Start by marking “William Eggleston's Guide” as Want to Read:
William Eggleston's Guide

William Eggleston's Guide

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  2,630 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
William Eggleston's Guide was the first one-man show of color photographs ever presented at The Museum of Modern Art, New York, and the Museum's first publication of color photography. The reception was divided and passionate. The book and show unabashedly forced the art world to deal with color photography, a medium scarcely taken seriously at the time, and with the verna ...more
Published October 2nd 2002 by Museum of Modern Art (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about William Eggleston's Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about William Eggleston's Guide

Dan
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
I know it's weird to say that I "read" a photo book, but I am referring to the introduction written by John Szarkowski.
Morgan
Aug 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: photography
I love the introductory essay by John Szarkowski, in which he discusses the transition to colour photography (in the art world), and how & why Eggleston succeeded where other photographers failed to find a way of making successful work in colour.

Even with that context, though, I still don't love Eggleston. With the exception of a couple of landscapes later in the book that made me hold my breath in awe, I'll still take Stephen Shore any day.
dv
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fotografia
Edizione che riproduce fedelmente (e con stampa economica, ma decente) il libro che accompagnò la storica mostra al MoMA del 1976, vale a dire il momento storico in cui la fotografia a colori venne "sdoganata" in campo artistico. Corpus di immagini potente e importantissimo, in apertura un altrettanto fondamentale e celebre saggio di John Szarkowski in cui si analizza il tema dell'uso "descrittivo" del colore in fotografia, con alcune note particolarmente attente su Eggleston stesso (in particol ...more
Powells.com
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Eggleston's work is dedicated to showing the beauty, humor and horror that surround us at all times and in all places. Forty-eight images of this viewpoint are captured here. Be sure to check out Walker Evans' Polaroids book - also on my "best of 2002" list.
Recommended by Amy
Al
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book flipped my lid, opened my eyes, charmed me, made me turn a rich leafy green with envy, and seeing these printed in your own hands is a plus as opposed to seeing them online.
Joshua
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
As a serious photographer from Oklahoma, William Eggleston has always been an inspiring person for me since he has based his career on photographing Mississippi and the South. I've been photographing what's around me in Oklahoma since I got a Nikon FM2 and even though I live in Los Angeles now, I'm still more inspired by Oklahoma than I am this city...I take less photos here that's for sure.

My issue with this book is it is too sleight, with only a handful of Eggleston's work. There are more com
ManRepeller
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fall-2015
Picked by: Krista

Most photographers will think choosing Eggleston as a favorite photographer is a little unoriginal, but there's something that keeps me going back to this book from his 1976 MoMA retrospective. On top of the striking photographs, make sure you read the opening essay by John Szarkowski, New York's Museum of Modern Art's then-Directory of Photography. It's one of the best essays on what it means to photograph in a technologically advancing age.
Kanwaljit Deol
Oct 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I bought this book thinking it would have comments on each photo by Szarkowski whom I admire absolutely. It turned out to have only a long, albeit brilliant, essay at the beginning. The rest is Eggleston's photos, which, except for a few, don't do much for me. The essay, though, is inspirational.
RB
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Surprise, an Eggleston book by this reviewer received five stars.
The introduction to "William Eggleston's Guide" does an adroit job of setting into context the transition into colour photography as well as informing the reader, had she not known before, about William Eggleston's place in art history.
Will you enjoy this book? Hard to say. This book is an emotional experience that refuses to tell, just how, exactly, it works its magic on the viewer. Clean compositions of landscapes and rural e
Bill Thomas
Jul 18, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book is a joke, from the pretentious, verbose introduction the boring, washed out, pointless photographs, it's just a piece of shit.

We're you all bored in the 70's, when this document was released and stirred up all sorts of "controversy"?

Any collector of fine art photography will probably feel as though he or she should have it in their collection as it's considered such a classic. I know that I felt that way and bought it sight unseen. Next time I'll just set the money on fire or hand it
James
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Eggleston is Eggleston. Some of his work is just perfect, while some of it seems very worthy of the condemnation heaped on him by Ansel Adams and others. He broke ground, and he was a personality, which the arts seem to need. Having read Szarkozy's introduction to this collection I get what he meant to the era. I consider him a bit of a role model for urban and rural reportage in America. But I've also seen the documentary, and I know what a mess he was as a human being. The book is worth a look ...more
Susan Klinke
I didn't get much out of the writing. I like the photos, but the quality of them in my book (a library copy) is not very good. These photos have/use(?) a snapshot aesthetic, and Eggleston is known to be the (or at least one of the) first photographers to use color film in a way that the modern art world accepted as fine art. Black & white was what most fine art photographers used to take "serious" pictures. I'm still not clear just what the difference is between snapshots and the snapshot ae ...more
Xavier
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Entiendo que este el libro fue la compañía de una exhibición, y que quizá el contexto de aquella misma nos pintaba un mejor panorama de la obra del artista, sin embargo, siento que queda a deber en el volumen del contenido, en especial si el libro lleva de título la palabra 'guía'. Me acerqué a las publicación por la curiosidad de saber más sobre el artista y su obra y me quedo con una sensación de no haber comprendido bien el arte de Eggleston.
Jereme
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I get Eggleston. "Guide" is a fun read that's good for the occasional creative jolt. It probably deserves more than three stars from me, and I want to give it more, but I just can't. There's better Eggleston stuff out there. And while his style was groundbreaking at the time, many others have carried his ideas further and are coming up with photography far more interesting than what's in "Guides." So, three stars. But three gold foil stars.
Neo
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
I love this collection. I'm not sure there is much more to say. Either you get his work, and appreciate what he did to bring color photography into fine art, or you don't. I'd love to see the larger set of images from which this is taken.
Zioluc
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fotografia
Splendide le foto, buona la riproduzione, e un'introduzione di Szarkowski sulla fotografia come arte ancora attualissima e davvero interessante.
Joe
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
The photos are great explorations of color. What really got me, though, was John Szarkowski's introductory essay. A beautiful piece of writing full of insight.
Seanezell1984
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Boring things really are boring.
Ondřej Trhoň
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: foto
Revolucionář barvou, záznam běžného života, výborná práce s odstíny. Škoda horšího tisku a přeintelektualizované předmluvy.
Matthew
May 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful.
Sharon
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this!
Marieka
Jun 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
My #1 favorite photographer.
Warren
Apr 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone with eyes
Shelves: non-fiction
What good are words? One of the most influencial and beautiful books on photograpy I've ever read.
George Seminara
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jealousy abounds.
Natalie
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Unique views by a unique person. I think it still is groundbraking work.
Joe
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
what a photographer! excellent
F.C. Etier
Eggleston is one of my most significant inspirations as a photographer.
Michael
  • Francesca Woodman
  • Walker Evans: The Hungry Eye
  • Vivian Maier: Street Photographer
  • Street Photography Now
  • The Photograph as Contemporary Art (World of Art)
  • Cindy Sherman: Untitled Films Stills
  • Diane Arbus: Untitled
  • Tulsa
  • The Art of the American Snapshot, 1888-1978: From the Collection of Robert E. Jackson
Born in Memphis and raised in Sumner, Mississippi, William Eggleston was, even in youth, more interested in art and observing the world around him than in the more popular southern boyhood pursuits of hunting and sports. While he dabbled in obtaining an education at a succession of colleges including Vanderbilt and Ole Miss, he became interested in the work of Robert Frank and Henri Cartier-Bresso ...more
More about William Eggleston...