Start by marking “Stitch 'n Bitch Nation” as Want to Read:
Stitch 'n Bitch Nation

Stitch 'n Bitch Nation

Join the movement! Four million strong and counting, hip, young chicks with sticks are putting a whole new spin on knitting--while turning last fall's Stitch 'n Bitch: The Knitter's Handbook into a surprise national bestseller (from The New York Times to the L.A. Times to BookSense) with 215,000 copies in print. So influential is the book that the number of Stitch 'n Bitch ...more
Published November 1st 2004 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Stitch 'n Bitch Nation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stitch 'n Bitch Nation

Allison
Jan 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
I usually don't put knitting books on the list of books I've read (because does reading K1,P1,*,K2tog,YO,ssk etc. really count as reading?) but this one had lots of other things to read. Each of the 50 patterns included a little bio of the knit designer as well as how the pattern came about. Interspersed throughout are tips like knitting on the airplane, recycling yarn from thrift store sweaters, making needles from chopsticks, splicing yarn, etc. There is also a full section on the many ways yo ...more
Joanie
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2011
Okay, I really haven't "read" this-perused it more like it.

After many years of wheedling, I finally agreed to let my mother teach me to knit. Two days after my crash course (where I started with 42 stitches that have somehow grown to 58) my mother gave me this book. The back has an overview of basic techniques and stitches which my mother thought would be helpful to me. While I can't quite see myself making things like a knitted tankini, a tank top with a mudflap girl, or my own fishnet tights i
Kate
I love it's funky premise and enjoyed all the out of the box designs. Now, I just need to make some of them!
Haka
Aug 05, 2019 added it
It’s at the sad point where it’s painfully outdated, and not yet outdated enough to be a cute, throwback read. The author is totally legit, though.
Antoinette
Jan 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: intermediate knitters, pattern designers, SnB fans, yarn lovers, knitters that understand basics
Recommended to Antoinette by: my mother
Shelves: crafts-and-diy
This year during winter break I decided to make an effort to actually sit down and read through this book. I have had it since it first came out, as the original served as my introduction to knitting. I feel as though I have learned a lot, and I am ready to take on some more advanced projects. That isn't really saying much, because I mostly crochet, but at least I am slightly more interested in taking on some knitting.

Using my handy Ravelry membership, I was able to scout out a bunch of errors i
Peggy
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
The book's title is already indicative that it tries to completely change the public perception that knitting is for grannies. As we know now (this book was published in 2004 - now 10 years ago) - it worked. Or at least I think it did. Knitting is hip again.

My favourite part of the book was the first section where it explains the sizing and how to convert different yarns - basically an idiots guide and the second step once you know the basics of knitting. I also liked the fresh patterns.

I woul
Destiny Dawn Long
As with the first Stitch n Bitch volume, when I purchased this I found it quite helpful, but I feel as though I've outgrown it. Once in a while I will reference it if I need to clarify something in a pattern I'm working. But I also have found better resources now. Some of the patterns in the book are nice, although others seem a bit dated. Many of them also had to have post-publication corrections posted to the book's website, because of errors. I hadn't realized this the first time I tried to w ...more
Lain
Dec 02, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: knit
After falling in love with "Stitch and Bitch," I automatically ordered "Nation." Unfortunately, I returned it soon after I got it. I looked through it and realized there wasn't a single pattern that I would wear.

I am a thirty-something Californian, so I'm not stuffy or ultra-conservative. But this book definitely fell on the other side of the "hip" line from me. I would imagine it would appeal to a certain audience, but I wasn't in it.

The first book had a much wider appeal. I'll be sticking wi
Aug 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Knitters ready for a step up
I bought Stitch n' Bitch Nation after loving the first book so much - there's not much to add in the way of basic knitting information, but it's a great reference for knitters who are ready to get a little more advanced. There are chapters on designing your own projects, and substituting yarn; there are also several more patterns that look less like "I made this myself" and moer like "where did you get that?"
Candace
Dec 20, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any beginning or recovering knitter
bless you, debbie stoller, for giving me the confidence to tear a pattern apart and knit a sweater. *and* for making bust magazine. in all seriousness, the 'stich n' bitch books gave me the itch to pick up my needles and remember what my mom taught me when i was twelve. the patterns aren't my favorite (thus the 4 stars), but as far as knitting books go, the writing is great -- very fun and easy to understand.
Tonileg
Nov 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting-crafts
This book really needs a better directory with photos of the possible knitting patterns, because no one actually reads every page and then memorizes the where each pattern is. I love how Rowan has a photo of each project in the back of the magazine so you can easily find your project when you come back with your yarn.
Beginner book for starting out knitters with a wide range of projects for men, women, children and animals with differnt sized yarns (mostly Aran and DK).
3 stars
Sydney-Michelle
This is one of my favourite knitting---wait, no, one of my favourite CRAFT books of all time. The patterns are fresh and current and fun, and rather simple to follow. I loved the layout of the book, and the colour pictures are gorgeous. I highly reccomend it, even just for the awesome tips you'll pick up through out.
Gabriella
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diy-how-to
This book is a great reference book for anyone who knits! I don't love all of the patterns (though I did bookmark a handful that I really liked), and the information on yarn stores in the back is a bit outdated, but there is some really useful stuff in this book. All of the information in the first part of the book is great for understanding patterns, and customizing/altering patterns and yarn.
Anna
Nov 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
i am a bad knitter because i try to teach myself how to do things as i go along, but i like this book, and currently trying to knit up the baby bunny hat for my new lil niece. the directions are difficult to understand being that i am a novice, so i often have to look up how to do things on youtube. but it's coming along quite well.
angrykitty
Mar 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: random-info-misc
another fun knitting book. i like the cat toys, and have made a few of the mice for my cat. liked this one better than the first due to the fact that there are more colored pics, and i just kind of liked the projects better. truth be told though, i'm way more into crocet than knitting at this point. gotta get the snb crochet book i guess.
Jenny G
Aug 26, 2007 rated it it was ok
not the most substantial knitting book in the world. it does transcend the granny patterns that we used to be stuck with before knitting became all the rage, but there are a lot of other books that can do that. You put your heart and soul into what you knit. Why make something that is going to date itself within months of it's completion?
Emily
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won this book from a Good Reads giveaway. This book is great. I am a novice at knitting and really only loom knit but I can't wait to try out these patterns. The directions seem easy enough. My sister is going to make the Joey Ramone doll for my daughter as a baby doll. I was excited to receive this and excited to begin!
Feb 12, 2010 rated it liked it
I've made the Fairly Easy Fair Isle sweater for myself and several "head huggers" head bands as gifts. These are pretty simple straightforward projects. They are not finely-finished or finessed projects. In a way, Debbie Stoller's books are supposed to be about real people knitting, but they tend to leave me feeling "not cool enough".
Autumn
I love this humorous and clever book that is full of wonderful tips that helped me as a beginning knitter. There were so many good ideas, and it made me want to bust out my knitting needles and start a new project right way! 5 gold stars!
Rose Ann
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting
There is a cute pattern in this book for an easy beginner-level Fair Isle cardigan, made with Brown Sheep Company's Lamb's Pride Bulky, that I think I am going to try. Time I learned Fair Isle!

Also there is a cute pattern for a hat shaped like a beehive!
Meg
Sep 12, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
The second I opened this book, I wanted to make half the patterns. The second I got home, pulled up the errata, and Googled my favorites (in particular the Lucky Clover Wrap), I had to decline the opportunity. Great ideas that maybe went to press before a test knit?
amber
Mar 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yarning
check the errata for this book!! i struggled with the spiderweb caplet until i realized it was wrong. i ended up going to crafster for some good advice because that pattern was so unclear even after reading the errata...
Sara
Nov 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Yes, another knitting book... yes, it really is that good. Of particular interest are the little blurbs S n B readers sent in - the tips. I've used several of them, and they have helped me out a ton as a beginning knitter.

I think there's something for every level of knitter in this book.
Anneliese
Mar 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: beginning knitters, people who like quirky knitted things
I like a lot of the patterns in this book, but I don't know if I'll actually knit any of them. However, the reference portions of the book are great to have around when I don't have a computer on/nearby. The illustrations and explanations are pretty clear.
Desiree'
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiber-arts
I haven't knitted from this pattern book as yet, however, I like the progressive knit patterns and how-to instructions that are easy to understand and allow you to apply these simple instructions to other patterns.
Alaina
Jul 30, 2008 rated it liked it
After reading it, was sorry I had spent the money. Her first book was great, but I didn't feel this had anything to add to warrant an entire book. But definitely had clear, easy to follow instructions.
Rachael
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: advanced knitters
I'm very new to knitting, and this book is a lot more advanced than I thought it would be. A lot of the projects are cute, but way too challenging for me. I'm attempting to knit a bag ("the saucy tote")and we'll see how it turns out. The pictures are good, and the models are quirky.
Joanie Rich
Aug 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Great book for beginning knitters like myself! Lots of cool patterns, tips and tricks and ideas for your own projects. There's also a great section in the beginning for learning how to properly use gauge (math formulas that make up all patterns) without pulling your hair out. :)
lauren
Mar 06, 2007 rated it really liked it
first knitting book i bought. taught myself pretty much out of this book. good, solid first book

sidenote: if you are going to make the spring armwarmers, make sure you go to the website and get the corrections before you are completely frustrated with incorrect pattern notes in the book.
Heather
Oct 26, 2007 rated it liked it
At least one of the patterns in this book is positively infuriating. As I set out to knit it, I suspected that it was rife with errors, and a brief search presented me with dozens of message boards dedicated to fixing this particular pattern. Haven't tried any of the others... yet.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures
  • One Skein
  • Fitted Knits: 25 Designs for the Fashionable Knitter
  • One-Skein Wonders
  • The Knitting Answer Book
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points  Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Sensational Knitted Socks
  • The Knitter's Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn
  • KnitKnit: Profiles + Projects from Knitting's New Wave
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
Stoller is the co-founder, co-owner, and editor-in-chief of the third wave feminist, popular culture magazine Bust magazine.