Start by marking “Greenlights” as Want to Read:
Greenlights

Greenlights

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  87,567 ratings  ·  12,882 reviews
From the Academy Award®–winning actor, an unconventional memoir filled with raucous stories, outlaw wisdom, and lessons learned the hard way about living with greater satisfaction

I’ve been in this life for fifty years, been trying to work out its riddle for forty-two, and been keeping diaries of clues to that riddle for the last thirty-five. Notes about successes and failu
Paperback
Published 2020 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about Greenlights, please sign up.
Matt Fitz I hate any type of censorship, but understand some literary regulation. As a former school teacher and currently raising a 16 year old boy, I'd be sur…moreI hate any type of censorship, but understand some literary regulation. As a former school teacher and currently raising a 16 year old boy, I'd be surprised to learn he checked this book out from his HS library even if I'd let him read it (because we discuss books and their content).

He uses rather colorful language and there are certain incidents of questionable judgment (legalities and moralities). While I don't think he's condoning bad behavior (the theme of the book is metaphoric red, yellow, and green lights on his life's journey), his adventures are better suited towards older kids.

And to borrom from Matt himself. Forget Misty's bullshit view below of the book. Kids walk around with a phone full of worst on their social media feeds or general news. If you have kids interested in learning straight from the man himself in his unvarnished truth - let them have at it. He owns his journey and it was great hearing how he lived it. Misty and her ilk are the red lights of the world. We need more green lights. (less)
Sherrie74 It was not a tell all type of book, he seldom discussed any of the actual filming or those he filmed with or those he dated. He didn't "drop names" to…moreIt was not a tell all type of book, he seldom discussed any of the actual filming or those he filmed with or those he dated. He didn't "drop names" to get more attention. I was surprised he didn't mention he saved a woman's life in Toronto at a movie premiere. The paramedics said she probably would have died without his quick actions. But those two things alone show what type of a person he is. (less)

·  87,567 ratings  ·  12,882 reviews

Start your review of Greenlights
Marlana Williams
My suggestion is to listen to the audiobook so that you can get wrapped up in that warm, friendly, country-boy voice of his as if he is talking directly to you. My suggestion is also to listen in a quiet environment because Matthew is not an overbearing narrator.

What you'll get are some the wonderful interjections of laughter and a few "wooo"s to let you know that Matthew is a genuine human being, very humble of his own fame. Even better, he's very intelligent. There are many passages that can
Elyse  Walters
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I LOVED IT!!!!!!
isn’t that enough? FANTASTIC storytelling...
MEMORABLE STORIES you ‘won’t’ forget.
Mathew is not only a great actor, he’s a GREAT AUTHOR!!!
HE CAN WRITE!!!!
For readers who think this book isn’t for you—-you just might surprise yourself.

Its soooooo engaging!!!
I didn’t want miss a word!!!!

I loved, loved, loved, loved it!!!!
YOU’ll LOVE IT!!!!! I Promise!!!!!!
“Greenlights”..... 🟢 is a wonderful gift to ‘thyself’.

🟢Greenlight 🟢 Greenlight 🟢 Greenlight 🟢

Thank you, Mathew.......
....
Gabby
Really enjoyed this one. I really love Matthew McConnaughey as a human and as an actor so I was really excited to hear he wrote a book! I listened to the audiobook and his narration is absolutely fantastic, if you decide to read this book you HAVE to go with the audiobook, his voice is amazing and his narration was so fun I was smiling like an idiot most of the time reading this.

Only reason I knocked off a star is because I wasn’t a huge fan of the self-help parts of this book, I was more intere
Joshua Lawson
On the one hand, I read this book in less than two days over the course of a rainy weekend.

On the other hand, I have been keeping notebooks in which I wax poetic since I was eighteen and this book has inspired me to never ever share them with anyone.
Sean Barrs
Nov 28, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You lost me on the third wet dream, Matthew.

Talk about oversharing your self-centred story.
Mediaman
A rambling book with great stories but flawed execution. McConaughey was a C student in college, claiming he was normally an A student but wanted to devote time to real world instead of books, and at the end of this books says he'd rather "take an experienced C over an ignorant A any day." Well, this book is a C at best and could have been an A if he would have been less self-satisfied and allowed others to guide him to objective conclusions. Instead it's all about subjective Matthew living his ...more
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Ahhhhhh...I am totally listening to Matthew McConaughey! ❤️ Holy crap! So there is something to be said for a memoir where the author reads you their story. You all know the voice...but do you know the story?

So I think there are two types of memoirs. One where the author paints the picture they want you to see, their public persona. Then there is the type where they actually let you get a glimpse of their life. Their outlook, thoughts and of course the path they have taken to get where they are
Swaroop
Nov 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good read - suitable for all times, but makes more sense for these uncertain and strange times.

***

To all those criticising this book as `self centered` and `selfish` - my answer is “you are right”.

memoir: a written record of a person's own life and experiences (Cambridge Dictionary)

As the above definition states, a memoir is about a person`s own life – so it will be about `self`. And, when someone writes or speaks about self, of course, it will be about themselves…

Greenlights is
Toni Parvin
Oct 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Alright alright alright...5 easy breezy stars. It felt like I sat around with him over a glass of scotch and he told me stories of his life. He’s witty, funny, smooth, and worked his literary skills through my heart. I laughed out loud, I paused to write down deep truths that resonated with me, and I face palmed at some of his antics. Do yourself a favor and listen to the Audible, he narrates! Oh yes!!!

His life has been interesting, to say the least. I love his passion to constantly be
Jen
Dec 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
What a disappointment.. was soooo looking forward to this!! UGH seriously probably 2.5 ⭐ for me but it's a biography and I feel harsh lowball scoring someone's life thoughts lol so I rounded up.. I realize a lot of people loved this but truly not sure what to say about that.

Also not too sure where to start here but will make it brief. My final thoughts are that I guess you should leave your Hollywood crushes alone and not read about their lives in case you end up here, where I am... I loved Matt
britt_brooke
Oh lord, was this annoying. I love a good celebrity memoir, but not when riddled with self-help tidbits. If McConaughey had stuck to personal essays without all the cheesy, self-satisfactory interjections (“prescription!” and “note to self!” and “bumper sticker!”), I’d have liked it more, even though the stories themselves felt very anecdotal and lacked depth. Unless you’re a massive fan, I can’t recommend.
Regina
Dec 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Green lights:
- Matthew McConaughey is a self-proclaimed optimist. It’s refreshing to see the perspective of someone whose glass is so full.
- The way he reads the audiobook is pretty darn funny, making me spontaneously laugh many times.
- There are some pieces of good advice, like standing firm with your decisions to forego the easy paths while you wait for the right one.

Yellow lights:
- M.M. is a weird dude, but if you opt to listen to or read his book you probably already know that.
- There ar
Cindy
Oct 26, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another narcissistic actor who loves to hear himself talk! This book was very preachy and about as deep as a paper cut! What have I learned about Matthew? I've learned that I never want to be stuck in a room with him! ...more
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I love Matthew as an actor, I didn’t love this book like I was hoping. And that’s ok 😉

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Larry H
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alright, alright, alright...

Greenlights is exactly what you’d expect a memoir from Matthew McConaughey to be like, and that’s pretty great.

I’ve been a McConaughey fan since he appeared as Drew Barrymore’s boyfriend in the movie Boys on the Side . Aside from his obvious aesthetic gifts (I saw him once in person during his dirty, shoeless days in Austin and he was still totally magnetic) and his acting talent, I’ve always thought him to be one of the bluntest, funniest, most cerebral celebr
Marialyce (absltmom, yaya)

I have liked him as an actor and that’s what he should stick with!
Matthew McConaughey has the gift of gab. He could easily be a preacher. I can’t imagine choosing to read the physical book and missing out on hearing him narrate. Is what he’s saying worth listening to? Sometimes.

At first, this struck me as more of a fun, autobiographical stand-up routine than a memoir. Yet I wondered if he was aware of how abusive his parents seemed as he told his crazy stories and declared how much love was in their household.

He does things in his book that made me roll my eye
Renee Amberg
I really enjoyed. I initially picked it up for philosophical thought but got Mr. Mcgaughey’s life story instead - not angry about it, just not what I was expecting.
He is such a free spirit, it makes me jealous. He’s one of those people who really just lives life to the grandest without ever losing the will the keep on going. He takes every moment as a lesson and life virtue, it’s extremely inspiring.
He’s way more artsy than I thought, he lives his life so vibrantly and vividly that I feel like
Katie B

It's fair to say Matthew McConaughey marches to the beat of his own drum. And bongos. (Yes, the infamous naked bongo playing arrest is brought up in this memoir, and yet, it doesn't seem as weird now in 2020 as it did back when it happened in 1999.) So it wasn't surprising to me that he wrote a unique memoir. While I enjoyed reading this book on my Kindle, I do think it might be even better as an audiobook. The life advice type stuff that is interjected throughout the book will probably
Christy
4 stars

I’ve read several memoirs lately and this has definitely been the most fun. Matthew McConaughey has had an interesting life and I absolutely loved his narration and his outlook on life. Quite a few times I laughed out loud. I enjoyed this one lots.

Audio book source: Libby (library borrow)
Story Rating: 4 stars
Narrators: Matthey McConaughey
Narration Rating: 4.5 stars
Genre: Memoir
Length: 6 hours and 42 minutes

Barbara

Matthew McConaughey

As his fiftieth birthday approached, American actor and producer Matthew McConaughey decided it was time to share stories about his life, gleaning material from the journals he's been keeping for more than three decades. McConaughey is an optimist whose philosophy is to maneuver around obstacles and look for 'greenlights' - opportunities to get ahead. Matthew's memoir is fun and entertaining.....and liberally sprinkled with bumper sticker phrases he's collected over t
Corina
Jan 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, memoir
Unsurprisingly the book was GOOD!!!

Matthew McConaughey is one interesting dude, and his narration was TOP!!! For all my peeps who love celebrity memoirs - this one is for you!!!

FULL REVIEW

If you are a fan of celebrity memoirs, and of Matthew McConaughey himself, you’ll love this book.

Not only is Matthew McConaughey an interesting personality, he also has a way of telling stories. His passion about life, acting and his family is palpable when he speaks. That’s probably why I love listening to mem
Anthia D.
Oct 31, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unexpectedly tiresome, self centered, self righteous, disturbing on so many levels, condones corporal punishment, physical abuse...a letter to Narcissism.
Em Lost In Books
I went with high hopes into this book, very sure that I would like it as I have always enjoyed his work. But things didn't go as well. There are few things that I didn't like.

The first thing that struck me odd was how he painted the picture of domestic violence. He went into details once but told that it was the norm, this was how the parents showed their love. And it was quite scary.

Then there was him saying that stealing is not bad unless you got caught (he got it from his parents), come on
Claudia
It’s a love letter. To life.

Indeed it is. McConaughey is a guy who really pursued his dreams. (view spoiler)

What I most liked about his writing is that it's not polished: his thoughts, adventures, stories, all are raw, spiced more often than not with humor and self-irony. He is charming, funny, thoughtfu
☘Misericordia☘ ⚡ϟ⚡⛈⚡☁ ❇️❤❣
Q:
Things I witnessed, dreamed, chased, gave and received.
Truth bombs that interrupted my space and time in ways I could not ignore.
Contracts I have made with myself, many of which I live up to, most of which I still pursue.
These are my sights and seens, felts and figured outs, cools and shamefuls.
Graces, truths, and beauties of brutality.
Initiations, invitations, calibrations, and graduations.
Getting away withs, getting caughts, and getting wets trying to dance between the raindrops.
...
Hopefull
Lisa
Dec 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this wild, deeply soulful, entertaining memoir. The audiobook version is a MUST. Matthew's narration is phenomenal. ...more
JD
Jan 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a fun read written in a very cool and unusual style.
Matthew McConaughey is such a cool guy and he lives his life the way he want to live it. In the book he tells you his story about staying true to himself, and every time he strays from that, he stops, centers himself and then become even more successful and happy because of being himself. And this in an industry and a world where everyone tries to be something they are not.

His stories and dreams can take strange turns at time, but
L.H.
Nov 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I listened to it on a road trip. Loved the honesty as well as the voice of McConaughey. The added, "notes to self," and "bumper stickers," had me laughing throughout. I had a similar upbringing, complete with spankings.....I turned out pretty good. Keep up the good work Matthew. I look forward to the next one. ...more
Teresa
Nov 27, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was really disappointing. A narcissist trip into making me dislike an actor I always liked.

Self absorbed, preachy and irritating..

NOTE TO SELF...Be grateful that I didn’t have to pay for this book!
Goodreads Choice ...: Greenlights - June 2021 3 23 Jun 03, 2021 11:55PM
The Worst Bestsel...: Episode 171 - Greenlights 1 19 May 10, 2021 10:27AM
Play Book Tag: Greenlights - Matthew McConaughey - 4 stars 3 36 Nov 25, 2020 10:00AM

• It
  • Chatter: The Voice in Our Head, Why It Matters, and How to Harness It
  • An End to Upside Down Living: Reorienting Our Consciousness to Live Better and Save the Human Species
  • An End to Upside Down Thinking: Why Your Assumptions about the Material World Are No Longer Scientifically True
  • Kintsugi Wellness: The Japanese Art of Nourishing Mind, Body, and Spirit
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Swimming Lessons: Poems
  • Fortune of Fear (Mission Earth, #5)
  • Cypress Point
  • Berserk, Vol. 1
  • V for Vendetta #1 (of 10)
  • V for Vendetta
  • Batman: Year One
  • Al Capone: His Life, Legacy, and Legend
  • Between the World and Me
  • Fool Me Once
  • The Genius of Birds
  • Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption
See top shelves…
Academy Award-winning actor Matthew McConaughey is a married man, a father of three children, and a loyal son and brother. He considers himself a storyteller by occupation, believes it's okay to have a beer on the way to the temple, feels better with a day's sweat on him, and is an aspiring orchestral conductor.

In 2009, Matthew and his wife, Camila, founded the just keep livin Foundation, which he

Articles featuring this book

“We all step in shit from time to time. We hit roadblocks, we fuck up, we get fucked, we get sick, we don’t get what we want, we cross thousands of “could have done better”s and “wish that wouldn’t have happened”s in life. Stepping in shit is inevitable, so let’s either see it as good luck, or figure out how to do it less often.” 77 likes
“Don’t walk into a place like you wanna buy it, walk in like you own it.” 74 likes