Start by marking “Leave It to Chance Volume 1: Shaman's Rain” as Want to Read:
Leave It to Chance Volume 1: Shaman's Rain

Leave It to Chance Volume 1: Shaman's Rain

(Leave It To Chance #1)

Fourteen-year-old Chance Falconer has the occult in her blood. Her father, Lucas Falconer, is the supernatural defender of the Devil's Echo, an amazing city where the supernatural is an everyday occurrence. This is a family tradition handed down from one generation to the next and so Chance feels its time for her training to begin. Her father, however, has other ideas. His ...more
Published October 26th 2002 by Image Comics (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Leave It to Chance Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leave It to Chance Volume 1

Jan Philipzig
Because I’m a Girl?

Chance is the 14-year-old daughter of Lucas Falconer, magician and heroic protector of the fantastic city of Devil's Echo. When Chance expresses the hope to inherit her father’s supernatural secrets and follow in his footsteps, however, the mighty magician replies: “No, Chance, it’s father to son. You’re my daughter. The work is simply too dangerous.” Not surprisingly, Chance objects: “Because I’m a girl? No, dad! No! I’m certain I have it in me... to be a true Falconer.” He w
Seth T.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
During the ‘90s, as comics waded in the gentle throws of evolution, the medium struggled to find its new voice. Comics from the era often suffer from some of the stylistic impoverishments that had latched onto the published form over the previous century. As the books tried to assert themselves as worthy of attention, even many of the best examples of the medium offer sore points that seem stilted when compared to the contemporary product.

Appearing concurrently with Starman, James Robinson’s bet
Kenny Mitchell
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This novel makes you feel like a kid again. The beautiful art & infectious story make you root for Chance from page one. If you are looking for a story unlike anything you've done. Don't leave it Chance (pun intended). It's a wonderful READ!
Marco
Jan 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Dies ist eine weitere Zusammenarbeit von James Robinson und Paul Smith, die nicht nur einzeln Bemerkenswertes in der Comiclandschaft zustande gebracht haben (Robinson mit DCs Starman und Smith mit Marvels Uncanny X-Men), sondern auch mit Golden Age bereits einen beachtlichen Comic geschaffen haben, der aber sehr zu Robinsons Leidwesen als Elseworld verkauft wird.

Die erste Leave It to Chance Miniserie, die hier in Form eines Comicalbums vorliegt (statt des handelsüblichen Trade Paperbacks) ist le
Andrea
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Randomly found this at the library while looking for James Robinson stuff for my husband. Now I need to find the rest of the series...
The Fizza
Young Chance Falconer lives in the city of Devil's Echo and is the daughter of the world's premier paranormal investigator. Her life is a dream! She lives in a castle with fairies in her garden and an Alfred like servant.

She's a celebrity, and not just in her home town. But following the death of her mother during the investigation of one of her father’s greatest cases, a case that left him disfigured, she has been a veritable prisoner in this gilded cage.

Though Chance is ever her father’s daug
Ruhama
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
Chance is the only daughter of Falconer, the city’s Batman-type figure, and she longs to do what her father does. He, however, has said it’s only passed on from father to son, so she cannot get involved. Being a mischievous and curious girl, though, leads Chance down a rapid road to excitement. She frees a dragon, uncovers a mystery and helps send a Toad
God back to where it came from. All is done without her father’s knowledge. This graphic novel is perfect for girls, though boys will enjoy it a
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I remember debating whether to buy the first comic of this series when it came out. I did. But I only bought the first one. Did I read it? I think I did. With the graphic novel, I jumped at the chance to read it again, this time the entire mini series.

The artwork is good, but I was confused by one thing. The eyes of Chance sometimes look like normal eyes, and sometimes they are just small circles, which reminded me of Little Orphan Annie in the newspapers. I guess I really didn’t like that. The
Kirsten
This is a extremely fun comic series, equally well-suited to kids and adults. The series follows Chance Falconer, daughter of the famous occult expert Lucas Falconer. Chance very much wants to be trained as her father's successor, but he is reluctant to do so, thinking that fighting the occult is a man's job -- and also fearing that she will be killed the way Louise Falconer, Chance's mother, was. Ever irrepressible, Chance takes it upon herself to battle the forces of darkness anyway, accompani ...more
Josh
Jul 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kiddos, and fans of less serious comics
Shelves: comics
Strangely compelling, w/a protagonist (Chance) who is a remarkably likeable combination of Robin, Kitty Pryde & Bone. But by comparison with Starman... well, there isn't really a comparison there. This is more of a book for kids, but it's still pretty fun, but there's lots o' the dreaded exposition lurking behind every turn. Well, I don't know if you'd call it that. Thought bubbles. People talking to themselves. In modern comics, these things seem dated. Which could be part of the feel of th ...more
Amanda
Nov 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girls new to comics
Kickass girl detective, a la Nancy Drew, living in a world where demons and goblins are as common (and sometimes less evil) as cops, teachers, and lawyers. Well done and interesting; I am contemplating buying them and am sad that the series only lasted 12 issues. This reminded me of Buffy (demons) and, of course, the indomitable Nancy Drew.
Joe
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Have been picking up graphic novels that I remember really liking from the early and mid 90s and reading them again. Thought I would give Leave it to Chance another spin and so glad I did. The artwork is wonderful and the story of Chance and her Dragon, St. George, is just too cool. Wish there were more works like this. Can't wait for the other 2 volumes tho ship via amazon.
Jdetrick
Paul Smith's art is always beautiful, and James Robinson has created a wonderful world here. It's a perfect all ages book, and would be especially appreciated by little girls, although anyone can enjoy it.
Melissa
Jul 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A tidy little story. Not sure if the rest of the volumes are as episodic as this one, but I do appreciate that in a first issue.

Chance is a great character. She is very relatable and brave and foolhardy at times. And I love me some dragon side-kicks.
Lynne
Mar 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Good clean fun, female protagonist. An accessible Graphic novel for people new to the genre.
Wallace
Mar 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Makes good use of diverse character design to create an easy-to-read, engaging story.
LemontreeLime
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Another 'I forgot i read'. It was fun, but I admit i never did any follow up on finding later issues.
Steve
Nov 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Reread this series recently because I'm giving copies to a friend's kids for Christmas. It's a great series, and the first volume is the best and most self-contained.
Karina
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, comics-and-such
Urban fantasy, young heroine with a dragon buddy, fighting misogyny AND the mob with sass and competence. Kind of like a younger Veronica Mars, with very compelling artwork.
Michael Ruth
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
cool little story.
Sharon
Nov 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Fun, family-friendly. Chance is a good heroine: believable and yet still cool. The art goes well with the story, almost cartoonish but not quite. St. George the Dragon is very cute.
Rachel Rogers
Apr 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Brian handed me another graphic novel and thought I'd enjoy it. He was right. Doesn't have any more of it though.
Jenn Estepp
Pretty cute. A lot of this is set-up, so it was a little harder to get into, but very enjoyable.
Joshua
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
A really cool setting and a nice (if not thoroughly engaging) character. A well told story.
Wayong
Jul 19, 2016
Sebastiaan
rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2012
  • The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec 1: Pterror Over Paris/The Eiffel Tower Demon
  • Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery
  • Ruse, Vol. 1: Enter the Detective
  • The Dreamer Vol 1: The Consequence of Nathan Hale
  • Clubbing
  • The Sign of the Black Rock (Three Thieves, #2)
  • Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)
  • Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 1: A Sea of Troubles
  • Mage, Book Two: The Hero Defined
  • Hopeless Savages: Greatest Hits 2000-2010
  • Hexed
  • Japan AI: A Tall Girl's Adventures in Japan
  • The Robe of Skulls (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #1)
  • Peanutbutter & Jeremy's Best Book Ever
  • A Distant Soil, Vol. 1: The Gathering
  • Meridian, Vol. 1: Flying Solo
  • Proof, Volume 1: Goatsucker
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 1
Paul Smith is a comic book illustrator

Leave It To Chance (3 books)
  • Leave It To Chance Book 2: Trick Or Threat