Start by marking “Something Queer is Going On (Something Queer Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Something Queer is Going On (Something Queer Mysteries, #1)

Something Queer is Going On

(Something Queer #1)

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Jill and Gwen do some sleuthing when Jill's basset hound disappears.
Published June 15th 1982 by Yearling (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Something Queer is Going On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Queer is Going On

YoSafBridg
May 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Once upon a time, a long time ago, in a kingdom far, far away, when i was but a young girl...

My mother was working for her Educational Psycology PhD advisor (for the dissertation that was forever in progress but never materialized because of the independent child she was raising all by herself~among other things) in a private consultation business. I would go to their testing center while she worked and play for hours among the educational toys/testing equpment or read the library books/assesmen
Coach D
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Coach by: Meghann
Shelves: my-library
A blast from Mommy's past!
Rachael
Jul 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, kids-books
I adore this book: Jill, with her worrying and her love for her dog; Gwen, with her rational, logical thinking and the tapping of the braces; Fletcher, with his laziness and world-map-fur. And, of course, the world's most awesome series title! Gerstein's illustrations, with their identifying labels, are amusing without being cutesy. The girls are great role models - believable, independent, funny. I am trying to collect the whole series, though it's been somewhat slow going.
Heather
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Bought it for the title in the hopes of a ridiculous tale, or maybe some kitsch.... Not so much.
Katie Fitzgerald
I loved this picture book mystery series as a kid, more for the pictures than anything else. This is the first book of the series and it wasn't as exciting as I remembered. Even the pictures, which are labeled like diagrams, didn't seem as detailed as I expected based on my memories. (I think the books I liked best may have come later in the series.) In any case, I think this book is best-suited to independent readers, and I haven't tried reading it or any of the other titles we own from this se ...more
Starfury10
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I still have my copy of this book from when my mother had enrolled me in the Weekly Readers' book club. I read that book over and over, mainly for the amazing illustrations, but always switching my opinion as to whether I identified more with Jill or Gwen as they took different approaches to trying to solve the mystery of Jill's missing dog.

And yet, I had no idea there was a whole series by the same team! Time to go scavenging used-book stores and eBay!
Rena Sherwood
One of the first mysteries I ever read -- and also one of the best dog stories I've ever read. This is one of those childhood books which I wish I'd kept. Of course, back then the word "queer" only meant "strange." The characters are delightfully quirky. The illustrations are great. Highly recommended for all ages.
Amanda Lyons
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents with kids about 5-12
Just got this today for my son Nikki and me through Ebay and we both loved it! Classic 70s/80s mystery book for kids. It's the first in a series about two girls and their dog that solve mini mysteries in their town. They're quirky and very enjoyable from the story to the classic art. Still a great read after all these years.
Kathleen
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites-of-all
Love this book! I always loved the way the main character would tap her braces while she was thinking. Little did I know that as a full grown adult I would actually end up wearing braces! And you know that I totally do that move!
Penny
Jan 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This was a childhood favorite of mine. I plan to collect the series as my son absolutely adores Fletcher and the gang. A wonderfully written and illustrated series!
Destinee Sutton
Oct 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I haven't seen this book since I was little, but I remember loving the heck out of it.
Lamia
May 11, 2012 added it
loved this book when I was a kid!!!
Theresa
Nov 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, mystery
one of my all time favorites. I could read this book today and still smile. And now because of good reads I see it is a series! Swoons!
Erica
Oct 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this series as a kid.
CyaNyDiA
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book when I was a little girl. A couple of years ago I ordered a copy for my kids. It is one of my prized possessions.
Sean Hoade
I erred this book EVERY DAY in fifth grade!
HeavyReader
Jan 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Another in the "Something Queer" series. Another of my childhood favorites.
Myles
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It was awesome because it's a mystery and their is a chubby dog.
Amanda Becker wood
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I had this book as a child and loved it! I just recently found it on eBay.
Mark
Samantha
Nov 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Girl Called Al
  • Dorrie and the Blue Witch (Dorrie the Little Witch, #2)
  • Georgie (Georgie The Ghost, #1)
  • George
  • Baby-Sitting Is a Dangerous Job
  • Fat Men From Space
  • For Laughing Out Loud: Poems to Tickle Your Funnybone
  • Clever Beatrice
  • Findus und der Hahn im Korb
  • The Man Who Didn't Wash His Dishes
  • Max's Breakfast
  • Free to Be...You and Me (The Original Classic Edition)
  • A Picnic with Monet
  • Dinner with OLIVIA
  • Maisy Goes to the Hospital: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • My Teacher Sleeps in School
  • Diamantmysteriet (LasseMajas detektivbyrå, #1)
  • Yours Till Niagara Falls, Abby
Elizabeth Levy has been writing and publishing books for over thirty years and sometimes now she meets kids whose parents read her books when they were children! She has written over 80 books, a number that continues to surprise her, as it surprises her how long she's been at it.

Over the years they've printed lots of her books - over five million of them.

She loves to try writing different types of

Something Queer (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Something Queer at the Ball Park (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 2)
  • Something Queer at the Library (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 3)
  • Something Queer on Vacation: A Mystery (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 4)
  • Something Queer at the Haunted School (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 5)
  • Something Queer at the Lemonade Stand (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 6)
  • Something Queer in Rock 'N' Roll (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 7)
  • Something Queer at the Birthday Party (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 8)
  • Something Queer in Outer Space (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 9)
  • Something Queer in the Cafeteria (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 10)
  • Something Queer at the Scary Movie (Something Queer Mysteries, Book 11)