Start by marking “Do Princesses Scrape Their Knees?” as Want to Read:
Do Princesses Scrape Their Knees?

Do Princesses Scrape Their Knees?

(Princesses)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  168 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
"When I grow up can I be sporty like you? You can do anything you set your mind to." This is NOT your average big-sister princess! This active princess plays soccer, does yoga, falls on the ice, and scrapes her knobby knees while showing her little brother how to be sporty, too. This charming story helps children see that it's okay to fall down and scrape their knees when ...more
Published July 1st 2006 by Cooper Square Pub

To ask other readers questions about Do Princesses Scrape Their Knees?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Do Princesses Scrape Their Knees?

Michelle
Oct 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: jess
Summary:
This is NOT your average princess! This active princess plays soccer, does yoga, falls on the ice, and scrapes her knobby knees. This charming story, by the author of the runaway hit Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?, helps children see that it's okay to fall down and scrape their knees when trying something new. It's the trying and the fun that count! Through belly-flops and missed baskets, our princess discovers that doing your best is all that really matters—even when your little brot
Dolly
Jan 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun and humorous romp through a day with a brother and a sister. They are outside, playing games, swimming at the pool, skating at an ice rink, even doing yoga indoors. I love the rhythmic and rhyming narrative and the depictions of two very active children. It also offers a strong message of encouragement, that "You can do anything you set your mind to."

Carly Brown
For Jacque's Award

Level: Early

Genre: Picture Book

Topic: Modern Princesses in the form of all little girls

Curricular Use: Shared Reading

Social: Doing anything that you set your mind to, all little girls are princesses who are strong and free

Literary Elements: Rhyming, humor

Strong Interaction between the pictures and text
Kristen
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
This was just another "meh" book. I have a hard time getting behind these books because of their titles. Only one part actually was about scraping her knees. It should have been called something like "Princesses play with their little brothers". That's what the book was actually about...
Mary
Nov 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-books
I liked this one better than the hiking title...
Dianna
Jan 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is one of the worse picture books I have seen. Not only is the font on the front cover atrocious, but the text inside didn't even make sense to me. The pictures were so-so. Moving on . . .
jennifer
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very cute. Nice interaction between the brother and sister.
Dbennett20
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book that my seven year old picked out to read. She loved it.
Cherie
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Copyright: 2006
Genre: realistic fiction
Thoughts: Good story about the princess/tomboy playing with her brother.
Hollie Hancock
May 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Can you tell I am a fan of these books?
Clwseattle
Oct 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Cute book with awesome illustrations
Erik
Feb 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-children
Fun rhyming book with a little boy wanting to be just like his older sister.
Amy Lafleur
A little girl pretends to be a princess. This rhyming tale is part of series and is "saccharine sweet," but will definitely appeal to fans of princess stories.
Ezekiel
I saw this today and bought it as soon as I read it. Too often (certainly for myself this is more true than I'd like) there is a reflexive dislike of femininity and the expression of it. Many feminist parents desperately try to keep their daughters from going through a princess phase. But femininity isn't the problem! It's in fact the demonization of it and the lack of respect for those who embrace it that is. So this book does a good job of showing a kid who identifies as a princess, and as rel ...more
Amanda
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature-class
Far to often, little girls are categorized as either tomboys or "girly girls." This book shows young girls that they do not have to fit into a preordained category. This book shows young girls that they can simultaneously be a princess and a tomboy. This is also an important read for young boys because it shows them that "playing like a girl" is not something that girls should be ashamed of.

In addition to breaking down gender stereotypes, this book also shows children the importance of grit. Th
Miri
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Not bad... These books show "princesses" doing all kinds of things, and I love that the little brother wants to be "sporty" like his big sister when he grows up. I'm just not a fan of the whole princess thing to begin with, and the colors are very gender-segregated (she's always wearing pink and purple, he's in yellows and blues). Nice enough book, but it doesn't make my list of princess books to recommend.
Shelly Itkin
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is adorably written for young children to enjoy. Yes girls do play soccer, do yoga, fall and scrape there knees and even ice skate or help to shoot a hoop. The illustrations are lovely and make the story even more enjoyable. Girls can do anything they put there minds to and as a bonus the author has included a pink "special" ribbon for your own Princess.
Great way to teach young girls not to be afraid and try things that they think are more for boys.
Elizabeth
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
This sister is a great role model to her little brother. She is a sporty little princess that is not afraid to try new things. Among her activities is playing soccer, riding bicycles, skating, ice skating,and doing yoga. A little scrape won't stop her. Her brother wants to be just like her when he grows up. Read to find out what her brother dreams of accomplishing one day.
Mariah
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book a cute book that girls can relate to. The illustrations are fun to look at too. The speaker's response to everything is funny so I like to have the kids who can't read yet guess what she will say next.
Amy
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Can't say I love the series, but if your child is into "princess culture," then, by all means...
The author has some very clever rhyming verse, with a plucky main character.
Mike Gordon
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow, there were solo many!
Lauren
Jul 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skylar
really liked this series and my daughter was really interested in them.
Mandy
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This series is great for big sisters and for the girl who is an active princess. My niece loves them and I recommend for any little girl.
Susan
Jul 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, storybook
I'm not sure about this one. I like the idea of it but it somehow just did not sit right with me. Because I cannot explain why that is, I split the difference and gave three stars.
Liza Gilbert
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are cute, as are the words. It seems overly cute and a little too precious. The rhymes are off in places, but for the princess-loving picture book crowd, this might just be fine.
Jessica
  • Tough Chicks
  • My Name Is Not Isabella
  • The Quiltmaker's Journey
  • I Like Old Clothes
Carmela LaVigna Coyle's first book, Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots? is enjoyed by little princesses everywhere. And now there are several Do Princess titles to choose from. She writes from her studio in Colorado with a puppy on her lap, and beside a wall of glass "to better see the seasons."

Carmela wrote her first story, "Forget-Me-Not," when she was ten-years-old. She hasn't forgotten it... she

Princesses (7 books)
  • Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?
  • Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs?
  • Do Princesses Count?
  • Do Princesses Have Best Friends Forever?
  • Princesses Rule!: Three Not-So-Typical Princess Stories
  • Do Princesses Make Happy Campers?