Start by marking “Man of Her Dreams” as Want to Read:
Man of Her Dreams

Man of Her Dreams

(Quaid Horses #2)

When Rylan Quaid proposed to Maggie McSwain at his sister's wedding, joy and fierce disappointment warred in her heart. She'd loved him forever, wanted him desperately. But could he really be so insensitive that he would suggest it was time he settled down, and she might as well be the one he did it with? Maggie refused to be his practical choice for a bride; she insisted ...more
Mass Market Paperback, Bantam Loveswept #331, 185 pages
Published May 1st 1989 by Bantam Books

To ask other readers questions about Man of Her Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man of Her Dreams

Vintage
Shoot me now!

Listened to the CD version.

Incredibly dated romance from Tami Hoag. TH is a pretty good writer in regard to romances and an even better writer when it comes to scaring the pants off of you as well as creeping you out with her suspense/thrillers. Deeper Than the Dead, Ashes to Ashes, and especially The 9th Girl WILL CURL YOUR HAIR! This snoozearama left my hair sad and flat.

The premise is the h has been in love with her best friend's brother since college. He is a great, big, stupid
Alison Smith
Jan 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The was clearly not the book I expected, and I was disappointed. For one thing, I listened to the audio book, and the fake southern accents drove me crazy. For another, the drama was so forced and ridiculous that I found myself saying, "Oh, come ON!!" many, many times throughout the book. The whole thing was stupid - the plot, the way they treated each other, and even the cussing ("Jiminey Creepers" was the best they could do).

Eye roll after eye roll. Don't know what I was thinking.
Kristy Trauzzi
Jan 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Kristy by: no one
Anita
Mar 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Ryland owns a horse farm and things are looking really good for him. His prize jumper is going to stud and should earn him a whole lot of money. He thinks it is time to get married and has picked Maggie. He thinks they will be a good fit. Because his experience with Love has been all bad, he wants nothing to do with it.

Magggie has loved Ryland from the moment she laid eyes on him. He is the brother of her best friend. When he proposes, for about 30 seconds she is the happiest woman on the planet
Gail
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nice little book. One of those where the heroine is out to prove to the hero that he does too know how to love. It leans toward the light-hearted and lusty. A totally enjoyable bit of fluff set on a jumping and equestrian competition horse farm in Virginia. It took me a minute to change my mental gears, which were expecting Texas or Montana, but it's in the first few pages and I was adjustable. I believe the book was written to be a bit of light enjoyment and it succeeded in its intent. I liked ...more
Debbe
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
audiobook Old school so I'll forgive it. "Gosh Almighty Mary Margaret!" Really?!
Tia
Feb 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Maggie has been in love with Rylan since she was a little girl. When her best friend and Rylan's sister got married, Rylan too realized that he was getting old and needed to settle down. Rylan asked Maggie if she'd marry him but did it in such a way, it wasn't even a question. So Maggie threw champagne in his face and stormed off.

After a while of being sad Maggie dusted herself off and decided to seduce Rylan any chance she got. She even flirted with other men to make Rylan jealous and he was te
Marianne
Aug 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Man of Her Dreams is the 2nd in the Quaid Horses series by Tami Hoag. When Maggie McSwain gets a long desired marriage proposal from Rylan Quaid, the man she's been secretly in love with for 9 years, she had hoped for something better than "I suppose we could just as well get married". In fact, she's so dismayed, she throws her champagne in his face. She wants to marry him, but when he lays out all the practical reasons, she feels the most important one is missing: he has never told her he loves ...more
Elizabeth Meadows
I only listened to this because it was in a box of audio books that I acquired in a lot from a sale. It started out pretty good but I did not enjoy it overall. It was basically about a young woman whose boyfriend asks her to marry him, but only for practical reasons. She does not want to marry him unless he loves her. So she primarily uses sex and sex appeal to try to get him to fall in love with her. This goes against all of the moral principles that I have ever been taught so I did not identif ...more
Maura
I almost had to stop in the middle of the book because I couldn't stop laughing whenever our ultra rough, rugged and manly cowboy hero would say "Jeepers cripes!" or "Crimeny!" At one point he got so angry he actually said "Hell and damnation!" At other times I thought this book was beyond ridiculous what with Maggie deciding she's going to make Ryland fall in love with her by wearing sexy clothes (confusing love and lust much?) and Ryland's ridiculous reverse psychology ideas... This is one of ...more
Tess Mertens-Johnson
Jan 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nothing like a feisty woman to tame a man!
Maggie and Ry and the woman and man. They have know each other for years, and were dating for six months (no sex) and he pops the question at a wedding in a very "if you haven't got anything else going on" kind of way. She lets him have it.
The rest of the book is Maggie being headstrong and Ry being a big dumb guy who can't tell how he feels, and when he tries it comes out wrong.
I enjoyed the banter back and forth and the sex did happen.
In the end, all w
Jeanne
May 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
This is one of Tami Hoag's "little" romance novels, written before she started writing suspense thrillers. It was a quick read and predictable. The story is set in the horse country of Virginia, near Charlottesville. Ry and Maggie were likable characters and I loved the two old ladies, particularly the ribald one.
Coleen
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
In an attempt to read more female mystery writers, I saw and bought this book by Tami Hoag. Her name had been referenced as a good mystery author. Unfortunately, this book must have been one of her early books and involved romance. Ugh. Sorry, but despite her decent writing, the story was yukky to me. Althoug obviously it got a good author writing and headed for many years of,success.....
Carrie
This was a quick and easy read. Especially since I listened to it. I needed something light to listen too while doing housework and this one fit the bill.

On top of that, it was light enough that I enjoyed it. Sometimes reading a 'fru fru' story with a happy ending just what we all read. I enjoy them for there simplicity.
Darcy
May 16, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, audio-book, romance
This one was a predictable older romance, but still cute. Ryland the clueless guy, Maggie the woman who knows exactly who she wants. At times there games back and forth were funny, but mostly you wanted to shake both of them and yell at them to grow up. I was happy when the "friend" thing went away.
Tina
Nov 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This story definitely sizzled; I enjoyed all the antics of the main characters as they tried to find ways to convince each other that they should be together. The romance and humor made the story very enjoyable. Definitely recommend to others.
Wendy
This book seemed to keep missing the mark. Everytime something would happen there seemed to be a let down. I realize this book was written as a Harlaquin type novel, but I feel it truely missed some opportunities.
Jeanne (love2cook)
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A good little romance. Maggie McSwain is in love with Rylan Quaid. However, Rylan doesn't want to be in love with anyone or so he thinks. He asks Maggie to marry him, but his proposal didn't have any love with it. Maggie is crushed and determined that he will love her, and ask her again.
Melanie♥
Two stars for the predictable story.
One star for the narrator's horrible accent. The reader did a good job on the narrative part of the story, but when she did the accents, it made me cringe! I can't believe I listened to the whole thing.
Kristal
May 13, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love Tami Hoag's books, but it was really hard to read this one. If I read "Jeepers cripes" or "sugar" or "Lord" one more time, I was going to throw the book. I'm glad her books have gotten better through out the years since this book and that her sense of character has greatly improved!
Felicia
Jun 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Predictable Harlequin Romance type novel I expected, but (gag) not all the "Well, Sugar" and "Gosh, darn it, Mary Margaret!"(s). I don't care for foul language, but neither do I like the forced sweetness of Southern substitutions.
Tammy
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book WAY better than the other recent romance books from her that I've read lately. This main female had a backbone and spunk. The story was interesting. It still went a little long in the "I can't tell her I love her" drama, but better than the previous ones!
Maggie
Jul 08, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute but predictable. I liked "Rumor Has It" better.
SheLove2Read
Jan 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Dated and slightly silly.
Kristen
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, series
Liked this book better than the first one in this series.
Charlene
Dec 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Pretty standard read.
Allison
I like this book. Rylan was a funny country boy. The story was predictable but good.
Michelle Haxton
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute story. I didn't realize when I picked it up that it wasn't a standalone novel, so I felt like I was missing something in some parts.
Luz Trevino
Dec 21, 2008 rated it liked it
It was okay. Her other novels about murder and suspense are better than her romance novels.
Carrie
Not much story and not great writing. It was okay.

• Blue Velvet
  • Undressed (To Protect and Serve, Heroes in Uniform, #2)
  • A NASCAR Holiday 3
  • Claiming Her Billion-Dollar Birthright (Dynasties: The Jarrods #1)
  • Jessica (Sunfire, #6)
  • The Emperor's New Clothes
  • Room for Love
  • The Millionaire Meets His Match (Duke Brothers #1)
  • So Enchanting
  • Snowflakes on the Sea
  • Mr. November (PI & Men To The Rescue, #5)
  • Elena Undone
  • The Seduction of Scandal (Scandals and Seductions, #5)
  • Baby, Come Home (Southern Roads, #2)
  • Home for the Holidays
  • Target Underwear and a Vera Wang Gown: Notes from a Single Girl's Closet
  • One True Love (Cupid, Texas, #0.5)
  • Board Stiff (A Dead-End Job Mystery, #12)
Tami Hoag is the #1 internationally bestselling author of more than thirty books published in more than thirty languages worldwide, including her latest thrillers—BITTER SEASON, COLD COLD HEART and THE 9TH GIRL. Renowned for combining thrilling plots with character-driven suspense, Hoag first hit the New York Times Bestseller list with NIGHT SINS, and each of her books since has been a bestseller. ...more

Quaid Horses (3 books)