Start by marking “Halfway Down Paddy Lane” as Want to Read:
Halfway Down Paddy Lane

Halfway Down Paddy Lane

Fifteen-year-old Kate finds herself transported back in time to 1850 in her Massachusetts town, where she must adjust to the prejudices against Irish immigrants, working long hours in a cotton mill, and, tragically, falling in love with her own brother.
Published September 1984 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Halfway Down Paddy Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halfway Down Paddy Lane

Start your review of Halfway Down Paddy Lane
Jamie (ReadsinTrees) Dacyczyn
"Charlotte Sometimes" is one of my favorite books, so when I heard about this other classic time travel book for younger readers that so many people remember fondly, I had to read it.

Alas, I can't give this one the same glowing reviews. The writing was fine, and at only 175ish pages it was a quick read. The time travel aspect is never explained, except (view spoiler) It seemed to
Mare
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
The title of this book has stuck with me since I read it years ago. I remember liking the story even though it had the disturbing part of her falling in love with her 1850's version "brother". Interesting story line concept.
Dana Probert
Dec 27, 2015 rated it liked it
Great look at the tough life of Irish Catholic immigrants in the pre civil war years. A bit of an odd, somewhat incestuous love story mixed in that could have been done differently.
Robin
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 12-14 year olds
Another well loved book. It's been a long time since I've read it but it was one of those books that stuck in my head long after I had read it. When I think of my favorite books when I was a young adult, this is one of them.
Sue
Oct 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing
i have a vague memory of this book that stuck with me since childhood, need to find it again. the name is always in the back of my mind.
Serena
May 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a favorite of mine since childhood. I've always been a sucker for time-travel.
Joy
Nov 24, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young teenagers
I am grateful to have read this book. It introduced me to the fictional world of time-travel. But the book is so much more than supernatural. There is a sweet young-love story. I learned about the very hard life of Irish immigrants in the early 1900s. Even after 20+ years the story has stuck with me.
Katie
Feb 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Although I really liked this, I remember being disturbed that she was in love with a man who became one of her ancestors.
Sandra
Feb 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Awesome! This was the first book that I fell in love with.
Bonnie
Feb 11, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a generous rating. It was an odd time travel "romance" that really only held my interest because it wasn't a very long story and gave me a little bit of an idea of what it was like for Irish immigrant families in 1850 on the East Coast of America.
Tabitha
Jul 04, 2011
Timewar85
Mar 30, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Jean Marzollo was the award-winning author of over 100 books for kids, including the I SPY series, Pierre the Penguin, Help Me Learn Numbers 0-20, Soccer Sam, Happy Birthday Martin Luther King, Close Your Eyes, Mama Mama/Papa Papa, the Shanna Show books, and In 1776, as well as books for parents and teachers. She was the author/illustrator of Ten Little Christmas Presents, Ten Little Eggs, Bible s ...more