Start by marking “Mindful Motherhood: Practical Tools for Staying Sane During Pregnancy and Your Child's First Year” as Want to Read:

From hormones to stretch marks, labor pains to diaper changes, motherhood is an adventure like none other. The rapid changes in your body, your lifestyle, and your very identity call for a certain mental agility. Mindfulness can help you meet the challenge and approach every experience with your new baby with open eyes and an open heart.

Easy ten-minute meditation exercises
Published May 1st 2009 by New Harbinger Publications

To ask other readers questions about Mindful Motherhood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mindful Motherhood

Demi
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is an ideal read if you're a Mum-to-be or a Mum with a young baby in desperate need of mindfulness to help you keep grounded. I picked up this book when my own baby was 4 months old. I was desperately sick of baby sleep books and expert-opinions. What I really needed were simply some tools to help me navigate the ups-and-downs (and the unexpected!) of being a first time Mum.

I found the book very well structured and quite easy to read (essential when you're sleep deprived!). It offers a love
Meagen
Jan 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
As the author claims, the chapters are short enough to read during the average breastfeeding session. (Unfortunately, my milk let-down was really strong, plus I had a huge oversupply of milk, so I had to use two hands to breastfeed for the entire 8 months we breastfed. TMI probably, but that's why I didn't quite finish the book.)

I benefitted from the more frequent but very bite-sized reminders to practice mindfulness. My son's first year was absolute hell for us. He had one of the worst cases o
Sylvie Barak
Dec 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a bit repetitive, but the underlying message was solid and helpful. As a beginner to the mindfulness journey, I enjoyed the simplicity of it and the easy exercises. I’d recommend it to other new mums, though it’s probably worth more of a skim than a thorough read... which, to be honest, is probably all a very new mum has time for anyway!
Carly
Nov 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Comforting to read, valuable for folks who are new to mindfulness, but this is really basic Mindfulness 101. I'm really well-versed in mindfulness and Buddhist literature, and was hoping to find something specifically tailored to pregnancy/motherhood that told me something new. This wasn't it.
Hilary
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Nice quick read. I didn't practice many of the mindfulness techniques it suggested, but I am inspired to start. It seemed pretty repetitive, but I think that was deliberate.
Katieloowho
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
a little repetitive, but i really enjoyed it!
Karen
Feb 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: educational
I added this because it was a project of the Institute of Noetic Science that I learned about in Dan Brown's latest book. It's pretty repetitive if you just sit down and read it. But I really liked a lot of the thinking and meditating skills, they are life applicable, not just useful with a new baby.
Might be better to read one chapter at a time over a few months if you are really trying to use it in your life.
Bucket
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty simple and a lot of common sense, but many of the exercises are helpful in practicing these habits. I also really appreciated the section on the five things are thoughts are doing (and why) which really helped to shed some light on how to better use thoughts for guidance without letting them take over.
Tara
Apr 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As a person who has dealt with periods of anxiety, this book was just what I needed to put my mind and heart in the proper perspective with the upcoming birth of our new baby. It has even helped me overcome insomnia. Even if you're not a mother, the practice of mindfulness is something that every person could benefit by learning about.
Chessa
Aug 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really loved what I read of this book. I checked it out of the library and wanted to savor it, which meant I put off reading it too long and had to return it (other folks had it on hold, so I couldn't renew). But my short perusal convinced me it is one worth having on my keeper bookshelf!
Mindy
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: moms open to Eastern ideas who aren't practicing Buddhists
Definitely sold me on the concept of mindfulness. This is a great intro for a mom looking for focus. I will definitely be reading more about mindfulness/Buddhism. Highly recommended to other moms/moms-to-be.
Toni
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love, love, love this book! Oh, how I wish I would have had this book when I was pregnant with my first child. I have recently become interested in mindfulness and becoming a more patient mom and found this book. It is SO helpful (and my youngest is 6 years old). I love it.
Lisa
May 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: parenting, nonfiction
I read this one slowly so I could start using what I learned as I read. This had lots of useful stuff--and not just for the parts of my life where I'm in a mom role.
Lauren Tomlinson
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was not at all what I'd expected and didn't really think it was all that helpful.
Kristin
Deepali Rai
Aug 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • This Isn't What I Expected: Overcoming Postpartum Depression
  • Itsy Bitsy Yoga: Poses to Help Your Baby Sleep Longer, Digest Better, and Grow Stronger
  • Equally Shared Parenting: Rewriting the Rules for a New Generation of Parents
  • The War on Moms: On Life in a Family-Unfriendly Nation
  • Buddhism for Mothers: A Calm Approach to Caring for Yourself and Your Children
  • The Big Book of Birth
  • The Mindful Woman: Gentle Practices for Restoring Calm, Finding Balance, and Opening Your Heart
  • Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting
  • Calm and Compassionate Children: A Handbook
  • Beautiful Babies: Nutrition for Fertility, Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, and Baby's First Food
  • The Pregnancy Bible: Your Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • Mommy Mantras: Affirmations and Insights to Keep You From Losing Your Mind
  • Consuming Kids: The Hostile Takeover of Childhood
  • Young at Art: Teaching Toddlers Self-Expression, Problem-Solving Skills, and an Appreciation for Art
  • Your Amazing Newborn
  • The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Method for Finding the Perfect Name for Your Baby
  • The Prism and the Pendulum: The Ten Most Beautiful Experiments in Science