Start by marking “It's OK If You Don't Love Me” as Want to Read:
It's OK If You Don't Love Me

It's OK If You Don't Love Me

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  413 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
New Yorker Jody has what she thinks is a very liberated view of sex, while Midwesterner Lyle still thinks love means having to say you're sorry. "The trauma and confusion of the sexual coming-of-age by a liberated woman is presented with skill and understanding."-- "Library Journal"
Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Published March 12th 1986 by Fawcett Books (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about It's OK If You Don't Love Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's OK If You Don't Love Me

AE
May 31, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Omg, if only life was a easy as a sheepskin coat and as carefree as a 18 year old behind swaggering in the air. Klein's protagist Jody is probably the most amazing YA protag. She's cheeky, slutty, nerdy, bossy and despite being so beyond her years she is still so teendreamqueen. The book is supposedly a look at modern love (complete with bellbottoms and outdoor hippie concerts) between two very different teens. It changed my life. I wanted to find some 18 year old boy to corrupt (uh, when I was ...more
Carin
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was my absolute favorite Norma Klein book as a teenager, so I was nervous upon rereading. I think it's because I really identified with Jody. She's not one of those people who just goes around spouting off the first thing on her mind, but she's very truthful, even if the truth will hurt. Lyle is such a sweet, caring guy. At the time I first was reading this, I was really into tennis too, which features a lot in the book. None of these books are very dated though as Ms. Klein rarely mentions ...more
Kasia
Jun 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: youngadult
This is a really sweet, complicated story about first love. Classic Norma Klein.

In retrospect, it's probably better that I did not read these Klein novels in my youth. I think I would have had boyfriend expectations that were all kinds of unrealistic for high school. Kind, sweet, feminist, attractive, supersmart boys who love you for your complex personality? Pretty sure we didn't have those where I grew up.

I hated that Jo cheated on Lyle, though. I didn't really get that.
Clementine
Apr 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, ya, 2011
Jody considers herself a native New Yorker and believes herself to be fairly liberated. When she meets Lyle, a corn-fed boy from the Midwest, she realizes that not everyone is as open-minded as she is. The two of them begin a tentative relationship, though, and find themselves falling in love for the first time.

Norma Klein’s quiet, exploratory novel about first love and coming of age in the 1970s is extremely subtle. It’s quiet and often understated, and while the story’s protagonist is a smart,
Joe
Feb 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I've just re-read this book, which I've read maybe 3 times over the last 30 years. Each time, I've loved it. If you like character-driven fiction, this is as good as it gets. If you like Norma Klein, this is her best. Too bad that it's stuck in the YA ghetto. I'm now a 64-year-old guy, and I find it perfectly satisfying as an adult book about two teens, first love, a clash of cultures (middle class Ohio versus Jewish Manhattan) with a nice story arc with a touching ending. Judged as an adult tit ...more
Sasquatch
Though this book was published in the 70s, I found a lot of the topics were still relevant today, such as the stigma around women having sex, healthy relationships and parent-child relationships.
The discussions about sex among her and her classmates seemed very accurate and realistic. A variety of attitudes were presented from different characters.
The characters all seemed very detailed and well thought out. I loved the emphasis on parent-child relationships. As a teenager, the way Jody related
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
I'd never heard of Norma Klein before, but an article in BITCHfest: Ten Years of Cultural Criticism from the Pages of Bitch Magazine extolling her virtues convinced me to check her out.

There wasn't a huge amount of plot in this one, but the characters were interesting and real, and while it was obvious this book was written in the seventies, most of it is still widely applicable today.

And the virtues Bitch discussed were all there: the way female sexual desire is presented as normal and natural,
Radhika Breaden
Feb 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I found this book instrumental as I was growing up and I appreciate it each time I re-read it. Essentially, Jodi, as sophisticated as she is by her life in New York, still has to establish her independence and grow up through her own experiences with respect to her ideas on gender relations and the role of women (especially as her absent father has affected her) as well as her evolving sexual relationship with Lyle. I find it refreshing to see a teen female character who loves science and wants ...more
della
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My aunt bought me this book at the mall in Couer d'Alene, Idaho at a bookstore that no longer exists. She bought it because I was staying the weekend of my high school prom with her. My boyfriend and I had broken up right before the prom...after I had the dress, the shoes, etc. At least my cousin Bridget wore the dress (she was invited to the prom at the last minute!). I don't know if it was the circumstances, the story or what but I loved the book then and still do. I still have the original co ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
I remember being pretty surprised that this YA book had sex in it. I believe this is the one where they have sex on the bathroom floor. I think it was too mature for me. Not a favorite from my reading as a kid.
Kyla
Jul 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I read this as a teen and really liked it , this time around I didn't like it so much , the main character was so self absorbed and not very likeable it made it hard to enjoy the book, I had nothing in common with her at all
Reba
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked this! I mean yes, I know it's somewhat dated, but the characters are still relatable and the content is surprisingly relevant. I loved how realistic it was, and even when there was drama, it wasn't overblown or senseless.
Tracy
Can't rate this one. It is so of a particular time and place, it just doesn't even make sense. Oh books for teenaged girls of the 70s - you are so earnest.
Corinne
Jul 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
I learned about sex from these books. I loved them in middle school.
Jody
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Linda
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First love.
Holly
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wish I had read it when I was a young adult.
Shani Hilton
Jun 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
I liked it. Jody was an early feminist, for sure.
Eliza
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-paper-book
Read this as a pre-teen. Now again as an adult. Still a good book.
elissa
Very frank. Klein was my favorite author as a young teen.
Tracey Hook
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another great book for the YA reader. Check it out. If you love Judy Blume this is the one to read.
Morgan Valentine
Krista
Sep 28, 2010
Jenia
Jun 30, 2016
  • Can You Sue Your Parents for Malpractice?
  • Sooner or Later
  • My Darling, My Hamburger
  • Pensativa.
  • Dear Lovey Hart, I Am Desperate
  • Light a Single Candle
  • Hangin' Out with Cici
  • Secrets of the Shopping Mall
  • Life Without Friends (Friends, #2)
  • Saturday, the Twelfth of October
  • If I Love You, Am I Trapped Forever?
  • El Zarco
  • Historia sobre un corazón roto... y tal vez un par de colmillos
  • It's Not the End of the World
  • El llamado de la estirpe (El Libro de los Héroes #3)
  • Lo que dure la eternidad
  • Winter Dreams, Christmas Love
  • To Take A Dare
Norma Klein was born in New York City and graduated cum laude and was a member of Phi Beta Kappa from Barnard College with a degree in Russian. She later received her master's degree in Slavic languages from Columbia University.

Ms. Klein began publishing short stories while attending Barnard and since then she had written novels for readers of all ages. The author got her ideas from everyday life
More about Norma Klein...