Start by marking “Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)

Mistletoe Murder (Lucy Stone #1)

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  4,077 Ratings  ·  351 Reviews
"As if baking Christmas cookies, knitting a jumper for her husband’s gift, and making her daughter’s angel costume for the church pageant weren’t enough things for Lucy Stone’s busy Christmas schedule, she’s also working the night shift at a mail-order company. But when she discovers Sam Miller, its very wealthy founder, dead in his car from an apparent suicide, the sleuth ...more
Published December 1st 1998 by Kensington (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Mistletoe Murder, please sign up.
Amy "the book-bat" I have been reading them completely out of order and if you don't mind the ages of her children changing in random order, then the series can be read…moreI have been reading them completely out of order and if you don't mind the ages of her children changing in random order, then the series can be read pretty much any order. If you have a problem skipping around in a person's life and having her be a mom with young children and then a grandmother and then back to young children... read them in order. As far as the mystery storylines, it doesn't seem to matter so much.(less)

Mandy
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
3 1/2 stars... Definitely a fun and fast paced mystery. Lucy Stone was tolerable in this one, not as much "Mary Poppins on speed" which I appreciate. I enjoy these mysteries, they are light and easy to read. Last book of 2015 for me!
Kelly
Oct 02, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: didnt-finish, 2011
I thought this might be a nice cozy little mystery for the holidays, something easy but pleasant to read when there are so many outside distractions going on. And it might've been okay, but I'll never know, because I'm not going to finish it. This is why (don't worry, not really a spoiler): Less than 50 pages in, the main character Lucy is driving home and sees the body of her dead cat near her driveway. Her attitude about it is offensive and annoying to an animal lover such as myself. She doesn ...more
Luffy
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Having read half of the book a day ago, I tarried before reading it again the next day. In the morning, I had a barbed insinuation aimed at my by our cleaning lady. To my annoyance I had much difficulty in shrugging off the zinger. I was feeling down and cranky. I was only when I took up this book to read the other half that the self awareness got tempered. Then it hit me...I was missing reading. It gave me a Wolverine like healing ability. I'm thankful to authors like Leslie Meier to bring so ...more
Alice
I did not find any of the characters in this book very likable at all. Their interaction with pets is callous at worst and indifferent at best. The story was somewhat engaging, but I just cannot stand the characters, especially Lucy Stone and her incessant whining. Yes, it is Christmas and there is a lot to do. Yes, you have kids and there is a lot to do. Yes, you have a job and there is a lot to do. Yes, there is a lot to do. Get over it!
Elle's Book Blog
I am a big fan of cozy mysteries and this one really hit the spot for the genre, and for a pleasant holiday read. I'm excited for the next installment (although a little intimidated because there are SO MANY books in this series!!!).
Iniya
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cozy mystery, neither was it slow nor was it a page-turner. Good for mindless reading but I wasn't really sold on this book.
Matt
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun to read who-done-it mystery novel. An easy and fast reading storyline, if you like Agatha Christie mysteries you will probably enjoy it.
Nolan
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookshare
I've had this series on a hard drive for literally years, and I've decided to undertake a summer series reading thing. As the truly geekiest among us might say, why dabble in parallel when you can dabble in series? Ah, there goes the eye roll, and your hand is hovering way to close to that dangerous mouse button that clicks you out of the review. So let me just get on with it before you click that fatal click.

This is book one in a series that has some serious longevity to it. Lucy Stone is a rel
Ms. J Johnson
Dec 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Kate
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The actual story in this book is only 202 pages (the rest of the book is TWO sample chapters and a lot of other nonsense to make it look thicker), but it took me forever to get through this. This book was about 90% filler and MAYBE 10% mystery. The main character really only does one thing in her "efforts" to solve the mystery, and the ending doesn't tie everything up, and that was disappointing, considering how little there even was to explain. The logic in this book was also mind numbing (X ge ...more
Amy "the book-bat"
After jumping around in the series the past couple years, I have finally read book 1 of the series. I feel like some of the later books are better written, likely due to more practice and developed skills. I will say that the culprit this time was a bit of a surprise. Of course, I am now wondering when Lucy started working for the Pennysaver, which is a much better job for her sleuthing.
Catherine
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like Lucy Stone. She has a lot of common sense and loves her family and small town of Tinker Cove. I like the way the murder was solved. This also was an easy read. A nice break from the Outlanders series.
Jane(Janelba)
Really enjoyed this cozy mystery. I loved the characters and the storyline although I did feel that it all came together rather quickly at the end. Great start to another series I am going to have to read at least the next one of !

Has now got me in the mood for Christmas too !
Dawn Michelle
WHAT the heck did I just read? Did that book make any sense? NO. And the end, was tepid and wasn't that just easy to tidy that weirdo wandering [did we really need 6 sub-stories going on with the main murder one that never went anywhere?] story up nice and easy and make the one reading it go "WHAT was that" and "ARE. YOU. SERIOUS?"
I am glad that I only owned one of this series and that I do not have to read anymore. Meh. I cannot, in good faith, recommend this book to anyone.
Connie N.
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
#1 in the Lucy Stone Mystery series

This was great. I very much like Lucy Stone, our heroine. Although she does take a few chances (more than I would take), they didn't seem totally outlandish; it was more that she made some logical deductions and figured out the killer. OK, so at the last minute she was able to make a big leap, with the reader not having access to pertinent information, but it really didn't detract from the story for me. Lucy is a strong center of the household. While dealing wi
Susan B
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The first of the Lucy Stone mysteries, set in the fictional seaside town of Tinker's Cove, Maine, takes place at Christmas. Lucy is mom to three, wife to Bill, and telephone operator for the community's biggest employer, Country Cousins.

When Lucy finds her employer, Sam Miller, dead in his car, what looks like suicide is murder. But who would want to kill the company's likable boss? Though Lucy is busy enough with Christmas preparations, she can't resist doing a little investigating of her own.
Akl
Oct 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
I borrowed this from the library. Boy, aren't I glad I didn't actually waste any $$$$.

I am only giving it a 2 instead of 1 star because I really did enjoy the Christmas Day scene with the family. I felt like I was part of it.

Other than that, I was really disappointed. The so-called mystery isn't really a mystery. The reveal of the murderer came out of no where. It felt like it was just thrown in together at the last minute.

In addition, I really disliked Lucy. She gossips a lot, complains a lot a
Dianne
Jun 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
This is the first book of (as of this writing) 21 others in this series. It is a good, solid first book that is not without some flaws. It is a true cozy in the sense that it is not bloody, it focuses not only on the murder but the protagonists family and life in general.

Some reviewers have complained about a section of the book that deals with the death of a cat and the procurement of several kittens. While I too was upset about the treatment the author gave to the dead cat, I came to realize t
RebeccaS
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this mystery. Finally a sleuth that isn't a youngish, single women who gets entrapped into a love triangle and is ALMOST murdered by the murderer before being saved at the last minute. Such a breath of fresh air! A women with a job and kids and a husband, and still nosy enough to investigate a murder. I love the small town Maine feel and enjoyed the characters. I never suspected the culprit or the reason for the murders! I will definitely being continuing with this series and have a lot ...more
Di
Read as part of #Book1CoziesClub

This was a re-read for me and I have to say that I enjoyed this more than I did the first time around. I didn't remember a lot of what happened, so it was almost like a new read for me. I really enjoyed the relationship between Lucy and her husband. I also found the chapter headers interesting as they tied in to Lucy's day job.

This ebook included samples to a couple of the other books in this series and I will definitely be continuing to other installments.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Jul 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-read
I enjoy Lucy Stone. She's a great character. Something about her you can't help but like. Maybe because she's not perfect but still is a good wife and mom. And she's curious. This is the first in the series and one of the few series I've ever read out of order. I didn't figure out who done it till about the same time Lucy did which was towards the end.
Jennifer Girard
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought it would be cheesy and predictable but it wasn't. I was very surprised to like it as much as I did.
Jonathan
Simply okay. The MC was annoying but the mystery was good.
Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
This might actually be 3.5 stars. Decent. Fast read. But I never felt "Oh I can't wait to see what happens!" or "I can't wait to start the next one." Which is probably telling me something.
Ed
#1 in the Lucy Stone Mystery series. Mail Order Murder (1991) was APA Mistletoe Murder (1998). Set in a small, coastal Maine town that for unspecified reasons is a summer tourist destination, this series is heavy on family life and inter-personal relations. The plot development is weak although surprisingly there were several interesting plot twists. The core characters are likeable and the novel is a quick read.

At the height of the Christmas season, Lucy Stone, an employee of Maine mail-order h
Suzanne
This book is the first in the Lucy Stone series. Somehow I had bought it but it sat on my shelf since 1991. I probably could have left it there.
I knew there was a reason I only read a few of the series books and now I remember why.
I'm a reader who loves good strong characters, and good strong settings.
For me while the story line a good introduction for Lucy Stone and her family and the rest of the characters, that's all I got. An introduction. I don't feel that I know any of the characters. Th
Sally
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a fast paced, cozy, Little mystery. Nothing like Mary Higgins Clark, but something just mindless to read and not have to really think about. Pretty clean. Reminded me of a Hallmark Christmas movie.
Christi
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, 2017-reads
Eh. It's a cozy mystery. Set in Maine. At Christmas.
This book completely met my expectations.

Having read Christmas Carol Murder, #20 in the series first, it was interesting to see the beginnings of these characters. Not many people in the town also show up in book #20 so I'll assume they either were murdered or were murderers in books #2-19.

I'll definitely check out some of the other seasonal mysteries in this series throughout the year.
bella
Mar 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’ve heard a lot about the Lucy Stone Mysteries. They are usually voiced in the same circles as the Joanne Fluke Mysteries, as being good, long-running mysteries, so I decided to pick up the series from the first book.

Lucy Stone is getting ready for a busy Christmas season. Her husband, Bill’s family is arriving to celebrate, as is her recently widowed mother, Helen. However, her plans take a tumble when she discovers her boss dead in his car. What first looks like suicide, turns out to be murde
Aaron
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
You have probably noticed that I have been getting into cozy mysteries lately. As part of that, I figured I would try one of the bigger authors in the genre from modern times. This is the first book starring Lucy Stone, a mother of three who works second shift at a local mail-order company called Country Cousins that is not unlike L.L. Bean, though a little smaller. Christmas is quickly approaching this small Maine town, and Lucy is feeling the pressure of the holidays. There is loads of shoppin ...more
  • The Chocolate Cat Caper (A Chocoholic Mystery, #1)
  • Just Desserts (A Savannah Reid Mystery, #1)
  • Candy Apple Dead (A Candy Shop Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Mousse (A Della Cooks Mystery #1)
  • Steamed (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #1)
  • Cooking Up Murder (A Cooking Class Mystery, #1)
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
  • A Slice of Murder (Pizza Lovers,  #1)
  • One Bad Apple (Orchard, #1)
  • Shop Till You Drop (Dead-End Job Mystery, #1)
  • Town in a Blueberry Jam (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #1)
  • Tressed to Kill (Southern Beauty Shop, #1)
  • A Peach of a Murder (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #1)
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • The Cat, the Quilt and the Corpse (A Cats In Trouble Mystery, #1)
  • Just Desserts (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #1)
  • This Pen for Hire (A Jaine Austen Mystery, #1)
  • Too Many Crooks Spoil the Broth (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #1)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

More about Leslie Meier

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
  • Star Spangled Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)