Start by marking “Indiscreet (Horsemen Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Indiscreet (Horsemen Trilogy, #1)

Indiscreet

(Horsemen Trilogy #1)

A beautiful, young widow seemed like easy prey for the Viscount Rawleigh. In the country visiting his twin brother, Rex longed for a little diversion. But Catherine Winters was a lady of virtue, and she roundly rejected his improper proposal to become his mistress. Since the handsome lord would not be daunted, Catherine fought the feelings he aroused—feelings that brought ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Jove

To ask other readers questions about Indiscreet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indiscreet

Caz
I've given this an A+ for narration and an A for content at AAR.

I’ve been delighted to see a number of Mary Balogh’s older titles are at last being released in audiobook format, and have eagerly pounced on each one as soon as they have been released.

The most recent to appear is Indiscreet, which was originally published in 1997 and which is the first in the author’s Horsemen Trilogy in which the heroes are all linked by bonds of comradeship forged during their military service. An added bonus i
Leona
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, what can I say? This is an extremely powerful and emotional story. I read the entire book in one sitting and was frustrated I had to stop and make dinner. This definitely falls into the top five best romances by MB and definitely one of my personal favorites by her.

If you are a fan of regency romances, I highly recommend. Recently republished after years of being out of print, this book along with the others in The Horseman Trilogy are now finally becoming available.
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ by: Jenn Young

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I don't normally go in for fluffy regencies like this, but Mary Balogh came highly recommended to me by Jenn Young, and I really liked the other Balogh story I read, so I figured, Why not?

Catherine Winters is a virtuous widow who rents a small cottage from the local "royalty", Mr. and Mrs. Adams. Mr. Adams is the twin brother of a viscount, and rather fond of Catherine, and Catherine is sometimes invited to parties at their estate whenever they have odd numbers, because of her manners and qu
Naksed
I really enjoyed the first half of Mary Balogh's regency romance, Indiscreet. Her description of an English country village, with all its hypocrisy, pettiness, secrets, gossip, and worst of all intolerance was well balanced with the charms that a life in the country can hold, including the surrounding beauty of nature, the real, deep, self-sacrificing friendships, the solace, peace, and contentment.

Balogh's characterizations are also spot on. Elegantly worded, sharp, and full of half-smiling ir
Crista
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, series, regency
Boy do I ever love Mary Balogh. Not only are her stories engaging, but they evoke strong emotions and are entirely believable stories that stay true to the regency era.

Indiscreet is no exception to this rule. This is a cleverly thought out plot that I have to admit is slow in the beginning. In my opinion, the true mastery of this novel doesn't come out until after Catherine and Rex are married. After this happens, a little over half way through, things really start to unfold.

Mary Balogh does n
Lyuda
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am so happy the book is going to be released in e-format in February! This is one of my favorite MB's stories and my paper copy is falling apart :).
Preeti ♥︎ (Romance She Reads)
No one writes traditional regencies like MB. She writes so effortlessly and elegantly that one can almost believe she’s an author from that era. Actually I enjoyed the writing more than the story, which tends to sag and draw out at times.

I love the characterization of one and all in the book. I like and admire this very wonderful h, especially knowing all that she’s undergone in the past. The H is a self-centered pleasure-seeking rake of the first order – not really caring if he hurt
Jacob Proffitt
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, audiobook, steamy
While I liked Catherine and Rex, I had some issues with other parts of the story. I kind of enjoyed Rex's misread of her interest and her handling of it was consistent and forthright and I liked how it showed the character of both in all their complexity. I particularly liked how upset Rex was with himself after finding that he had so terribly misread Catherine's intentions, even though he does so repeatedly. I also like that he really does seem to have learned by the time the crisis hit and tha ...more
Ursula
2.5 STARS.
I could not like the hero. Rex was such an arrogant, selfish bastard who ruined a woman's life because he did not understand the word "no". He called her a tease. He called her a bitch. Lovely. Kill him now.

I get the moral- that men SHOULD understand this word, and that when they refuse to, they damage the woman. Catherine's carefully reclaimed life went to shit after Rex bullied his way into it. So (foolishly) I expected a Road to Damascus moment, where he fell to hi
Andrea
DNF at 41% because of THIS:

"Well, this woman prefers insanity to becoming your possession." "Why, you bitch," he said quietly and almost pleasantly. "I do believe you are enjoying yourself. I will give you no further opportunity. You will be plagued with me no longer after tonight, ma'am."

AND OF COURSE SHE FREAKING MARRIES THIS MAN IN THE END!

*takes deep breath*

I know this is an old book. I was prepared to make allowances, even after this charming sentence:

His loin/>"Well,
Wealhtheow
Nov 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, regency
Catherine lives a simple life in a little cottage. Although she is poor she was clearly brought up a lady, and so when the lord and lady of the manor need an extra seat filled at dinner she gets an invitation. This is how she meets the lord's rakish younger twin brother Rex, who is immediately smitten. A few misunderstandings based on his resemblance to his twin ensue, and Rex thinks she's flirting. He forces her to let him walk her home after a ball, and then tries to sleep with her. She rigidl ...more
Starr (AKA Bam Bam) Rivers
I am a huge Mary Balogh fan. I've read all of her books. I think I might have read this series, too, but I am re-reading because I don't recall the characters.

That should have told me something. A warning, perhaps.

Balogh is the queen of slow burn romance. Even when it's lust at first sight it's slow burn. There's more "sense" than "sensibility" in her books. And I do appreciate it when I'm in the mood.

But this one missed the mark for me. I understand why H and
Nefise
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
HAlf of the book, I almost hated the hero for what he did to heroine. She suffered because of his action. He was so arrogant, so sure of himself. Yet I should add, he made amends very well. Also, it made their affection and love more plausible and sweet.
Lindsay
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So...that was a disappointment.

My main problem here is that the H, Rex, is an arrogant, entitled ass for a good portion of the book. Everything starts because Catherine, the h, smiles at him twice, and he takes that to mean she wants to have an affair. Say what? He won't leave Catherine alone, even after she repeatedly tries to get him to. The whole mess that ensues is his fault, and there is one scene in particular that I just couldn't forgive. (view spoiler)So...that was a disappointment.

Yeah, that doesn't work for me. After that, I honestly didn't really care what happened to him. Problem is, (view spoiler) I didn't find the 180 realistic or even satisfying. Also, (view spoiler) Yeah....nope.

I really liked Catherine as an independent woman in her cottage with her own life. I think it sucks that Rex had to go and spoil it for her. I mean, she seemed happy enough when it was all said and done, but I just can't see how one could forget how he treated her initially. I just can't forgive H's that act crappy. There are too many books out there to read where they don't. Plus, super silly melodramatic nonsense right before the ending. Blargh.
Valerie Best
Jul 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
"[Rex] was not at all sure that no meant irrevocably no with Mrs. Catherine Winters. He regretfully suspected that it did, but he was not sure beyond any doubt.
He would be wasting his time to continue pursing her he believed. But, then, he had discovered that there was not anything much more productive with which to occupy his time anyway." (106)

This was the "Romance" genre in 1997, people.
kate
Aly is so frigging bored
Nov 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, historical
I've come to the conclusion that I love this book as much as the first time I've read it :) Mrs. Balogh writes some cool romances :)
Connie Cat
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
2.5 stars. A little too Tra la la and Alas! Woe is Me for my taste. And the narrator, Rosalyn Landor, who is a favorite with many people, didn't work for me. Her female lead voice is beautiful, but her male voices are atrocious, and the over-acting is like a Shakespearean tragedy. By today's standards, the angst is very low-level and the story is a little boring. The sexual tension is almost non-existent and I really didn't care about any of the characters. Blah.

Vikki Vaught
Hmm, this one started out slow, and at one point, I thought I had finally found a book by Mary Balogh that I could not like. As I continued to listen, I got pulled in and by the end, I loved the book.

I liked the heroine but the hero was so arrogant that I didn't think MB would be able to redeem him, but in the end, she worked her magic and turned him into a great hero. Happy reading!
Lorna
4 stars. Narration 5 stars.
Jane
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, colour me surprised as hell. When I decided to give this book a shot, I didn't actually have very high expectations for this mostly new to me author; I've previously only read one book by her and I rated this one quite highly as well.. and to be honest, I have no idea why I haven't dived into more of her stories since this one blew me off my feet. I must fix that error and read more of her stories.

I started reading with low expectations in mind ... and could not stop reading be
Kathryn
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I was ready to call this one of the best I've read in the genre for most of the time I was reading it, esp for its realism in its treatment of hypocrisy in social mores: "She understood all that and was grateful for it. And resentful of it. How helpless women were. The pawns of men. To be tripped up and pitched headlong into the dirt by men, and then to be picked up by them and dusted off and restored to uprightness. But that was the way of the world."

Sadly I find that this novel loses both its
Kelly_Instalove
The ending was better than I remembered, but the hero is still an asshole. I wanted serious groveling.
Mari
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it

Part of the romance/flu binge.

I think I like this best of all of everything I binged. It was less bodice-ripper and more romance and it was light on all of the things that start to annoy me about regency romance. The main male character is kind of a jerk, but not in a way that continues on into their relationship and makes you feel icky. He realizes his mistakes, course corrects, and pretty quickly is able to admit that he feels love for our main character. I love Catherine Winters and how she'
Ana
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it

After my Mary Balogh rereading spree, I decided to try and read something of hers I haven't read before. And trust me, that's not an easy thing to do. So, I decided to give one of her older series a try (*cough* because I read all the new ones *cough*)

You know, in some books you can just tell that they were written 20 years ago or so. This is definitely the case here. Well, in some author's cases at least, Mary Balogh's style, or it would be more precise to say, characte
Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder
NTS: Books 2-3 of the series are expensive! Actually, I think that I own and have read bk 3 in hard-copy!
Kiesha ~ 1Cheekylass
Really enjoyable. ♥♥♥ Very likable characters and secondary characters.
Elisabet Nielsen
9 hearts of 10 on Romanceportalen

Ever since 2015, when I read the last book in The Horsemen Trilogy, Irresistible (which at that time was the only book in the series you could still get in print, the first two books had gone out of print), I have looked forward to reading this book because all references to this particular couple made it sound so enticing. So when I heard that the series would come in a new edition I was, of course, overjoyed.

And this book really lived up to my expe
Janine Ballard
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1997-releases

This was my third time reading Indiscreet. I first read it in the early 2000s because it was recommended by a number of people in a romance readers’ Yahoo group I belonged to. On rereading it recently, I was glad to see that it is still a terrific read even now. Some aspects of the beginning are a little dated, but the second half packs quite a punch.

Catherine, a respectable widow, is living in a small village cottage when Rex, a viscount and twin to the local no
Amyiw
re-read October 1, 2016 (3.75 stars, pretty good on reread)
1st- July 28, 2012 (2 stars)
Wow, I really didn't like this on first read. It came out in audiobook so I decided to do a re-read in audio. It has a decent but plain narrator, not bad but nothing notable either. Maybe just as well as you get the story that way and less the acting of it. Still I like some narrators that bring it alive with their take.

On re-read I actually liked it through the whole story and didn't f
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 29, 2015 03:57PM

• With This Ring
  • His Lordship's Mistress
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • River of Fire (Fallen Angels, #6)
  • An Unwilling Bride (Company of Rogues, #2)
  • In for a Penny
  • Knave's Wager
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • A Regency Christmas
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more

Horsemen Trilogy (3 books)
  • Unforgiven (Horsemen Trilogy, #2)
  • Irresistible (Horsemen Trilogy, #3)
“Rapists do not deserve to live.” And” 0 likes
“I suppose,” he said, his voice harsher than he had intended it to be, “you want marriage again.” “No,” she said quickly. “No, never that. Not again. Why would any woman willingly make herself the property of a man and suffer all the humiliation of submerging her character and her very identity in his?” 0 likes