Start by marking “The Trouble with J.J.” as Want to Read:
The Trouble with J.J.

The Trouble with J.J.

Just what Genna Hastings needed, a conceited creep of a new neighbor with rippling muscles, mile-wide shoulders, and a wicked Jack Nicholson smile that could melt stone! It wasn't often that women resisted star quarterback J.J. Hennessy, but he was ready to trade all the cover girls he'd dated for the adorable lady next door. With his summer sky eyes and kisses that stole ...more
Paperback, Loveswept #253, 192 pages
Published May 1st 1988 by Bantam Books

Mindy
Oct 15, 2010 added it
Shelves: modern, 0-stars-dnf
There are few things that annoy me more in books than having a heroine that I hate. I ended up not reading the last few pages of the book because I just couldn't stand the girl anymore. First she wants JJ to love her, then she can't believe he really does even after he proposes marriage in a very elaborate setting. And once he convinces her he's not joking, she still makes him practically beg her to accept him. I usually love Hoag's books, but this was just terrible.
Quinn
Aug 28, 2009 rated it liked it
This may have rated higher than 3 stars as it was a sweet romance, but unfortunately it is very dated. Page 3: "His black hair was sheared off on top in a spiky, grown-out crew cut but trailed down his thick neck in back." Yikes!
Barb
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just what Genna Hastings needed, a conceited creep of a new neighbor with rippling muscles, mile-wide shoulders, and a wicked Jack Nicholson smile that could melt stone! It wasn't often that women resisted star quarterback J. J. Hennessy, but he was ready to trade all the cover girls he'd dated for the adorable lady next door. With his summer sky eyes and kisses that stole her sanity and her willpower, J. J. was impossibly charismatic, magnificently male—and a bachelor father who was in danger o ...more
Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'?
Genna Hastings, had returned home early from her vacation since she had sprained her ankle. Shortly after getting out of the car, she is hit in the head by the kids in the neighborhood who were playing football. They had been using her yard while she was gone and playing with J.J. Hennessey, the Hawks quarterback. Genna, had no idea who he was, but was definitely taken aback when she saw his yard full of pink flamingos. As if that wasn't bad enough, his whole bad boy exterior was enough to scare ...more
Becky
Sep 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
J. J. is hilarious! He wears an earring, has a daughter, and has a manequin in his front yard! Along with several flamingos! And for plain 'ole Genna next door, this is just too much. But when the two of them meet, the chemistry is more than either one imagined and J.J. is just arrogant enough to pursue it. He comes up with a plan for them to spend time together and even thought Genna knows it's a bad idea, she believes him to be sincere, so she agrees to help him out.

J.J. is also a football pla
Kelley
I definitely like her thrillers much better since she really seems to have found her niche there. But this was a cute one. Funny and sexy. It was pretty apparent it was an older novel too, though it did read sometimes like it had been updated to be more suited to present day, rahter thant the 15 or years ago that it was written.
Jan (the Gryphon)
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mary, Donna Jo
Recommended to Jan (the Gryphon) by: the flamingoes
Shelves: romance
Fun read: a step or two up from the one-hour romance. Replete with flamingoes, a dog, baking, flaky relatives, etc.
Ashley Berry
Lighthearted, fast paced book.
Ruth
Jul 31, 2009 rated it liked it
cute fun early category romance has been reissued.
Shauna
Mar 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Jared Jay Hennesey, aka JJ, a well known football player just moved in next door to Genna Hastings. The pink flamingo’s in the front yard, mannequin mascot, loud boozey barbeques and noisy friends did not make a good impression on Genna. Genna is hired by JJ to help him look like a responsible Dad to keep custody of his daughter.

This was a fun summer romance. I felt that the love scene details were over emphasized. It distracted from the true feelings that were occurring between JJ and Genna.

All
Amy
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun, sweet, sexy romance. Written and set in the 1980s, it feels like a small town in that time period. I enjoyed getting to know Genna and J.J. and watching the comedy of errors that occur due to mis- (or lack of) communication. We get a glimpse of J.J.'s family toward the end of the book and they are a hoot! They show up again in another one of her novels, Magic, which features J.J.'s brother. This is a great, quick read for anyone who enjoys a lighthearted, romantic comedy.
Karen Sheldon
I have to admit that this was definitely not what I expected--it was just OK; if one wanted to read a frilly romance, this book is for them. I had a tendency to scan through a lot of the book as it just wasn't written with the depth that I usually find with this author.
Julia
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fun vacation read. Will definitely get the rest in the series.
Our_orders
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
I suppose it is a romance but it drives me crazy when a couple can't just communicate. In this book the girl is so stupid she can hardly see the nose on her face.
Mary
Apr 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
Unreadable
Liz O'Connor
It was okay. A little silly but nice romance novel.
J.Q. Rose
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Entertaining, fun and spicy story, but Ms Hoag repeated the "contract" with J.J. over and over and over. Could have eliminated some of that.
Rosepetal78
Dec 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was OK until the end. There is always a misunderstanding followed by dramatics.
Annette
Oct 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rather enjoyed this book except for the female lead. I gave it four instead of five stars just because of her. She was excessively annoying. Genna Hastings, kindergarten teacher and baker extraordinaire, returns early from vacation due to an accident on the tennis court. She returns to find her dream home next door has been taken over by some idiot that has pink flamingos all over the lawn and has cut the grass in diagonal stripes. And to add insult to injury there is a busty looking mannequin ...more
Kari
Jan 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook, 2012
From what I can tell, this was Tami Hoag's first book. Like a lot of romantic suspense and mystery writers, she got her start writing contemporary romance. She has come a long way from this first book! While I did enjoy The Trouble with J.J., I didn't love it. The one thing that I didn't really care for was Genna. She was too wimpy for me. JJ was such a great character and so obviously head over heels for Genna, but she just can't see it. Instead of confronting JJ about his feelings, she becomes ...more
Jen A.
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, audiobooks
Mom picked this one up for a long car trip, knowing that the whole family enjoys Tami Hoag. But she didn't realize it was a romance, or that it was written in 1988 (one of Hoag's first books, if not the first). It shows.

There's a lot of similes here - "His eyes were like" and "his body was like" - and the relationship between Genna and JJ is so repetitive and slow that you begin to wish that Hoag would slip into thriller mode and kill one of them off.

Genna's an insecure nutcase and a level-hea
Maura
Barbara ★
I really enjoyed this book. J.J. was a totally off-the-wall guy who desperately needed someone to take him in hand and curb his individuality or else he might lose his daughter. Luckily Genna Hastings is up to the task of bringing J.J. back down to earth. Unfortunately, J.J. made a terrible first impression on Genna and she is reluctant to get involved but Alyssa is such a sweet child that Genna soon does a 180 and realizes that J.J. is not all that he appears.

How's this for romantic fodder:
She'
Fran
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Was out of reading material last week and checked this book out partly because I really admire her work and because of the pink lawn flamingoes on the cover. I rarely read romance, but come to find out that this 1988 book was Tami Hoag's first book. She changed her genre later. It was really ridiculously silly. J.J., a famous, party boy quarterback (maybe Joe Namath?) moves next door to Genna, an uptight kindergarten teacher and they are lustily attracted to one another. It was a revelation, how ...more
Aarann
DNF at 34%.

There was nothing wrong with this book, really, I just wasn't particularly invested in it. J.J. was a really adorable male lead, especially for a book written in the 80s when a lot of romance authors were using rapey heroes and spineless twit heroines. He was funny and cute and kind of vulnerable and a little weird and I dug him. I didn't dig the heroine, Genna, so much, but she had started to get better by the time I put the book down.

This one just didn't hit with me. As much as I li
Hazel *Craves the Angst Reviews*
I've been a Tami Hoag fan for years now so when I found this book from her earlier days as a romance writer, I thought I would give it a try. I should have left it on the shelf! Boring, lame, unexciting, short cut scenes and set in the 80's where spiked hair and Hawaiian shirts were as popular as Tom Selleck (who was mentioned at least twice). Just not a good read for me. But on the upside, it did have some cute and sweet moments, however I'll stick with her later thriller/suspense novel works.
Tammy
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was mediocre. It became better as I got further into it. I just always have to ask, as I do w/tv shows also, do people just not talk? If they want to know something, do they just not speak up?? Especially if it's something important like marriage?
The humor of the book was great though. I wonder if everyone has an Aunt Roberta. If not, they need one.
I felt there were a couple of avenues left open. Definitely the pregnancy - too many coincidences. Also the brown packet given to the schoo
Lesly
Nov 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Trouble With J.J is about a women and a man. J.J moves in her neighborhood. He is a football player. He also has a child, but the mother and him aren't together. The mother's sister thinks that he is not a good parent. So J.J asks help from her neighbor, which she did and they soon have a relationship. At the end they got married.

I like this book, because it's interesting. I like it a lot. It haves a good ending, in fact I really like the ending. The ending was sweet, so I really think you sho
Anita
Mar 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I love a great romance! This one has romance, humor, sex and football (sort of). When Superbowl star, MVP, Quarterback J.J. Hennessy moves in next door to kindergarten teacher Genna Hastings, the fireworks start. Jared is looking to change his carefree life as a playboy bachelor because his daughter has moved in with him. Genna wants no part of him. That changes when he hires her to be his "Imange Consultant". Genna has been deeply hurt before but can't help loseing her hart to Jared.
Gjbates
« previous 1 3 next »

• When Twilight Comes (Mists of Fernhaven #1)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Frontier Courtship
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Hunting the Demon (Demon Hunters, #2)
  • Double Dare (Harlequin Blaze #324)
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins, #1)
  • The Captive
  • Good Girls Don't
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • The Cheating Curve
  • Straight Up (Wild Hart Saga, #2)
Tami Hoag is the #1 internationally bestselling author of more than thirty books published in more than thirty languages worldwide, including her latest thrillers—BITTER SEASON, COLD COLD HEART and THE 9TH GIRL. Renowned for combining thrilling plots with character-driven suspense, Hoag first hit the New York Times Bestseller list with NIGHT SINS, and each of her books since has been a bestseller. ...more