Start by marking “Investigation, Mediation, Vindication (The Many Travails of John Smith, #1)” as Want to Read:
Investigation, Mediation, Vindication (The Many Travails of John Smith, #1)

Investigation, Mediation, Vindication (The Many Travails of John Smith, #1)

The stakes are real. The mediator isn't.

An exiled vampire queen.

A vegetable demigod.

A magic Nintendo.

When supernatural forces collide, it will take a skilled mediator to keep their conflict from destroying San Diego.

Unfortunately, all they have is John Smith.
Kindle Edition
Published March 2021 by Ghost Falls Press

To ask other readers questions about Investigation, Mediation, Vindication, please sign up.
Chris Tullbane
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Chris Tullbane She definitely will be! She and John will continue to get into trouble together for many books to come. :)

Start your review of Investigation, Mediation, Vindication (The Many Travails of John Smith, #1)
Jenna
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley and author Chris Tullbane for allowing me to read this book in return for my honest review.

4+ stars. Investigation, Mediation, Vindication is a comedy urban fantasy book, which to be honest, is not my usual reading. However Chris Tullbane has knocked it out of the park with this one. Wacky and hilarious, I highly recommend this book.

The story centres around haphazard private investigator, John Smith who unwittingly finds himself mediating between a house of noble Vampires
Kristine
Investigation, Mediation, Vindication by Chris Tullbane is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in early June.

In a voice of nerdywitty happenstance, a guy, John Smith, is hired to be a tender for a hoard of vampires - like What We Do in the Shadows, but with John as more bumbling and the vampires a lot less dignified.
Tayler
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Valerie - Cats Luv Coffee
Investigation, Mediation, Vindication (I'm already tired of typing that) is comedic urban fantasy gold. The story follows private investigator hopeful John Smith, who has an unfortunate genealogy of a long line of John Smiths. Let's be honest; there's a lot of unfortunates about John Smith. He still lives with his parents, he hasn't had a girlfriend in years (might be due to #1), and he's just found himself caught up in a potential war between a noble vampire House and the demigod of nightmares. ...more
Ziggy Nixon
May 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, living or dead (and all points in between)
Recommended to Ziggy by: Kindle Unlimited Offer
Updated Apr.27, 2021, after my 2nd reading in prep'n for "John Smith #2"
So much funnier the 2nd time around! I continue to be a YUGE fan of CT's writing style - so fluid without any hint of overdramatization and chock full of humo(u)r! Funny, funny stuff with some honest-to-goodness real life vampire and 'other' goodness thrown in to boot! Without succumbing to unnecessary aggrandizement, this is the best urban fantasy I've enjoyed in a long time and certainly any without giant Space Turtles inv
Anjana
Oct 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are weird and wacky stories, and there are those that work well only in that exact combination. When I started reading this book, I found it entertaining. The deeper I got into the story, the narration had me laughing out loud so many times!

It is probably hard to believe, but I found this book about an average private detective getting caught up in an underworld infested with ‘magical creatures’ in San Diego hilarious.
It starts off innocuously enough with our Mr John Smith walking sedately
Dharshani
May 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phoebe
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to Netgalley and author Chris Tullbane for an ARC of this book for an honest review!
°。°。°。Summary°。°。°。
Investigation, Mediation, Vindication by Chris Tullbane is a fun and hilarious fantasy novel that sweeps you away into lovable main characters John Smith's thoughts and feelings as he tries to navigate a fantasy world full of creatures he never knew existed. Its a comedy book, and I often found myself laughing out loud at John's quips.
John Smith, a PI in San Diego, takes out a dun
Kerri Davidson
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I purchased this book expecting a silly story. Instead I got… well, a silly story. BUT all the sillys and crazys are blended together to create the perfect paranormal mystery humor book. I had no idea such a thing existed. Yes, I used the P word and I will be using it again.

Basically, John Smith has a few too many drinks and places an ad in the yellow pages for his services: Investigation, Mediation, Vindication. Enter the killer crabs. And the vampires. And the demigod of nightmares and terror.
Jacque
The Many Travails of John Smith is my new favorite series!!!! I actually read the second book in the series first after I discovered Blood is Thicker Than Lots of Stuff on NetGalley. I enjoyed that book so much that I just had to start from the beginning, So, I immediately grabbed Investigation, Mediation, Vindication and jumped in. Wheee!!!!

An exiled vampire queen. A vegetable demigod. A magic Nintendo. A skilled mediator. Well, 3 out of 4 ain’t bad.

John Smith (Yes that’s his name) is not havi
Crisna
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks NetGalley and autor Chris Tullbane for allowing me to read the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. I found it a quite enjoyable experience!

I really liked how the book shows a satirical view on the description of the characters. It's funny, but balanced, especially whe the narrative turns to a more serious direction.

I liked the characters, by the way, and John shows a huge evolution throughout the book, without loosing his essence. His self-deprecating way of being funny, pl
Ro
Jun 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thank NetGalley and the publisher for providing me a digital copy of this book.

Actual rate: 3.50 stars

This book wasn't what I expected, but at the same time it was.
Plot-talking, it quite surprised me: knowing that this was a humor book, i didn't expect it to have such a well-thought story, with interesting worldbuilding and characters.
On the other side, I knew that the "humor" part was going to be a hit or miss (and most probably the latter), but fortunately it was enough entertaining to mak
Sauarvs
Nov 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic read

Definitely a recommend. Has everything from humor to fantastic characters. You will not be disappointed. For fan’s of Bill the Vampire and Fred from Drew Hayes series.
Rosava Doshchyk
I've received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for the honest review.

Well, it was OK. I would probably like it more if I was still in the high-school.
'Investigation, Mediation, Vindication' tells us about a 25-year-old private investigator who finds himself in the middle of the conflict of supernatural beings in San Diego. He either resolves this dispute or throws the city into the war between vampires and a demigod of nightmares. And though it's his first experience in the mediation he is goi
Melissa
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Taking place in San Diego, a mid 20s mildly successful PI is accidentally introduced to the hidden supernatural world.

An entertaining read with a likeable protagonist, who changes with his circumstances but manages to retain his human values

I received an ARC from Netgalley. I am leaving my honest review.
Annarella
An excellent urban fantasy according to my heart! It was an engrossing and entertaining read that made me laugh and kept me hooked.
Being a huge fan of The Dresden Files I couldn't help acknowledging the influences and appreciating how the author was able to add his personal touch.
The world building is under development but it promises to be exciting, the characters are well thought and I loved the humour.
It was a fun read that I strongly recommend.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for t
D L
May 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Within the first couple of pages of Investigation, Mediation, Vindication I was seeing the influence of Jim Butcher's Dresden series and to some extent Wilkie Martin's Inspector Hobbes books. An urban fantasy where characters are completely unaware of the existence of supernatural beings who are faster and stronger than humans but still seem to hide in the background. Upon finishing the book, Chris Tullbane confirms he wrote this as a first draft back in 2003, a couple of years after the first D ...more
CJ
I'm not sure if lately my general mood of ennui is due to the current world COVID pandemic, but most things I've picked up lately have been dull, uninspiring, and just a wee bit meh. But then I came across this one and it absolutely made my day. It was silly, irreverent and just a whole lot of fun!

It might be a familiar formula: under-achieving slacker PI saves the day from supernatural forces, but it is very worthy of your reading time. Will definitely be picking up any sequels.

Recommended for
Brian Mcclain
May 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was right in line with what I was looking for in terms of a humorous urban fantasy story. It started a little funnier than I expected but then that calmed down a bit as the story went on and the tension increased, but it kept that little sense of humor I love when reading.

John Smith is a PI, who listed himself as a potential mediator which means something entirely different in the supernatural realm he wasn't aware of previously. He's not "special" but has a couple tricks under his sl
Sam
Dec 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LMAOOOO. I went into this book having no idea what to expect. I found a kindred spirit in the self-deprecating MC, John and the various and hilarious beatings and tribulations he faces throughout the novel. Excellent, well-rounded characters, and all their interactions left me highly amused (mahogony! the ham!)

And this was before we got to our scene-stealing demi-god. After that it was game over, I couldn't stop reading. My only gripe is MORE BILL!!!
Lyssa
Apr 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you to NetGalley for providing this book for review

Another main character that fumbles their way through things that could be dangerous and comes out no worse for wear on the other side. Sigh. The second half improved over the the first as there was less 'slacker dude' vibe from John (tho it never entirely disappears). Also, Bill is pretty dang cool and turned things around for me when I was about ready to DNF this.
Simon
Very amusing. Liked the heart of it (demigod & girl), all the details, John's relationship with the different vampires. Humor often broad, sometimes sly, but a constant throughout. Curious to read more, curious to know more about John and his nature. ...more
Christopher N
Sep 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book

Good plot and a excellent mix of humor, drama and suspense. Looking forward to the next one. I just wish it was sooner.
Heather
Michael Kelly
Feb 11, 2021
Delbert Anderson
Apr 14, 2021

• The Sheep Dragon (The Unconventional Heroes Series Side Stories Book 2)
  • Bones of the Past (Villains' Code, #2)
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • Golden in Death (In Death, #50)
  • Darkdawn (The Nevernight Chronicle, #3)
  • Erratic (Arcane Mage, #3)
  • Nevernight (The Nevernight Chronicle, #1)
  • Safe Haven
  • My Favorite Souvenir
  • These Witches Don't Burn (These Witches Don't Burn, #1)
  • Inherited Luck (Twisted Luck Book 4)
  • The Last Song
  • Message in a Bottle
  • Rabbit the Barbarian (Waldo Rabbit #5)
  • The Never Army (Chronicles Of Jonathan Tibbs, #3)
  • Lt. Reilly 2321: (Lt. Reilly book #1)
  • Opal (The Raven Cycle, #4.5)
  • The Confessions of Frannie Langton
Chris began as a gleam in someone’s eye, but birth and childhood were quick to follow. He’s been fortunate enough to live in Spain, Germany, and all over the United States of America, and is busy planning a tour of the distilleries of Scotland.

He currently lives in Nevada with his angelic wife and ever-expanding whisky collection and occasionally ventures outside to peer upwards, mutter to himself