Start by marking “Murder on the Ghost Walk (Magnolia Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder on the Ghost Walk (Magnolia Mysteries, #1)

Murder on the Ghost Walk (Magnolia Mysteries #1)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  638 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews

In Wilmington, almost every old house has a ghost. The mansion that Ashley Wilkes, historic preservationist, is restoring, with its crescendo-thumping spectral organist, is no exception. When Ashley makes a grisly discovery, the residents of quiet, quaint Orange Street are horrified. Halloween weekend finds Ashley and Melanie dressed to kill at the Cape Fear Crime Festival

Published September 30th 2006 by Magnolia Mysteries (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on the Ghost Walk, please sign up.

Kellene And the sister's name, Melanie Wilkes, is also from Gone With the Wind.

girl writing
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Great descriptions of the locale, cuisine, architecture and houses. The mystery was interesting. Two things bothered me though. At one point the main character uncovers some evidence that could incriminate her sister. Before confronting her sister to check it out, she tells a friend/co-worker of short acquaintance about it...seemed weird to potentially sell out her sister so quickly. Also, there are a couple of run-ins at social situations with some snarky, rude obnoxious locals and instead of t ...more
Susan
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
OMG, this book TOO long to read! I found it mildly interesting but thought the author used juvenile dialogue throughout the story. Plus I didn't like the cutsie names of the characters - Ashley Wilkes and Melanie. Please! Some bits were interesting but I felt the story, the characters profession and the relationships and investigating she did just didn't seem involved. Glad I'm done with it. Will not look for the next in this series.
Divya
May 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Terrible! I didn't enjoy this book at all, kept hoping it would get better.
Two corpses found in an ancient mansion wall, two people found with knives stuck in their back, 4 great murders & still it falls flat. There wasn't enough logic for it to be a cozy, not enough reality or emotions for women's literature, not enough gore for horror. A complete waste of a good plot. The only good thing I can say is that the setting, southern-old-world-charm was quite well done.
Books like this one make me
Lesley Looper
I'm a sucker for books with North Carolina settings, and I had high hopes for this book, especially since it was dealing with historic preservation in a North Carolina coastal town. I thought some of the dialogue was pretty simplistic, though, almost childlike. Since I read this book while I had the flu, maybe that had something to do with my impression. Still, the setting bumps this book up to a 3. I'll probably try at least one more book in this series for the same reason.
Ann aka Iftcan
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
New cozy series featuring an Historic Preservationist in a small town on Cape Fear. Zany characters abound, which, really is why one reads cozies. The descriptions of the historic house that our main character was working on was great. I wouldn't mind a tour of it, if it really existed.
BJ Rose
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Good premise, but it just didn't engage me at all.
Sheila Myers
Jun 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
A nice little cozy mystery. A quick and easy read.
Wysteria
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
The novel relied on stereotypes a little too much. It was also a little too "cutesy" for me. The characters were annoying and the resolution was unsatisfactory. Also, predictable.
Kellene
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I have wanted to read this series for a long time because I love Wilmington, and finally got around to the first book. While I love the setting, being able to visualize the locations as they are visited, and knowing the history behind many of them, the characters left me flat and the story wasn't great. The mystery itself was interesting at its resolution, but getting there left me wanting so much more. I will read the next one in the series, hoping that the story improves.
Bette Jacobson
This first book of the series presents historical house preservation – though I would have liked a little more information. It is a mystery, two skeletons are found in a wall that was being removed. It is a ghost story, the house has a resident ghost that plays the organ. It is a romance, the main character Ashley Wilkes meets and likes Detective Yost in charge of the case of the skeletons.

This first book of the series shows the potential for an enjoyable mystery/romance. I will have to read oth
Pat
Jan 14, 2017 added it
good. will read further in series
adlin
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This is the first in the Magnolia Mysteries series and is set in Wilmington, NC. For those that have noticed the names, the main character, Ashley Wilkes, confesses that she and her sister were indeed named from Gone with the Wind; her mother was a fan of the movie.

Ashley is a recent college graduate specializing in historic preservation and working on her first project since returning to Wilmington, her home town. Her client is a bit controlling and somewhat over the top. While trying to deal
ashley
Oct 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, bad
In one word: terrible. In two words: cheesy awful. In three years words: just don't bother.

Wildly unbelievable. Poor pacing and plot. Juvenile dialogue.

Drivel.
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)

I read this book because it takes place at Halloween - I always like to 'Read the Season,' as it were, and I am glad I did.
Ashley Wilkes, historic preservationist, on her first important job, is restoring a home for a television personality, Mirabelle Morgan. It is not an easy job, either. Ms. Morgan is one of those people who wants everything done her way, the kind of person who is referred to with the capital "B" in front of their nickname (if you get my drift). When she's not making life a li
Julia
Sep 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book very much. I was in the mood to read a cozy mystery, and this certainly fit the bill. There are actually several murders in the book, but since all seem to be related, Ashley decides that solving one will solve all. I enjoyed the setting. I liked the main character, Ashley, but did not really care for her sister, Melanie. Melanie's character is all over the place emotionally, and I could never tell if she really liked Ashley or not.

The part in the book when we realize that As
Nancy
Jan 27, 2014 added it
this book is a pitiful excuse for a mystery. If this is what people nowadays think a "cozy" mystery is like, no wonder they don't want to read them. There is no wit, no authorial presence, a heroine who is a cipher, a hero who dresses well. Instead there are descriptions of clothing (I don't need to know she's wearing a navy-blue turtleneck or silver hoop earrings), driving directions ("I took Summer Rest Road, then Eastwood until it changed into Martin Luther King expressway and headed downtown ...more
Adrienne Testa
Mar 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Ashley Wilkes is a historic preservationist, hired to restore a hundred year old mansion when she discovers two skeletons in a wall. The mystery gets bogged down in all the drama of her mother being sick, every one's secrets and trying to build a friendship with the homicide detective, Nick Yost. Its as if the story takes a detour as Ashley socializes with the people of Wilmington, North Carolina. Half way through the story, you can figure out the identity of the killer. But, you don't really ca ...more
Paula Hrbacek
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ashley Wilkes has taken on the job of restoring a historic home in Wilmington. This home has a rumor of being haunted. People have heard the organ being played at night.
The home went up for auction after the taxes weren’t paid. It was bought by a television star, similar to Martha Stewart, who wants to revamp the kitchen into a set for her cooking show. When they tear out the old dumb waiter they discover two bodies. It must be the previous owners, who were thought to be touring Europe.

This is a
Kristi Lamont
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Fluff fluff fluffedly fluff. I mean, yeah, props to Ms Hunter for writing this and other books, and I'm sure lots of people would enjoy this cozy (I know I _thought_ I would). But -- and this is truly bizarre for me to say something like this -- I think this would've been more enjoyable as a Hallmark movie than it was in book form. Moving on.....if the last two Camilla Lackbergs don't show up in my mailbox today (late Christmas presents!), I'm going to take it as a sign from the universe to read ...more
Amanda
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, nc
This was a good story with some interesting characters. I live in Wilmington, so that added to my experience reading this book, picturing in my mind some of the places mentioned. Maybe it's because this is the first book in a series, or maybe because I'm familiar with Wilmington, but it seemed there was a lot of detail and mention of specific locations - a specific branch of the library and frequent mentions of street names - that may not add anything to the story for anyone who doesn't know the ...more
Joan - xstitchfan
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How would I describe this book? It is a light, romantic, cozy mystery set in Wilmington. This book is NOT a dark gory, procedural mystery set in Delaware! Readers get a delightful book that shows off the best of the Southern US - the history, the architecture, the distinctive yummy food, and the strong sassy women of North Carolina! Feel free to read this book on a dark stormy night at home by yourself - even with "ghost" in the title. I can't wait to read the rest of the series! Enjoy! P. S. Di ...more
Ivy M
Dec 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books-read
It was a good book...the characters were well developed and the story went along fairly well. Author left just enough clues to help me figure out who the killer was.

The only thing was that it seemed like she spent more then half the book telling me the history of the main characters and the action didn't really happen until the last 3/4 of the book. I think I will try the next book in the series just to see if I like the author's writing and hope that now that I know the characters so well the s
Leslie
Aug 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a fast interesting read; I whipped through it in one afternoon. Our heroine, Ashley, is restoring a historic home in Wilmington, NC when the crew demolishes a wall and finds skeletons. The mystery of who killed and stuffed their bodies in the wall next to the dumb waiter evolves into more murder and even the mayhem of a hurricane. Ashley plays sleuth and starts to have feelings for the detective in charge of the investigation. The background scenery and historic places are real and make ...more
Mind Bird
Mar 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the mildly ill
It was OK. The Wilmington Chamber of Commerce should give her a stipend--irritating detail on the local foods and sights. The somewhat antebellum main character is also irritating. The author doesn't waste a lot of time moving people in and out of the action, just jams characters in where she needs them.
Marybeth
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Early in the book I wondered if I stumbled on a book for adolescents. It is just too cutesy! The main character, whose name is Ashley Wilkes, had me rolling my eyes at her stupidity on any number of occasions. I paid $.99 for the Kindle version and I guess it was worth it. But I doubt I'll be reading any more by the author.
Julie
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. Perhaps because I like old houses and I could visualize the mystery taking place in an old house. As I read I kept going back and forth trying to decide who the murderer was and I must admit I didn't figure it out. I like some of the haunted house speculations.

It kept me interested, kept my imagination going and kept me reading. What more can I ask for?
Teddi
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-series
unfortunately, I barely finished it. Felt quite stiff and unpolished. Read like a travelogue with way too much local information that didn't hold my interest. Also way too much extraneous details and information that could have easily be left out in order to aid the flow.
I see there are quite a number of books to continue the series but I have no will to read any more.
Kathy
Apr 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this light romance surrounded by mystery and murder! In this first book of the series we are introduced to our heroine Ashley Wilkes, historic preservationist, as she uncovers a grisly discovery hidden within the walls of the home she is restoring! Then the mayhem develops from there! This is a light clean read, and thoroughly enjoyable.
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Murder on the ghost walk.

Really had a hard time getting into this book. The story was slow and I didn't like any of the characters. They were either boring or irritating. Not to mention the fact that Ashley and Nick went from complete strangers to being in a relationship. There was no development and no chemistry with their relationship.
VJ
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I got this book as a free Kindle download ages ago and finally got around to reading it on my Kindle app on my iPod.

I would definitely read more of this author. The story wasn't perfect, but I really loved the characters and the setting and the way the story wove around them. Not the best written book in this genre, but one of the more enjoyable in my mind.
  • Down Home And Deadly  (Sleuthing Sisters Mystery #3)
  • Storm Surge (A Jonie Waters Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Twist (Ghostwriter Mystery #1)
  • The Hollow Tree at Dead Mule Swamp (Anastasia Raven Mysteries)
  • A Body in the Backyard (Myrtle Clover Mystery #4)
  • Berried to the Hilt (Gray Whale Inn Mystery, #4)
  • Murder Passes the Buck (Gertie Johnson, #1)
  • Cooking Spirits (Angie Amalfi, #15)
  • The Ghost Pirate's Treasure: Mystery of the Jaguar Warrior (Paranormally Yours, #1)
  • Death on the Aegean Queen (Dotsy Lamb, #3)
  • Loose Screw (Dusty Deals Mystery #1)
  • Buried By Buttercups (Peggy Lee Garden Mysteries #5.5)
  • Classmate Murders (A Jim Richards Murder Mystery #1)
  • Murder at the War: A Modern-Day Mystery With a Medieval Setting (Peter Brichter, #2)
  • The Returns (The Returns, #1)
  • Laundry Man (Jack Shepherd, #1)
  • Fudge-Laced Felonies (Summer Meadows Mystery #1)
  • Killer Image (Art Gallery Mystery Series #1)

Magnolia Mysteries (10 books)
  • Murder on the Candlelight Tour (Magnolia Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder at the Azalea Festival (Magnolia Mysteries, #3)
  • Murder at Wrightsville Beach (Magnolia Mysteries, #4)
  • Murder On The ICW (Magnolia Mysteries, #5)
  • Murder on the Cape Fear (Magnolia Mysteries, #6)
  • Christmas Wedding (Magnolia Mysteries, #7)
  • Murder at the Bellamy Mansion (Magnolia Mysteries, #8)
  • Murder at the Holiday Flotilla (Magnolia Mysteries, #9)
  • Much Ado About Murder (Magnolia Mysteries, #10)