Start by marking “Starship Troopers” as Want to Read:
Starship Troopers

Starship Troopers

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  167,867 ratings  ·  4,806 reviews
Starship Troopers is a classic novel by one of science fiction's greatest writers of all time and is now a Tri-Star movie. In one of Heinlein's most controversial bestsellers, a recruit of the future goes through the toughest boot camp in the universe -- and into battle with the Terran Mobile Infantry against mankind's most frightening enemy.
Published July 15th 1982 by Berkley (first published December 1959)

To ask other readers questions about Starship Troopers, please sign up.
Chris Topher If you make broad assumptions about a person based upon their reading choices, my guess is you use uninformed, simplistic judgments to give yourself…moreIf you make broad assumptions about a person based upon their reading choices, my guess is you use uninformed, simplistic judgments to give yourself an unfounded feeling of superiority to others. Disagree?

It's not hard to state a condescending opinion in the form of a question in an attempt to disguise it as a desire to spark conversation. It's much harder to start an intelligent discourse about a topic that you have a strong negative opinion of without making your opinion the topic of discussion.

In short, less ad hominem attacks, more book criticism. (less)
Kendall Moore Well, that depends. If your expecting a slam-bang SF actioner you'll be disappointed because the story deals with the political implications of…moreWell, that depends. If your expecting a slam-bang SF actioner you'll be disappointed because the story deals with the political implications of individual responsibility in a philosophical tone. Basically, a lot of intellectual discussion and very little action. Don't let this dissuade you though because the themes are profound and the setting is interesting. Besides, when it does show action it puts the Awe in awesome. Read it. (less)

really liked it 4.00  ·
 ·  167,867 ratings  ·  4,806 reviews

Manny
My first impulse is to dismiss it as an appalling piece of militaristic propaganda, whose one saving grace is that it's at least much better than the movie. But that wouldn't be doing the book justice. With all its faults, I simply loved it as a 14 year old, and I'm in no way alone there. Why is it so fascinating?

Let me start by dismissing a couple of possible theories. One reviewer wonders if it's deadpan satire. I suppose, when you see some of Heinlein's later books (Stranger in a Strange Land
Lyn
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this back in early high school, maybe 26-30 years ago, and over time my memory of the book had been diluted by memories of the film and by thoughts of a similar Hugo award winning novel, The Forever War by Joe Haldeman.

I’m glad that I re-visited this one, because in the 30 years since I first read it, I changed. I became a husband and a father, and significant to my appreciation of this work, went to boot camp, OCS, and Iraq. From this new perspective, I think I understand and valu
Paul Dura
Apr 18, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starship Troopers is listed amongst the recommended books by the United States Air Force for a reason. For those who plan on pursuing a military career, this book exhibits the very ideals upon which our current military standards are based. Camaraderie, Sacrifice, and Responsibility are more than mere words to the protagonist. The distinction between a fighting man and a soldier is made. The distinction between a superior rank and a true officer is made. Johnny Rico is a soldier in more than mer ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I enjoyed this book greatly. While I certainly can't be said to agree with Heinlein on every aspect of life, politics, or theology...I do appreciate where he's coming from in this book. (Remember it's a 1959 book, before the idiotic handling of Vietnam became apparent). There are thought provoking ideas in this book even if it is considered a YA book. Agree or disagree, it's a good read.

By the way, I must say this. It's often (actually more often than not) true that a movie doesn't live up to t
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I first read Starship Troopers as an impressionable teenager. My dad had a lot of SF books around the house, particularly Heinlein's, and I read most of them, except the especially sexy ones that he hid from me. (I read several of them later and hated them. But that's a different story.) And I have vague memories of liking this book - a lot.

So when I decided to reread it as an adult, I was expecting some old-fashioned shoot-up-the-aliens classic pulp SF, like, say, The Puppet Masters.

What I go
Lucas
Mar 08, 2009 rated it did not like it
Where do I even begin? For starters, I should let the reader know that I'm not basing my score on the politics of the book (as laughable as I think they are) but on the plot of the book, or rather the complete lack of a plot in the book. While things do happen, some of them pretty big, Mr. Heinlein has seen fit that we should not be party to any of those things. Instead, he saves the most loving descriptions for daily life at boot camp. Seventy, yes seventy, pages of a two hundred-odd page book ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Starship Troopers, Robert A. Heinlein
Starship Troopers is a military science fiction novel by U.S. writer Robert A. Heinlein. Written in a few weeks in reaction to the U.S. suspending nuclear tests, the story was first published as a two-part serial in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction as Starship Soldier, and published as a book by G. P. Putnam's Sons in December 1959. The story is set in a future society ruled by a world government dominated by a military elite. The first-person na
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

“Nothing of value is free. Even the breath of life is purchased at birth only through gasping effort and pain.”

Since NPH is one of the reasons Starship Troopers remains a favorite film of mine, I think I’ll let him express my sentiments on the paper version . . .

Houston commercial photography

I need to realize that sometimes it’s okay to not read the book. Starship Troopers is such a cult classic – it’s just soooooo bad that it somehow became great. The book, on
Michael
May 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Big nasty communist spiders are attacking Earth and all the planets it has colonized! It's a battle between man and bug, and who is to save us?

I'll tell you who! Guys with really fucking big guns, that's who! With spacesuits that make it so they can jump over buildings, and deflect bullets, and drop from spaceships to the surface of planets without getting hurt! That's who!

These guys get dropped onto planets with their spacesuits and their big guns, and they can incinerate some little brown peo
Michael Finocchiaro
[UPDATED]
Starship Troopers was definitely a page turner and one did feel like he was on the ground with the Mobile Infantry, bouncing around killing Bugs. But. It was also incredibly pro-war and the middle development section got a little long. You remember how great Full Metal Jacket was, but that the great parts were at the very beginning and at the very end? Well, I felt that this book also started and ended with adrenaline rushes but that the middle was a bit flat. That being said, the reali
Donna Backshall
Starship Troopers, the book, is one of my all-time favorites. This military sci-fi novel has all the aspects of hard science fiction I love: an honest and brave protagonist in a ridiculously dangerous situation, controversial politics, space adventures, cool gadgets, and unimaginable aliens.

By contrast Starship Troopers, the movie, is also one of my favorites, but for completely different (and admittedly shallow) reasons. The movie only vaguely resembles the book, but it has hot-hot-oh-SO-HOT ch
Jeff
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
"What do you mean 'They' cut the power? How could they cut the power man they're animals!"

Aliens (sure it's the wrong movie, but a cool quote nevertheless)

The book has very little in common with the movie. The film is something that is ubiquitous on cable. You can probably see the entire thing in snippets just by changing the channels over the course of a year.

In both the film and book, the soldiers battle big bug thingies. The book is only bookended with battle sequences, the rest is training
Tom
Apr 17, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Chock-a-block full of gung-ho jingoism, narrow minded fascist pipe dreams, and casual descriptions of institutional dehumanization as well as violence...basically everything you would expect from a book written in the perspective of a futuristic jarhead. I have never read a book in which I agreed with so little, but loved so much.

Markus
The first book that I read by Robert Heinlein turned out to be a surprise in more than one way. I picked it because it seemed to be the short and fun story among them, and saved his other famous works for later.

The problem with many classics is that they are painfully tedious. The problem with many science fiction novels is that they are mindless entertainment in space. Starship Troopers is neither of these things. It is way more entertaining than the average classic and way smarter than the ave
Bradley
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the original Mil-SF classics!

I've read this before. Several times, even, back when I was a newb when it came to Heinlein or SF in general. You know, pick up the Hugo Award winners and see if I like the author enough to continue on. Twenty books later, (THAT YEAR,) I discovered something. I like Heinlein. A lot.

But not ALL of Heinlein equally. Starship Troopers seemed kinda preachy to me, a little slow, and RAH, RAH, RAH Civic Duty. :) Suffice to say, I liked it pretty well. Caveats: it di
Jenny
Jan 17, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This was terrible and not interesting at all. This book is for people who are interested in the nuances of military training and organization and did not feel like classic science fiction to me. I guess technically it takes place in the future and in space but this is such a minor part of the book that it shouldn't really fall into the sci-fi category. As I entered the last 50 pages, I seriously considered stopping reading. I was confused by the military ranks and didn't care about any of the ch ...more
Ivana Books Are Magic
When I say that Starship Troppers is a novel that has had a profound influence on me, most people look at me like I'm crazy. If they haven't read it themselves, I can see why it might not seem too promising, especially if one isn't a SF fan to start with. Nevertheless, I must stand my ground here. I’ve read this novel a number of times now and one doesn’t reread a novel that many times for no reason. This novel functions wonderfully on many levels. In my opinion that is what makes it so great. I ...more
Manuel Antão
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1996, 2017
If you're into stuff like this, you can read the full review.

Word of warning. I’m going to discourse both on the book and on the Verhoeven’s movie.

He didn't include them as "grunts" probably because the training was sufficiently hard that most wouldn't have made it. If you read the description of the training it wasn't just 12 weeks square-bashing, it reads far more like Special Forces.

It might also have been because he was paying lip service to a society kind of modelled on 50s America where th
Trish
Feb 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's been years since I first saw the movie of the same name so it was about time I finally read this classic.

And boy, those two renditions of the story couldn't be more different. But more about that later.

We follow Juan Rico who enlists with the Federal Reserve and becomes an Infantry Man against his parents wishes. The book opens to one of his company's firefights (it's more a skirmish designed to disrupt the enemy rather than an actual battle). However, after that, as a flashback, we follow
Leonard Gaya
Space exploration has always been the realm of engineers and the military. At the time when Heinlein wrote this novel (the late 1950s), the US Armed Forces had won World War II not so long ago, and were at the same time beefing up their nuclear arsenal against a potential strike from the USSR, sending troops overseas and starting an endless war in Vietnam, and sending the first unmanned missions to the face of the moon!

Starship Troopers is mostly a Bildungsroman about the US Armed Forces (Robert
Randy
Mar 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have seen the movie- forget it. Besides the names, it shares very little with RAH's study on why free men subject themselves to a loss of freedom in order to ensure freedom for others.
This book greatly influenced me when I was a boy- and it still colors my thinking today- 35 years later.
This should be on the reading lists of every high school.

AFTERNOTE!

I would like to correct what appears to be a common misconception about the society described in Heinlein's book:

YOU DID NOT HAVE TO BE

Dan Schwent
Against his family's wishes, Juan "Johnnie" Rico joins the Mobile Infantry and the war against the Bugs. Will he make it out alive?

Yeah, I don't really know what to think about this book. I picked it up solely because it was an inspiration for one of my favorite books, Old Man's War by John Scalzi. While the writing was very good, there was never an "I can't put it down" moment. I'd say ninety percent of the book was Juan Rico's military life. There wasn't a lot of action until the end.

I liked t
R.S. Merritt
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. I was talking about it with my brother last night because he brought up an organization he's doing work for that looks to fund candidates who are community service oriented. One of their goals is to have half the House and Senate be veterans by 2020. I said i thought that was a great idea and that I thought we should go even further and demand all public servants have some sort of military service to achieve a high office. He disagreed and said it takes all types to be a leader a ...more
Apatt
Nov 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-80s-sf, sci-fi
I started reading sci-fi quite intensively in the 80s (as if my life depended on it) and if you had asked me at the time who my favorite of the Big Three of Science Fiction is I would have said Robert A. Heinlein. He was, I thought, the funniest, the liveliest, the least dry, and basically the most badass of the Three. In recent years have been re-reading a lot of classic sci-fi and my answer today would be different. I would place Isaac Asimov first then Arthur C. Clarke and Heinlein would be t ...more
Melissa Rudder
Mar 03, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Robert A. Heinlein’s Starship Troopers did nothing for me. Its cover advertises controversy and boasts of the exciting journey of Johnnie Rico through the intergalactic military camp of the future. It sounded promising; unfortunately, I was not awed or entertained. If anything, I was pleased the novel was a quick read so that I could more readily set it aside.

To follow a character through the ups and downs of boot camp and warfare and to revel in his victories and sympathize with his failings, i
Kat Kennedy
I watched Starship Troopers first. I found it amusing, gory, action based and fluffy. When I read the book I wondered if the directer/script writer had read the same one I had. Turns out that he never finished this book and made the story up as he saw fit. Suddenly everything made sense to me.

As far as pacing and plot go, you won't find any of that here. There isn't much of a plot to this book and the story arc, so to speak, is more like a low lying limbo poll. Straight and short.

What I absolut
TK421
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No doubt that if you're looking at this review, you have probably seen the movie of the same name...not a bad movie, but not a good one either. I read this one in high school after having seen a green placard on I-90 that said "Movie Location: STARSHIP TROOPERS."

I thought that was pretty cool...not many cool things happen in South Dakota, so having a pretty descent (I thought at the time) movie shot in our Badlands made me even more interested in the book. Sometime later, I bought a copy at a us
Mr. Matt
Starship Troopers is a Military Science Fiction classic. It is also a cheesy movie. I watched the movie on Netflix, and then read the book. I'm happy to report that the book is much, much better than the movie.

The story follows Rico, a generic soldier in the Terran Infantry in the lead up to and the full fledged explosion of war against the alien "bug" species. The aliens are kind of like ants in that there is a Queen and a vast army or soldier and worker bugs dedicated to a specific role. These
Jason Koivu
Jul 19, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi, war
While this is sci-fi, it also seems semi-autobiographical. Robert Heinlein was in the Navy and it appears this novel is based on his experiences. He takes us through boot camp, gives a rundown of his invented space corps and finishes up with a short battle with overgrown bugs. Overall it feels like an introductory to a series or little more than an outline, as if Heinlein wanted a walk down memory lane in book form. In fact, if this is any indication, he was very fond of his time in the services ...more
Eric
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A must for sci-fi fans
I had been meaning to read this for a while, and am glad I finally got around to it. I have a bunch of unrelated thoughts, which I'll just list below in no particular order of importance.

- I'm sure I am not the first to note this, but Starship Troopers is nothing like the '90s movie that shares its name -- not in plot, tone, or any other respect, other than a few of the main characters' names being left unchanged. The book is far, far superior.

- This book was very far ahead of its time, in terms
  • Armor
  • 2001: A Space Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #1)
  • The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3)
  • NIGHTFALL & OTHER STOR
  • Protector (Known Space)
  • The Uplift War (The Uplift Saga, #3)
  • A Hymn Before Battle (Posleen War, #1)
  • Dorsai! (Childe Cycle, #1)
  • This Immortal
  • Hammer's Slammers
  • Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion #2)
  • Forever Peace (The Forever War, #2)
  • The Big Time
  • The Stainless Steel Rat (Stainless Steel Rat, #4)
  • Mirror Dance (Vorkosigan Saga, #8)
Robert Anson Heinlein was an American novelist and science fiction writer. Often called "the dean of science fiction writers", he is one of the most popular, influential, and controversial authors of "hard science fiction".

He set a high standard for science and engineering plausibility and helped to raise the genre's standards of literary quality. He was the first SF writer to break into mainstre
“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.” 2960 likes
“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.” 305 likes