𝗂𝗇𝗀. 𝖨𝗍 𝗐𝖺𝗌 𝗍𝗈𝗍𝖺𝗅𝗅𝗒 𝗎𝗇𝖾𝗑𝗉𝖾𝖼𝗍𝖾𝖽- 𝖢𝖺𝗋𝗌𝗈𝗇 𝗂𝗌 𝗇𝗈𝗍 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝗍𝗒𝗉𝗂𝖼𝖺𝗅 𝗌𝗍𝖺𝗋 𝗊𝗎𝖺𝗋𝗍𝖾𝗋𝖻𝖺𝖼𝗄- 𝗁𝖾 𝗍𝖺𝗄𝖾𝗌 𝖼𝖺𝗋𝖾 𝗈𝖿 𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝗋𝖾𝗌𝗉𝗈𝗇𝗌𝗂𝖻𝗂𝗅𝗂𝗍𝗂𝖾𝗌 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗁𝖾 𝗂𝗌 𝗋𝖾𝗌𝗉𝗈𝗇𝗌𝗂𝖻𝗅𝖾. 𝖠𝖻𝖻𝗒 𝗂𝗌 𝖺 𝖻𝗋𝖾𝖺𝗍𝗁 𝗈𝖿 𝖿𝗋𝖾𝗌𝗁 𝖺𝗂𝗋, 𝗌𝗁𝖾 𝗐𝗂𝗅𝗅 𝖽𝗈 𝖺𝗇𝗒𝗍𝗁𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗍𝗈 𝗁𝖾𝗅𝗉 𝗁𝖾𝗋 𝖿𝗋𝗂𝖾𝗇𝖽𝗌 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖿𝖺𝗆𝗂𝗅𝗒.

𝖸𝗈𝗎 𝖼𝖺𝗇 𝖿𝖾𝖾𝗅 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝖼𝗈𝗇𝗇𝖾𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇 𝖻𝖾𝗍𝗐𝖾𝖾𝗇 𝖠𝖻𝖻𝗒 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖢𝖺𝗋𝗌𝗈𝗇 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗐𝗁𝗂𝗅𝖾 𝗈𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗋𝗌 𝖺𝗋𝗈𝗎𝗇𝖽 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗆 𝖿𝖾𝖾𝗅 𝗂𝗍 𝗍𝗈𝗈 𝗍𝗁𝖾𝗒 𝖿𝗂𝗀𝗁𝗍 𝗂𝗍. 𝖳𝗁𝗂𝗌 𝗂𝗌 𝖼𝖾𝗋𝗍𝖺𝗂𝗇𝗅𝗒 𝖺 𝗌𝗅𝗈𝗐 𝖻𝗎𝗋𝗇 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝗍𝗁𝖾 𝗌𝗍𝖾𝖺𝗆 𝗂𝗌 𝖺𝗋𝗈𝗎𝗇𝖽 𝖺 2 𝗈𝗎𝗍 𝗈𝖿 5 𝖻𝗎𝗍 𝗂𝗍
Andrea J
Jun 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Super charming! Star quarterback Carson is down to earth, humble and sweet. All he longs for is a family and forever love like his parents. He has a secret crush on his friends sister and what do ya know she has one too on him. Throw in a brand new baby and comedy and love soon follow. It’s funny reading Carson step up to the plate but of course he’s clueless. Abby saves the day so many times, Carson stays indebted to her. Perfect setup for romantic food and quality time. This was a lovable frie ...more
Phillys James
Jul 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Carson and Abby are so cute with each other and this is a great read.

I love the way that Carson took to being father and how he wasn't afraid of asking for help. Beth seems like she is a joy and it is great to see the love everyone has for her.

Abby is such a wonderful woman and I felt bad that her and Carson were both living unsure of the other person's feelings. I was glad that they were able to find their way to each other and make a life together. I understand the way that Trevor reacted to t
Kristen Rose
Jun 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
ADORABLY PERFECT

Carson is everything you could want in a man. He's responsible, thoughtful, family-centered, funny, hot; the baby is a ten-pound plus. Abby is the sweetest, I'm beyond happy the two finally did something about their years of pining and affection. This was such a wholesome read, and I personally vote Nug as baby of the year! Looking forward to the next book in the Single Dad's Romance Series!
Kimhe Rockchicks
Jun 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow!!! I loved this book. A perfect addition to this series.

Sexy single dad Carson gets the surprise of his life when he ends up with a little baby girl on his doorstep... he needs all the help he can get and who better than Abby his best friends little sister who just happens to be the women of his dreams. You can't help but fall in love with these two.

A slow burn hot as hades romance that will have your kindle on fire.
LLS
Jun 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was another solid offering from this series! Carson is a professional football player and Abby is the team photographer. Both have feelings for each other but neither will act on it. Carson gets a surprise package in form of a baby and he is drowning in what to do. Abby helps him out and sparks begin to fly. I enjoyed their story but I really enjoyed reading how they worked together for the good of the child.

Thank you for the privilege of reading this book! Well done
Latifa Morrisette
Jun 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Flag On The play is book five in the Single Dads Romance a d it is,such a fun book to read. This is a single dad/best friend's sister trips that I absolutely loved. Carson is a professional football player whose life took a turn when a precious newborn entered his life. Abby is a team photographer and is the object of Carson's crush. This book is heartwarming and such a cute read. I can't wait to read more. ...more

• There's More To It (Single Dad's Romance, #4)
  • Minor Trouble (Single Dad's Romance, #7)
  • Whiskey and Sunset Nights
  • His Moonflower (Single Dad's Romance, #3)
  • Then I Saw You
  • Savannah's Salvation (Single Dad's Romance, #1)
  • Kiss of Life (Kiawah Kisses Series, #2)
  • My Lucky #13 (Hockey Hotties, #1)
  • Open Lanes (Mooseheads Hockey #1)
  • Knocked Up by the Doctor
  • Infamous Love (Mountain Haven #1)
  • Ryder's Claim: A Dark Mafia Romance (Mafia Heirs Book 2)
  • Call Out (The Everyday Heroes World)
  • Always and Forever (Dogwood Cove, #1)
  • Jock Royal (Jock Hard, #4)
  • The Forever Plan (Landry Love, #3)
  • Defensive Zone (San Francisco Strikers #8)
  • Living at 40 (Lakeside Cottage, #1)
Kay Gordon is a married, mother of two living near the west coast. She spends her days teaching young, impressionable minds in public school and evenings typing away furiously once her children are in bed. She loves to take her characters on a journey, making that happy ending even better!
Her favorite genre to read is Contemporary Romance but won’t hesitate to try anything with promise. One of her

News & Interviews

It's been a great summer for book clubs on Goodreads. There's nothing better than talking about books—members have been devouring...