Start by marking “Johannes Cabal the Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #1)” as Want to Read:
Johannes Cabal the Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #1)

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer

(Johannes Cabal #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  16,732 ratings  ·  1,764 reviews
A charmingly gothic, fiendishly funny Faustian tale about a brilliant scientist who makes a deal with the Devil, twice.

Johannes Cabal sold his soul years ago in order to learn the laws of necromancy. Now he wants it back. Amused and slightly bored, Satan proposes a little wager: Johannes has to persuade one hundred people to sign over their souls or he will be damned fo
Published July 7th 2009 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Johannes Cabal the Necromancer, please sign up.
Randy Allain I'm reading the second novel now...in that book the world gets more clearly defined as a steampunky alternate universe with a mix of science-fictional…moreI'm reading the second novel now...in that book the world gets more clearly defined as a steampunky alternate universe with a mix of science-fictional and antiquated tech to suit the author's world.(less)
Addison Schopp Yes, absolutely. The end of the book, like many series, introduces new information that has you wanting to continue on. However, this book has a singl…moreYes, absolutely. The end of the book, like many series, introduces new information that has you wanting to continue on. However, this book has a single overarching goal that does come to satisfying conclusion. I may or may not read more but enjoyed this one by itself for sure.(less)

·  16,732 ratings  ·  1,764 reviews

Start your review of Johannes Cabal the Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #1)
carol.
Alternate title: Something Wicked This Way Comes, the Carnie Version

Johannes Cabal is sorely vexed. Some time ago, he traded his soul to the Devil, as it was proving an impediment in his studies of necromancy. Alas, he acted too hastily–after much research, he’s realized that his soul is needed for his research to be have meaning. He might also have an ulterior motive. The epitome of the logistician, the obsessive scientist, Cabal is a hysterical straight man to the absurd humor of those around
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
💀 Woohoo Time to Bring Back the Dead Buddy Read (WTtBBtDBR™) with the MacHalo Necromaniacs 💀

The thing you are about to read is as crappy as the book it hopelessly tries to non-review is fantastic. Consider your little selves warned and stuff.

There’s a slight chance this book might or might not be the mostest funniest one I have read in the entirety of this entire year. Maybe. Perhaps. Also, I’m fairly (almost) certain I haven’t come across such a joyously delightful mix of Fantasy, dark comedy,
ᴥ Irena ᴥ

I loved this book.

I loved its weird characters.

I loved Johannes Cabal even at his worst. I should be worried, I know.

Johannes Cabal

Image source

I loved the beginning, the plot, the ending.

I would admit that Johannes Cabal is an acquired taste. There are things here that might make some people squirm (not in a good way, but there are those too) and make them feel uncomfortable at best, horrified at worst. The first half of the book is a bit lighter than the second.

If you thought Something Wicked T
Dan Schwent
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-books, 2016
In a bid to win back his soul, necromancer and scientist Johannes Cabal runs a demonic carnival in order to win the souls of a hundred people to exchange for his own. With the help of his vampire brother, can he find one hundred people willing to sell their souls?

This is one of those books that I'm having a hard time verbalizing my opinion on. I'll give it a shot, though.

The Necromancer is a funny tale about a man trying to win back his soul. I found the dark British humor right up my alley. Joh
Bradley
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book turned out to be a delightfully evil tome that retells the Faustian adventure in a clever, dry and imminently British way.

Add a bit of Bradbury and the evil carnies, a dash of the detective mystery, and a very liberal dose of the classic "beating the devil at his own game"... and we've got this tale. I am pretty much delighted through and through, to tell the truth. :)

It reads like the lightest of Urban Fantasies, it has the darkness of the most evil of tales, it has the glimmer of ho
J.L.   Sutton
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
There weren't very many laugh out loud moments for me in Jonathan Howard's Johannes Cabal the Necromancer, but this dark comedy put a smile on my face during big parts of the book. Characters, such as Johannes Cabal and his vampiric brother Horst are presented with a light touch (even though Cabal's goal is to gather 100 souls for Satan so he can get his own soul back). There is no real new ground broken here, unless you count demons running a carnival as a twist, but it was an amusing and well- ...more
Philip
Dec 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, horror
3ish stars.

This is a good, clever, quick genre-bender. It even has a few laugh-out-loud moments. It's very enjoyable, intelligent and endlessly quotable but a little too light-weight for my tastes (despite its dark nature) with a protagonist who is hard to care about. The audiobook performance by Christopher Cazenove really elevates the story and is highly recommended!

Johannes Cabal is a necromancer. He's sold his soul to the devil. Now he'd like it back. There's humor in many varieties, as well
Ivan
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Edit after re-read: Wile I enjoyed this book immensely both first and second time around it doesn't showcase quality of the rest of the series. It's from second book that writting becomes more polished, everything "clicks" this becomes one of my all time favorite series.

Original review:
Somewhere between 4 and 5 stars but little closer to 4.

Writing style and humor reminds of Terry Pratchett but with lot darker tone. Humor here is dark and our protagonist isn't a hero or even anti-hero. Johannes C
ֆɦɛʟʟʏ ȶɦɛ քǟȶʀօռ ֆǟɨռȶ օʄ ƈʊʀʍʊɖɢɛօռʟʏ ƈʀօռɛֆ
Blog | Twitter

Read this with the MacHalos.

Johannes Cabal is a scientist slightly obsessed with bringing back the dead, restoring life, necromancing, and stuff. He has a complicated relationship with his brother. He is not a people person.

Cabal makes a deal with Satan and travels around with a train full of circus freakshow types, trying to collect souls so he can get HIS back! It's a magical train, like see, and new crew members are just plucked out of thin air when needed. But, they can't reall
Mia
"The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us."

Although the above quote is from the movie Halloween, it sums up this book almost perfectly. Because even though The Necromancer may at first dazzle readers with its sharp wit and cleverness, it has a dark heart, mostly due to its eponymous leading man, Johannes Cabal.

Cabal has a problem, you see. A while ago, he sold his soul to Sa
Hannah
Dec 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A funny, slightly pretentious, very clever, Faustian story? There was no way in hell I wouldn't enjoy this. Faust has been one of my favourite books since I read it for my German course in school - I loved (and still do love) it enough that for several years I wanted to get a quote from it tattooed on the outside of my foot (and would have done so if not for the three tattoo artists who told me the location is impossible). Now I am kinda glad I did not get that tattoo, because WOW that would hav ...more
Mimi
A fun read, and just like that it's become a new favorite series.

Before "settling" for this one, I found myself picking up (and putting down) a few different books that I've had on the priority shelf for some time now, figuring now was as good a time as any to go through them, but it wasn't that easy. None of them worked. None of them made me want to return to the story within, and I'd rather save them for a better mood, rather than push through.

I thought I had finally come down with a case of
Jillian
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was pretty unique and it was funny. It made me laugh several times out loud and that almost never happens to me. Mr. bones was one of my favorite characters in this book. It was a funny different story and was quite entertaining. It was a quick read I flew through it. If you can get ahold of a copy definitely give it a go.
MLE
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steam-punk
I really liked this book. The writing is dense, but darkly smart and clever. The characters are well drawn, and complex, and I love how the author used the language they spoke to help define them. I also loved the difficult relationship between Johannes and Horst. The secondary cast was interesting, and added a lot to the story. I appreciated their insight into the story, and the characters. Having views other than Johannes' helped me to understand Johannes, and how he is perceived. The plot was ...more
Trudi
I tried. Oh how I tried. The premise for this book had me at hello. The audiobook starts out very charming and engaging with a winsome scene of Hell's bureaucracy. The dialogue is crisp, witty and very British. Narrator Christopher Cazenove reminded me of Alan Rickman, which is made of win for me.

Then there's the confrontation with Lucifer that's just as delightful and intriguing. Johannes Cabal is a Necromancer who traded his soul to the Devil. But now he needs it back. However, known neither
Gabrielle
This book made me giggle-snort on the metro, which is not a very frequent occurrence. I got my copy as a Christmas present from my darling husband, who obviously knows exactly what will make me cackle maniacally.

The story opens on Johannes Cabal taking a little trip down to Hell in order to negotiate his contract with Satan regarding the purchase of his soul, and Howard describes the first step for getting into Hell as filling out a large number of standardized forms. This was all it took to aut
Sonja
Jun 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: a-z-challenge
Darkly smart, wittily clever, and dry. As my friends would say ‘a British tone’. Sounds like my kind of book!
I will admit that Johannes Cabal is an acquired taste.
Why not four stars? The middle felt quite disjointed and abrupt.
I am looking forward to the next in the series. Maybe some of the kinks will be worked out.
Taylor
"We’re supposed to be doing the devil’s work and you’ve gone and contaminated it all with the whiff of virtue. I really don’t think you’ve quite got the hang of being an agent of evil.”

...

Have you ever come across a book with a synopsis that blew you away? You read it, and you just knew the book would be great? And isn't it even better when the book actually turns out to be amazing?

The Necromancer was that for me.

Years ago, Johannes Cabal sold his soul to the Devil to master the art of necroman
Lindsay
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Quintessentially British humor-infused urban fantasy with an anti-hero protagonist.

Johannes Cabal has done a deal with the devil for his soul. But that was a while ago, and now he needs his soul back. Not because he wants to avoid damnation, but because being soulless is causing issues with his experiments in necromancy. So with this second deal he has to sign up 100 other peoples' souls for Satan to get his own soul back. To do this the Devil loans him one of his carnivals and sends him on his
David Katzman
Oct 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
Dreadful. I knew I was going to throw in the towel after about 30 pages, but I kept going until page 65 because I wanted to give it a reasonable chance. I was in the mood for some gothic wit, some charming amorality, and some evocative darkness. Fail, on all accounts. It wasn’t witty. The plot was contrived. The writing was forced and awkward. And the main character was neither charming nor witty. In fact, he was stiff and boring. Here is the dead-on insight I had about this book:
Sometimes while
Jessica
This book was just what I needed after coming out of my Mockingjay funk. Mockingjay was brilliant, don’t get me wrong, but it also sucked my will to live in 7 loaded hours. I was in a daze for, like, two days. I think I could only move on to other books because my mom started reading it after I finished, preventing me from a re-read, and I got to meet up with my best friend to discuss and have group therapy over our very similar, life-ending experiences.

So yes, dry British humor was what I need
 Linda (Miss Greedybooks)
Johannes Cabal is a wicked dark comedy. Johannes sold his soul to learn the laws of necromancy and makes a wager with Satan so that he may win it back - one year to persuade one hundred people to sign over their souls. A travelling circus is an aid to his task. Horst, a charismatic vampire and brother of Johannes joins as the carnival's barker on the diabolical romp through the English countryside.
Veronica
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic, fantasy
Reread 8/4/17: Still find this darkly charming.

Take one necromancer...

"His name was Johannes Cabal, and he was summoning a demon."

and one vampire...

"His perceptive eye and sympathetic heart, however, were all his own."

...and one year aboard a literal train from hell, a traveling Carnival of DiscordWonders...

"The Cabal Bros. Carnival was something special. Something unusual. Something different."

...to complete the mission: one hundred souls in one year's time to undo a Faustian deal with the Devi
Sarah (thegirltheycalljones)
I quite liked it even if it had some weak moments. Overall very enjoyable.
It made me think, maybe in the way of writing, of Howl's Moving Castle. Don't look too hard though, maybe it's just me but I did think about it more than once while reading.
I also had the feeling that M. Howard's quite a fan of Terry Pratchett, as I sensed some similar vibes here and there and that, my friends, is a proof of good taste.

Morally ambiguous, funny and some catchy moments. I had the feeling the real deal was be
Jason
Oct 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014, e-books
4 Stars

The Necromancer book one of the Johannes Cabal series by Jonathan L Howard is a dark urban fantasy done right. Johannes Cabal is not a good man heck, he is not even a nice man. He literally sold his soul to the devil and has now decided that he wants it back.

The book moves along briskly with plenty of action, dialogue, and great settings. This story really does travel to Hell and back. I really enjoyed the writing style of Howard. He is big on painting a dark and dirty picture and he is b
Steve
I finished, but it didn't keep my attention very well after about the halfway point. Not bad writing, but I think this character seems to work better in short stories (of which there are several).
Lata
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I first heard about this book some years ago, I didn't give it much thought. When I heard this book compared to Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes, I immediately took notice. Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes was one of my favourite books growing up.

Anyway, on to Johannes Cabal. Not a nice guy but oh, so witty and dryly humourous. The story's premise is Johannes enters into a bargain with the Devil to get 100 souls in exchange for the return of Johannes' soul. Enter th
Emma
Apr 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was a bit disappointed with this: it’s been on my tbr list for years and I was really looking forward to it.
Megan Baxter
Dec 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
This is a curiously weightless book. It seems detached from place, from time, and suffers from that detachment. If I spend more time wondering what time period it's taking place in that being engrossed in the story, then there's a problem. Technologies are variable, references are all over the place, and the writing is uneven. But there's a hint here of something better.

Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the recent changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why
Stephen
4.0 to 4.5 stars. An excellent debut novel with a wonderful "tone" and smart writing. Excellent plot and wonderful characters (especially the main character and his brother). Overall, a very satisfying read. Highly recommended!!

• The Way of the Wizard
  • Emperor Mollusk versus The Sinister Brain
  • Gil's All Fright Diner
  • Fantasy Magazine, April 2011
  • Strange Practice (Dr. Greta Helsing, #1)
  • Monster
  • Divine Misfortune
  • Attempted Adventuring (The Attempted Vampirism, #2)
  • Sandman Slim (Sandman Slim, #1)
  • Mid-Lich Crisis
  • African American Athletes Who Made History
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Orconomics (The Dark Profit Saga, #1)
  • The Abyssal Plain: The R'lyeh Cycle
  • Blood Tally (Valkyrie Collections, #2)
  • Ares Express
  • The Reluctant Demon  (Circles in Hell, #4)
  • The Old English Baron
Jonathan L Howard is a game designer, scriptwriter, and a veteran of the computer games industry since the early 1990s, with titles such as the 'Broken Sword' series to his credit.

After publishing two short stories featuring Johannes Cabal (Johannes Cabal and the Blustery Day and Exeunt Demon King) in H. P. Lovecraft's Magazine of Horror, Johannes Cabal the Necromancer was published in 2009 as his

Johannes Cabal (5 books)
  • Johannes Cabal the Detective (Johannes Cabal, #2)
  • The Fear Institute (Johannes Cabal, #3)
  • The Brothers Cabal (Johannes Cabal, #4)
  • The Fall of the House of Cabal (Johannes Cabal, #5)