Start by marking “Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #11)” as Want to Read:
Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #11)

Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea

(Aunt Dimity Mystery #11)

The eleventh cozy mystery featuring everyone's favorite phantom-detective

Nancy Atherton's Aunt Dimity novels have enchanted thousands of readers, and this new addition to the series is likely to broaden the spell. A series of death threats sends Lori Shepard to a remote island off the Scottish coast and to a fabulous castle restored by an eccentric friend of her

Published February 6th 2007 by Penguin Books (first published 2006)

Watership Down by Richard  AdamsThe Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams BiancoThe Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix PotterAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
Rabbits
257 books — 73 voters
The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha ChristieAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieThe Hollow by Agatha ChristieThe Red House Mystery by A.A. MilneThe Body in the Library by Agatha Christie
Country House Mystery
124 books — 23 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #11)
Rita
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so glad I found this series many years ago. I gave it 5 stars, not because it's great literature but because it is entertaining and I feel good after I read it. I know that in these books good will always triumph over evil.
I'm not going to go into great detail other than to say that Aunt Dimity is dead but then again maybe not completely. Lori Shepherd's life should be fairly easy and uncomplicated, but it never is. Trouble seems to find her. Of course there would be no books if it didn't,
Elizabeth
Oct 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was such a delightful mystery without a murder even taking place!

I love the setting in a castle on an island off the coast of Scotland.

I also really loved all the mysteries surrounding the old monastery and the monks and their treasure from the 8th century! My kind of stuff!

Oh and I adore Lori's wise little five year old gentlemen twin boys Will and Rob!
✨ Gramy ✨
This series offers cozy mysteries with amusing and quirky characters, in the life of Lori and her Aunt Dimity. Each one has been a fun and entertaining read to be sure.

It is appreciated that each book is able to stand on its own and usually concludes with an HEA.
Sarah Coller
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is definitely one of the betters in the series. This one actually had a real mystery! With a real bad guy! And things that weren't just in Lori's mind! Yay!

The origin of the name of Dundrillin Castle cracked me right up...guess I was just in the mood for really bad humor---ha!

I especially like what Aunt Dimity said at the end when Lori talked about tearing down landscaping to keep her home more safe. Aunt Dimity said we don't fight evil by destroying life. Instead, we do life-giving things
Eric
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another fun mystery with Lori, The Twins and of course Aunt Dimity, although I was a bit distressed by the story this time with a death threat but as always a grand adventure and a delightful series .
Karen A. Wyle
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
I'm rounding up about half a star.

This installment in the series has pluses and minuses in comparison to those that came before. A plus: Nancy Atherton avoids one of the two tropes that have become so familiar as to be formulaic. A minus: the resolution has some elements of deus ex machina, though at least we get a bit of a scientific explanation.

The story is more intense than usual, in a way that works. There are actually several mysteries, coincident in time rather than interwoven. As usual,
Cheryl
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really like this series and this installment was well done and somewhat different from the others I have read. Usually there is a mystery which turns out to be not nearly as sinister as it seems and some interesting characters. This one had those elements, but also included a true bad guy who was a threat to our heroes. I enjoyed the chance to spend time with Lori, Dimity, and Reginald again, and found that the addition of a genuine villain was a bonus.
Barbara ★
I liked this better than some of the others but honestly I find Lori irritating. I loved the addition of Damien and the boys.
Annie
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"We defeat evil every time we commit an act of kindness. When necessary, we hit it with a rock."
- Aunt Dimity
Doris
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Lori and her family are in hiding on a remote Scottish island, when her past catches up to her in the form of a child prodigy she helped nurture. The boy, man now, has come to the same island, and has discovered a fascinating secret based on every day clues that Lori hadn't noticed.

He and a friend lead her around, showing her the clues, and eventually serendipity steps in to bring the truth to light.

I felt this particular book was a little less spooky, because the ghost (Aunt Dimity) doesn't
Tobinsfavorite
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
It's funny; the back of this book has a review snippet reading something like, "The quality of this series never flags." It's true! Every time I start one of these, I'm mildly annoyed and wonder why i'm reading it, but very soon, I get caught up and interested in what happens. By the end, I look forward to the next. Lori's kind of annoying, but everybody else is better. (Except Nell, but she isn't in this book.)

It's also funny because there is a lot in the book about how valuable Lori is because
Linda C
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Lori Shepherd's husband receives death threats against him, his wife and their twin sons. Under extreme secrecy Lori and the boys are transported to a remote island off the coast of Scotland, home of Sir Percy, family friend. Meanwhile, Bill and Scotland Yard are searching his files to find a disgruntled client or perpetrator. While on the island, Lori meets a friend in disguise and begins learning some weird things about the island and its inhabitant. This mystery is a step up from the last ...more
Tammy
Sep 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Lori's husband receives death threats against him and the whole family including photos of their twin boys playing in the backyard. Bill arranges a place for Lori and the twins to go stay while he and the police try to figure out who is sending the death threats and Bill stays in protective custody. The boys love exploring the Scottish castle and small village on a tiny island off the coast of Scotland. They don't realize their new caretaker is also their body guard.
Shadoshard
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm starting to feel a fondness for this series, and I'm not actually into mysteries. But the writing is as comfortable as a blanket after being out in Scottish weather. And I liked this book particularly with how it ended over all. It managed to keep up the suspense with some deceptive villains (who aren't) and a totally evil villain who's fate is incredibly satisfying. All in all, it was a great read on a rainy, chilly autumn day.
Linda
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Aunt Dimity Adventure

It's been awhile since I've read an Aunt Dimity book. I enjoyed reading this book as I have each one. Some I have liked more than others. This is one I like more!

I know that each Aunt Dimity book will have a good ending but it's fun to read and see how they play out. I especially like the descriptions of the places she, Lori and the family visit that the author gives.
Mary
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is considered a “cozy mystery” which means it’s not high literature. It’s a random book from a series I’d never even heard of. However, it involved a relatable modern heroine, an old Scottish castle on a tiny island in the Hebrides, plenty of red herrings, and a not-quite-predictable ending (for me). I’m giving it 3 stars but I enjoyed it 5-stars’ worth on this busiest weekend of my work year. It was just what I needed!
Shannon
Aug 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I kind of enjoyed this one...especially the side story about the industrious little town/island that Sir Percy is Laird of...the weak part is that the stalker suspect wasn’t ever mentioned or discovered until the end do it’s not really a mystery about that...more about the residents and what they were up to.
Nancy Hemati
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I thought the book was good and the story kept me reading. I didn't like how the book of Revelation in the Bible was repeatedly and quite incorrectly referred to as the 'book of Revelations.' This is quite incorrect and I'm sure Ms. Atherton and her editors could have done a better job of catching their mistake. Alas, it must not have been important. A shame.
Shiela Rozich
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This series is so enjoyable! It is like having a warm bowl of oatmeal with sweet berries atop on a cold winter day- nutritious, comforting and enjoyable. An example of a perfect comfort read (food).
Amanda
My "comfort food" books. Not too serious, violent or complicated, and the descriptions of locations just suck you in. Definitely reading that helps you de-stress.
Michele
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this one, Aunt Dimity and Lori venture off to a remote Scottish Island.....
Boweavil
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this one. Scotland is a great background and the taste of real danger gives a frisson that most of Lori's adventures don't have.
Joanne
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I like that the last two do NOT involve Lori finding a body. That doesn't mean that the books aren't mysteries or riveting. The end of this one is FANTASTIC!
Joan
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another enjoyable mystery places Lori and her five-year-old twin sons on a remote Scottish island, guests in the castle home of Sir Percy Pelham. This journey was the result of death threats to Lori and her family received by her husband, Bill.

While there she and her bodyguard discover hidden treasure, obviously placed in a cave by the citizens of the small village on the island.

Peter, the step-son of her best friend Emma, and his naturalist companion, show up on the island, complicating things.
Melinda
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the best one in the series!
Kristen
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favourite Aunt Dimity books so far! Filled with excitement and drama, as well as family, small-town busy-bodies causing trouble, and some fun new characters added into the mix.

Normally, Lori is the member of her family who manages to stumble into sticky situations, but this time around, the trouble originates with Bill, Lori's oh-so-stable lawyer husband. Bill has been receiving threatening notes that promise to exact retribution for some unknown [to Bill anyway] transgression
Beverly Harrison
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed this book. I think it's more about my desperation to find and read good books with female protagonists, than a statement about this book. Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea breaks all the rules, and does it badly. It's filled with telling instead of showing. What this means is it's superficial rather than substantive and deep. Well, that's ok to a degree. Perhaps. I like Nancy Atherton's protagonist, but I don't know why. I don't know what she looks like, for example. But I do ...more
Diana
Jan 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lori Shepherd and her sons must flee their home when a mysterious person threatens to murder them and her husband. The threats have been coming by email and Lori's husband, Bill, and he has no idea who wants to kill them or why. Bill becomes really concerned when the potential murderer sends him picures of his family. The decision is made that the family must leave the area immediately. They have a friend, Percy, who flies them in his helicopter to his private island near Scotland. Percy was in ...more
Judy Goodnight
In re-reading the Aunt Dimity series, I'm re-rating as well, adding 1 star in most cases, including this book.

For the first time in this series there is an element of danger. Lori's husband, Bill, is receiving death threats from an obviously mentally disturbed person, presumably a former client, identity unknown. Now the threat has escalated to include Lori & their boys. The latest threat comes with photos taken at their home in Finch. So Lori & the boys are whisked far away to a remote
Dharia Scarab
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it

« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2)
  • Terns of Endearment (Meg Langslow, #25)
  • Bite Club (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 22)
  • Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3)
  • The Christmas Quilt (Elm Creek Quilts, #8)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Toast Mortem (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #16)
  • The Pawful Truth (Cat in the Stacks #11)
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Miss Julia Meets Her Match (Miss Julia, #5)
  • Now You See Them
  • Killer in the Carriage House (Victorian Village Mysteries #2)
  • The Real Macaw (Meg Langslow, #13)
  • Miss Julia Throws a Wedding (Miss Julia, #3)
  • The Sniper's Wife (Joe Gunther #13)
  • The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #2)
  • Murder With Peacocks (Meg Langslow, #1)
  • Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4)
Nancy Atherton is not a white-haired Englishwoman with a softly wrinkled face, a wry smile, and wise gray eyes, nor does she live in a thatched cottage behind a babbling brook in a tranquil, rural corner of the Cotswolds.

She has never taken tea with a vicar (although she drank an Orange Squash with one once) and she doesn't plan to continue writing after her allotted time on earth (though such

Aunt Dimity Mystery (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Aunt Dimity's Death (Aunt Dimity Mystery #1)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Duke (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #2)
  • Aunt Dimity's Good Deed (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #3)
  • Aunt Dimity Digs In (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #4)
  • Aunt Dimity's Christmas (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #5)
  • Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #6)
  • Aunt Dimity: Detective (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #7)
  • Aunt Dimity Takes a Holiday (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #8)
  • Aunt Dimity: Snowbound (Aunt Dimity Mystery #9)
  • Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin (Aunt Dimity Mystery, #10)