Start by marking “Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker” as Want to Read:
Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker

Debbie does crochet! Debbie Stoller, the “knitting superstar,” has been leading an entire movement of hip young knitters with her New York Times bestseller Stitch ’n Bitch and its follow-up, Stitch ’n Bitch Nation, together with over 521,000 copies in print. But guess what? For every one knitter in the world there are three crocheters—which translates into millions of hip, ...more
Published February 13th 2006 by Workman Publishing Company (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet

Start your review of Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker
Anna Hiller
Dec 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crochet fanatics of the world
Shelves: crafts, crochet
A good book for a skinny bitch if you're interested in crocheting clothes. Debbie Stoller's book tends to be a little bit size-ist, but that's pretty standard for pattern books these days. Still, the accessories are *great* and very fun to crochet. I did the "First Aid Purse" for my cousin Alex who's going to nursing school, and it was a huge hit. In general, I'd say it's a book worth owning, at any stage or skill level. Stoller has chosen designs that are attractive and entertaining, some very ...more
Endrina
Sep 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Endrina by: Beginning crocheters in particular
I got this book yesterday, and cannot put it down. I started crocheting a month ago, confused but determined to learn. The last day I have had more epiphanies regarding crocheting - all thanks to this book. As Debbie Stoller says herself, many books on crocheting are more confusing than helpful, lacking basic information such as the fact that one usually crochets through the *two* top loops (and not one, as I did for my first month of crocheting - believing I was doing it correctly). Debbie has ...more
Joi
Aug 16, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: wannabe crafters
I adore this book. If you want to learn to crochet, or, if you've already got the basics, or heck, if you're really flippin' good and just want a project to work on, this is the book for you. I've gotten several people "hooked" on crochet via this book. One caveat, if you have an early printing, there may be some errors, but you can go to Debbie Stoller's website, and all edits are posted.
Cat
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book has been invaluable to me while I have been learning the basics of crochet and expanding my skills. I bought the book already knowing the basic chain, single and double crochet stitches and the lengthy primer with diagrams and photos helped me put that knowledge into context and build upon it. After a few scarves and a beanie hat I tried making granny squares which led to an afghan.

I'm currently working on the Short 'n Sweet bolero which, while more advanced than anything I have tried
Rikki
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, crafty
If you are a beginning crocheter this is the perfect book for you. It explains all stitches in detail. In fact, it is the only crochet book I have ever come across that explains where exactly to put your needle and which strand(s) to pick up. It talks about tools, different kinds of yarn and techniques. It shows you how to crochet buttons and button holes, adding tassels, making pompons and how to finish your work with easy to follow instructions and clear illustrations.
The second part is a numb
Marley
Jul 23, 2007 rated it liked it
I just made the mohair capelet thingie and it's pretty nice but it's a little weird in the back because it's increased all around so the back isn't flat. I get cranky when patterns could be better. But, it's my first finished crochet thing and I used dc, tr, made shells... and it only took 2 days. Go me! The instructions in the front of this book are awesome for reference. My hand hurts now, though. Might make one of the cardigans but I'm wary of patterns that require one to make several pieces ...more
Tasha
Oct 22, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
A good book for someone beginning crochet or someone a little bit advanced. Check the errata before starting any projects. It's riddled with mistakes.
Cheri
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've had the knitting version for years - even though I've not caught the knitting bug - but hadn't read the crochet one. Picked it up through Kindle Unlimited and zoomed through it. Really enjoyed the historical information. That was my favorite part. I can't see myself making anything from the patterns included but still enjoyed the book.
Helen
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good started book. Breaks things down really well!
Asia
Jun 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent example of what a craft book in general should be; it's clearly written and easy to understand without being patronizing, while still retaining a sense of humor to keep it from degenerating into a droning, textbookish monologue.

The illustrations are an added perk, and make it easier to understand just what the author is trying to say, which is a must when you're trying to figure out that tricky V-stitch, but they don't clutter the page too much.

The patterns are widely varied
Jessica Armstrong
Mar 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. If there were a better word for it, I would use it - but one doesn't exist so I'm going to make one up: Stupendiferous. Debbie Stoller does it again with her instalment on crochet, adding to her numerous knitting books.

As a complete newbie approaching crochet, it was very daunting until my friend lent me a copy of The Happy Hooker. The diagrams and descriptions are just perfect when you're coming into a new craft like this. I needed things lined up plain and simple, and Sto
MonikaG
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to learn how to crochet
Shelves: favourites
The best crochet book there is! The instructions are super clear - I don't know how Debbie Stoller managed to make what is quite a difficult subject to explain easy to understand, plus it's humorous and there are loads of explanations of many of the types of stitches in crochet.

The book is split into two parts - a section on instructions and then a section on patterns. The only downside to me, if there is one, is that the patterns are not all to my taste, but the instructions in the first half
Maha Ayesh
Aug 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
The title makes the book a little embarrassing to have lying around, but there are a good number of nice patterns that I want to try. Some of the patterns are very odd, too. I haven't tried any yet though, but I have plans to in the near future. The general crochet instructions are clear, too; better than my Jan Eaton book.
Tara
Mar 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: crochet nerds
Shelves: non-fiction
some of the patterns are fucking awesome, and a lot of them are really crappily written and hard to follow. some great ideas and a good collection of the basic info. i need to own this book
Rebekah
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
I learned to crochet from this book. I tried and tried to learn from my mom, but this book taught me all about how to put my nose in the crotch and that it's ok to be a back door betty.
Nadia
Oct 15, 2017 rated it did not like it
It's radical! Not. Oh, how I love the '90s! Not.
Typical "hip" crochet book that's aimed at beginners, it's extremely basic.
The patterns follow the same aesthetics as the knitting book, very cheap-looking and lacking a fashion sense. It feels all around 1990s. Just buy any other crochet book for better everything, a nicer looking book for one.
Anything in the book can be found for free online and YT in much better format, search on Pinterest for some amazing resources.
Kierra
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As terrible as it is, it's been a couple of YEARS (sad face!) since I picked up my hooks, but I've had the itch to do some crochet, and thought I'd pick this up again. Some of the patterns are a bit outdated, but it's still one of the best guides out there for beginner and beyond to learn or refresh the basics and some of the more common and complicated stitches. Funny, with some history too!
Jodi Geever
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Occasionally, I pretend I am crafty. I am not. Of the crochet books I have tried, I have a particular affinity for this series, just because reading it and trying to learn is amusing in itself in the way this series is written.
Lisa Mc lain-sharp
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another win. Very well written with clear instructions for even the most novice crocheter and fun, “not your grandmother’s”,patterns.
Sivyu
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007, craft, diy, crochet
I love the fiber info, how-tos, stitch patterns, and full patterns.
Charlene
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Has a lot of helpful information for beginners. I personally haven't done the patterns but I have learned a lot from the stitching guides in the book. I refer back to it as needed.
Barbara
Dec 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great crochet patterns.
Pamalama Jo
Dec 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good Instructions at the beginning for when I forget how to do a stitch.
Anna
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book with a variety of projects, one of my gifts to myself.
Elle Rush
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lots of easy to understand information, especially in the "learn special stitches" section. Recommended.
Cate
Aug 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone wanting to learn crochet
I’ve been a knitter for many many years, but have always wanted to learn how to crochet but, as my yearly attempts always seemed doomed to failure I was beginning to believe that old saying ‘knitters can’t crochet, and crocheters can’t knit’; until I found this book.

If you are starting from scratch after many frustrating attempts, this is the book for you and is a perfect example of what ‘learn how to’ craft book should be like. Written in a clear and easy to understand manner, which is also l
Lindsay Nichols
Aug 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, crafty
The main reason I bought this particular crochet book was that the patterns were mostly funky and modern. A lot of crochet patterns are stiff and just variations on granny squares. That's nice, if you want to make an afghan that will match your great-aunt's olive and burnt orange living room ensemble that she has remodeled since 1978.

I wanted quirky, sweet, and most of all, easy to follow patterns that I would actually wear out in public! (Fuzz bunny slippers excepted.)

Happily, I have finished a
Christine Jean
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts
I already knew how to crochet when I bought this book. I bought it just for the patterns.There's a pattern for everyone in this book. My favorite pattern is actually not a pattern but a crochet technique and is found in Part I of this delightful, fun, and original book: Hooking Up - Learning To Crochet. So even though I've been crocheting for over 10 years, I am still learning new tricks and techniques.
Part II of this book: Crochet Away - The Patterns, has forty patterns, most of which are very
Leslie
Sep 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Sassy Debbie Stoller has done it again with a book for crocheters and wanna-be crocheters that has all the boldness and excitement of her earlier knitting projects. The stitch instruction section is lively and well illustrated with photos and step-by-step drawings of each stitch progression, and the titles of the sections are are entertaining as they are informative. 40 patterns are included ranging from simple for beginners to advanced for the more skilled. Designs for younger women in particul ...more
Darlene
This is a library book that one of the Hat Huggers members was just returning when I was at the library. It looked like a lot of fun. I didn't read every page because, well, it's patterns. But I copied the pages that I wanted to try for later and I'm returning it back to the library.

What I liked about the book was there was a lot of pictures with a lot of colors which was helpful to my eyes. Each row of a pattern had enough space in between that I knew my eyes wouldn't get lost in the process. A
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Crochet Patterns 6 79 Nov 29, 2015 09:51AM

• Crochet One-Skein Wonders: 101 Projects from Crocheters around the World
  • Creepy Cute Crochet: Zombies, Ninjas, Robots, and More!
  • 200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws, and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix and Match
  • Simple Crocheting: A Complete How-to-Crochet Workshop with 20 Projects
  • The Christmas Pact
  • Complete Crochet Course: The Ultimate Reference Guide
  • Delicious Low Cholesterol Dishes: A Handy Cookbook to Start a Healthier Diet
  • Nifty No Cook Recipes: Make Delicious Dishes without Turning on The Stove
  • The Best of Gourmet 2006: The World at Your Table
  • Cooking Light Annual Recipes 2007: EVERY RECIPE...A Year's Worth of Cooking Light Magazine
  • Libriomancer (Magic Ex Libris, #1)
  • What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
  • Ricky Sticky Fingers
  • The Audubon Backyard Birdwatcher: Birdfeeders and Bird Gardens
  • The New Stokes Field Guide to Birds: Eastern Region
  • Lying Up a Storm
  • Kitty Is Looking For Friends
  • Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Frontlines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture
Stoller is the co-founder, co-owner, and editor-in-chief of the third wave feminist, popular culture magazine Bust magazine.

News & Interviews

“In a book published at the time, a lace manufacturer admitted that he expected his workers to turn a few tricks on the side to make up for his not paying them a living wage. Soon lace, including crocheted lace, began to be seen as morally tainted—it’s made by prostitutes! As Donna Kooler suggests in The Encyclopedia of Crochet, this may even explain how the word “hooker” came to have such wayward connotations.” 1 likes