Start by marking “Once Upon a Summer: Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Tales” as Want to Read:
Once Upon a Summer: Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Tales

Once Upon a Summer: Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Tales

Embrace the enchantment of summer with these contemporary twists on timeless tales.

A New Beginning — Who is she? Acacia Martin raised by an impostor mom serving a prison sentence for her sins, or Jasmine Callahan abducted at birth from a family she’s yet to meet? Luckily, she has Drake to help her untangle the mess that is her life. Will he ensnare her he art in the proces

Kindle Edition
Published May 25th 2021

To ask other readers questions about Once Upon a Summer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once Upon a Summer

Start your review of Once Upon a Summer: Contemporary Retellings of Timeless Tales
Susan Snodgrass
Apr 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
I loved fairy tales as a child. Still do. I have been looking forward to this collection because I have read the last collections by these authors. I was not disappointed! This collection, I believe, is my favorite.

Andrea Boyd does a retelling of Rapunzel, which was one of my favorite fairy tales. I love how she turned this one around, about the girl whose whole life was sheltered by her mother. Totally cool.

Toni Shiloh does a great job with another of my favorites, Beauty and the Beast. I thor
MJSH
This is such a fun contemporary retelling of fairy tales! It's the perfect beach read and this collection will have you smiling widely and sighing happily-ever-afters when you're finished.

A New Beginning by Andrea Boyd explores what Cacie (Rapunzel) has to face after the truth of her childhood and upbringing comes out. Cacie's path to finding her true self is filled with emotional angst. Drake is an absolute darling of a hero with a remarkable faith and all the more memorable because of his unus
Brittany
May 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun collection of stories! The authors all did a great job of creating retellings of classic fairy tales, full of their own unique twists. The stories had faith messages naturally woven in as well, which I really appreciated.

A New Beginning by Andrea Boyd was a retelling of Rapunzel. I loved the patience and kindness that Drake showed toward Cacie. These two characters were just so sweet together! The author did a good job of showing all of the ways that Cacie had to adjust to he
Caitlyn Santi
May 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely delightful collection of contemporary fairytale retellings that will give you all the feels! I love all four of these authors' writing and these novellas are all so great! I so enjoyed the twists on these classic stories, and it was super fun that they were all set during summer! I loved getting to travel virtually through the different stories, especially to France in Toni Shiloh's An Ever After Summer! Once Upon a Summer is a fantastic collection and I highly recommend it ...more
Kailey
May 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed these stories! They were all so unique, but my favorite was Gwen and the Three Dates. I think these stories were really fun to read. I loved sampling stories from different authors. I’ll be adding them to my TBR list!

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.
Angeline
This was such a cute collection of contemporary fairy tales. Once Upon a Summer is a collection of novelas written by Andrea Boyd, Toni Shiloh, Teresa Tysinger, and Jaycee Weaver.
A New Beginning was such a sweet novella, I liked the characters and I found the storyline very interesting. A New Beginning is a retelling of Rapunzel and I really liked the way the author wrote it. Acacia Martin was trying to figure out who she was and I liked reading about her growth and how she learned to trust Go
Stacey Cochran
Apr 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a fun summer read! But the stories tackle some deep subject matter in a way that puts the characters’ faith front and center and we get to see how they handle situations. The added bonus of the fairy tale elements just made the collection so unique. I have reviewed the individual stories below. This was a great collection and I look forward to more collaborations by the authors!

A New Beginning by Andrea Boyd
I thought this Rapunzel retelling was unique and cute. I loved the characters and
Anne
May 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
These four contemporary retellings of favorite fairy tales are quite imaginative and fun. The authors have collaborated in the past on similar projects and it’s always interesting to see which ones they will choose to weave their writing magic into.

Once Upon a Summer has two fairy tales that I was not as familiar with but I enjoyed them. They’re lighthearted with a breezy feel, perfect for a lazy afternoon on the beach or sitting on the porch.

I was provided an electronic copy from one of the a
R.j.
Apr 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This was so much fun. I am such a sucker for fairytale retellings. And by some of my favorite contemporary authors? Definitely on my To Read pile. This collection was SO good. I really enjoyed all four stories in this collection, and I'd be very hard pressed to choose a favorite. Probably the Rapunzel story, just for its uniqueness. Though Jaycee Weaver's connected well to a previous fairytale retelling, and that was fun too. Ok. I can't decide. They are all really good.

I received a copy of thi
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
Whether you’re the kind of person who loves spending all summer by the pool & at the beach or the kind of person (like me) who stays indoors as much as humanly possible when the temperatures get above 75, Once Upon a Summer is the perfect choice for you. These four classic fairy tales with a contemporary twist are sweet and fun and oh-so-swoony!

I wasn’t sure how a contemporary version of Rapunzel was going to play out without being too unbelievable, but Andrea Boyd knocked it out of the park wit
Paula Shreckhise
Four clever and cute stories based on Fairytales.
A New Beginning-Andrea Boyd
Cute take on Rapunzel with a very modern twist. The meet was very unusual. It included foster kids and a lesson on not judging on appearances. It dealt with hard subjects in a faith-filled way.
Ever After Summer-Toni Shiloh
Absolutely the best rendition of Beauty and the Beast! I loved Bell and Jean Luc. Add in France and a trip to Paris Disney and it was perfect! Even pompous Dominic was great. All with a faith underpin
Aminata Coote
May 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this collection of fairytale retellings. They each had likable characters, a sweet love story, and a new spin on an old classic. I liked that each story in the collection held a theme that reminded you of an attribute of God.

This collection is definitely one you should add to your summer reading list. I received a copy of Once Upon A Summer from the authors; a positive review was not required.
Deena
Mar 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is the most original and entertaining collection of retellings! Loved every single one!
Allyson Anthony
May 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Once Upon a Summer is a fun collection of 4 contemporary fairy tale retellings. This is a perfect summer read as well as a beach read. I have read their previous collection, and the authors do a super job putting their own spin on these fairy tale retellings. I highly recommend reading this collection because it will make your heart happy.
I received an advanced readers copy. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Vicky Sluiter
May 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Oh what fun this set of novellas are! Twists on well known fairy tales, the authors have done a good job of keeping the familiar tone of each one, while placing the reader in a modern setting. I loved the imagination that was shown through the writing.

If you enjoy Christian contemporary romance, great summer reading, and anything by these authors, then Once Upon a Summer is perfect for you.

I received a complimentary copy of this book but was not required to leave a review.

Carol R.
Jun 03, 2021 rated it really liked it
4 retellings in contemporary settings. What a great beach read! Although all were very good, my favorite was the Beauty and the Beast retelling (probably because it's one of my favorite fairy tales). BUT all 4 stories are excellent and I would reread this if only my TBR pile wasn't so high! ...more
Ann
May 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I loved this collection of stories! This is the perfect book to escape with. All of the stories are well written, hold your attention and leave you with a happy sigh.
Marylin
Mar 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
I've read one of the stories in this collection and I LOVED it. I can't wait to read all of them! I'm so happy these ladies are doing this again! Fun Fun!

UPDATE: HERE'S MY REVIEW:
This collection of stories was so enchanting.
It took some favorite fairy tales and gave them a modern twist.
This was just the perfect thing to read over a relaxing weekend.
Each book has a flair of its own, and each author is skilled in storytelling, and they will capture your heart and give you warm fuzzies.
The whole
Jessica Baker (A Baker's Perspective)
Fairy tale retellings are some of my favorite stories! Because they are fairy tales, it is hard to twist them into a contemporary romance feel. It has to be done right for me to keep reading. It cannot be just a story thrown together, or so much like the fairy tale that it doesn’t have the contemporary feel. Let me tell you friends, these ladies know how to write fairy tale retellings in a fabulous way! Each story was unqiue, carried a beautiful faith theme, and made this reader smile big!

The th
Ebos Aifuobhokhan
May 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As a child I was so fascinated with fairy tales so getting to read one like this in adulthood with Biblical themes was heartwarming on all levels.

New Beginnings by Andrea Boyd.

My eyes widen in surprise at the first page of this beautiful novella. Definitely captivating. Its been a while I read a book by Andrea Boyd and I almost forgot what an amazing storyteller she is. This novella was warm, sweet, and made me warm inside. A modern day Rapunzel story filled with all the flair of a fairy tale,
Shirley Peters
Jun 04, 2021 rated it really liked it
Fun, easy read novellas. A New Beginning was definitely my favorite. A wonderful modern twist on the Rapunzel. An Ever After Summer was a fun retelling of Beauty and the Beast; however, translating the occasional French threw me out of the story. Gwen and the Three Dates retold Goldilocks and the Three Bears. It went overboard on the cliches, but it admitted to that fact so it was fun rather than annoying. Unkissable was an amazing story once I got beyond the switch to 1st person. It was extreme ...more
Andi
Jun 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: empty-shelf-2021
This was an enchanting collection of fairytale stories. I read them while I was in the hospital and just loved them!

Each of the authors added their own flair to the story creating something completely unique. The characters were fun and quirky.

I think my favorite was Gwen and the Three Dates. But all of them were fun and enjoyable to read.

Disclaimer:

I received a copy of this book via the publisher. I was not required to write a review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
Holly Bleggi
Jun 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun collection of contemporary retellings of fairytales. I loved how each tale was unique and that you could tell which tale was being retold quickly. I liked that they had a Christian element to them. I really enjoyed each of the stories and thought this was a great read for a summer’s day.

I received a complimentary book from publishers, publicists, and or authors.  A review was not required and all opinions and ideas expressed are my own.
Paula Marie
Jun 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Ah! Fantastic retelling is some favorite fairy tales! I so enjoyed each authors book that I stayed up late to finish it, then had to let it sit with me before I could move on to the next one!

These ladies are fabulous authors!
Marie Pinkham
Jun 02, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Fun!

A delightful grouping of contemporary stories based on some favorite fairy tales. Each one was a fun and unique take on some of the classics to provide hours of delicious reading pleasure. So grab a copy, head for the hammock or the beach and indulge.
Pam
Jun 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is a fun collection of fairy tales with a contemporary twist. A New Beginning by Andrea Boyd tells the story of Cacie, a modern day Rapunzel, and Drake, who helps her adjust to her new life. In Toni Shiloh's An Ever After Summer, Bellamy goes to Paris to do restoration work in manor house's library. She helps the owner turn from a "beast" back to his normal self. This was one of my favorite stories, perhaps since I really like The Beauty and the Beast. Gwen and The Three Dates by Teresa Tys ...more
Jaycee Weaver
May 24, 2021 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I sure enjoyed writing Unkissable, and the other three tales were a joy to read! Excellent retellings (I'm not biased or anything LOL). ...more
Samantha L
May 29, 2021 rated it really liked it
Cute, not insanely over the top, Christian romance

The fairy tale thing felt more natural in the first two stories and a bit contrived in the latter two. I think this is the first Christian fiction I've read that has tried retelling fairy tales, actually. So kudos and maybe this will inspire more.
Emily F - Seriously Sweet Reads
Sweet Christian takes on fairytales!

This was a sweet Christian take on four fairytales. I enjoyed reading new-to-me authors and an old favorite. Each story was well-done and had an epilogue, which I loved! This was a sweet and clean read, I'd rate it PG for kissing.
William Lex
Goodreads Librari...: Cover and author removal 6 33 Apr 14, 2021 08:45AM

• Rocco (Lantern Beach Blackout: The New Recruits #1)
  • Axel  (Lantern Beach Blackout: The New Recruits #2)
  • All At Once (Walker Beach Romance #0.5)
  • All That Really Matters
  • The Heart of the King: Contemporary Christian Romance (Tiaras & True Love Book 1)
  • Mountain Survival (K-9 Search and Rescue #3)
  • Redemption of a Prince (The Princes of New Sargasso Book 4)
  • Plot Twist
  • Can't Buy Me Love (Deep Haven Collection, #2)
  • Safe and Sound (Lantern Beach Guardians #3)
  • Seeking Sanctuary (Widow's Peak Creek)
  • The Number of Love (The Codebreakers, #1)
  • Night Hawk (Nighthawk Security #3)
  • Glory Girl: Daring to Believe in Your Passion and God’s Purpose
  • End Game (Capital Intrigue, #1)
  • The Ice Swan
  • A Dance in Donegal
  • The Wedding Dress
Note: If you are a reviewer who would like a free eBook copy of Securing Aisling, just ask for it! If you have a website and would like to give away an eBook copy of Securing Aisling, just ask for it!
I am just getting started and I'm really flying by the seat of my pants here, so if you have any ideas of how I can promote my book, feel free to contact me. Any help is appreciated.

I mainly read Chri