Start by marking “52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity (Perigee Book)” as Want to Read:
52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity (Perigee Book)

52 Projects: Random Acts of Everyday Creativity (Perigee Book)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  383 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Jeffrey Yamaguchi extends an invitation to indulge one's inner artist by committing yourself to one creative project a week for 52 weeks. 52 Projects chronicles the author's artistic journey over the course of one year and how it changed his life-and also offers 52 jumping-off points for the reader's own creative inspiration:

- Frame a picture you've drawn, painted, or ph
Published November 1st 2005 by Perigee Trade

To ask other readers questions about 52 Projects, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 52 Projects

Meg
Sep 12, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: myself in ninth grade
Shelves: 2007
Some of it was okay, but a lot of the "project" ideas were without regard to the boundaries of other people. Snapshots of sleeping lovers and friends, taping a conversation and then sending it to the person you were speaking with years later... hmm. I suppose it's up to the project maker to decide where to take something, though.

Some of the projects seemed straight from a beginning writer's workshop and didn't seem sparkling or creative enough to warrant inclusion in yet another book.

Overall, t
Shannon
Dec 03, 2007 rated it did not like it
Eh. I felt like it was the same type of project over and over. There were a couple that I thought were good but weren't really productive. His projects were more for the college boy with ADD who has too much time on his hands, not so much for the mother of 3 who wants to use her creative time for something useful.

I did like what he wrote about everyone being able to be creative as well as his chapter on giving projects as gifts.
Mycala
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book, and the fact that the author gets it that creativity comes in many forms, including creating goodies in the kitchen! I sometimes beat myself up that I'm not achieving bigger goals creatively and this book reminded me that as long as I'm creating, it could be just a small project that lasts an hour. It doesn't have to be some colossal thing. I sometimes make it more difficult than it has to be. (The down side to a Type A personality I guess...) At any rate, I love all the ideas ...more
Christen
Nov 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club-2
My assignment for book club was to read this book and pick a project to do. I have to report on my project at book club. I have it narrowed down to 2 projects:

No. 1: Get copies of letters you and a friend wrote to each other; make copies of the letters and mail them to your friend. I would like to do this project - I just don't even know where to begin looking for the letters I would like to use.

No. 40: Put together a collection of pictures from every home/place you have ever lived. Obviously,
Angela
Oct 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked this up at 2nd & Charles because when I flipped through there were a few ideas that intrigued me (go to www.52projects.com and you can see all the ideas that are in the book). It is more than just the projects listed though...there are a few fun projects listed near the page numbers (page 80 - plan a picnic for the first day it reaches 80 deg), and there are some essays on projects - what they can do for you. The best idea was to not let them fall away -- finish your projects. Even ...more
Amy
Jan 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafty-books
Just picked up this little gem from the library...loving it! I think I may need to buy it! The projects are interesting, it's not so much as a creativity challenge, but an idea to spark a project! One I just looked at was: Make your house into an art gallery (invite some friends). blow up your photos, buy some original art, make some art, whatever! I started to get all kinds of ideas when I read that...check this one out for sure. Haven't been to the website yet, but he has a few tied to this bo ...more
Sarah Key
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010
"Project #39: Go some place, alone. Once you are there, take a picture of yourself using the self-timer. Immediately after taking the picture, leave, and never go back to that place again. Ever." - Strangely enough, this seems like a pretty liberating idea to me. Just as shaving off all of my hair seems like it would be liberating as well. Eh, this alternative sounds less dangerous. We'll go with that. (I cannot be trusted with sharp objects.)

If you want to read the 52 projects without having to
Jan Polep
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
OOOOOh...what a choice this would be for "One Book, One Community". Participants could report back on projects and/or choose one to do as a community. Okay, some of these projects are a little too wild but many are just what I needed to push me over the edge into actively spicing up my life, my libraries, and the lives of my friends and family. So, beware. No spoiler alerts..want you to discover the projects for yourself. I'm buying my own copy of this one.
Elizabeth
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this slim little book about making and doing - and why we make and do. He takes the idea of projects far beyond the usual craftiness, encouraging the reader to try new things, make memories, and give back while fueling your own creativity and engagement with yourself, your loved ones, and the world. I would like to give this book as a Christmas present to all of my loved ones - or at least those that are inclined toward self-reflection.
Erica
Jun 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007
Do you like being creative? Do you have a bunch of unfinished projects laying around, collecting dust? Do you have a project in mind, but just don't know how to begin? If so, this is the right book to get you moving. Besides listing 52 different fun projects to get you motivated, the author talks about his own love of being creative. Best of all, he assures us that it's okay to mess up - it's all part of the process.
Sandybear76
Apr 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
I liked the book as he talked about having creativity in your life, giving up TV to have time to create, etc. But the projects left much to be desired. OK, a couple projects were interesting but most of them - ah,no. One project suggested that you find letters friends had written to you, make copies and then send the letters back to your friend.
Emily Von pfahl
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! It had lots of great ideas to inspire creativity without making you feel like you had to do them exactly as written, or that you need tons of equipment or really advanced skills. I just wish he had spent less time writing about why projects are important. Preaching to the choir!
Giselle Scotdeerie
Jan 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: crapfest
I'm not sure that going somewhere for the first time, taking your photo there and then NEVER GOING BACK THERE AGAIN is my idea of creative. Oh, wait, I *am* sure --- it's NOT. If there's a reason for this, I missed it. Sounds stupid, not creative, to me. You lost me there and I never came back. Oh, wait, I guess this is one place I really won't be revisiting.
Keshia
May 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for igniting creativity and an alternative to other common forms of entertainment (i.e. television). I just wish that more random acts included. Admittedly, I refer to this book often for ideas on creative things to do.
Elizabeth
Nov 05, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
4.5/5

I really, really like the concept of this book. Right up my alley, even if not all the projects Yamaguchi suggests are ones I care to tackle. Many of them are, though, and I am definitely inspired to make this approach to creativity a more formal part of my routine : )
Becky
Sep 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
First read: November 12, 2010. I bought a copy to read it again! This time around, I have seen Ikiru and read Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way (many times). My ideas flowed and I have a hefty list of project ideas written down in my Commonplace Book - another project. Whoop!
Rebecca V.Y
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Very inspirational selection of projects, it seems there is something for everyone. I have completed and enjoyed many of these projects, and from them I have thought up my own projects to complete too. I loved it and often re-read it to get more ideas for future projects.
Miss Lemon
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Total fun. Started as a on-line share ideas sort of thing and morphed into this book. Some fun and some strange ways to explore your creative and wacky side. Might be a good book to look through to find fun mini-projects for your class.
Chris
Jan 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is a treasure trove of ideas and inspiration! Not just for crafters or artists, but anyone who is interested in exploring their inner world, journaling their lives, viewing the world in a new way. Awesome book!
Jennifer Vandenberg
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book to get your creative juices flowing. His ideas are simply jumping-off ideas. You will find yourself coming up with something unique. Whenever I feel blah I look through this book and my mind starts churning again.
Alissa
Nov 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People Looking for a Project
Recommended to Alissa by: Tracy
I read this for one of my book clubs and did 1 of the projects. It does have some great project ideas, some being self discovery-ish while others are quite narcisstic, but a lot of them are a bit cheezy. My husband and I got a lot of good laughs reading some of the project ideas aloud.
Relyn
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: hmmmmm.....
Recommended to Relyn by: spotted at the library
This was a fun book. Not great, but fun. It sparked a lot of ideas and the umph to get up and go DO something.
Traci
May 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was my choice for book club. I love the idea of this book, but the author, not so much.
Meryl
Aug 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Too much introduction (I skipped it), but some of the projects were fun. Definitely more for writers though.
Cami
Mar 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: project minded people
This is a great place to look if you want to begin a project with meaning. There are a lot of great ideas here, much more than 52.
There's also a website. Just google: 52 projects
Amanda
Jan 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
A great creative inspiration!
Sandy
May 18, 2009 rated it liked it
A little more touchy-feely than I thought it was going to be--lots of list making and fewer actual interesting projects. Cute, though.
Katy Walters
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed It is inspiring and really holds the attention, a book that will stay on my bookshelf. Lots of great ideas to develop creativity.
Becky
Jul 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
My friend Jeff wrote this book. It's a good starting point if your creative juices need a little stir.
Kate
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Looking for a little inspiration? This book is tremendously creative and will help you imagine ways to live out loud.
  • Journal Revolution: Rise Up & Create! Art Journals, Personal Manifestos and Other Artistic Insurrections
  • Living Out Loud: Activities to Fuel a Creative Life
  • Kaleidoscope: Ideas & Projects to Spark Your Creativity
  • Life Artist
  • 365: A Daily Creativity Journal: Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life!
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • Visual Chronicles: The No-Fear Guide to Creating Art Journals, Creative Manifestos & Altered Books
  • Taking Flight: Inspiration and Techniques to Give Your Creative Spirit Wings
  • The Big Picture... Scrapbook Your Life and a Whole Lot More
  • Creative Time and Space: Making Room for Making Art
  • Living Artfully: Create the Life You Imagine
  • The Awe-manac: A Daily Dose of Wonder
  • Artist Trading Card Workshop: Create. Collect. Swap.
  • The Art Journal Workshop: Break Through, Explore, and Make it Your Own
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Messy Thrilling Life: The Art of Figuring Out How to Live
  • Blogging for Bliss: Crafting Your Own Online Journal: A Guide for Crafters, Artists  Creatives of all Kinds